Friday, November 16th 2012

Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc., today announced that for the fourth consecutive year, the Call of Duty franchise has delivered the biggest entertainment launch of the year. The highly-anticipated Call of Duty: Black Ops II has achieved an estimated sell-through of more than $500 million worldwide in the first 24 hours of its release, according to Chart-Track, retail customer sell-through information and internal company estimates.

"With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars," the two most successful movie franchises of all time. Given the challenged macro-economic environment, we remain cautious about the balance of 2012 and 2013."

On November 13, 2012, millions of fans attended more than 16,000 midnight openings at retail stores worldwide. Reflecting the wave of excitement that swept the globe, Call of Duty: Black Ops II drove social conversation in its first 24 hours as it was a top trending topic globally on Twitter in 23 cities worldwide. Additionally, there have been more than 30 million YouTube video views of the game's live-action 'Surprise' launch trailer since its release on October 29, 2012.

"Call of Duty has become more than a product people buy, it's a brand people buy into. And every November we do more than just the launch of a game, we kick off an annual, unofficial but worldwide phenomenon called the Call of Duty season," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "I want to thank our incredible team at Treyarch for making an amazing game, everyone at Activision for making this brand a force of nature and our retail partners for their unprecedented support of this franchise. But most importantly I want to thank our millions of fans for their continued support and loyalty and for making us better every day."

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is available at retail locations worldwide on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC. The title is also expected to be released in North America for the new Wii U game system from Nintendo on November 18, 2012.

93 Comments on Call Of Duty: Black Ops II Passes $500 Million In Retail Sales In First 24 Hours

Steven B
i think same rules apply, if the single player is any good then the MP sucks, like BF3(I thought BF3's MP was the worst POS I have ever seen, and I got a free sample of the game for god sakes) Its SP however was much better than BFBC2, probably something they worked on more than its MP. I mean really. And if the SP is bad then the MP is great like BFBC2.

Same rules apply to MOH, its SP was awesome, prob most realistic I have ever seen. However its MP was pointless people running around doing each other up their behinds, it was stupid, you kill someone and then you got killed, you didn't even have time to aim but you always killed someone and then got killed. I think COD is kind of a mid range type deal, I didn't really like its MP on COD4.

I mean either you have resources to put into SP or into MP, most people like MP now, and don't even touch upon SP.

Anyways I wouldn't run out to buy a new game right now, id deff let its price go down at least 25%.
Ikaruga
Steven B said:
Oh, please tell me this is just a joke.. BF3 SP was good? You mean the credits, or where?
Steven B
Ikaruga said:
compared to BFBC2 it was very good
BumbleBee
I thought EA did a decent job on the original Medal of Honor single player campaigns but guess what.. Infinity Ward made that lol
aayman_farzand
BF3's SP was a joke, and it's MP is far away from being the worst. It's probably the only true PC game right now, and I absolutely love it. Some things are bad, won't claim it's all good, but saying its the worst only shows you haven't seen worse games.

I thought MOH's SP was decent as well. Nothing too spectacular, but not too bad either.
ReTiCuLe
The game is actually fun, because it's like the rest of them. "EASY" I don't have to think, I just point, and click and I magically have a score. In addition, if there were dedicated servers, it might actually make it on PC. Oh well, just something to do till Planetside 2 comes out. I bought this thinking they had dedi servers, good thing I returned my brothers copy after we opened mine to see this.
Ikaruga
Steven B said:
compared to BFBC2 it was very good
Except that almost all game review sites think otherwise. Bfbc2's SP camping had much better reception than what BF3 had while people equally liked the MP of both titles. I'm not saying that Bfbc2 SP was an unforgettable experience (because it wasn't), but the BF3 SP was so bad that I couldn't even finish because it was just painfully stupid and boring, and I had to stop at about 70% to save braincells. You could say that it was just me only, but the rest of the Internet disagrees:)
btarunr
Editor & Senior Moderator
I should become a map designer.
Raw
Even if you HATE the game COD BO2

Even if you HATE the game COD BO2...what Activision Treyarch did to the consumers is just wrong.

I paid for the game and early ordered it with the understanding Nuketown was to be included as a map, playable 24/7.

They pulled the map, it's gone.
That's not right. That's just wrong.

They said now they will offer it on special occasions.
Really?

What about false advertising?
Who in the hell do these people think they are that they can pull BS like that?
I hope they get sued bigtime and have to give back that half a BILLION dollars they got in the first day.

Yes... I KNOW the game sucks and BF3 is better. I'm sure I'll hear that from some.
But the point is not the games in particular, it's the way these companies treat the consumers.
We are all just sheep to them, sheep with money to blindly toss their way with zero rights.

Pisses me off, once again.

:mad:
ReTiCuLe
If it makes you feel any better. I didn't preorder, and the Nuketown map was told to be available when I purchased it. How I see it, they're trying to keep us in suspense. Wanting more when they have these events. They're trying desperately to keep a dieing series alive. The only reason it's still around is due to the learning curve it takes and its popularity amongst every household knowing the name.
Raw
I have to vent

ReTiCuLe said:
Well, if they are or are not trying to keep someone in "suspense" has nothing to do with what I am bitching about.

I am bitching because I bought something based on their advertising promise, and it's not there now.

That sounds like it's illegal.

Now I will keep them in "suspense"...they can sit and wonder if I will ever buy another product from them.
Let them keep looking for my next dollar.

You know it's not like I haven't spent a lot of money on this crap.
I have 4 kids and 7 grandkids. I have been buying this gaming software for years, for everyone.
My wife and myself included.
If I add it all up it would scare me, the amount of money I have tossed that way.
Not to mention all the hardware to play. It's a ton of money.
I'm getting pissed...more and more every day.

Lousy User Agreements, lousy software programming, krap games, redundancy, all of it.
And now shady stuff like this from Treyarch.

Man, I almost feel better after this vent.
I need my Zannex now. My Neuro Transmitters and Receptors are short circuiting a bit.
exodusprime1337
idk.. been playing since the day after release. It's all to similar to previous games, but at the same time there are differences. It runs extremely well, at least for me it does, and the fov and framerate settings in game are nice for once. The mechanics feel solid, although my bullets don't really feel like killing anybody.... It's just a fun casual game, i play mmo's mostly, i just use cod games to blow of steam and feel like i accomplished something unlike some of the many hours i've sunk into mmo's and not accomplished shit lol.
ReTiCuLe
I understand where you're coming from. I am not buying another COD title after this either. I already skipped out on MW3. I am just trying to sell myself on it without being aggravated over my purchase.

As far as the Xanax goes. I'd say a beer would be better. Don't submit to benzo's over Treyarch. That's more of a fire than your $65 purchase. Personally i'd say try Buspar :D Just saying :P

Raw said:

That sounds like it's illegal.

Let them keep looking for my next dollar.

You know it's not like I haven't spent a lot of money on this crap.
My wife and myself included.
Not to mention all the hardware to play. It's a ton of money.
I'm getting pissed...more and more every day.

And now shady stuff like this from Treyarch.

Man, I almost feel better after this vent.
Raw
Never did...waste of time, money and life to me.

ReTiCuLe said:

Just kidding over the drug thing, I don't do them.

But I've been known to have a couple ales now and again.
:toast: