Tuesday, November 14th 2017

Mozilla Announces Firefox Quantum Web-browser

Mozilla today released the Firefox Quantum web-browser for PCs. Technically version 57.0 of Firefox, Quantum comes with an overhauled user-interface, a more evolved multi-process sandbox than Google Chrome, and is geared for both performance and lower memory footprint. Mozilla claims that web-rendering performance has been doubled over the previous version (Firefox 56.0), making it play in a league above Google Chrome. It's also designed to have up to 30% smaller memory footprint than Chrome.

Firefox Quantum takes advantage of the very latest CPU instruction sets, and GPU features, to accelerate web-rendering, with a focus on keeping the interface as smooth as possible, without losing out on the quality of rendering. It also adds WebVR and and WASM support in-built, broadening its feature-set for browser-based gaming. Grab Firefox from the link below.
DOWNLOAD: Mozilla Firefox Quantum
Add your own comment

87 Comments on Mozilla Announces Firefox Quantum Web-browser

#1
BiggieShady
bug said:
Font rendering is configurable. Scroll bars idk, I don't see anything different.
Spent some time fiddling with clear type settings and rendering mode, had some success but couldn't get consistent look for all fonts I see on the websites I visit, and scrollbars on chrome are css style-able and by default they are flat, semi transparent and auto hidden.
Posted on Reply
#2
bug
BiggieShady said:
Spent some time fiddling with clear type settings and rendering mode, had some success but couldn't get consistent look for all fonts I see on the websites I visit, and scrollbars on chrome are css style-able and by default they are flat, semi transparent and auto hidden.
Well, if it ain't for you, it ain't for you...
Posted on Reply
#3
BiggieShady
bug said:
Well, if it ain't for you, it ain't for you...
Yeah, No, I kinda need all browsers installed as many other developers do ... they are all for me :laugh: weather I like it or not
Posted on Reply
#4
bug
BiggieShady said:
Yeah, No, I kinda need all browsers installed as many other developers do ... they are all for me :laugh: weather I like it or not
Ah, another fellow developer. I keep several browsers around, too, but I tend to stick mainly with one. And that's Firefox at work and Seamonkey at home.
Posted on Reply
#5
BiggieShady
bug said:
Ah, another fellow developer. I keep several browsers around, too, but I tend to stick mainly with one. And that's Firefox at work and Seamonkey at home.
Let's not forget also the necessity of separating home from work ... I'm guilty of using different themes/color schemes for the same software so it seems different ... it can make a man go off topic in a forum thread too
Posted on Reply
#7
bug
lexluthermiester said:
Why SeaMonkey?
It's got the non-dumbed down settings that I grew fond of. In some instances it's easier for me to adjust a setting in SeaMonkey, look for the change and apply it to Firefox in about:config.
But there's a strong chance SeaMonkey and I will part ways soon, because it seems it's no longer maintained. I had Vivaldi in my sights, but Firefox 57 just made it harder to choose.
Posted on Reply
#8
lexluthermiester
bug said:
It's got the non-dumbed down settings that I grew fond of. In some instances it's easier for me to adjust a setting in SeaMonkey, look for the change and apply it to Firefox in about:config.
But there's a strong chance SeaMonkey and I will part ways soon, because it seems it's no longer maintained. I had Vivaldi in my sights, but Firefox 57 just made it harder to choose.
Ah. Have you checked out WaterFox? Been using it for a while now and it's quite good.
Posted on Reply
#9
bug
lexluthermiester said:
Ah. Have you checked out WaterFox? Been using it for a while now and it's quite good.
I haven't tried that, but it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.
Posted on Reply
#10
Litzner
It has been losing the ability to input any typing in the web-based vSphere hyper-visor, which I have confirmed across multiple devices. Now I have to use IE. :(

I would give my left nut for a web-browser that just worked with everything, I wouldn't even care if it was a little slower.
Posted on Reply
#11
bug
Litzner said:
I would give my left nut for a web-browser that just worked with everything, I wouldn't even care if it was a little slower.
Such a browser cannot exist.
If a browser is fully standards compliant, it cannot correctly render web sites that are not. And vice versa.
Microsoft tried to solve this with their compatibility mode, but even that didn't work because you have to know what you're trying to be compatible with.
Posted on Reply
#12
amit_talkin
Been using Firefox since 1.5. First thing I even download after installing the OS is Firefox!! I always keep my firefox data backup ready, in fact I still have firefox data backups of year 2007 which was taken with FEBE extension.New update is great! Its very fast! Previously it took over a second to launch the browser on SSD, now with quantum update, its blazing fast!! It almost gets launched within clicking on its icon. Also less memory footprints than previous builds.Although I miss my FireFTP, IETab, NASA NightLaunch, FlashGot,Bugmenot and many more extensions, Firefox will be my first choice of browsers. I hope this new update will bring back those users who switched to chrome over past years.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment