Thursday, November 13th 2008

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is Now Officially Here

Today sees the release of Blizzard's last World of Warcraft installment, the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. This is the second expansion to date, making the MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) game by far the largest in the world. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King features a massive new continent called Northrend, the brand-new death knight Hero class, unique dungeons, an open-world PvP zone with siege vehicles and destructible buildings, and hundreds of brand-new quests. The expansion is available in both a standard and Collector's Edition. The Collector's edition includes the original game DVD, a 208-page book featuring never-before-seen images from the game, an exclusive in-game pet, a behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, a soundtrack CD with 21 songs, and an exclusive mouse pad with a map of the newly opened continent of Northrend. The game should already be available everywhere, have fun playing it.Source: Blizzard
Add your own comment

76 Comments on World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is Now Officially Here

#1
Evo85
Fuse-Wire said:
Hey something just came to me, WOW reminds me of dungeon and dragons, all those old school fans who thought it was cool, then 3 years down the line they realise what aload of garbage.
Its 4 years later, and it is growing............

So much for that school of thought :nutkick:
Posted on Reply
#2
Fuse-Wire
mdm-adph said:
Ugh -- just replace every instance of "WoW" in your post with "football" and you make almost the same point. :banghead:
Point 1: I live in Scotland, i pray for the day i can play football for 16 hours a day, i pray for 16 hours of daylight full stop.
Point 2: For me there are no more points.

But seriously man these people make the rest of civilisation look bad :eek:
Posted on Reply
#3
Fuse-Wire
Evo85 said:
Its 4 years later, and it is growing............

So much for that school of thought :nutkick:
So is scientoligy! :nutkick:
Posted on Reply
#4
mdm-adph
Fuse-Wire said:

But seriously man these people make the rest of civilisation look bad :eek:
I'd say the same thing about a lot of football fans I know. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#5
Fuse-Wire
mdm-adph said:
I'd say the same thing about a lot of football fans I know. :laugh:
Well Im SCOTTISH and am a football fan, your thinking of ENGLAND as in hooligans,

hey look at my avatar, see that team and then look at the FIFA fair play award for good fan behaviour, we have won it 4-5 times in the last 10 years,

This is like comparing Canadians to Americans, we might share a border and a language but that is where is stops lol!!

Though in Green Street fashion if i saw Eligha Wood walking down the street i would probably punch him lol, thats not hooliganism but it's just because he ruined LOTR, he's no football hooligan, you could pick him up and chuck the squirt into a bin lol
Posted on Reply
#6
mdm-adph
Oh, of course -- I forgot that Scots are complete angels when compared to the English. :p

Either way -- like it's said in America, "different strokes for different folks." :laugh: I know WoW players and football fans, and I'd much rather hang around the WoW players.
Posted on Reply
#7
techie81
If it wasn't $40 I would have bought it. I think under $20 would be fair.
Posted on Reply
#8
Fuse-Wire
mdm-adph said:
Oh, of course -- I forgot that Scots are complete angels when compared to the English. :p

Either way -- like it's said in America, "different strokes for different folks." :laugh: I know WoW players and football fans, and I'd much rather hang around the WoW players.
Well we are, are you on about football or "Soccer"?? WoW people who enjoy football are one thing, WoW people who PLAY football just don't exist!! Well i would rather hang around with people not elves!! :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#9
mdm-adph
Fuse-Wire said:
Well we are, are you on about football or "Soccer"?? WoW people who enjoy football are one thing, WoW people who PLAY football just don't exist!! Well i would rather hang around with people not elves!! :laugh:
Well, I'd rather sleep with elves. People don't take nearly as great care of their hair.

I seriously don't understand where this stereotype of "fat, smelly MMORPG players" come from, because from what I see on a daily basis, it couldn't be farther from the truth.
Posted on Reply
#10
NinkobEi
seriously fuse...we get it "you dont like WoW" - who cares I'll do whatever the hell I want with my time. It's actually a really good game and yes it takes a lot of time.
Posted on Reply
#11
Fuse-Wire
mdm-adph said:
Well, I'd rather sleep with elves. People don't take nearly as great care of their hair.

I seriously don't understand where this stereotype of "fat, smelly MMORPG players" come from, because from what I see on a daily basis, it couldn't be farther from the truth.
i never said anything about them being smelly but it seems you know more than i do, and if you like elves over humans then there is something no quite right maytee!!:laugh: but you aint seen my friend emma's hair then, elves got nothing on her!!
More to the point WoW is just soooooo antisocial in a poeple on people way, its hard enough trying to talk to Spud when he is playing fallout let alone talk to someone playing WoW.
The TF2 clan i was with disbanded becasue the host got glues to WoW and never played no more!!
Turn on BBC News 24 if you can, they are discussing it now!!
Posted on Reply
#12
mdm-adph
Fuse-Wire said:
i never said anything about them being smelly but it seems you know more than i do, and if you like elves over humans then there is something no quite right maytee!!:laugh: but you aint seen my friend emma's hair then, elves got nothing on her!!
More to the point WoW is just soooooo antisocial in a poeple on people way, its hard enough trying to talk to Spud when he is playing fallout let alone talk to someone playing WoW.
The TF2 clan i was with disbanded becasue the host got glues to WoW and never played no more!!
Turn on BBC News 24 if you can, they are discussing it now!!
On the contrary -- there have been studies upon studies about how MMORPG's are incredibly social activities. I recommend reading a little bit about the Daedalus project -- it's by a guy called Nick Yee, a recent graduate of Stanford University in California who got his PHD studying the social aspects of MMORPG's.

Just because you can't talk to those people who play MMO's doesn't mean it's antisocial -- I can't seem to hold a conversation with anyone interested in, say, sport fishing, but I don't call sport fishing "antisocial" because of that. :laugh:
Posted on Reply
#13
Fuse-Wire
mdm-adph said:
On the contrary -- there have been studies upon studies about how MMORPG's are incredibly social activities. I recommend reading a little bit about the Daedalus project -- it's by a guy called Nick Yee, a recent graduate of Stanford University in California who got his PHD studying the social aspects of MMORPG's.

Just because you can't talk to those people who play MMO's doesn't mean it's antisocial -- I can't seem to hold a conversation with anyone interested in, say, sport fishing, but I don't call sport fishing "antisocial" because of that. :laugh:
Well i think it's just gone a little to digital for my liking and call me old fashioned there is nothing wrong with meeting up and having a good banter away from the PC, maybe it's just a trans-atlantic thing i don't know but i ken this much that here in scotland folk would rather go out and meet each other, hae a banter and generally have a good laugh, rather than sit in front of a computer monitor talking to pixels ( i do know some exceptions).

Maybe 1 or 2 hours of gameplay every couple of nights on COD or SOF2 and that does me, too many folk now wasting away on these MMORPG.
Posted on Reply
#14
Fuse-Wire
Ninkobwi said:
seriously fuse...we get it "you dont like WoW" - who cares I'll do whatever the hell I want with my time. It's actually a really good game and yes it takes a lot of time.
Seriously Ninkobwi i don't really care what you do with your time i have my own to get on with, games like WoW with such a serious amount of time on its hands should be dealt with in moderation, that really is getting down to the root of my point overall.
Single player games like X2 hey they are just as bad and i will admit i was hooked on that just it was a single player so i rarely ever spent many hours on it!

here is a serious question then, what else do you do on your PC apart from browse the web and play WoW?:D
Posted on Reply
#15
thoughtdisorder
To each their own. I myself enjoy WoW in moderation as a nice form of escapism. I can think of worse forms of escapism, so I'm not sure what's up with the bashing.:shadedshu

Btw, there are plenty of reliable free servers out there that run on donations, no need to pay a subscription.:)
Posted on Reply
#16
Fuse-Wire
thoughtdisorder said:
To each their own. I myself enjoy WoW in moderation as a nice form of escapism. I can think of worse forms of escapism, so I'm not sure what's up with the bashing.:shadedshu

Btw, there are plenty of reliable free servers out there that run on donations, no need to pay a subscription.:)
fair enough, in moderation ok, but it's the people who goto the extremes and live for WoW i can't handle, plus why wander around for weeks on end?? grab a rifle and shoot someone :toast:
Posted on Reply
#17
mdm-adph
Fuse-Wire said:
Well i think it's just gone a little to digital for my liking and call me old fashioned there is nothing wrong with meeting up and having a good banter away from the PC, maybe it's just a trans-atlantic thing i don't know but i ken this much that here in scotland folk would rather go out and meet each other, hae a banter and generally have a good laugh, rather than sit in front of a computer monitor talking to pixels ( i do know some exceptions).

Maybe 1 or 2 hours of gameplay every couple of nights on COD or SOF2 and that does me, too many folk now wasting away on these MMORPG.
Trans-atlantic thing? What's that got to do with anything? Considering the amount of subscribers WoW has in Europe, I don't think people are any different there. :laugh:

(By the way, I love how the Europeans on this board think I'm from the US, and the Americans on this board think I'm from Europe. It's a hoot. :laugh:)
Posted on Reply
#18
TheMailMan78
Big Member
mdm-adph said:
I know this may come as a shock, but different people like spending their money on different things. I'm sure you can find more information about this on the "Internet."
There is no need to be condescending. What I said was I didn't understand. I didn't say it was wrong in any way. Your life. Your choice. Just don't get belligerent.

mdm-adph said:
By the way, I love how the Europeans on this board think I'm from the US, and the Americans on this board think I'm from Europe. It's a hoot. :laugh:)
I'm glad you think I think that.
Posted on Reply
#19
mdm-adph
I wasn't being condescending -- I was being sarcastic. Condescending implies that I'm superior in some way, and I'm definitely not sitting here thinking that while debating the in's-and-out's of bloody video games with anonymous jokers on the Internet. :shadedshu
Posted on Reply
#20
TheMailMan78
Big Member
mdm-adph said:
I wasn't being condescending -- I was being sarcastic. Condescending implies that I'm superior in some way, and I'm definitely not sitting here thinking that while debating the in's-and-out's of bloody video games with anonymous jokers on the Internet. :shadedshu
Well then what you may think and what you say are two different things. Anyway in the future don't quote me just to insult me. Unless its called for and in this case it was not.
Posted on Reply
#21
Kreij
Senior Monkey Moderator
This was in the latest GameSpy Daily e-mail :laugh:
In Anaheim, California, the line to get autographed copies of the game stretched around the warehouse-sized Fry's electronics store, across the parking lot, along the side of the parking lot, past the radio station van, all the way to the freeway, where it followed along the side of the road for who knows how long. I'd use the word "epic" to describe it.
Posted on Reply
#22
mdm-adph
TheMailMan78 said:
Well then what you may think and what you say are two different things. Anyway in the future don't quote me just to insult me. Unless its called for and in this case it was not.
No, what I say and what you infer are two completely different things, as usual. If you want to be insulted, you're going to be insulted -- there's a neverending horde of people like you on the Internet, getting insulted at every little criticism someone makes of their thoughts.

You make a tired, superficial comment about not "understanding" why someone chooses to spend their money the way they do, and I call your comment out as pointless, like it is. If you can't handle that, you're either very new to the Internet, or you need to find another thread to comment in. You're obviously not a WoW fan anyway, so please go elsewhere.
Posted on Reply
#23
thoughtdisorder
@ Mdm and Mailman, I know how to settle this. Both join WoW. One as a Horde character and one as an Alliance. Both level up to 70 then meet on the battle grounds. You guys can settle this once and for all! :roll:
Posted on Reply
#24
zithe
Fuse-Wire said:

WoW is just soooo antisocial!!
I thought WoW was boring unless my friends played. Gave me a reason to log on.
Posted on Reply
#25
Ahhzz
Most of the fun in WoW is the camaraderie, unless you're a total @ssh@t. Then, you get a kick out of being a little prick with a little prick, trying to have a big eprick. Those are the ones I love to gank. Again. :)
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment