• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is my 20meg line so slow

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
my wireless B gets better connection speeds than your G just get a new router....

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting thread, especially for a networking noob like myself :D

In regards to FIOS, i also had to use Verizon speed optimizer to optimize my connection. This could be a FIOS thing as its somewhat different than other connection types. I also dont trust speedtest.net anymore, i just download or upload a file as niko said and use Verizon's own Speed Test.

My current plan is 10 Mb/s down and 2 Mb/s up but Verizon speed test tells me that its actually 7.9 Mb/s down and 1.9 Mb/s up. It actually improved somewhat after running the speed optimizer (used to be around 6.5 Mb/s down) and web surfing also improved, became smoother & more responsive. But in reality i have never been able to download a file faster than 4.5 Mb/s. It was explained to me that are multiple factors that contribute to the slower download time, things like which website stuff is being downloaded from, time of day and amount of internet traffic and so worth. I'm on a wired connection, btw, pc is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. I never tried to optimize the router, just dont know how to, all i did was encrypt as it also has wireless capability.

If you are not getting the speed you pay for call the fios solutions center and let them check your loop. Are you using the latest firmware for your router? Could be a fiber with some bad splices...:)

As for the fios speed optimizer, it sets tcp/ip and mtu to what verizon has chosen to be appropriate...:laugh: for the average user. I have 15/2 and this is what I get
View attachment 23843
at:http://infospeed.verizon.net/fttp/speedtest9000k.asp

Last edited:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
If you are not getting the speed you pay for call the fios solutions center and let them check your loop. Are you using the latest firmware for your router? Could be a fiber with some bad splices...:)

As for the fios speed optimizer, it sets tcp/ip and mtu to what verizon has chosen to be appropriate...:laugh: for the average user. I have 15/2 and this is what I get
View attachment 23843
at:http://infospeed.verizon.net/fttp/speedtest9000k.asp

Thnx, i will def give them a call and do as you said. I dont know about firmware for the router as this one was recently put in. Since i added FIOS cable service the techs insisted that my D-Link router had to be replaced with Verizon's ActionTeK because it has the port to connect the cable for FIOS cable service and my old one didnt. But even if i do find out that firmware is out of date i wouldnt know how to update anyway.

Since you use their service did you have to optimize the router in any way to get better performance? also, what is your actual d/l speed, not the speed test? Mine does differ a lot as i sed.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
i dont know if buying a new N router will really be worth it. yea you will connect at a faster rate but that doesnt mean you will automatically get the speed you want outta your 20meg line. i guess it is worth a shot but buy it from a place that you can get a full refund if it doesnt work out the way you hope.

The only real reason I say it would be worth it is if the speed is driving you nuts. N has better range and doesn't have a lot of the same overhead and constant re-negotiation issues. It is known to hold connections are a faster rate over the same distance better.
Is it worth it or not, well that's another question.

Interesting thread, especially for a networking noob like myself :D

In regards to FIOS, i also had to use Verizon speed optimizer to optimize my connection. This could be a FIOS thing as its somewhat different than other connection types. I also dont trust speedtest.net anymore, i just download or upload a file as niko said and use Verizon's own Speed Test.

My current plan is 10 Mb/s down and 2 Mb/s up but Verizon speed test tells me that its actually 7.9 Mb/s down and 1.9 Mb/s up. It actually improved somewhat after running the speed optimizer (used to be around 6.5 Mb/s down) and web surfing also improved, became smoother & more responsive. But in reality i have never been able to download a file faster than 4.5 Mb/s. It was explained to me that are multiple factors that contribute to the slower download time, things like which website stuff is being downloaded from, time of day and amount of internet traffic and so worth. I'm on a wired connection, btw, pc is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. I never tried to optimize the router, just dont know how to, all i did was encrypt as it also has wireless capability.

Running it can very well improve your speed, there is no question about that. And it is true that windows is automatically tuned for a certain speed *that speed I don't remember exactly what is*. But it doesn't mean you "can't" transfer faster, it is by no means a "limit".

There is quite a bit you can do to improve not only your throughput, but your ping speeds as well.

P

Ptep

Ok guys I picked these out, will these do the job?? I want to get full signal and no slow downs or anything! So I hope these will work perfectly??

***http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363***

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336044

Any suggestions?? or are these good enough?

This would be the wrong bit of kit for you, the router has an ADSL (BT line based) modem built in. You want a wireless router WITHOUT modem - the modem itself is supplied and owned by NTL/VirginMedia.
You may well need to speak to NTL about a new modem if the one you have is not an (Ambit) NTL 200 or 250.

Also to the guy who said about Windows TCP/IP being capped at 10Mbit for WAN; it most definately is not, the FiOS optimization is purely for their services and does not apply (for the most part) to the majority of ISPs.

System Name The Metadis
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock B650 RS Pro
Cooling MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R V2
Memory 32GB G-Skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000mhz CL32
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RX 7900XTX OC 24GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB Gen4 nvme + Sabrent Rocket Pro 500GB Nvme Gen3
Display(s) LG C2 42" 4K 120hz OLED
Case NZXT H6 Flow
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Edition XS - Ifi Zen DAC V2 - 7Hz x Crinacle Salnotes Dioko 14.6m Planar Diaphragm Drive IEM
Power Supply Seasonic G12 GM - 850W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 ELITE RGB Optical FPS Gaming Mouse (18000 DPI Optical Sensor)
Keyboard Redragon K648 90% Wired Aluminium Mechanical - Rock-Solid Metal Board Built-in Noise Absorbing Foams
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11 64-bit
So I should just call NTL about the modem I am using??? and see if they can supply me a new one that can use the 20 meg line?

Also would it be recommended to get a new router too?? or does that even matter???

I will get a new wireless adapter as the one I got is simply not good enough!

Thanks for any help!

P

Ptep

So I should just call NTL about the modem I am using??? and see if they can supply me a new one that can use the 20 meg line?

Also would it be recommended to get a new router too?? or does that even matter???

I will get a new wireless adapter as the one I got is simply not good enough!

Thanks for any help!

I would first off test your connection with a cable straight out of the modem into a laptop/desktop, and see if that is any faster. Id do that before i spent any money on anything!

To be honest though, I would say your best option is powerline adapters - quite a few other people have suggested them, and im going to throw my 2 pennies in and say they work excellently for everyone else in my house.... My gear is connected direct to my switch :D But certainly no complaints from the rest and far better than the wireless system used before.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I wouldnt trust speedtest, It always says I have 200+ ping when i have 60 ping to a distance 10 times further, and when I can download at 2.4MBPS, when it says I only rate at 9000kbps....

Ive tried about 14-15 other locations, still the same crappy ping.

Only trust actual results.

System Name The Metadis
Case NZXT H6 Flow
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Edition XS - Ifi Zen DAC V2 - 7Hz x Crinacle Salnotes Dioko 14.6m Planar Diaphragm Drive IEM
Keyboard Redragon K648 90% Wired Aluminium Mechanical - Rock-Solid Metal Board Built-in Noise Absorbing Foams
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
My modem only has 1 ethernet cable. ummm..if I went for a powerline how do I connect it up to the modem?? or is it to the router?? How do I go about doing that??

System Name CanOWorms
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard ASRock AB350M
Memory 16GB @ 2933
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 1050 Ti
Storage 256GB MX100 & 1TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4K TV
Case Cougar MX330
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo
Mouse Gamdias Demeter
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10
PS- MCSA, A+, Network+, Security+.

HAH, that's just funny to an old-school hands-on techie like me. I've actually experienced these rare phenomenons of which I speak. You still can't properly explain why SOME internet connections DO need tweaking of Windows settings.

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Do you really need all this equipment? I'm using a normal N router and dongle and get fine speeds, you probably won't get the full 20Mb speeds anyway, but still I get up to 2.2MBPS download speeds which is enough, upload is shite.

What are you going to be using it for? If it's torrents don't bother as they cap the speeds on that, if it's web browsing, download files from normal site and online gaming you should be fine. Also depends on what time/day it is, some days I get about 15Mb other days I get around 10Mb, only a few times when we switched to 20Mb did I actually get 20Mb but it doesn't bother me because I get enough speeds. I browse the web a lot, watch a lot of YouTube videos and play Xbox Live a lot and have never had any complaints about speed. A lot of sites I have downloaded from don't seem to be fast enough to get those download speeds anyway, a lot of sites never pass 1MBPS in download speeds.

Just did a speed test and got:

Download Speed: 14294 kbps (1786.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1118 kbps (139.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 48 ms

P

Ptep

HAH, that's just funny to an old-school hands-on techie like me. I've actually experienced these rare phenomenons of which I speak. You still can't properly explain why SOME internet connections DO need tweaking of Windows settings.

MTU

My modem only has 1 ethernet cable. ummm..if I went for a powerline how do I connect it up to the modem?? or is it to the router?? How do I go about doing that??

You would connect the modem to the router, then a powerline adapter to one of the lan sockets on the router, then a powerline adapter near each pc with an ethernet cable to the NIC. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name CanOWorms
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard ASRock AB350M
Memory 16GB @ 2933
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 1050 Ti
Storage 256GB MX100 & 1TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4K TV
Case Cougar MX330
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo
Mouse Gamdias Demeter
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10
He did... MTU

Yeah and at first he was saying it was impossible that it had to do with Windows' limitations.

Anyway, some expert HE is, that's all I'm saying. Especially to be putting down others.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x

Well, to give you a heads up I spent the last 15 years learning computers inside out and backwards before my certs, so I'm far from some kid who went to school for a few years and thinks he knows it all.

And there is no "phenomenon" with computers, it's a logical circuit and a logical piece of software, therefore there is a perfect explanation for anything that happens. The simple fact that you used that term tells me your knowledge is limited.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
There is quite a bit you can do to improve not only your throughput, but your ping speeds as well.

Could you point those of us that dont know what do in the right direction or explain?

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Could you point those of us that dont know what do in the right direction or explain?

The directions on speedguide.net pretty much sum up about everything you can do to tweak your network connection. It's not that it "limits" your connection, there is no "set" limit as Fleck is saying, it can cause issues for different people in different situations. For myself, tweaking it did next to nothing, and you can see my throughput.

Read these-
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2678
http://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93 *whatever ones apply to you*
Here is another good one-
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1153606,00.asp

Playing around with them will help certain things and can harm other things.
Play around with them a bit and see what works best for you.

The only real limitation windows has as far as networking goes is somewhere around 1gb/s lan connections, systems can have issues literally getting the data to the card fast enough.

When we are talking about lan/wan connections there is a ton that comes into play on your performance. Why do you think we see such considerably different reviews of the KillerNic..

Fleck, I was not trying to be overly offensive, but your statement of windows "LIMITS" WAN at "10mb/s" is simply very untrue. There are things in certain situations however that "can" cause issues, but it is by no means a pre-configured "limit".

If you really want to go nuts on tweaking your network, there are books on advanced network configuration.
They are very long and very informative, you will also find a lot of information you will not need.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBD
System Name The Metadis
Case NZXT H6 Flow
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Ok for a powerline all I do is get 2 of them?
1 goes downstairs and connects up to the router, while the one is plugged upstairs and also connected up to the PC?? as in an ethernet connection?? or USB??

Sounds easy enough!

P

Ptep

Ok for a powerline all I do is get 2 of them?
1 goes downstairs and connects up to the router, while the one is plugged upstairs and also connected up to the PC?? as in an ethernet connection?? or USB??

Sounds easy enough!

Via ethernet at both ends, the powerline plugs are identical for all ends, and have a mains plug one side and an ethernet socket on the other. The only thing you must be careful with is to make sure that the adapter is plugged directly into the wall socket and not on an extension or multiway plug otherwise you might find they dont connect or run at a lower speed (they are tuned for the solid core wiring used inside the house, and dont play nicely with the stranded/twisted core used in extension cables!).

System Name The Metadis
Case NZXT H6 Flow
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Ahhh what a shame!! how on earth am I going to have a spare socket for this plug alone and then having all the plugs for my actual computer??? I have a spare one beside my bed which is unused. Can I use that?? it is about 3 meters away from my desktop???
Will that be fine??

P

Ptep

Ahhh what a shame!! how on earth am I going to have a spare socket for this plug alone and then having all the plugs for my actual computer??? I have a spare one beside my bed which is unused. Can I use that?? it is about 3 meters away from my desktop???
Will that be fine??

Yep that will be fine!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here, look at these sites. I believe if you read thru them, you will get some insight...
IMO Trendnet makes excellent equipment. If you do go powerline, make sure your adapters will be on the same phase, notplugged into a surge protector (they have their own built in, external protection will filter frequency neeeded for transmission of data).:)

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/support/kb/kbp_showproduct.asp?ToDo=browse&catId=537

On each page click on "Networking solution" to get an idea and picture of it's implementation...;)

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=105_TPL-302E2K&cat=65

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=110_TPL-110AP&cat=65

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=120_TEW-637AP&cat=66

I use the powerline and access point to reach a laptop at the other end of my house.
A lot of walls between here and there, that affect wireless.

But all of this won't make your connection to the central office from your house any faster. The vendor or phone company needs to do that.

Questions are like:
How many feet out from the C.O. are you(whether it is a litespan, SLIC, or switch in the building) affects you on copper?
Any bridge taps?
Any loads?
Any shorts, grounds, high opens?
What did the line stress(noise in dbs)?

Coax has it's problems, as does fiber. In other words, the supplier of your service needs to get their stuff straight in the beginning. So, I would call them and be nice or stern, but demand what you asked for and get it.

My rant.:)

System Name The Metadis
Case NZXT H6 Flow
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Thanks for those links!

Sounds too me that my best option would be to call NTL broadband and get them to get everything sorted out first!
then perhaps a new modem is needed, lets hope NTL will send me a new one.

if not..then just go and get one and perhaps one of those powerlines! I don't have any free sockets downstairs tho :( So I really think I need a wireless dongle again. As long as I get 15000 out of 20000 then I will be happy enough I suppose!

But at least now I have a better idea as to what is going on!