• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales: NVIDIA

Benetanegia

I think that most angry fans are completely missing the point that the Nvidia rep was making. He is not saying DX11 won't matter, he is not saying it is worthless. All that he is saying is that it won't drive sales as much as other factors. Performance and YES GPGPU capabilities. The number of impressed non-gamer crowd is increasing in forums like CGSociety and even youtube yonkies that upload lots of videos everyday. All this people that couldn't care less about gaming, let alone DX11, do find GPGPU quite useful, because it means they can encode their videos twice as fast by just adding an small GPU instead of the Intel IGP most of them have.

Don't be naive and pretend that the gaming crowd is anywhere close to that installed base of users wanting some acceleration in video encoding, Photoshop and the like. Nvidia is talking about that. The capable software it's here already and it does make a difference, and much more is coming in the near future. The GPU is going to be more than a mere gaming device and that will sell more cards, simply because as I said the volume of non-gamer crowd is much much bigger than the gamer one. And considering the WoW and Sims crowd, that doesn't even know what DX is to begin with, you can pretty much disqualify half the gamer crowd as people waiting for DX11.

At the end of the day only enthusiasts care and know about DX11, and probably only half of them will buy the new cards based on DX11, because we know it will mean squat, at least in first tittles and multi-platform titles. So that leaves us with a number of around 2%. That's the percentage of people that will buy a card caring about DX11. The rest will buy the hardware for something else, but not DX11.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I think that most angry fans are completely missing the point that the Nvidia rep was making. He is not saying DX11 won't matter, he is not saying it is worthless. All that he is saying is that it won't drive sales as much as other factors. Performance and YES GPGPU capabilities. The number of impressed non-gamer crowd is increasing in forums like CGSociety and even youtube yonkies that upload lots of videos everyday. All this people that couldn't care less about gaming, let alone DX11, do find GPGPU quite useful, because it means they can encode their videos twice as fast by just adding an small GPU instead of the Intel IGP most of them have.

Don't be naive and pretend that the gaming crowd is anywhere close to that installed base of users wanting some acceleration in video encoding, Photoshop and the like. Nvidia is talking about that. The capable software it's here already and it does make a difference, and much more is coming in the near future. The GPU is going to be more than a mere gaming device and that will sell more cards, simply because as I said the volume of non-gamer crowd is much much bigger than the gamer one. And considering the WoW and Sims crowd, that doesn't even know what DX is to begin with, you can pretty much disqualify half the gamer crowd as people waiting for DX11.

At the end of the day only enthusiasts care and know about DX11, and probably only half of them will buy the new cards based on DX11, because we know it will mean squat, at least in first tittles and multi-platform titles. So that leaves us with a number of around 2%. That's the percentage of people that will buy a card caring about DX11. The rest will buy the hardware for something else, but not DX11.
A dedicated GPU card speeds up Photoshop? Thats news to me. :wtf:

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah, CS4 has a few accelerated apps. Nvidia even pulled a dedicated Quadro CX card for Adobe CS4...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yes it does, and ATI was doing GPU acceleration first, F@H style, transcoding, better video acceleration.....

Then Nvidia jumped on, and they do it better in some aspects for the G200 series, however the move to DX11 will allow a common platform that Nvidia can't throw "TWIMTBP" money at, and level the playing field, and providing a better consumer experience for all.

DX11 is just the first step to faster computers at everything, and a hugely better experience, it is the DX7 of our time. The beginnings of something better.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
No it doesn't. I use CS4 10 hours a day. All a dedicated GPU does is help out with some of the scaling and that can be done with a good IGP with 3.0 shaders.

Look.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7
The rep from nVidia is VP of investor relations. The quarterly loss must be near.

Processor i7 8700K
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Of course DX11 dosen't matter right now, what I look at with the 5870 its a pretty awesomely priced card with performance that seems to top everything else available with a standby powerstate that tops everything else available, nvidia is just shaking in their boots right now because they know they are screwed until next year.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
There's more to it then scaling, and in my opinion this is GPU acceleration... I feel I'm not understanding what you mean somewhere :)

No there's not. Read the article from Adobe. Read the system requirements for the GPU to be of any use. Its a gimmick. 99% of the computers that have been made in the last 2 years can run this on their IGP. A dedicated GPU card will make no difference in Photoshop.

Benetanegia

ATI was hardware accelerating before Nvidia.

Correction. Stanford was hardware accelerating before Nvidia, and they used Ati cards to accelerate their Brook parallel computing libraries. Essentially Ati X19xx cards were better for that purpose, but Ati had very little to do with that project apart from the technical support they had to give.

Curiously the chief scientist behind Brook projects, Bill Dally, and one of the project directors (whose name I do't remember now), both work for Nvidia. Bill Dally is the chief scientist and VP of Nvidia and the other one takes care of Nvidia's parallel computing division.

Processor i7 8700K
Software Windows 11 Pro
No there's not. Read the article from Adobe. Read the system requirements for the GPU to be of any use. Its a gimmick. 99% of the computers that have been made in the last 2 years can run this on their IGP. A dedicated GPU card will make no difference in Photoshop.

Ah, I get you now. I don't have any ideea about the IGPvsGPU performance in PS, and in this stage maybe it isn't much than a gimmick, but it's the correct choice of a gimmick. It's the 1st accelerated PS, and the differences vs the CPU are visible where it is working. I hope Adobe will continue on this path, and if they can make any IGPs run it, that's even more value. Also hope they prioritize bug solving and coherence between their apps :ohwell:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Yeah BUT... they touted DX10 and CUDA and PhysX as being reasons why their GPU's will sell... and are now saying that DX11 doesn't really matter.

Of course you can argue it and spin it any way you want - and say that DX11 does or doesn't matter while giving valid reasons. But nvidia changed the tune of their song. That's the point... they used to be the ones touting benefits that didn't exist -(lol PhysX and even CUDA to a big extent). Like the photoshop "speedup" which only affects a sliver of the features in photoshop.

Yet now theyre trying to write off DX11... yeah... de nile is a river in africa... And they are talking to investors.

Honestly, think about it - if DX11 WAS a major reason ppl would buy gfx cards, hypothetically, would Nvidia really go out to investors and say "hey this is a huge feature and we got NOTHIN! this will sell, but we don't have it yet... sorry, our bad"?

Last edited:

Benetanegia

But the higher the performance of the GPU (be it IGP or dedicated) the better. An IGP will let you apply some masks and filters faster than with te CPU alone. A faster card will allow you to apply them on the fly and in 2 and 3 digit Mpixel photos, something that IGP can't do. Granted it was my fault to include PS4 as a GPGPU app, considering what GPGPU means officially (like what HD is as oposed to high resolution), considering that any DX10 capable card can accelerate PS4. But the point still is that the better the card the faster that PS4 will run those things, and gimmick or not it could drive sales even better than DX11. There are far more apps that are going to have acceleration anyway, and their convenience innegable.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Yeah BUT... they touted DX10 and CUDA and PhysX as being reasons why their GPU's will sell... and are now saying that DX11 doesn't really matter.

Of course you can argue it and spin it any way you want - and say that DX11 does or doesn't matter while giving valid reasons. But nvidia changed the tune of their song. That's the point... they used to be the ones touting benefits that didn't exist -(lol PhysX and even CUDA to a big extent). Like the photoshop "speedup" which only affects a sliver of the features in photoshop.

Yet now theyre trying to write off DX11... yeah... de nile is a river in africa... And they are talking to investors.

Honestly, think about it - if DX11 WAS a major reason ppl would buy gfx cards, hypothetically, would Nvidia really go out to investors and say "hey this is a huge feature and we got NOTHIN! this will sell, but we don't have it yet... sorry, our bad"?

...and why should we believe (technology speaking) anything any VP of Investor relations has to say about a product they most likely don't understand? This is nothing but spin and bullshit, and why should it even matter to us? I want to hear what Mr. "Investor Relations" said coming out of one of Nvidia's engineers mouths.

Regardless to that, we all know what's going to happen anyways. In a few months (more or less) Nvidia will launch a DX11 card that will most likely have a bit better performance than ATi and will most deffinitely be more expensive. Until then we are going to hear a bunch of crap, saying not to buy the competitors products. Whoop de doo!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
A dedicated GPU card speeds up Photoshop? Thats news to me. :wtf:

latest photoshop (CS4) actually has GPU acceleration. it uses GPU ram and renders as a 3D image, speeding up editing/effects and other fancy crap i dont know about, since i just use it to resize my photos.

while it doesnt make HUGE differences, even an IGP can do some things faster than some CPU's (or at least, the two combined is faster than CPU alone)

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
latest photoshop (CS4) actually has GPU acceleration. it uses GPU ram and renders as a 3D image, speeding up editing/effects and other fancy crap i dont know about, since i just use it to resize my photos.

Didn't they implement that in CS3? I dunno, I'm still using CS2.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Ok so lets just use the X8xx series as an example (old I know). Remember that this card did not have shader support for Bioshock? So Zek upgraded to the 2400 because he needed Shader support, even though the 2400 was slower than his X850? Features do matter.

Also on photoshop:

It does have that GPU shit or whatnot. Just my Vista hates my amazing modified drivers...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Didn't they implement that in CS3? I dunno, I'm still using CS2.

i went from photoshop 7.0 to CS4 -i had a big leap :D

it has a list of features there, that are only enabled with hardware acceleration on

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
...and why should we believe (technology speaking) anything any VP of Investor relations has to say about a product they most likely don't understand? This is nothing but spin and bullshit, and why should it even matter to us? I want to hear what Mr. "Investor Relations" said coming out of one of Nvidia's engineers mouths.

they keep those people locked up far, far away from the investors... :roll:

But honestly, I think he does understand that Nv is going to be f*** very quickly if the market share for dx11 cards goes to ATI... As do the investors. There really isnt any need of tech knowledge to connect those dots.

Benetanegia

Yeah and everbody thought DX10 was going to change the field of gaming. It did not, we all learnt. It's stupid to stumble into the same rock again. I know that, you know that, Nvidia knows that and AMD knows that. If anything the only dishonest voice regarding DX11 is AMD, with all the "know the future" and whatnot BS. Even when it does change how games could be made (AKA is a huge technology advancement), it won't change the gaming reality in any near future. No matter they released DX12 today with nuclear technology into it, games would still be "tweaked" DX9 games. That is the reality, DX11 means as much as DX10 did, that is 0.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
what i know for sure:

-people who like new stuff will jump to buy
-benchmark fans also
-gamers with a lot of cash also
-e-peen people also
--------------------------------
-people who give a shit about won't
-gamers who try to squeeze all from older cards won't
-who have the cash but don't consider necessary yet won't

and the lists can be bigger...

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Although DX10 did not change the field of gaming, it sold cards. That means DX11 will sell cards too. People are SCARED that their card will not work in the future. Fear drives sales. People FEAR that they will not have a card that can handle DX11. That will drive sales more than hardware will.

ALSO: I love how immediately we all called BS on this Nvidia statement. Nice one guys!

Benetanegia

Although DX10 did not change the field of gaming, it sold cards. That means DX11 will sell cards too.

Extreme example: Hitler won the elections legally, which means that most people voted him. Is that going to happen again? No. Definately no.

And DX10 didn't really sold a lot of cards, based on DX. 8800 sold, but what about 8600 or HD2600 when they were released? X19xx and 79xx cards vastly outsold those cards, because the performance was better. Hence 8800 sold a lot because it offered unprecedented performance, like ability to play every game at 1920x1200 4xAA, something that not even SLI, Crossfire could do at the time for any newer games.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Yeah and everbody thought DX10 was going to change the field of gaming. It did not, we all learnt. It's stupid to stumble into the same rock again. I know that, you know that, Nvidia knows that and AMD knows that. If anything the only dishonest voice regarding DX11 is AMD, with all the "know the future" and whatnot BS. Even when it does change how games could be made (AKA is a huge technology advancement), it won't change the gaming reality in any near future. No matter they released DX12 today with nuclear technology into it, games would still be "tweaked" DX9 games. That is the reality, DX11 means as much as DX10 did, that is 0.

We agree there... but what about PhysX? I have it... and its bullsH** yet at the same time that they downplayed dx11 they talked up PhysX and "immersive experience"... you see?

They are both full of sh**. But only one is a hypocrite.