• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Computer That Will Destroy WoW

Aelexe

First up, many apologies if this is in the wrong forum or site entirely, and I appreciate any help you guys are willing to impart on me =).

Recently my computer of three years has died, having struggled to keep up with the intense experience that is running 25 man raids in World of Warcraft.

Now I wish to purchase a computer that can handle said raids with atleast 35fps and here are my two choices.

http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8233
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8238

What I'm concerned with is:
A - Ghz, I know what this means but I have no idea what the exact values are, and how much of a difference 0.2 will make to my fps in WoW.
B - The difference between a slightly slower quad and a tri core. Not only that but how it will effect WoW. From what I've heard WoW doesn't utilise multiple cores very well and so it's possible a slower tri core would be alot better for it.

Sorry if I sound like a noob but it'd be an entirely honest view of me =P.

Thanks in advance =).

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Neither of those will maintain 35 FPS everywhere in WoW. I don't play the game, but I understand some areas will just give you shit frame rate.

I do know two things about WoW, it is CPU depended. While you always want to get as much graphical power as possible, the CPU has some say in the frame rate (mainly clock speed).

Of the two, http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8233 should be your pick, easy. It has more graphical horse power, the X3 720 games better because of the L3 cache, and the extra 200 Mhz will help with 2 to 5 frames per second if my friend's rig response to an slight OC is normal.

With that computer, you should get 45+ in most area's, 35+ during large scale battles, and 20 to 25 in that town or whatever where the graphics die. All on Mid to high settings with AA on 2x.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Sorry for the double post, but I have been informed I am required by unwritten law to say the following.

Dude, you can build that computer yourself for cheaper than what they are charging you.

Processor c2d e8400@ 3.8ghz 24/7
Motherboard Abit IP-35e 80$ lol
Cooling zalman cnps9700 led
Memory 2 x 2 gig patriot viper
Video Card(s) evga Gtx 285 oc
Storage 2 x 300gig sata seagate 7200.10 in raid 0/ 1.5TB for backup
Display(s) acer 24" TFT LCD AL2416WBSD
Case Antec 902
Audio Device(s) XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro series
Power Supply ocz gamextreme 700w
Software windows 7 ultimate
First up, many apologies if this is in the wrong forum or site entirely, and I appreciate any help you guys are willing to impart on me =).

Recently my computer of three years has died, having struggled to keep up with the intense experience that is running 25 man raids in World of Warcraft.

Now I wish to purchase a computer that can handle said raids with atleast 35fps and here are my two choices.

http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8233
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=8238

What I'm concerned with is:
A - Ghz, I know what this means but I have no idea what the exact values are, and how much of a difference 0.2 will make to my fps in WoW.
B - The difference between a slightly slower quad and a tri core. Not only that but how it will effect WoW. From what I've heard WoW doesn't utilise multiple cores very well and so it's possible a slower tri core would be alot better for it.

Sorry if I sound like a noob but it'd be an entirely honest view of me =P.

Thanks in advance =).

Either of those two will play WOW at 60fps with a proc overclock to 3.2-3.5 Ghz @ max everything easily... The 4850 would do better though. :toast:

Holy SH!T!!!!! they want WAY to much for those :{

^^^ Hehe didn't want to go there :roll:

Aelexe

Sorry for the double post, but I have been informed I am required by unwritten law to say the following.

Dude, you can build that computer yourself for cheaper than what they are charging you.

Keeping in mind it's NZ dollars, alot of people make this mistake when I ask for advice relevant to cost =P.

That said I'm not overly computer savy, I can chuck parts in and out, but not reliably, I'm accident prone =P. The extra cost is well worth the alleviated stress from just knowing I don't have to build it.

Oh and another question (or two) relevant to this:
- How well would this run other games? Things like Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress... Something like Starcraft 2 (Obviously that one's hard but an accurate guess is good enough).

- And how easy would it be to upgrade this computer's core and graphics card? Not the price and actually putting it but compatibility wise. Is the motherboard capatible with better quad cores?

- And lastly, how does the graphics card compare to a 9800 GT? That's what I had in my last one so it's easy for me to compare, although it was being bottlenecked by my relic of a cpu.

That'll be enough questions for today as it's all I want to know I think, sorry to hassle you =P.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
i agree you could easily build a desktop with same components much cheaper than that

System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
Dude you could build the same PC for 600$. That site is a complete ripoff.

Opps sorry =]

Last edited:
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
remember he is from new zealand.

Aelexe

Haha, always happens. I'm sorry =P.

It's hard to notice since the only indication is the .co.nz at the top.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
WOW isn't a very demanding game. Only thing you have to worry about is when you have a huge raid or something going on and it bogs down the frames.

I would definitely go for with the first system, the 4850 is far ahead of the 9800 GT in most games and all you lose in an extra core. You also get a terabyte of space.

Ghz is the speed of the processor and no, .2 of a difference won't give you any more frames per second or any performance increase In any way.

Thing is that the second system may give you a quad core, but the first one steps over it in everything else including a bit higher clock speed. And you are correct, WOW doesn't utilize multiple cores that much(considering the game was released in '04)

Now i can bet you are going to hear a lot of people hear say why don't you build your own, and that would really be best. When you build your own, it's cheaper and you get more parts to customize with to get the performance you want. Building your own PC is also very enjoyable. But if you really don't have the technical know how, or will to do it then i guess i really wouldn't recommend going that route.(unless you really know whats what in case you need to troubleshoot the system)

Also, i have never heard of playtech, but i don't know where you live so i can't recommend any good PC buying sites.(oh, you live in new zealand)

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Keeping in mind it's NZ dollars, alot of people make this mistake when I ask for advice relevant to cost =P.

That said I'm not overly computer savy, I can chuck parts in and out, but not reliably, I'm accident prone =P. The extra cost is well worth the alleviated stress from just knowing I don't have to build it.

- How well would this run other games? Things like Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress... Something like Starcraft 2 (Obviously that one's hard but an accurate guess is good enough).

- And how easy would it be to upgrade this computer's core and graphics card? Not the price and actually putting it but compatibility wise. Is the motherboard capatible with better quad cores?

- And lastly, how does the graphics card compare to a 9800 GT? That's what I had in my last one so it's easy for me to compare, although it was being bottlenecked by my relic of a cpu.

That'll be enough questions for today as it's all I want to know I think, sorry to hassle you =P.

Ok, that system will handle most, if not all games very well. Single player games, max settings for all current titles (with a few exceptions) easy. You may have to turn down the AA, shadows, and textures on some online games. It should walk all over L4D and L4D2 because they are well optimized.

Since all the parts on that computer are just retail parts they will put together for you, upgrade will be easy. That case in particular is well built and very easy to work with.

Performance:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4850/26.html

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

The source engine is generally very optimized and runs great on lower end rigs. It shouldn't have a hard time at all running Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2.(even with my old 8600 GTS i ran those games perfectly)

Well yes, you can upgrade to a new video card easily.(both mobos are PCI-E), As for upgrading the CPU the first system is definitely the better pick. It's Socket AM3 and supports the newer Phenom II's, while the second systems motherboard is an old Socket AM2+ board.

The 4850 should crush the 9800 GT in most to all games.

Last edited:
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
i have to say,that website price is insane,i've tried putting together same specs and it comes about same as the pre-built and the website is SUPER slow to load for me

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
To stop future issues about people posting how expensive those computers are.

He is in New Zealand so the conversions for the price of the first computer are below.

US ~ 879.64

Euros ~ 591.34

GBP ~ 528.24

For any users I forgot to use your local currency, go here: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock LGA1155 Z77 Extreme 4
Cooling Cooler Master Evo 212
Memory 16GB (4X4) G.Skill Ripjaw 2 DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Nvidia gForce GTX 660ti
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 256GB 6Gb/s, 1x WD 500GB 6Gb/s, 1x WD 80GB 3Gb/s
Display(s) ASUS VH242H Black + 2 HP 2311x 23" LED
Case Fractal Design R4
Audio Device(s) Realtek OnBoard Both
Power Supply Cooler Master 850w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
My 2 cents on this matter is that you need a good CPU that can handle the game in the first place. A good x4 or x3 would be nice OC'ed. Then you will need a good amount of fast memory, and then a banging video card. Because I have played this game on some good systems, and in a 25 man raid it could barely hand the fps you are asking for.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
go for the faster TRI core. Wow isn't the most intensive game. I have pleayed wow on a 2.5ghz P4 with a Geforce 4 and ran fine on low. My dual and OCed 8800GT ran it just fine on high so a tri and 4850 should do just fine

but both of them have shitty PSUs

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

To stop future issues about people posting how expensive those computers are.

He is in New Zealand so the conversions for the price of the first computer are below.

US ~ 879.64

Euros ~ 591.34

GBP ~ 528.24

For any users I forgot to use your local currency, go here: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Which isnt that ridiculous for a prebuilt system, exactly my thoughts from the OP but hey some, people dont bother reading.

Another thing, the 1st system will be better cause the x3 is a phenom II and not an athlon II, better performance per Ghz and wow afaik doesnt utilise more than 2 cores anyway.

And yes the 4850 is better than the 9800gt :toast:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Now I don't have first-hand experiance with WoW, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't run well on either of those machines. It just doesn't make sense... maybe if you want to run it with 16xaa/af

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
where abouts in NZ are you?

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
MY comp in specs gets 60fps all the time in wow (cept in dalaran but its just too laggy for everyone there). My settings are all maxed too.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
MY comp in specs gets 60fps all the time in wow (cept in dalaran but its just too laggy for everyone there). My settings are all maxed too.

that supports that the first rig would do just fine (same GPU about same CPU speed)

now the prebuilts are built from decent parts (excluding the PSU) so this is one prebuilt i wouldn't feel bad about recommending

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
One last thing from me. I know I talk too much. I just double checked and I noticed the price listed and my conversions all have Shipping/Handling included.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
35fps?! I won't install something I can't run at 60fps with everything maxed out.

35fps?! I won't install something I can't run at 60fps with everything maxed out.

yeah but world of warcraft isnt a fancy FPS or an RTS its just a simple MMO and will be smooth at 35fps

60fps hmmmn yeah with crossfire youd probly be doing that for all titles just now

CPU is key and for an old MMO like WoW an x3 will smash it