• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

News Section Feedback Goes Here

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
hey if you want to understand this stuff, do what i do, go read anything you can on it. I didnt understand shaders for about 3 years and finally made myself learn them. Thats my advice to you

i do, wiki is a great source.:D

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
I personally like the short news articles. If I want to understand more, I just click the source link.

Also, Btar and Malware are generally the only people I see news from and they do a great job. The writing is professional, but not too hard to read. My only complaint is there are some "slow days" when no news is posted, and I have to go check another site... We just need more people to do the news.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
If I was to rank each news poster on how well I think they do the job, Btarunr is in first place. Purely because in my opinion Malware's news it often just too long-winded, but at the same time covers EVERYTHING you need to know. Maybe Btarunr is just more suited to my level of experience? I don't know.
Also I haven't seen Jimmy2004 for some time. Does he still contribute to the news in any way?

I also would like to add a response to Btarunr comment about the Intel turbo news. I read it, four times - and still it made no sense to me. That isn't me not understanding what you wrote, that's me not understanding every single piece of technological jargon. I like to see myself as an experience amateur. So in some news articles I do not post purposefully at risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, and I believe others (although most likely wouldn't admit it) do the same.

About some comments being unfit for the front page - maybe give the author and all mods to "hide" such comments - unless such a thing already exists.

Another thing I have seen is that many comments repeat the one before it because time delay when both users posting at the same time. On terrorizer.com (metal forum) they allow you to preview any new comments that may have been posted between the time you clicked reply and submit. Maybe such a thing could be implemented here?

Thanks, WhiteLotus, you brought up a vital point about LoE (level of experience). I've had mixed views about our community's general level of experience. Often it has happened that news with too much tech jargon wasn't received well. Maybe because the demographics are such that not all people understand too much tech. I'll keep that in mind when doing write-ups.

Jimmy2004 isn't part of the news anymore, last I heard. Bad comments are soft-deleted by me instantly and a explanation is sent to the user(s) by PM.

I personally like the short news articles. If I want to understand more, I just click the source link.

Also, Btar and Malware are generally the only people I see news from and they do a great job. The writing is professional, but not too hard to read. My only complaint is there are some "slow days" when no news is posted, and I have to go check another site... We just need more people to do the news.

Slow days are when there's nothing "latest" and worthwhile to post. The other sites you check probably have older (by a day/two) articles and you find something new to read. Apart from Malware and myself, we also have alexp999 doing the news, so there's sufficient staff that should be handling news. Apart from us, W1zzard is another active newsie, whenever he comes up with some inside news (which only he can), he makes it a point to post.

Last edited:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
As for the length of news, I like every article to be long and full of details. I obviously don't want to read it all, but when I see a headline about something that catches my interests I want to know as much as possible. For example, I saw an article the other day about how overclocking Nehalem (sp?) will be different and more in depth, and I really enjoyed reading all of it. It was a long, detailed filled article. Sometimes I see headlines that interest me a lot, but they hardly have any information and leave me wanting more.

See the dilemma? Some like descriptive news, some don't. As for deleted posts, you'd really not want to see them on the homepage if you were in my place. I can show you some examples protecting the users' identity if you want.

Last edited:

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
What's wrong with the system now though pertaining to the length of articles? Take the article I mentioned earlier for example...

http://www.techpowerup.com/69106/Overclocking_Nehalem_Brings_in_New_Set_of_Challenges_Tweaks.html

On the front page when you're reading that, you get this...

Boon for some, possible bane for others, Intel Nehalem provides the overclocker or performance enthusiast to be more precise, with a whole new set of performance tuning features. For enthusiasts, tweaking the many components of a PC is entertaining and sometimes adventurous as expensive hardware is at stake, and to get the most out of it is definitely fun, to say the least. Enter Nehalem, and the enthusiast finds a whole new method of tweaking the processor, using what is called "Turbo Mode". Let me explain schematically.

Most enthusiasts looking to set overclock records and lodge record scores with single/dual threaded benchmarks or simply games avoid quad-core processors. The Core 2 Duo E8600 for example is very popular among overclocking and Super Pi enthusiasts. The reason quad-core chips are avoided is that when you increase the frequency and voltage of current quad-core chips, you're doing so for all four cores, when running the game or benchmark suite, the active core sweats it out, while inactive cores simply feast on the higher voltage / FSB settings thereby pushing up the thermal envelope and limiting the overclock:

That's fairly short, it has some information in it, it's an easy quick read. Then if the reader finds it interesting they can open and read the full story which is much longer and has a lot more detail inside that I personally found interesting. If someone doesn't find it interesting enough that they want to read that much then let them move on and stick to the smaller paragraph or two just describing the news briefly.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Like Alex said, huge chunks of text affect readers. Again, when things are summarized in a para before going into the details, we could get over this. Usually it's pics that splice text, for articles without it, it becomes chunky. I'm working on one that will by up by evening, EST. Let's see how that pans out.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
What is the scope of the news covered? I see articles varying in range from topics covered, but I also see reviews for in ear custom headphones and I'm questioning what exactly does Techpowerup focus on? Is it truely the latest in hardware and gaming?

What else would be considered tech "News" for it to be posted here? I would like to see more 'tech' related news.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
What is the scope of the news covered? I see articles varying in range from topics covered, but I also see reviews for in ear custom headphones and I'm questioning what exactly does Techpowerup focus on? Is it truely the latest in hardware and gaming?

What else would be considered tech "News" for it to be posted here? I would like to see more 'tech' related news.

We're trying to figure that out as well. With the scope of our reviews broadening, so is our news on them. The news covers the computer hardware, gaming and software industries from the perspective of a computer enthusiast (and not exactly a gadget freak), a person to whom spending on and consuming his niche of technology is a way of life. I can't remember if in the last eight or so months, we covered any news that wasn't tech related.

alexp999

Staff
System Name Gaming Rig | Uni Laptop
Processor Intel Q6600 G0 (2007) @ 3.6Ghz @ 1.45625v (LLC) / 4 GHz Bench @ 1.63v | AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 2 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45) | HP 6715b
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AC MX2 ~ Case Fans: 2 x 180mm + 1 x 120mm Silverstone Fans
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-8000 @ 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v | 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 1GB, Modded FTW BIOS @ 725/1512/1350 w/Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 + Scythe sinks| ATI X1250
Storage 2x WD6400AAKS 1 TB Raid 0, 140GB Raid 1 & 80GB Maxtor Basics External HDD (storage) | 160GB 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster SM2433BW @ 1920 x 1200 via DVI-D | 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 resolution)
Case Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W ~ Logitech G15 R1 / Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
Audio Device(s) Soundmax AD2000BX Onboard Sound, via Logitech X-230 2.1 | ADI SoundMAX HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX650W | HP 90W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64 | Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DM06: 19519, Vantage: P16170 ~ Win7: -CPU 7.5 -MEM 7.5 -AERO 7.9 -GFX 6.0 -HDD 6.0
We're trying to figure that out as well. With the scope of our reviews broadening, so is our news on them. The news covers the computer hardware, gaming and software industries from the perspective of a computer enthusiast (and not exactly a gadget freak), a person to whom spending on and consuming his niche of technology is a way of life. I can't remember if in the last eight or so months, we covered any news that wasn't tech related.

Thats my idea when I cover news too. I only do gadget stuff if it is a real breakthrough, or something which I think would interest a computer enthusiast.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
lemonadesoda's cynicism at large said:
It would be nice if there was less verbatim copy and paste of Press Releases, esp. of stuff which is attracts attention (and comment) for truth-stretching. It dilutes the quality of the TPU newspostings to allow that stuff to remain in as searchable bytes on the TPU servers.

It is also getting increasing hard to differentiate EDITORIAL COMMENT from our great and hard working newsposters from material that has just been clipped from a Press Release.

I enjoy reading what the newsposters summarise or make comment on. I think their insights are informed and useful. But I dont enjoy having to wade through press release copy. Especially trying to work out what is C&P and what is not. After all, the press release is always linked to at the bottom of the newspost.

Why has TPU news posting adopted this approach? It used to be much tighter. Short and sweet. If there was text, it was stuff the TPU guys had written and was insightful.

What would be GREAT would be to have the Press Release in a quote, just like I quoted above. There are quote boxes, HTML tags, php tags, and code tags. How about a press release [PR=link][/PR]tag that the newsposters could use? In the tag could be the link to the original press release. That way, anything you guys wrote would be outside of the box and clearly the stuff we want to read. Nice and tidy. All searchable text (and ad revenue generating links) still there, but confusion removed, and much tighter news forum.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Press-releases are direct communications from the companies. They are bound to have exaggerated facts, superlative tones. Eg:

XYZ Tech ltd, a worldwide leader in...

Often facts are also distorted. This problem is more chronic now than ever...

GPUZilla, inventors of the graphics processing unit...

..and I admit it does no good. The readers today are more discerning than ever. We're coming to terms with the fact that people don't like a news article, press-release or not, to be so superlative and praising of a company or group, that it ends up looking like free proxy-marketing. There is one way of tackling the issue: To prepare a full-fledged report based on the the news poster's interpretation of a press release, and following it up with the press-release itself (with heading). I'm going to try an experimental way of posting press-releases this weekend: displaying the news post on the home-page (after a Read full story marker) and using a page-break (to fill the "second page" with the PR verbatim). When you read it from within the forums, you'll see it as just a one long news-post. I haven't talked to the admins about this, but I'm hopeful we'll at least get to experiment.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Suggestion:

When an on going News topic has multiple front page(threads) it would be nice to have the previous threads notified.

Example: The dual socket Evga board has had 3 news posts already with great discussion to many subscribers, bumping those threads to notify said subscribers of newer developments and a new thread would be awesome.

The newer news articles link older threads/news posts anyways why not notify those existing subscribers with a post? :)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

The Related News feature addresses most of it. I make it a point to link back to older posts that are most relevant to the story. Each story has a link back to the older one (if it's relevant). Yes, a post in the older thread can be done. Let's try it on a community basis. When you find something newer posted by us, post a link in the older thread.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
so is it bad that i post pics in which i feel are on topic for each news post, when i find them, in the news thread?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
so is it bad that i post pics in which i feel are on topic for each news post, when i find them, in the news thread?

Not at all. Sometimes I append good ones to the news article.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Suggestion:

When an on going News topic has multiple front page(threads) it would be nice to have the previous threads notified.

Example: The dual socket Evga board has had 3 news posts already with great discussion to many subscribers, bumping those threads to notify said subscribers of newer developments and a new thread would be awesome.

The newer news articles link older threads/news posts anyways why not notify those existing subscribers with a post? :)

What is it that makes you dig up his thread every January, mlee? :roll:
News posting methods are never gonna make everyone happy. Some just want the main points with a link to explore if they want, Others want it all up front. Maybe a brief synopsis with the rest in spoilertags?

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
my only complaints are...

1. news doesnt get posted on weekends all the time.

2. news about everything that is sent in is not always posted... or not posted in a timely fashion.

now im not saying this to target you btarunr. i know people have lives away from the computer. you do a very fine job at posting news. i also know that not everything is worthy of being posted. there is probably alot more to the reasons why things dont get posted or take a few days to get posted.

im just saying, in general, my 2 statements above SEEM to be somewhat true.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
1. We don't have to post news in the weekends. The odd time when something like a new driver release comes up, time can be taken up
2. Not all news submissions deserve posting. Some deserving ones do get posted.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
i'd be interested to see the daily hit count to see if less people visit on TPU on the weekends due to little to no news. just curious.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
i'd be interested to see the daily hit count to see if less people visit on TPU on the weekends due to little to no news. just curious.

Hit counts, etc., frankly, does not pertain to anyone in the public domain. It would be better if you voice your comments/feedback as a reader.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
darksaber mentioned he thought it would be nice to see more variety of news.

perhaps we should broaden the subject area a bit.... i know lots of people that would love to see more on phones.

linux news seems to be far and few between. there is quite a bit of linux news, although not always postworthy, people who are interested in linux would probably be thrilled to see a bit more on the topic.

in the past few months you have been posting more watercooling news which a lot of TPU readers are thrilled about. perhaps someone such as myself should be more apt to notify you of the watercooling news.

i still feel like we are not seeing all the news we could be seeing.

not a complaint here but i have yet to see very much on CES. i know w1zz and DS are on the way home and/or resting but i would have hoped to see something, even if only 2-3 things, posted by now. other sites have been lacking as well but anandtech did manage to post a summary of the highlights of CES.

as i said before... im not complaining and im not attacking anyone here. i just think we would see far more interaction from our readers if there was 1. news on the weekend, 2. broadened topic range 3. more on topics we already post about. im just thinking site improvement here.

:)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
How much do you benefit from Linux news, Fitseries?

We're a hardware site. Our target audience is people like you (enthusiasts, benchmark-junkies, gamers). What to post and not to post has been fed to us. It's that "what not to post" which is a selling point, and working to our advantage.

TPU doesn't aspire to become a FoxNews. If we did, given our reach, there would have been an advert every 500 pixels.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
While I agree that TPU should not be the "FoxNews" of the tech world, I still think that it would be nice to have a gaming news section and a software news section. Not displayed on the front page like the tech news, but perhaps a link there so people could get to those news sections.

Just my 2 cents.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
While I agree that TPU should not be the "FoxNews" of the tech world, I still think that it would be nice to have a gaming news section and a software news section. Not displayed on the front page like the tech news, but perhaps a link there so people could get to those news sections.

Just my 2 cents.

When TPU claims it stands for "The Latest in Hardware and Gaming", it's important to understand the context in which "Gaming" was used.

There's the "Gaming" which sites like IGN.com, or Gamespot stand for, and then there's the "Gaming" which sites like PC Hardware & Gaming (a German techsite) stands for. We're of the latter kind. PCGH deals with "gaming" in a hardware-centric perspective. When it talks about a new game, it talks about how it's looking like on xyz hardware, and how you should tune up your box to play it best. That's the "gaming" we stand for as well, and it's the sole reason why a "GamePowerUp.com" (which stands for "gaming" in the IGN.com context), was contemplated.