• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 480 has 480 CUDA Cores?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
im tryin to think of nice things to say about the 480 but when I think about the shader clocks being permantly linked to the core since the core clock is half the shader clock, . . . . . .

well in a little while we'll know for sure, whether overclocking sucks or not

hopefully it can be unlinked like the other cards, but with these new cards you never know T.T

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The more news tidbits that are released, the more this chip sounds like another HD 2900 disappointment. :(

As Wolf said: bring on the reviews.

Benetanegia

im tryin to think of nice things to say about the 480 but when I think about the shader clocks being permantly linked to the core since the core clock is half the shader clock, . . . . . .

It's not exactly like that iirc, shaders are not linked to core clock, it's somehow difficult to say if the new aproach makjes the chip worse or better though. Everything inside the GPC (TMUs, tesselator, setup engine, rasterizer) runs at half the speed of the SPs (hot clock), but everything on the outside (ROPs, main scheduler, L2 cache) runs at the core clock.

IMO it's mostly a good thing, because the only significant move (to the higher clock) are the TMU. The setup engine, rasterizer and tesselators are suposedly much smaller than SPs, TMUs or ROPs, so they should not have any effect on keeping the shader domain reaching higher clocks or on the temperatures and stability of the GPC, IMO. The units that are supposed to be more sensible to clocks like the ROPs and L2 remain at the slower core clock.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
How do we know what ATI needs, there isn't even competing cards out yet? Everyone of the green team keeps assuming this card will be so awesome, yet it has been how long, and all we keep getting is spin, more spin, and more spin on how awesome it is, and how much better it will be. If you really believe all this and feel that good, then keep on breathing the fumes man.

Putting the green versus red bit aside, Steve unlocks an even greater point :
The architecture of both GPUs and the software they run hasn't changed fundamentally. So until that does, all of the hype on upcoming GPUs as we know them, is neither here nor there.
What we'll get, is another powerful card, that still falls down like all the rest, in all the same places, for all the same reasons - of which are the same reasons that have existed for the last decade or more.

To me that's not impressive. I like big, I like powerful, it's how I like my vehicles, but not my computer components. I'm tired of getting bigger cases, bigger motherboards, bigger radiators and bigger PSUs, only to have the overrated max FPS of a game, go plummeting straight back down to twenty-five frames, because another character strolled onto the screen, and all this supposed Direct X special effects, that unfortunately we cannot actually see, has just sucked away the performance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro Direct X. When people were crying and whining about DX10 being a failure, I wasn't. I understood, I got it. Had you tried to run a lot of the background processing of DX10 on DX9(if it was possible) it wouldn't be a pretty sight, and DX11 brings some much needed tools for developers.

But I'm just not 'pro waiting six months or more every year' to see these 'fabled' graphics processors be put on a pedestal, and be released and yet don't provide anything really tangible over the last generation.

Consider that brute power alone, and computational flexibility, something like a GTX 295 or 4870X2 should be MORE than enough for modern games, and they usually are. Heck I can run the X2 at clocks of 500/500 in about 90% of modern games, and still have over 50fps. But then you get those moments where it all comes crashing down, and no matter how powerful the cards, it never ends.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The architecture of both GPUs and the software they run hasn't changed fundamentally. So until that does, all of the hype on upcoming GPUs as we know them, is neither here nor there.
What we'll get, is another powerful card, that still falls down like all the rest, in all the same places, for all the same reasons - of which are the same reasons that have existed for the last decade or more.

To me that's not impressive. I like big, I like powerful, it's how I like my vehicles, but not my computer components. I'm tired of getting bigger cases, bigger motherboards, bigger radiators and bigger PSUs, only to have the overrated max FPS of a game, go plummeting straight back down to twenty-five frames, because another character strolled onto the screen, and all this supposed Direct X special effects, that unfortunately we cannot actually see, has just sucked away the performance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro Direct X. When people were crying and whining about DX10 being a failure, I wasn't. I understood, I got it. Had you tried to run a lot of the background processing of DX10 on DX9(if it was possible) it wouldn't be a pretty sight, and DX11 brings some much needed tools for developers.

But I'm just not 'pro waiting six months or more every year' to see these 'fabled' graphics processors be put on a pedestal, and be released and yet don't provide anything really tangible over the last generation.

Consider that brute power alone, and computational flexibility, something like a GTX 295 or 4870X2 should be MORE than enough for modern games, and they usually are. Heck I can run the X2 at clocks of 500/500 in about 90% of modern games, and still have over 50fps. But then you get those moments where it all comes crashing down, and no matter how powerful the cards, it never ends.

I know what you mean by the same old same old, man. I hate those frame rate drops too. However, bear in mind that quite often that low fps bottleneck can also be at the cpu and not necessarily the gpu. Keeping those frame rates high and consistent is a big challenge when designing a game and unfortunately, it's not possible to prevent high complexity/detail scenes from tanking the frame rate sometimes. This is why I love running my old DX7 games on my big, grossly overpowered rig: even the lowest points are doing over 100fps (if vsync us unlocked) and the game runs smooth as butter 100% of the time. :D :rockout:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
What annoys me the most, (sorry to those who do this) but I hate when a series of card(s) isn't even out, and people start talking about their "next" version how its going to be so much better.

Seriously, lets wait for whats not even out first.

+1 dude.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

I see your point but at the same time I dont. Yeah they all come crashing down, but crashing down for an x2 or 295 is like 25 fps which is annoying but still ok. Crashing down for a single 260 or 4870 is like 15 fps... which is just jerky enough to send me into epileptic shock.

plus

All brand new architectures are head of their time. Becuase no developer will spend oodles of money and time to develop a game for a hardware feature that 0.0001% of the gaming market has. (sometimes a token game comes out with sponsorship of ati/nv but changes nothing).

Its just exciting bc these cards do bring something new to the table... unlike the 4xxx or gt200 or g92 or rv670 - its been a long time since that has happened.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
fermi meant for parallel processing

disabled SM to control TPD

System Name AMD RyZen PC
Processor AMD RyZen 5950x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero 570x WIFI
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz 14C x4
Video Card(s) Evga 3080 TI
Storage Seagate 8TB + 3TB + 4TB + 2TB external + 512 Samsung 980
Display(s) LG 4K 144Hz 27GN950-B
Case Thermaltake CA-1F8-00M1WN-02 Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Audio Device(s) XI-FI 8.1
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
The more news tidbits that are released, the more this chip sounds like another HD 2900 disappointment. :(

Don,t worry there are some GREEN web sits like GURU3D to do some 8xAA benchmark and say ATI was beaten by 10% but they will not try 8xQ which is real 8X for Nvidia ;)

:roll: and there are fools who support that.....

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Or perhaps nVidia is so confident that their Fermi will perform well at its price point and decided to disable a cluster to improve yields and pave the way to release a GTX485 later on.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

I think they'll first make GTX495 with 2x GTX470 but with 512 Cores. Then later with better yields GTX485 with some OC.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
Don,t worry there are some GREEN web sits like GURU3D to do some 8xAA benchmark and say ATI was beaten by 10% but they will not try 8xQ which is real 8X for Nvidia ;)

:roll: and there are fools who support that.....

+1, team green will release there next set of cards in 4 yrs, lol

System Name Gundam 00
Processor 3612QM 2.10Ghz
Motherboard Intel
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000 and nVidia GT630M
Storage Seagate 640GB
Display(s) 15.6 Inches
Case Lenovo
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Software Windows 8 x64 Enterprise N
Where all the hate for nVidia FERMI go??? anyone??? lol don't get me wrong i like ATI but i knew this would happen nice move nvidia the good price is the key and nice work ATI/AMD to keep nvidia controlled in the price departament...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
so where's the board at then huh Nvidia Huh!? I dont see it in Wizzard's or other members hands. To me it's deader than dead itself.

x2

All this ongoing delays and lack of communication from Nvidia and those rumours about insanely high TPD are clearly pointing to a disaster release from Nvidia. If they were confident in their product, they would brag about it to no end instead of hiding it far from the rogue benchmarkers.

locoty

System Name My Guardian
Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3,2 Ghz
Motherboard DFI LP UT T2RS
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Corsair 4 x 1024 GB PC6400
Video Card(s) HIS HD 5870
Storage Seagate 1 x 80 GB, WDC 3 x 320 GB, WDC 4 x 500 GB, WDC 1 x 640 GB
Display(s) DELL 23" S2309W
Case iCUte SUper18
Power Supply FSP Everest 1010 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Shot of Die A3 Stepping of Fermi

more HERE

Look at all the scared fanboys trying to convince themselves that these cards are full of fail. How entertaining.

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Naked pictures are always nice, be they cores or more fleshy stuff :)

So 87 cores ready at least :p Wonder if they leave that marker stuff under IHS or those are just quality assurance samples.

Benetanegia

Stares at pic.

Oh nooooo! Fermi A3 silicon also has 2% yields. Because we can clearly see a number 2 written over that die and as everybody knows when a company gets few samples back from factory they write numbers on them (and only when they get very few of them, otherwise they would never write over them, it would be stupid to do so) and always ALWAYS show the one with the higher number, in this case a 2 (in other a 7 :)). That number clearly means 2% yields. :rolleyes:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
The gap between 470 and 480 is now far too small. This is very bad news, imo.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
I keep saying... rumooooorrrrrs. Show me the numbers.

There's no attack to Nvidia, it's just fair to recognize when there's a disappointment, that's how human civilization has evolved, learning from errors.

ATi, for instance, failed with their HD2xxx/3xxx series, that's why I kept my X1650Pro a little longer. Nvidia delivered the mythical G92 and the sole reason I chose my HD4830 over the 9800GT was the price (in my country Nvidia is really overpriced).

Nvidia failed with the FX series and ATi triumphed with the 9xxx (9 a lucky number?).

There's no need to fight, even a fanboy has to reckon when his/her company screwed it up.

More rumors? See this:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/20/semiaccurate-gets-some-gtx480-scores/

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
All brand new architectures are head of their time. Becuase no developer will spend oodles of money and time to develop a game for a hardware feature that 0.0001% of the gaming market has. (sometimes a token game comes out with sponsorship of ati/nv but changes nothing).

Its just exciting bc these cards do bring something new to the table... unlike the 4xxx or gt200 or g92 or rv670 - its been a long time since that has happened.
It really is a hit or miss when it comes to deploying new architecture / hardware level instructions. Heck when MMX came out, we all thought that it was the future of games.. but then graphics accellerators squashed it.. and tbh, when that whole Hardware T&L came out, very few games were using it, I thought it was just another fad.. but then it became staple to all games.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
The gap between 470 and 480 is now far too small. This is very bad news, imo.

How so? When looking back at the GT200 cards the gap between the GT400 cards is actually bigger. I know ATI cards are a little different, but by nVidia standards this is about right.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
Look at all the scared fanboys trying to convince themselves that these cards are full of fail. How entertaining.

imo they are full of fail, released 6-7 months late then when they should have been.