• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Internet issue

horse2000

I have been having a DSL issue for about a year now. My ISP doesn't think they are at fault but I think are full of it.

Basically my DSL modem will at random drop my connection. It says the DSL i up, but my connection is down. Judging from the lights on the modem, I think its trying to re-authenticate my user and just gets stuck in an infinite loop. I have to unplug the modem, and them 'sometimes' it will reconnect. Other times I just leave it overnight, and it works in the morning.

When it does this I cannot ping, or do any name resolution.

Something stranger happened this afternoon. I refreshed my server list while Playing a Steam game, and like usual, it dropped my internet connection (I have read about this in this forum and that is not my immediate issue before anyone comments on that). The only difference today was I was already connected to a game, and it still ran without any issues. I ALT-TAB'ed out of the game and tried to hit the web, no luck. Went back, still had 30 ping with the game server I was connected to.

How is that even possible. When I tried to browse to the IP of my modem, the webpage just set there, like the modem is overheating and freaking out or something. This time around, I let it sit with no activity for about 5 minutes, and all of a sudden I was back again.

Does anyone else experience this with their DSL. I had Cable internet for two years previous to this crap DSL, and never had 'this' kind of an issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
tried messing with your router? it could be crashing, that might make it look like that since PPPOE would be dieing, modem with a built in routeR?

horse2000

Modem handles the PPPoE. Router is seperate. I've tried running the modem in Bridged mode, and letting my Netgear Router do PPPoE, but its doing the same thing. Im getting my third modem in the mail today, but I dont think that will actually fix anything. At this point I think their may be something with where my outside line connects to the ATM, or whatever its called.

I've ran it without the router in the loop, just the modem, same thing also. It's not specific to my pc either. I run a windows PC and Linux laptop all hooked up to a aswitch, and a fe wother laptops, all die when the modem dies. And any of the machines can be the only thing accessing it when it happens.

Black Haru

Staff member
there is your problem.

I don't quite have your same problem, however, my connection will dip down to unforgivable speeds for DAYS AT A TIME.

AT&T is in the middle of a class action suite dealing with these exact issues. (AKA they are getting sued)

unfortunately, if your like me they are the only DSL option.

horse2000

Indeed, they are the only option. I havent had any speed issues before, well besides it already slow by default...

Where I live, AT&T is it, I used to have Mediacom before, for Cable internet, and I never had this problem. I hate the service and hate calling for help, when I can fix almost everything myself. However, this type of thing is way out of my abilities as it is solely on the ISP, IMHO

Black Haru

Staff member
I think that it's their infrastructure. (AKA we are SOL)

I have had these problems periodically for ~18months

horse2000

Ok, cool thanks for the replies. Not really what I was looking for, but good enough. :p

Black Haru

Staff member
sorry I don't have better answers, but hopefully the class action suite will pan out and AT&T will get their shit into piles.

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
true. I hope so too. Thanks either way though.

Try and get them to replace your modem, or have a technician check your line. Threaten to goto some1 else, they might believe it even though no1 else is around

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
sounds like DNS issues to me.

i'd try another modem, to be honest. sounds like you're overloading it/crashing it.

horse2000

Well new modem arrived today, seems to be working better. they finally sent me a different model. I'll know in a week or two if I break this one too.

horse2000

And it is still screwy. I hate AT&T service, and their "Technical Support" I'm just going to call the local office and yell until someone shows up at my house.