• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to get Eyefinity to work - no luck so far... :(

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Please see my syem specs in my sig, as this is the rig I am trying to set up Eyefinity on. (PLEASE NOTE: I understand how to get Eyefinity configured (cloning displays, creating groups, etc.) and I have done this perfectly fine with a 2 x 1 Eyefinity setup.) I have two Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM's and one Asus VW266H, The two Samsungs are hooked up to the DVI output on my master 5970 card (the HIS), and the Asus is connected to the mini-display port. Yes, I know the Asus does not have a display port input on it, but I went to this site here:

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

...and found that this adapter is listed as validated for Eyefinity support:

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/mdp_dvi.htm

Now, of course this one is cheaper that an active adapter, so I wanted to try this. Unfortunately, whenever I try to connect to the third monitor, it asks me to disable one of the other two. :banghead:

So I went to my local Staples and bought a display port to HDMI cable, and I used the mini-display port to display port adapter that came with the card. Hooked everything up and thud - still the dame thing.

So, I flashed the BIOSes on both cards, as I had some issues the new BIOS was supposed to correct. It looks like this does, but still no luck getting Eyefinity to work.

So my last two options are buying an active adapter like this one:

Accell B087B-003J Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Lin...

(and BTW, the one review for it says it did not work for the guy with Eyefinity), or go out and buy a different LCD monitor with a display port input, which the cheapest 24" display is $540:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

So, before I go out and try one of those two, I'd like to know if any of you have seen an Eyefinity setup on a 5970 system, have seen display-port adapters that do work, or have any other ideas to get this to work... :toast:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
you need an active adaptor for eyefinity, as you have learned.

without it, it disables one of the other ports to make it work.

you NEED an active adaptor, with its own power input (often from USB)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, Mussels is spot on.

At first though, I had issues getting it to work at all...I have many displayport cables(all my monitors are DP), and adapters galore...

The accell active adapter(newegg link) works great, but quite a few users have had issues with the adapter itself...usually they just plain don't work, but an RMA later, and they work fine. I had to replace both of mine...must have been a bad batch.

I do beleive I saw one of the members here has one up for sale...I've got an extra one too...they are $100 or so new...a total rip-off.

Be sure to use the monst recent drivers too.

I'd liek to hear, once you get it working, if you get any 2D cursor corruption.

Oh, and AMD has released a single-link DP-to-DVI PASSIVE adapter...this will work for 1920x1200, but not higher resolutions. Should be a fair bit cheaper than the active ones too.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
I do have one of the passive one, albeit an Accell brand (and the AMD or Sapphire ones are supposed to be rebranded Accell models anyway), but it does not work for me. I am using three monitors that only go up to 1920 x 1200, which is what also led me to believe this should work for my case.

You have the exact model in the Newegg link? Other than the bad units, do these work fine for you? I'm assuming you may see some kind of cursor corruption from your remarks. Care to explain?

I would not have anything against picking up a used adapter as long as I know it does work.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, to start off, I took a look, and mine are actually BizLink!:laugh::eek:

I got mine via Dell, as when I bought it, other places were selling them for $139, and Dell had it on for $99.

And yes, I have 2D/3D cursor corruption. It almst always happens when the cursor goes from the DP monitor to one of the DVI ones, and most commonly after playing accelerated flash video, and requires a reboot to fix. But it also happens randomly at other times, and then it sometimes fixes itself. I;m not hte only one with this issue, and it was mentioned it was fixed in the 10.8 release notes, but not in my case.

One of the issues I had with the adapters was having to many things plugged in, and it wasn't getting enough power over USB(the monitor would lose signal). Once I switched to using a powered hub, I haven't had any issues that aren't present with a direct DP connection.

I have also noticed that when I have the cursor corruption issues, most often, when booting windows I will have on signal on the monitor until the log-in screen, and when I don't, I see the booting logo as normal.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Do you have a link for the adapter you are using?

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
W

wahdangun

Oh, and AMD has released a single-link DP-to-DVI PASSIVE adapter...this will work for 1920x1200, but not higher resolutions. Should be a fair bit cheaper than the active ones too.

no, you are wrong, AMD just release single link DP-to-DVi active adapter, its not passive