• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Jen Hsun Huang on Fermi's Failure, in the Development Stages

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Retail chips are NOT called Fermi, to me. Fermi was the chip's name while in development, but that chip, that is is retail cards, is now known as GF100, right?

Fermi has come and gone, to me, so to look back at what happened during that time is some of the best "news" there is...that's real journalism, and I love it!

The architecture is Fermi, i refer to the cards themselves and the retail GPU's themselves as GTX 4xx. But that's just me.

Great video though.;)

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The architecture is Fermi, i refer to the cards themselves and the retail GPU's themselves as GTX 4xx. But that's just me.

Yeah. To me it's the same as calling the 6-series cards from AMD, "Northern Islands". Or whatever they are. Southern Island, etc...:laugh:

What even more interesting is that Huang seems very confident that the next gen won't have these same issues...it almost seems liek they've taped out, and maybe are not that far behind AMD in releasing new chips...maybe they've been relatively quiet about the new gen so they can crush AMD's next chips.

I mean, I consider the 58xx-series reference retail cards a failure, 100%. It's not like I hype AMD, and bash nV...I bash AMD far more.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
The architecture is Fermi

Seems a lot of people don't realise or choose to ignore this while enjoying paying out GTX400 series cards.

statements like "Fermi is hot and power hungry", however vague, does somewhat apply to GF100, but hardly GF104/106.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
it still does apply to the 460 bro a 460 max overclocked consumes more power then a 5870 and is still slower and at stock it uses equal or greater power then a faster 5850, but i digress the differences are not enough to use the blanket statement hot and power hungry. What really aggrevates me is seeing ppl say get a 460 get a 460 when they already have a 285 its not really a real upgrade its pretty much a side grade with DX11 well unless you buy 2 :toast:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, but that's not important here, and is off topic. That's what got CDdude going in the first place.

Retail products have no place in this thread. This is about the Fermi dev process. I didn't say Fermi was a failure...Fermi failed(and the teams behind it as well), in a specific scenario, early in development. THAT's what this thread is about.

Please stop talking about retail products here, they are unimportant in the context of this discussion. Watch the video, and comment on that, please.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
in which case nvidia fumbled and lost the game so to speak but just like everything else in sports or in technology theres always another round to come to make up for past mistakes.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
in which case nvidia fumbled and lost the game so to speak but just like everything else in sports or in technology theres always another round to come to make up for past mistakes.

Yeah, exactly, and that's why I put "In the Past Tense" in the title, but seems my choice of wording didn't get the point across...it only makes sense if you watch the video on the link I provided. Of course, I watched the video before posting the thread...seems many commenting did not, by the early posts here.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
oh i watched and i also agree its good to see some actual honesty from the not so jolly green giant :roll:

i honestly think come 28nm Nvidia will have the edge but for now im glad AMD is on top they basically needed ati gpu sales to hold the line so to speak in order to keep development going and it seems its finally starting to pay off. As an enthusiast i want proper competition not half baked scandal. :toast: so i suspect sandybridge vs bulldozer and 28nm geforce vs radeon will be very interesting both to see how the companies have learned from past mistakes and to see whats new that gets brought to the table. Im also interested in seeing how gf100 arch matures and evolves

mdsx1950

System Name Knight-X
Processor Intel Core i7-980X [4.2Ghz]
Motherboard ASUS P6T7 WS
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro H70 + 2x CM 2000RPM 120mm LED Fans
Memory Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 2000MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB CrossFire [PhysX - EVGA GTX260(216SP) 896MB]
Storage 2x Corsair Perf. 512GB | OCZ Colossus 1TB | 2xOCZ Agilities 120GB SSDs
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ 3008WFP [2560x1600]
Case Cooler Master HAF-X + NZXT Temp LCD
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X | ONKYO HTS9100THX 7.1
Power Supply Silverstone ST1500 1500W [80 PLUS Silver]
Software Windows 7 Ultimate X64 (Build 7600)
Benchmark Scores Heaven 2.0 with Extreme Tessellation at 1080p - 96FPS
Its just the GF100 that sucks. Rest are good. :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
oh i watched and i also agree its good to see some actual honesty from the not so jolly green giant :roll:

i honestly think come 28nm Nvidia will have the edge but for now im glad AMD is on top they basically needed ati gpu sales to hold the line so to speak in order to keep development going and it seems its finally starting to pay off. As an enthusiast i want proper competition not half baked scandal. :toast: so i suspect sandybridge vs bulldozer and 28nm geforce vs radeon will be very interesting both to see how the companies have learned from past mistakes and to see whats new that gets brought to the table. Im also interested in seeing how gf100 arch matures and evolves

Yeah, and I think I need a title change. MY own fault, there, I guess. Let's see if I can't get it changed to "Jen Hsun Huang on Fermi's Failure, in the Development Stages. "

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I think its fantastic he actually went ahead and talked about what really went wrong and caused the delays. It's a little bit late now to gloss over the delays in development, but it's food for thought and gives the market some answers as to why it was so late. kinda helps dissolve the anger and bad feelings that surrounded the delayed product.

Maybe a better title would be something simple like "Jen Hsun Huang sheds light on the Fermi delay", having failure in the title, while correct for the scenario, just begs for arguments IMO.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I think its fantastic he actually went ahead and talked about what really went wrong and caused the delays. It's a little bit late now to gloss over the delays in development, but it's food for thought and gives the market some answers as to why it was so late. kinda helps dissolve the anger and bad feelings that aurrounded the delayed product.

Maybe a better title would be something simple like "Jen Hsun Huang sheds light on the Fermi delay", having failure in the title, while correct for the scenario, just begs for arguments IMO.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. In the end, it makes alot of sense, to me, for nV to be talknig about it at this point. They've moved on to bigger and better, and part of how you do that is by correcting past mistakes.

I PM'ed a mod to try to get the title changed.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. In the end, it makes alot of sense, to me, for nV to be talknig about it at this point. They've moved on to bigger and better, and part of how you do that is by correcting past mistakes.

I PM'ed a mod to try to get the title changed.

Interesting read, really two points come out:

1. They wanted to do something that was technologically risky
2. "Two teams and no boss" - that speaks volumes.

...I think you can change the title by editing your first post and then "Go to advanced"

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Interesting read, really two points come out:

1. They wanted to do something that was technologically risky
2. "Two teams and no boss" - that speaks volumes.

...I think you can change the title by editing your first post and then "Go to advanced"

Yeah. It's a very eye-opening "interview". I really like this version of Mr. nV.

Thread titles can only be changed within a limited time after your first post it....it's fixed now though. ;)