• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lawsuit Filed Against Nintendo For Defective Wrist Straps

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Green Welling LLP filed a nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of the owners of the Nintendo Wii against Nintendo of America, Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. The class action lawsuit arose as result of the defective nature of the Nintendo Wii.

In particular, the Nintendo Wii game console includes a remote and a wrist strap for the remote. Owners of the Nintendo Wii reported that when they used the Nintendo remote and wrist strap, as instructed by the material that accompanied the Wii console, the wrist strap broke and caused the remote to leave the user's hand. Nintendo's failure to include a remote that is free from defects is in breach of Nintendo's own product warranty.

The class action lawsuit seeks to enjoin Nintendo from continuing its unfair or deceptive business practices as it relates to the Nintendo Wii.The lawsuit also seeks an injunction that requires Nintendo to correct the defect in the Wii remote and to provide a refund to the purchaser or to replace the defective Wii remote with a Wii remote that functions as it is warranted and intended. If you would like additional information regarding the Nintendo WII Replacement Strap click here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
See, I'm on both sides of the fence as it were. First off, let me just say, I do not own a Wii, but if I did, I would use COMMON SENSE when using the unique controller. I mean, its not like you have to work out like a steroid freak to use the damn thing. Common sense and the manual, states that the sensor bar can detect nominal movements of the controller. I guess some just like to get into the games and there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other side, Nintendo should anticipate the fun nature of the console and how the gamer can get totally immersed in the Wii experience. They should have thought ahead about a more sturdy and rigid connection for the controller. I can see fault there but then again, they though most gamers had common sense. It's a two way street. This does kind of suck though.

-The Eagle

System Name W.I.P.
I totally agree with you on the COMMON SENSE part. Then again I dont own a Wii, yet anyways.;) I still just view it as people being money mongers just because they can. I mean come on, thats like if back in the day, I could sue Nintendo & Capcom for bodily harm because of the blister inducing combinations of dragon punches and fireballs playing Street Fighter. :rockout: I mean accidents happen, but if you wave the controller around like an actual Nunchucka, then youre operating the controller outside of the manufacturers recommended guidelines. And that makes you a noob. :laugh:

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Impact
Cooling 2x120mm fans, 1x140mm fan, 1x240mm radiator, 1x140mm radiator, XSPC Water Cooling Pump
Memory 16gb Corsair Dominator Series 2400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX R9 295x2
Storage 1x500gb Crucial SSD
Case Corsair 250D
Power Supply Seasonic 1200w Platinum
lmao you notice how the Nintendo wii is released all over the world and it's only us Americans that sue lol. ahh man that's freakin awesome

I promise you that propelling your Wii-mote fast enough to lodge it in your TV is not in the directions of your Wii manual. I wish I had money to sue those people out of principal. And as for Americans doing the suing...Litigation is the American dream... I personally have been looking for a reason to sue someone for the last 3 years and I'm sure i'll find a reason soon enough.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
Class action lawsuits are about as crooked as you can get. The only people that win in these types of suits are the law firms running them. With all the money Nintendo is making on the Wii they'll get an amazing lawyer team to bash this down in about 5 minutes. Whatever these people are doing is out of spec for how to use your wiimote and that'll be the end of it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Well when Nintendo markets the controller as allowing you to be part of the game, and advertises it with people using huge motions to do things on the screeen, they can't then expect people to not do that. Especially when in one breath they say "Make sure there is at least 3 feet space around you when playing the Wii" then with the next breath say "Well you shouldn't be swinging it around like that, you should only be moving it a minimal amount". They obviously put a wrist strap on the controller for a reason, and it isn't because they expected people to not be forceful when using the controller.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo was being cheap with the original wrist strap, they made it too cheap and it broke causing problems. Now they have to deal with the problem it has caused and move on. I mean really, a small redesign of the controller to include rubber grips so that people aren't just holding on to slippery plastic would have been a much better idea, but then again it probably would have cost way to much money for them.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
I can see some of newtekies points. As in my original post, I was on both sides doing the arguing. Rubber grips would have been nice, comfortable and safe. But again, Im sure wide motions are not hard and fast motions either. The suit alleges, fixing or replacing the wii remote control and redesigning it with a sturdier strap. I havent seen where money comes into play. Also, I believe Nintendo is fixing the problem of those with TVS (plasma, LCD, DLP, etc) and replacing those tvs and such. Again, its a two sided issue, but I have to side with ::gulp:: Nintendo on this one. Only because folks should know better.

-The Eagle

People were making large movements in the commercials but they weren't fast enough to fling a controller across a room and cause severe damage to property.

I'm sure someones gonna make a wii controller with rubber side grips, air flow to keep hands dry and a tough strap and nintendo will lose lots of money to better made third party remotes. Logitech makes an xbox 360 style gamepad for PC that has those features.

bornfree

Maybe we should put the Wii owners and paid liars, aka lawyers, in a locked room and let the Wii owners beat up the paid liars with their broken wrist straps? Probably the best way to resolve two problems: eliminate paid liars and broken wrist strap frustration.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
I personally feel that it is your own fault if you injure yourself when doing an activity like this. Ok, if the machine had sparks flying out of it and caught fire, I'd understand it. But tbh, if you were playing tennis for real and the racket slipped out your hand and you injured a friend, are you going to sue the tennis racket maker? At the end of the day, there is nothing directly wrong with the Wii remote and they do warn you to be careful I believe. The rest is up to you - use it wrong (in this case with too much enthusiasm) and the blame can only rest on you, you're the one in control of the remote.

As for the attitude of suing over anything you can find (Americans in particular), I think it's ridiculous, some of the stories you hear are insane. But some people are just selfish b*stards. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I feel when you blame your own actions on something which is not at fault just for money. If someone intentionally does something then it's a different case.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
if nintendo didnt put a wrist strap on them at all they would have nothing to sue for, prahapps they should just remove them altogether.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=204442 :laugh:

I knew I had seen that link somewhere before.:toast:

But tbh, if you were playing tennis for real and the racket slipped out your hand and you injured a friend, are you going to sue the tennis racket maker?

Well the difference is that every tennis racket manufacturer puts grips on the tennis racket to prevent exactly that problem, and most even have a wrist strap, a strong wrist strap capable of doing the job it is intended to do.

Nintendo put the wrist strap on the wiimote because they ::gasp:: want people to play their games and use the wiimote with a lot of enthusiasm. If they just wanted everyone to sit on the couch and make tiny movements with no force, they wouldn't have put a wrist strap on the damn thing at all.

The fact is that if Nintendo had put a little bit more thought into their gimmicky controller and spent the few extra cents per controller to make a stronger wrist strap in the first place, they wouldn't be in this situation.

The people that swing the controller and break something or injure themselves, they don't deserve anything. The people that had the wrist strap fail at doing what it is supposed to do, preventing the controller for flying out of their hand, deserve something from Nintendo if things were broken because of it. The wrist strap has one purpose and one purpose only, to prevent the controller from slipping out of your hand in use, it failed at doing that, and hence Nintendo needs to pay because of it.

Last edited:
System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I think some of these people are just coming to the conclusion that when you actually engage in physical activity. Injury may result.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Well my friend has a nintendo wii and i have to say the strap feels plenty strong, not incredibly strong but certainly strong enough. And i've seen pictures on the internet showing the wii controllers wedged into tv screens and such.... just for the sake of the experiment i suggest getting an old tv and an old controller to a game system and start throwing it at the tv. It would take a damn lot of force to do any damage to the TV :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
To a tube TV, yes. However, all the pictures I have seen are LCD or Projection TVs, which are very easy to damage by throwing something at.

Processor Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Venomous X
Memory 6GB G-Skill Ripjaws
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX480
Storage OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD, 2 WD-1002FAEX in BTRFS RAID
Display(s) NEC Multisync 2490WUXi
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 8-channel HDA
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software aptosid Linux, Win 7 on VMWare Player 4
It's easy to predict who will win this one ..... the LAWYERS!

They always win.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I can't argue with that. Chances are the lawyers will get a good $200,000 a piece <i>at least</i> and the people in the lawsuit will get $5 a piece in the end, if they even win.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
It's easy to predict who will win this one ..... the LAWYERS! They always win.

True, usually even if they lose. The reason that it's only in the US, is most other countries don't allow contingency based settlements. In other words, lawyers in the US get a commission for winning a settlement - it aint about justice, it's about money.

Should I sue logitech for dropping a cordless mouse on my foot? Spilling piping hot coffee in my lap? Being generally stupid?

Processor Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Venomous X
Memory 6GB G-Skill Ripjaws
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX480
Storage OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD, 2 WD-1002FAEX in BTRFS RAID
Display(s) NEC Multisync 2490WUXi
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 8-channel HDA
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software aptosid Linux, Win 7 on VMWare Player 4
I believe America would be far better off with a "Loser Pays All Costs" rule for lawsuits. I think that would get folks thinking through things before they start launching suits.

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro