• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

vidcard for working in viewport such as Maya/houdini

kysg

System Name Workhorse lappy
Processor AMD A6 3420
Memory 8GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) ATI radeon 6520G
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD SATAIII
Display(s) 15inch LCD
Software Windows 7 64bit
I've been searching a few threads, and have been looking around.

Kinda on the fence about a graphics cad, I know I can go cheapo, but when working with Maya, and houdini in the viewport kinda wondering if I should take a GTX 650 / radeon 7850.

I know I'm buying the video card last unless there is a killer deal.

just wanted some extra thoughts

I know all rendering is CPU based but this is more for the viewport. In case I can't finish on the laptop and have to move stuff over.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
you need a professional series card end of story

my review on the W5000 here
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2070/1/

if you want shit performance by all means buy GeForce or Radeon

but for Autodesk Maya the W5000 which is a stripped down 7850 aka its 7770 performance in games is 315% faster in full scale Maya testing vs the 7970 for reference.

kysg

System Name Workhorse lappy
Processor AMD A6 3420
Memory 8GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) ATI radeon 6520G
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD SATAIII
Display(s) 15inch LCD
Software Windows 7 64bit
you need a professional series card end of story

my review on the W5000 here
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2070/1/

if you want shit performance by all means buy GeForce or Radeon

but for Autodesk Maya the W5000 which is a stripped down 7850 aka its 7770 performance in games is 315% faster in full scale Maya testing vs the 7970 for reference.

Uh huh thank you for the tip...
you need a professional something but I'm not gonna let it fly out of my mouth.

also don't plan on playing games.
Next up considering that I already knew about quadro's and firepro's and was distancing the thought of blowing 500 bucks on them. Since people who buy those usually dump 3000g's on a workstation. Which I know I didn't do. Thanks...

though hmm firepro does sound like something to look into but I'm using linux

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
look im gonna be blunt if you want do anything related to maya get a proper gpu otherwise your still just pissing money away.

took Computer Animation at fullsail and ive done 3D modeling and rendering for the last 6 + years as a hobby, in the end nothing has worked as well as a Firepro or Quadro card,

Maya with ANY RADEON GPU PERIOD will have stuttering and further issues i waited over a year for AMD to simply release a driver to fix the 2-5 second dely when selecting verticies or single UV points select more than one lag increased nearly linearly. GeForce cards work a little bit better but in the end they still take a huge back seat compared to Quadro or Firepro.

and those cards arent that expensive

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...kwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CK_gy_v39bQCFYKK4AodBDwA7g

cheapest firepro

AMD 100-505649 FirePro V4900 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI...

quadros

PNY VCQ600-PB Quadro 600 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Expr...''

ill quote myself from my own review.

"We had zero issues in all versions of Autodesk Maya that we used for testing this past month. It was also easy to see an improvement in work flow as the time to get a project moving and getting certain aspects done was easier and faster due to how much more responsive the FirePro W5000 was in comparison to the Radeon HD 7970. That said, up until a few months ago the Radeon HD 7970 we use as the regular GPU in this system was slow and cumbersome with extremely bad performance. Driver revisions have corrected this issue to an extent for the Radeon GPU, but performance is still far below that of the FirePro solution, which really shows how much drivers and support can improve performance and a person’s workflow. The change when unwrapping UVs for texturing for example was just far smoother on the FirePro with the selection of UVs having no noticeable lag compared to the Radeons."

"One thing we do have to mention however is that after exporting our mesh from Autodesk Maya 2012 and bringing it into Mudbox for sculpting out normal maps, we noticed that on the Radeon HD 7970 ambient occlusion did not function as intended in the viewport, but this would be considered a minor issue. The said, the FirePro W5000 on the other hand had no issues rendering ambient occlusion in the viewport. Other than the extra viewport render options functioning better on the FirePro W5000, both cards performed nearly identically when it came to sculpting a high-res mesh for normal map generation. All in all, our experience with the AMD FirePro W5000 was a positive one, with it performing admirably in all tests."

Last edited: