• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to Name GK110-based Consumer Graphics Card "GeForce Titan"

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
That's really rubbish - laggy and juddery all the way. I'm glad I don't have a console.

I game at 120Hz with LightBoost on and it's awesome. :rockout: Yes, the difference is highly visible.

I guess you must never go to theaters and watch regular TV?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I played Crysis as a FPS and NFS Hot Pursuit as a race game, and both looked OK and very playable even if they were capped at 30fps. I have no issues either, so I think people are overreacting and exaggerating with this FPS crap discussion...

Have you ever played these games vsynced to 60Hz or 120Hz? I suspect you haven't. If you haven't, then that 30Hz cap might well seem ok to you.

In addition, LightBoost, makes a very big difference by eliminating motion blur. The effect is nothing short of awesome. You basically get to have your cake and eat it. :D

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That's really rubbish - laggy and juddery all the way. I'm glad I don't have a console.

So I take it that you find Blu-Ray video "laggy and jittery" as well because it's capped at either 24p, 25p, 23.976p, or 29.97i and will never exceed 30 FPS (Sans 29.97i but even that might jump because you have to deinterlace the video).

I think that what people think of as "jittery and laggy" is actually the render time from frame to frame. Just because you're running at 30 FPS doesn't mean that every frame is rendered in the same amount of time. So if you render 30 frames in 1 second but the first 25 get rendered in the first half three quarters of a second, and the last 5 takes that last quarter of a second, you have changes in frame-rate that causes the jittery-ness you describe and you have the reduced framerate for that quarter of a second that introduces lag (and if it reoccurs often, it introduces more jitter).

So all in all, the frame-rate argument is dumb. The only reason 60FPS and 120FPS feels "smoother" is because that difference in render time from frame to frame that that much less. So I'm willing to bet that a 30 FPS game with equal render times from frame to frame versus 60 FPS that doesn't, the 30 FPS has the potential to feel smoother if not just as smooth because the instantaneous frame rate would be consistant.

The most important thing to take away from this is:
Average frame rate is not the same thing as instantaneous frame rates and variation between frame render times. Also keep in mind that it will be hard to make it perfect, as scene's change the render time can change as well.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
So I take it that you find Blu-Ray video "laggy and jittery" as well because it's capped at either 24p, 25p, 23.976p, or 29.97i and will never exceed 30 FPS (Sans 29.97i but even that might jump because you have to deinterlace the video).

I think that what people think of as "jittery and laggy" is actually the render time from frame to frame. Just because you're running at 30 FPS doesn't mean that every frame is rendered in the same amount of time. So if you render 30 frames in 1 second but the first 25 get rendered in the first half three quarters of a second, and the last 5 takes that last quarter of a second, you have changes in frame-rate that causes the jittery-ness you describe and you have the reduced framerate for that quarter of a second that introduces lag (and if it reoccurs often, it introduces more jitter).

So all in all, the frame-rate argument is dumb. The only reason 60FPS and 120FPS feels "smoother" is because that difference in render time from frame to frame that that much less. So I'm willing to bet that a 30 FPS game with equal render times from frame to frame versus 60 FPS that doesn't, the 30 FPS has the potential to feel smoother if not just as smooth because the instantaneous frame rate would be consistant.

Average frame rate is not the same thing as instantaneous frame rates and variation between frame render times. Also keep in mind that it will be hard to make it perfect, as scene's change the render time can change as well.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Seriously people, I don't see what's so difficult to understand? I suspect that there's a certain amount of denialism going on here.

I might just write that article on framerate sooner rather than later.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Seriously people, I don't see what's so difficult to understand? I suspect that there's a certain amount of denialism going on here.

Then do it because it seems like most people disagree with you. I'll read it if you write it. I'm not saying that 60 and 120 FPS isn't smoother. I'm just saying that the jitter that people notice with 30 FPS is more likely inconsistant render times rather than the rate. That has nothing to do with other rates.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Then do it because it seems like most people disagree with you. I'll read it if you write it. I'm not saying that 60 and 120 FPS isn't smoother. I'm just saying that the jitter that people notice with 30 FPS is more likely inconsistant render times rather than the rate. That has nothing to do with other rates.

I doubt that "most" people disagree. There's just a few vocal ones that insist on trying to negate what I'm saying, lol.

This isn't rocket science. I've seen all this stuff for myself and the effects are all very obvious, so I know I'm right. There's no way someone can "prove" me wrong with a counter argument, as it's inevitably flawed.

Last edited:
System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Here's a better comparison for you, GTX690 being 53% faster than the GE at 1200p

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/images/perfrel_1920.gif

Now, math is not my strong point but I reckon going by the presumed 85% performance of the Titan (ium) compared to GTX690, this GK110 based card would be 45% faster than the 7970GE.

Aside from what other people stated about 85% of GTX 690, I'd also want to point out that those are pre-Catalyst 12.11b/13.1WHQL scores, so the difference might be less than 30%... Even so, I take most these wide-margin calculations with shovel full of salt.

Again, don't compare a movie with a game, the frame rates are "packed" waaaay different, Earth to Moon different. Besides, I believe we all want that virtual image, that virtual experience to be more life like, no? That also needs a high frame rate, just in the same way, a movie is more true to life close to 60 rather than 24.

Plus, a higher frame rate gives better control over your avatar.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Thermaltake V9
Software Win 8.1 64
Again, don't compare a movie with a game, the frame rates are "packed" waaaay different, Earth to Moon different. Besides, I believe we all want that virtual image, that virtual experience to be more life like, no? That also needs a high frame rate, just in the same way, a movie is more true to life close to 60 rather than 24.

Higher framerates can certainly lower frame latencies. But like the techreport reviews have proven that it can go from 2ms between frames all the way to 50+ms between frames and still maintain a higher avg frame rates. There's no special "packed" way a movies does, it's just a smooth consistent frame rate throughout. That is why 24 fps works in theaters and 30/60 fps works for TVs. Nobody ever complained about that! Your brain will adjust to a consistent frame rates(eg. you can't see fluorescent lights blinking). Inconsistent frame rates will need to have a minimum latency for you to perceive it as smooth. I think anything below 16.7ms(60hz) is hard to detect. I can tell a slight difference between 60 and 75hz but not too many people can.

Write it and stop wasting data and bandwidth posting this crap. You're just being rude and annoying.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

I swear I'm going to shoot the next person that tries to compare movie framerates to videogame framerates.

Apparently we can try to inform these people until we're blue in the face but they'll keep skipping over what we're saying (and backing up with facts) and going on comparing movies/TV to games...

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Thermaltake V9
Software Win 8.1 64
I swear I'm going to shoot the next person that tries to compare movie framerates to videogame framerates.

whoa, raging much? I agree with you but frame rates are not that serious. Let's just solve world hunger or cure cancer :)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I think it is time to move on folks. Feel free to continue this conversation about frame rates in a new thread or in PM's.
Carry on

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Write it and stop wasting data and bandwidth posting this crap. You're just being rude and annoying.

The only people being rude, annoying and thread crapping are those like yourself who take a pop at me for no good reason. :slap:

Anyway, it's the wrong thread to talk about framerates here, like HammerON said.

There's no special "packed" way a movies does

I'm only going to say it once and be done with it: yes, there is. The frames overlap in such a way that fools the eye. I saw that someplace, but I can't find it any more. Believe or don't believe, your choice.

Yeah, I can settle with 30FPS locked on if I have to, but I don't like it, even if it's 33,(3)ms perfect. I want life like experience, faster response from me and prompt response from my character. That is given by a high FPS of at least 60. That rocks my boat.

And why on God's green Earth people think this card would be overkill? My 2500@4,5GHz and 7950 (1170/1600MHz - somewhere equal to 7970ghz ed./gtx680) can't give a solid 60FPS in all games even on 1680x1050 if I choose highest in game settings. There is never to much performance, just to expensive to get it. :)

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
The issue I have with that 85% of a 690 comment is that there's no unit of measurement.

Is it 85% in game performance? Then that pretty much says right there how the GK110 card will perform.

Is it 85% of the render/shader performance? In this case the actual in-game performance might be even better than the 690, because there aren't any SLI scaling issues to deal with.

I'm expecting this to play out much like 560Ti vs 580, which is really where GK104 probably stands against GK110.

Last edited:

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
This had better have all of the 15 SMX units enabled. This card should've launched a year ago, I doubt anybody is going to want or accept anything less than a perfect card, especially at the rumoured price of $900...Nvidia have had a year to get their shit together so this had better be their full 2880 shader GPU.

System Name T7BSY
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P Intel Z68 (REV B3)
Cooling C.M Hyper 212 Plus
Memory G Skill RipJaws X 8GB
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 680 4GB JetStream
Storage M4 SSD 120GB + OCZVertex 64GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 500R White
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply 750W OCZ ZS
Software Window 7 64
I'm only going to say it once and be done with it: yes, there is. The frames overlap in such a way that fools the eye. I saw that someplace, but I can't find it any more. Believe or don't believe, your choice.

Yes, film makers use tricks like using the same frame 4 times, look read here and this will help to get a better understanding on both film, and games, then for the rest its sometime better to agree to disagree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and same can be said for FPS cos we are all different hence why we feel so strongly about our own view :) its cos that how we see things ;)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~

Yeah, I can settle with 30FPS locked on if I have to, but I don't like it, even if it's 33,(3)ms perfect. I want life like experience, faster response from me and prompt response from my character. That is given by a high FPS of at least 60. That rocks my boat.

And why on God's green Earth people think this card would be overkill? My 2500@4,5GHz and 7950 (1170/1600MHz - somewhere equal to 7970ghz ed./gtx680) can't give a solid 60FPS in all games even on 1680x1050 if I choose highest in game settings. There is never to much performance, just to expensive to get it. :)

Yes, film makers use tricks like using the same frame 4 times, look read here and this will help to get a better understanding on both film, and games, then for the rest its sometime better to agree to disagree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and same can be said for FPS cos we are all different hence why we feel so strongly about our own view :) its cos that how we see things ;)

Last warning. Any more discussion about frame rates/movies will lead to an infraction.

Worth the wait

I'll certainly get one, I deliberately skipped the 600 series as they weren't much of an upgrade compared to my 3 570's, and only a retard would upgrade EVERY year.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I'll certainly get one, I deliberately skipped the 600 series as they weren't much of an upgrade compared to my 3 570's, and only a retard would upgrade EVERY year.

Would you pay $900 for it though? I'd have to be very well off to spend that much on a card.

If it's close to a gtx690 performance, some will. At least you'll get a much better experience and there is no need for SLI profiles anymore.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If it's close to a gtx690 performance, some will. At least you'll get a much better experience and there is no need for SLI profiles anymore.

I don't get this.. You're saying with every new generation of cards, the price should increase by almost twofold?

I remember when the 5870 replaced the 4870... The performance was almost double and the price was actually cheaper!

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

I dont' think it makes sense at this price point. If it's coming out to pre-empt AMD's 8 series cards, it should be priced around what the GTX680 was when it was released.

I suppose this also depends on what this card is branded as.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

Only a retard would use such a sweeping generalisation :slap: but seriously I probably do upgrade once a year, I have a Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 (overclocks to 1200/1450 on stock volts)

I buy mainly mid-high end (last few cards: GTX 470, GTX 570, HD 7950) so to some a marginal upgrade every generation but the way I look at it is that I sold my 470 for 2/3 the cost of the 570 and the 570 was better at stock, able to far exceed the 470 OC, used less power ran cooler etc etc. The same is true when I sold my 570 and went with my current 7950, I paid a small upgrade fee after I sold my card and benefitted from a newer architecture, far greater performance when taking overcloking into consideration and of course it's the latest gen hardware so will hold the same kind of resale value as the previous cards when the new generation of cards come out enabling me to again upgrade for a marginal expense whilst having the latest gen hardware, it's a no brainer to me.

Nope erocker, the huge ripoff price for the 7xxx series kept me away from it until the magic driver and bundle came true. What I'm saying guys, is that no matter how high the price will be, there are folks that will pay... at least if the performance is wright.

At the same time, if this would launch at the same price point as gtx 680, it will mean price drops for every card underneath and the killing of gtx680/690. Sure, that should happen if we are talking about a new series, but at least for now, we know to little. If AMD launches at a better price/performance, then it lowers the prices (they have a margin to play with), if not... not. It's a win-win for them.

Last edited: