• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Continues to Proclaim its Love for PC - by doing nothing at E3

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Xbox is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. If Microsoft were serious about PC gaming, they'd make a PC gaming division and Microsoft Game Studios contract out to both PC, Xbox, and any other platforms they decide to support. So long as Microsoft keeps PC under Xbox, PC will continue to get the shaft and the PC industry will chug on with little support from Microsoft outside of Visual Studio and DirectX.

I think Microsoft should just quit, honestly. All the talent they had from Ensemble, FASA, etc. has jumped ship. There's literally no talent left at Microsoft that hasn't been dedicated to Xbox for the past decade. They need to stop pretending they care. Additionally, all of the titles Windows got from Microsoft recently (like Fable III) were developed for Xbox first and PC second. As far as ports go, they did well, but seriously, they need to stop insulting us with the Xbox favoritism.

Processor Intel i7 4960X
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz
Video Card(s) 2x eVGA GTX Titan SLI
Storage 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) Asus VG23AH
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Should I be surprised? It's just MS/MoronSucks being moron and suck. Even with Mantle they still think DX is the best API. Let's see what happened when SteamOS is finally unleashed.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Let's see what happened when SteamOS is finally unleashed.

PC makers will continue to gouge customers by selling them low end hardware for stupendously high prices inside a "steambox", then customers will complain that their costlier-than-console crapshoots of a steambox don't play games very well, and that every time SteamOS tries to install a driver, it breaks linux horribly.

Seriously check out various Linux forums of people installing AMD and NVidia drivers on Mint or whatever, it's a nightmare.

Micrsoft need to stop pretending they care about PC gamers. it's insulting to read the same thing every single year, even moreso when they close that pile of ass called GFWL and then everybody's game saves and multiplayer is broken and doesn't work anymore. They know full well they get billions in revenue from PC game sales, and seem to think they need to tell us they love us. They don't, we know they don't, so they need to stand aside.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Xbox is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming. If Microsoft were serious about PC gaming, they'd make a PC gaming division and Microsoft Game Studios contract out to both PC, Xbox, and any other platforms they decide to support. So long as Microsoft keeps PC under Xbox, PC will continue to get the shaft and the PC industry will chug on with little support from Microsoft outside of Visual Studio and DirectX.

I think Microsoft should just quit, honestly. All the talent they had from Ensemble, FASA, etc. has jumped ship. There's literally no talent left at Microsoft that hasn't been dedicated to Xbox for the past decade. They need to stop pretending they care. Additionally, all of the titles Windows got from Microsoft recently (like Fable III) were developed for Xbox first and PC second. As far as ports go, they did well, but seriously, they need to stop insulting us with the Xbox favoritism.

Should I be surprised? It's just MS/MoronSucks being moron and suck. Even with Mantle they still think DX is the best API. Let's see what happened when SteamOS is finally unleashed.

Yup, MS lied from the start so nothing since then has been a surprise. "We're releasing the Xbox as a PC-like device for playing games. We're making development so easy that nearly all titles will be available for both platforms."

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
PC makers will continue to gouge customers by selling them low end hardware for stupendously high prices inside a "steambox", then customers will complain that their costlier-than-console crapshoots of a steambox don't play games very well, and that every time SteamOS tries to install a driver, it breaks linux horribly.

Seriously check out various Linux forums of people installing AMD and NVidia drivers on Mint or whatever, it's a nightmare.

Micrsoft need to stop pretending they care about PC gamers. it's insulting to read the same thing every single year, even moreso when they close that pile of ass called GFWL and then everybody's game saves and multiplayer is broken and doesn't work anymore. They know full well they get billions in revenue from PC game sales, and seem to think they need to tell us they love us. They don't, we know they don't, so they need to stand aside.
Whilst I understand and somewhat agree with your point regarding the specs of steamboxs I think you should have a go at running your pc as one.
It Is enlightening , valve have very quickly got On the ball , rock solid afaik their driver ssupport is good and it all Just works as does in home streaming , its not the answer to M $ just yet but hold off slating something you have not tried.
M $ are soon to be on the ropes at this rate imho 3 years time it Will be a different ball game.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Whilst I understand and somewhat agree with your point regarding the specs of steamboxs I think you should have a go at running your pc as one.
It Is enlightening , valve have very quickly got On the ball , rock solid afaik their driver ssupport is good and it all Just works as does in home streaming , its not the answer to M $ just yet but hold off slating something you have not tried.
M $ are soon to be on the ropes at this rate imho 3 years time it Will be a different ball game.

I think it should be a point of interest to AMD and NVidia to make drivers more easily accessible to linux now that SteamOS is a thing. I agree in a few years, M$ are going to be prodded in the ass a few times when it comes to PC gaming.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Xbox One exclusive games published by Microsoft Studios:
-Crackdown
-Crimson Dragon
-D4
-Fable Legends (developed by Microsoft-owned Lionhead Studios)
-Forza Motorsport 5 (developed by Microsoft-owned Turn 10 Studios)
-Gears of War title (developed by Microsoft-owned Black Tusk Studios)
-Halo: The Master Chief Collection (developed by Microsoft-owned 343 Industries)
-Halo 5: Guardians (developed by Microsoft-owned 343 Industries)
-Killer Instinct
-Killer Instinct Classic (developed by Microsoft-owned Rare Ltd.)
-Kinect Sports Rivals (developed by Microsoft-owned Rare Ltd.)
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Phantom Dust
-Powerstar Golf
-Quantum Break
-Ryse: Son of Rome
-Scalebound
-Sunset Overdrive
-Xbox Fitness

...that's a pretty lengthy list of "fuck you" from Microsoft...

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Well I installed steam os beta early on and at that time my souncard didn't work the gpu did though.
Since then valves updates have sorted all issues out and its looking quite polished atm , shame the games (AAA) aren't there yet but with time eh.
I think that a genuine alternative might well prod M $ in the right direction though and its what's lacking, ie competition driving Microsoft to do better for pc gamers.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Xbox One exclusive games published by Microsoft Studios:
-Crackdown
-Crimson Dragon
-D4
-Fable Legends (developed by Microsoft-owned Lionhead Studios)
-Forza Motorsport 5 (developed by Microsoft-owned Turn 10 Studios)
-Gears of War title (developed by Microsoft-owned Black Tusk Studios)
-Halo: The Master Chief Collection (developed by Microsoft-owned 343 Industries)
-Halo 5: Guardians (developed by Microsoft-owned 343 Industries)
-Killer Instinct
-Killer Instinct Classic (developed by Microsoft-owned Rare Ltd.)
-Kinect Sports Rivals (developed by Microsoft-owned Rare Ltd.)
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Phantom Dust
-Powerstar Golf
-Quantum Break
-Ryse: Son of Rome
-Scalebound
-Sunset Overdrive
-Xbox Fitness

...that's a pretty lengthy list of "fuck you" from Microsoft...

Amazing how they actively screw over THEIR OWN platform :laugh:
"But all PC users are nasty pirates and keep asking us to remove motion blur and keep asking for silly graphics settings... We don't even know what FOV slider means!"

Processor Intel i7 4960X
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz
Video Card(s) 2x eVGA GTX Titan SLI
Storage 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) Asus VG23AH
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

SteamOS is a heavily modified Linux, right? By Valve no less. Perhaps it performs better and has better driver support but time will tell. At least we're going to get a great alternative. And I for one will never buy any steambox or other PC-console crap. With my current rig I could run SteamOS with no problem though I didn't test it for long.

Oh, and let's NOT forget how they're forcing Windows 8.1 down our throats. PC love my arse. If that's what they call "love" then I'd rather be hated.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
SteamOS is a heavily modified Linux, right? By Valve no less. Perhaps it performs better and has better driver support but time will tell. At least we're going to get a great alternative. And I for one will never buy any steambox or other PC-console crap. With my current rig I could run SteamOS with no problem though I didn't test it for long.

Oh, and let's NOT forget how they're forcing Windows 8.1 down our throats. PC love my arse. If that's what they call "love" then I'd rather be hated.

The issue is, M$ could be totally neutral and hands off, but unfortunately they insist on making various features proprietary, such as DX 12 only being available on Windows 8, which was their first mistake, because everybody hated Windows 8 when it came out. It's like Halo being exclusive to the cesspit that was Vista when XP was an amazing gaming platform.

When you make things exclusive to certain platforms(Windows) within a platform(PC), you're just bashing your own head in with a sack of rabid gerbils.

I'm amazed how they never learn ever. They're very out of touch with what people actually want.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Amazing how they actively screw over THEIR OWN platform :laugh:
"But all PC users are nasty pirates and keep asking us to remove motion blur and keep asking for silly graphics settings... We don't even know what FOV slider means!"

:roll: Wow, that's good stuff!! Your rant in this whole thread is so funny!!! But sadly....too true. Good work putting it all together.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
A lot of this happened under Balmer. With Balmer gone, maybe things will change.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Well since ballmer left all ive heard is one ui and os for all.
Now that's comedy gold.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
A lot of this happened under Balmer. With Balmer gone, maybe things will change.

New guy seems pretty cool if you ask me. I'm not overly fond of the iOS platform, but the first thing he did was drop office onto iPad. That made a lot of my staff and students VERY happy, because they got it for free under M$'s subscription licensing for schools.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Well since ballmer left all ive heard is one ui and os for all.
Now that's comedy gold.
Hey, he just recently took his position. It takes longer than that for the development cycle to catch up to philosophical changes. For example, if he ordered games to be pushed to Windows, they couldn't make that announcement at this E3 because they're not even close to ready. I'm not saying they did because what Spencer said gives me no faith but it is still possible.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Not as good as my Steam Greenlight rant. I read that back to myself and think of comedy gold.

You're right about that!

Seriously though, you're right on the money about the people that made PC's so widely used and accepted, and who originally promoted PC gaming, having not only abandoned us, but seemingly working against us.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
And this is at a time where PC gaming is seeing steady growth that could only be surpassed by consoles by launching two brand new consoles. It's just a matter of time before the PC market takes back the growth crown and it will keep it until the next console launch.

If Microsoft were smart, they'd basically turn the Xbox into a SteamBox and publish all of their games for Windows/Xbox. That is, merge the two developmentally. It's literally the best of all worlds. That was the idea of the original Xbox which they have since completely abandoned.

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I think microsoft are being beaten with several big sticks atm , and are loosing profit potential hand over fist, they are so pre occupied with mobile that their myopic view is hurting the base loyalty they once had.
If they don't get their eye back on the ball soon they could well be the biggest company I have ever seen go awol , and within ten years.
Games are just a small part of what they are getting Wrong.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Last year, they had an operating income of over $21 billion. Even though they are doing everything wrong, they're still highly profitable. They have little/no incentive to fix the problems.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Last year, they had an operating income of over $21 billion. Even though they are doing everything wrong, they're still highly profitable. They have little/no incentive to fix the problems.

Wow! That's a staggering number! A couple of bright spots (in the interest of fairness). One, the new CEO. He's a breath of fresh air, and I'm hoping he can change some corporate mindsets there. Two, W8, as much polar opposite hate and love as it has received, I do have to admit, based on my fiance's pc with 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 I am amazed at how much backward compatibility there has been for old games that will play on it! That at least is something done right.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Well even if Microsoft's PC games employees all lose their jobs for not caring about PC gaming, they will at least be successful politicians. After all, they are great at breaking promises.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
And this is at a time where PC gaming is seeing steady growth that could only be surpassed by consoles by launching two brand new consoles. It's just a matter of time before the PC market takes back the growth crown and it will keep it until the next console launch.

If Microsoft were smart, they'd basically turn the Xbox into a SteamBox and publish all of their games for Windows/Xbox. That is, merge the two developmentally. It's literally the best of all worlds. That was the idea of the original Xbox which they have since completely abandoned.

It's a popular theme that PC gaming is dead or dying for many many years now but money talks and bullshit walks. ArsTechnica reported that PC game sales were approximately $24 billion last year or maybe it was 2012. I don't remember exactly but that's a hell of a lot of pie for publishers to carve up.

The Steam Box and Steam OS is possibly about Newell's disdain for MS and his knee jerk reaction to protect his own income source but maybe not. We'll see.