• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R80X256V locks up system after bad flash !

peterg2000

I reflashed the card and now it freezes the system ! Even if I boot with a PCI card it freezes ! So now I can't reflash it back ! I downloaded the flash file from this site . I thought it was the correct file for this card . Is the card scrapped or is there some reset or whatever I can do !

Where IS the flash on this card , I can't see any chip that looks like a flash ! Is it on the core chip ?

Thanks
Pete

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
More details, what manufacturer made your card? What series is it from? Do you know what memory the card uses and what its rated for? Have you checked the card is deffinately causing your system to freeze by resetting the CMOS, taking the card out and using another in its place?

peterg2000

Its a Gigabyte X850XT PE ! Samsung k4j55w23qf-gc16 . The card was tried in 4-5 different systems and it hangs every one !

Pete

Its a Gigabyte X850XT PE ! Samsung k4j55w23qf-gc16 . The card was tried in 4-5 different systems and it hangs every one !

Pete

Look even after 2 posts it is not clear what exactly card do you have. Be more precise and tell us AGP or PCI-E card you have. If it is PCI-E then VIVO or non VIVO your card is? If it PCI-E and not VIVO, probably you have flashed XT PE VIVO bios which is for dual DVI (but your original X850XT non VIVO should have 1xVGA/1xDVI) and you are using exactly the VGA exit for the monitor .......... and so on ;)

Are you sure that you didn't flash AGP BIOS on PCI-E card or vice versa?

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
Is your card AGP or PCIE? and is it dual DVI or not?

I forgot to ask you to post here the BIOS which you flashed on your card. If it is Gigabyte most probably you have the done the most common mistake ever (flashing of WRONG BIOS type). The card can be fixed but I need more details in order to recommend some actions. Prepare PCI video card, soldering iron and 0.5m fine wire ;) .

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
If hes just getting a flash error he shouldnt need to use any soldering skills, just specify what flash routine atiflash should use, most common are -sst and -atmel.

peterg2000

Sorry about the lack of info !

Its a Gigabyte X850XT PE with VIVO ! AGP ! 1 DVI and 1 VGA connector + the composit S-Video connector in the middle !

It was flashed with either this one ATI.X800XT.256.Samsung16.500500.bin

or this one ATI.X800XT.256.Samsung16.520560.bin !

I was having some compatibility issues and was hoping flashing it would solve the problem .
That was a few months ago ,I put a spare card in and just got around to trying to get this one back to working again !

Thanks

Pete

I did this to another card a while back and the first flash I used caused errors but was able to reflash with another
Bios with no problem ! So I expected to be able to reflash if I encountered problems ! Ooops not this time !

OK attach here both BIOSes mantioned above (point which was the last one before the problem to rise).

It won't work but you can try my automated flash utility (bootable). It will be also necessary when you start to revive your card later on (when you attach the BIOSes).

http://savefile.com/projects/738578

My advice is to read that: http://reference.techpowerup.com/Fixing_a_completely_gone_wrong_ATI_BIOS_flash

When I see the BIOSes (the wrong BIOS flashed) I will tell you whether you have realy flashed your AGP card with PCI-E BIOS which results no boot on every PC with that card installed. It will be necessary to solder 2 pieces of wire on pins 1 and 8 of the EEPROM, to mount the cooler again, to connect the two ends of the wires, to install the card together with PCI VGA and to boot from the PCI (You can use the utility in manual mode but when flashing instead of adapter 0 you should flash adapter 1 - in that case your AGP card).

peterg2000

Ok , I managed to boot to DOS with a PCI card , then I cut the wire between pin 1 & 8 , but when I try query or write the card it gives an error!

I tried

atiflash -i
atiflash -ai
atiflash -f -p 0 gig.bin
atiflash -f -p 1 gig.bin

They ALL give the same error !

Identity: page fault (0838:00124ce2 )
Unrelocated crash address (1:00018cd2) ,error code pushed on stack !

Unfortunately after my first test , the wire on pin 1 came off when I tried
to skin the ends . But I know it made good contact as the system booted !
I wanted to run the

Pete