• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer won't use dedicated GPU... Tried almost anything

StoreB

Cant choose Nvidia GPU in Nvidia Contol Panel

Laptop: Lenovo Z50-70
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4400
Dedicated GPU: GeForce 840M

My Lenovo laptop has been working for about 3 years now with a few minor errors along the way. But yesterday i came home from school (laptop worked perfectly at school) and was about to play a game of CS:GO. I usually get about 140-160 fps, but now I got about 20-30 fps. I checked the Nvidia Control Panel to see what GPU my computer was using, and although it was set to use GeForce 840M it still uses Intel IGPU...
I downloaded the GPU-Z to check if it used the Nvidia GPU at all, and yes it surprisingly did, but only when I ran "Valley Benchmark". It won't use the Nvidia GPU even though I disable the Intel HD 4400.

When i check dxdiag it says that the screen uses Intel HD Graphics Family and under reproduce it says it uses Nvidia GeForce 840M, not exactly sure if this gives you lads some hints about my issue, but it might be worth telling.

What I've tried so far:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
-Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
-Set 3d to Performance
-Set power management to High Performance

Windows Control Panel:
-Set power management to High Performance

Software Installation:
-Installed Lenovo outdated Intel and NVIDIA drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled Current Versions Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

If it helps by showing some pictures from Nvidia CP, GPU-Z or just anything I could throw those in a comment.

I realy appreciate it if someone would be so kind and give me some help here!

Thank you in advance :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Gripe at Nvidia, Lenovo. They are the ones that manufature that potato

Silly question as I am not well versed in video cards: What does it say about it in the BIOS?

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Reboot

StoreB

Silly question as I am not well versed in video cards: What does it say about it in the BIOS?

I haven't gone far into BIOS, but I didn't find any way to change the settings for which card to use. It only had an option between Intel and some other fancy thing, so I didn't find any solutions there.
The Lenovo BIOS doesn't come with a lot of options and is pretty weak imo, but i'll have a look around and write it down!

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Generally there's a setting under primary graphics adapter or something to that effect which will have selections like PCI E , and I GPU

That's what you're looking for and you want to set it to PCI E, or similar. Don't be afraid to look around in your bios it's yours you own it, then you should be worried about is changing things without knowing what they do but looking won't hurt

I haven't gone far into BIOS, but I didn't find any way to change the settings for which card to use. It only had an option between Intel and some other fancy thing, so I didn't find any solutions there.
I'm not that familiar with the Lenovo BIOS.

Hmmm...I still have a funny feeling on the BIOS side. Can you list the options under the Graphics tab in BIOS to better help us understand?

StoreB

Generally there's a setting under primary graphics adapter or something to that effect which will have selections like PCI E , and I GPU
That's what you're looking for and you want to set it to PCI E, or similar. Don't be afraid to look around in your bios it's yours you own it, then you should be worried about is changing things without knowing what they do but looking won't hurt

Aight, thanks. I'll check that out. But last time I checked i saw no such options. But I'll have a look again :)

StoreB

Hmmm...I still have a funny feeling on the BIOS side. Can you list the options under the Graphics tab in BIOS to better help us understand?

Well... Under Graphic Device I have only two options: Discrete and UMA only. Discrete means that it will use the IGPU and GPU, and UMA only means that it will ONLY use the IGPU. And the setting is set to discrete

Well... Under Graphic Device I have only two options: Discrete and UMA only. Discrete means that it will use the IGPU and GPU, and UMA only means that it will ONLY use the IGPU. And the setting is set to discrete

I guess I was wrong. My next suggestion (which you already did) would be to tweak the settings in the NVIDIA control panel. Strike two for me I suppose. The driver situation seems like a dead end too. This is a shot in the dark, but if you run a utility like GPU-Z, I believe it should show the integrated and standalone GPU's? If you run that, does it show both? I think there is a drop down menu near the bottom of all available cards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

Perhaps someone with more know-how can chime in too?

StoreB

I guess I was wrong. My next suggestion (which you already did) would be to tweak the settings in the NVIDIA control panel. Strike two for me I suppose. The driver situation seems like a dead end too. This is a shot in the dark, but if you run a utility like GPU-Z, I believe it should show the integrated and standalone GPU's? If you run that, does it show both? I think there is a drop down menu near the bottom of all available cards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

Perhaps someone with more know-how can chime in too?

Tweaking the Nvidia CP doesn't help. I can choose between the two GPU's, but it doesn't change anything for some reason.
And the GPU-Z shows both GPU's in the drop down menu. It shows that the IGPU runs. But the Nvidia GPU doens't run, only for 1 second at a time each 3-4 seconds

Then the latter part of my last post applies. I'm bone dry on ideas here. Anyone else? Perhaps it is indeed a hardware issue?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Have you tried resetting the bios on this thing? Or maybe even a bios update? Because unfortunately if it's showing the Nvidia control panel, and it's showing that it sent to discrete GPU the only option is it's not being read correctly by the PC or a video card is dead or malfunctioning it some way.I suppose I would look into bios resetting and or bios updating if it was me

I don't know how comfortable you are with opening up a laptop, it's not that serious but some people just aren't comfortable. The other choice without opening it is to update the bios or possibly there's a setting inside the bios to reset it back to default

EDIT****
assuming his is Yout bios, it looks like the laptop Chooses when it will use the dGPU, or iGPU based on scenario, maybe theres an issue with its detedtion of said scenarios?

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Jboydgolfer is on to something. Reset the bios and make sure it's the latest. Are you certain you aren't using the discrete gpu when it's needed? Sometimes they use the he igpu to save power on idle/2d, but when gaming the discrete card kicks in.

What does gpuz show you?

Have you tried resetting the bios on this thing? Or maybe even a bios update? Because unfortunately if it's showing the Nvidia control panel, and it's showing that it sent to discrete GPU the only option is it's not being read correctly by the PC or a video card is dead or malfunctioning it some way.I suppose I would look into bios resetting and or bios updating if it was me

That's a good idea. You stated it ran fine for 3+ years? Try a reset of the BIOS. If that doesn't work, the updated BIOS for the Z50-70 here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro...ries-laptops/lenovo-z50-70/downloads/ds100528
This update is from 2015.

What OS are you running?

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
according to this other thread, it WONT use the dGPU until it is needed, like after starting a game, unil then it wont show as used..

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...my-nvidia-840m-graphic-card-with/td-p/1700395

very common issue with these Lappy's, just Download GPUz, and leave it open in the background while running a game, see if it shows nvidia gpu activity.

GPUz

u shouldnt be able to install nvidia drivers w/o a nvidia gpu being recognized no?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
according to this other thread, it WONT use the dGPU until it is needed, like after starting a game, unil then it wont show as used..

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...my-nvidia-840m-graphic-card-with/td-p/1700395

very common issue with these Lappy's, just Download GPUz, and leave it open in the background while running a game, see if it shows nvidia gpu activity.

GPUz

u shouldnt be able to install nvidia drivers w/o a nvidia gpu being recognized no?
Jboydgolfer is on to something. Reset the bios and make sure it's the latest. Are you certain you aren't using the discrete gpu when it's needed? Sometimes they use the he igpu to save power on idle/2d, but when gaming the discrete card kicks in.

What does gpuz show you?

System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit
You can try disabling the Intel Graphics in Device Manager

upload_2017-1-30_15-58-53.png

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
You can try disabling the Intel Graphics in Device Manager

View attachment 83601

i dunno if thats a good idea, my thinking is the lappy uses a mix of Both, never one or the other except when set to iGPU, that may be a problem starter, unless it resets if he gets black screened out. i just wouldnt want the OP to be SOL with NO display :)

if it wont stay after reboot, then i would try it

System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit
i dunno if thats a good idea, my thinking is the lappy uses a mix of Both, never one or the other except when set to iGPU, that may be a problem starter, unless it resets if he gets black screened out. i just wouldnt want the OP to be SOL with NO display :)

if it wont stay after reboot, then i would try it

He mentioned it worked but only in select applications, but I agree making sure everything is up to date is the easiest and safest way to fix a problem.

System Name Winter Heater
Processor Intel Core I7 5820k@4250 Mhz
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Cryorig H5
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 + 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) OEM GTX 970
Storage Seagate ST4000VN000, Hitachi 2TB, Crucial CX500 1TB
Display(s) LG 23EA63
Case Thermaltake Versa N21
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Try a system restore to an earlier date, see if that fixes the issue. He did change the settings to max performance, which should in turn mandate that the dedicated GPU is used.

See if you can restore the system to an earlier date and if that helps, if not, BIOS reset and update as the others have suggested.

Also, try to remember if there were any updates done by windows or any program, sometimes they eff up the system.

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
What I've tried so far:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU

Add a profile under program settings and force NVIDIA there also.
(On my Optimus rig this is mandatory for Firefox' plugin-container.exe)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Did the game just get updated by steam when you launched it?

StoreB

What does gpuz show you?

Screenshots:
https://gyazo.com/20bf9f274ca50970ef850cfcc3cce993
https://gyazo.com/30536242e85088143c89f8e3e79d58f9
https://gyazo.com/8754a85ea0382e4d0a252d18512b20a1
https://gyazo.com/9678ad2d679704c88ebe923f2ea3a6cc