• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Intel's 28-core HEDT Processor a Panic Reaction to 32-core Threadripper

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
People arguing that Intel's deception was not good enough, so it's the people/press fault that they believed them and Intel is not to be blamed. Trying to misslead consumers is ok if it's not done too well.

Amazing.
It was a friggin demo of an unreleased product. Sorry if I don't burn them to the stake for that.

Jimster480

Of course it was dishonest, that's how marketing works. I'm more interested in knowing who believed that a current-gen 28-core could do 5GHz stock - especially when the demo machine required 1700W of cooling capacity.

Either way, some fanboy idiots will buy this, just like the idiots who bought the FX-9590.
Yep the 9590 was really only an enthusiast board, but tbh it did actually just run on a normal water cooler and it was actually a viable gaming/streaming machine for a competitive price (after the initial launch price). Although tbh I didn't buy one or even consider it. I had an FX6300 and then a 1241v3 after I sold my Phenom II x6 1045T oc @ 3.2Ghz.
Now I have replaced both that Xeon machine and my i7 Haswell ES machine (3-3.2Ghz) w/ my 1700x and its faster than both machines put together!
Jeez, what kinda monster PSU is that?! :eek: 3300W is more than you can pull from the wall here in the UK with its 240V mains, let alone the USA with its 120V mains.
I thought that it was using an 1800W Corsair IX?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Fantasy vs Reality ..

"Knowing full well that AMD would be showing a 32-core Threadripper CPU during Computex 2018, Intel created a diversion to steal some of AMD’s thunder a day early, showing unreal Cinebench numbers from a suspecting 28-core 5GHz CPU that is not a real product."

@techspot.com
It's hard to make a more obvious example of fanboyism; when AMD does something, they're heroes. When Intel does something comparable, they are obviously out to sabotage AMD. AMD's 32-core is no more "real" than Intel's 28 core.

Intel had two motherboard vendors design motherboards for their demo, so this was obviously planned long ahead.

We heard similar outrage when Intel launched Coffee Lake, which many fanboys claims was released to steal the attention of Ryzen. These fanboys needs to get out of their basement and meet the real world.

-----

Meanwhile, there are actual interesting information we could be discussing instead, like:
Intel Website shows multiple packages and internal code names, including Cascade Lake, Ice Lake, Whiskey Lake, and a new Advanced Package?

Last edited:
They never said it was overclocked, they said 28 core 5 ghz cpu at the same time they said 5ghz 8086 and people thought Intel had new architecture to get 5ghz everywhere (Mainstream that is)

Exactly - Intel without a doubt made it seem like they were launching 5.0GHz halo products at both 28 and 6-core counts.

The reality is you need a 2000w cooler to get ANY Platinum cherry-picked 28-core to 5GHz, and their "5GHz 6-core i7" will likely launch in incredibly limited numbers. However they will grab headlines and some mindshare...

Intel used a multiplier-unlocked derivative of the Xeon Platinum 8180 "Skylake-SP" processor in this demo. The Xeon Platinum 8180 "Skylake-SP" is a $10,000 processor with a 205W rated TDP at its nominal clock speed of 2.50 GHz, with a Turbo Boost frequency of 3.80 GHz. The company achieved a 100% overclock to 5.00 GHz, using extreme cooling, and considering that TDP is calculated taking into account a processor's nominal clock (a clock speed that all cores are guaranteed to run at simultaneously), the company could have easily crossed 350W to 400W TDP stabilizing the 5.00 GHz overclock. If a 205W TDP figures in the same sentence as 2.50 GHz nominal clocks, it doesn't bode well for the final product. It will either have a very high TDP (higher still taking into account its unlocked multiplier), or clock speeds that aren't much higher than the Xeon Platinum 8180.
A lot of assumptions here. I'd ask you if you have any idea what the power draw for 5 GHZ ThreadRipper 1950X is, I can tell you it's the other side of 500W. Power draw as you know very well isn't linear and that relationship between performance and power isn't linear either as we see with Ryzen 7 2nd gen for example (165W~ package power @ 4.2GHz 1.3v).
As for the clock speeds it'll have, basing it on the Xeon Platinum 8180 is premature, as #1 you're assuming there's no process tweaking between now and when this product hits market. #2 There are key differences between the Xeon part and the HEDT part, which allows INTEL to switch off parts of the die that are not needed (like data links for 2/4-way MP systems) which in turn frees up headroom both in terms of power and clock frequencies. You, much like I or anyone else can't know what these differences are and as such it is imperative to pose more questions, rather than make blanket statements.

AMD's offering could be cheaper and more efficient, besides being fast. An overall superior halo product almost always has a spillover PR to cheaper client-segment products across platforms; and the client GPU industry has demonstrated that for the past two decades.
That may be true, but AMD has yet to produce the superior* product to INTEL's offerings with any Zen based solution for the desktop which could have the aforementioned Halo effect.
Moreover, what does superior mean? Does that mean cheaper, lower power consumption perhaps, better performance or is it a combination? Exactly what is superior because for instance, INTEL still has the performance lead in some application types and Zen+ doesn't change that. In the editorials on this very website, 8700K is still faster in games than Ryzen 7 2700X for instance. AVX is still significantly slower on Summit and Pinnacle Ridge than on CFL. So perhaps it's important to flash out what we mean when we say superior. Zen/Zen+ could very well be superior for sure, but what does that mean exactly and where?

AMD is already selling 16 cores at $999, and beating Intel's $999 10-core i9-7900X in a variety of HEDT-relevant tasks. The company has already demonstrated that its 24-core Threadripper II is faster than Intel's $1,999 18-core i9-7980XE. It would surprise us if AMD prices this 24-core part double that of its 16-core part, and so it's more likely to end up cheaper than the i9-7980XE.
Totally! There's just no beating the TR offerings in price vs performance where productivity applications that scale with core or rather thread count are concerned. I can't know AMD's pricing so I won't speculate on it, but based on previous SKUs as you alluded too - 24-Core TR4 could very well cost less than 7980XE or at the very least the same price, especially if as shown at the Computex - it nails the 7980XE in Blender and such applications.

Intel cannot beat the 32-core Threadripper II on the X299/LGA2066 platform, because it has maxed out the number of cores the platform can pull. The Skylake HCC (high core count) silicon, deployed on 12-core, 14-core, 16-core, and 18-core LGA2066 processors, is already motherboard designers' nightmare, many of whom have launched special "XE" variants of their top motherboard models that offer acceptable overclocking headroom on these chips, thanks to beefed up VRM.
Ok so this is where you may be getting it wrong. The issue with the 18 core 7980XE was not the VRM on any motherboard, but the VRM COOLING and this is an important distinction. ASRock XE variants of their X299 boards have the same VRM as the regular version, but what's been changed is the VRM Cooling solution. Most of them simply adding more surface area to the heatsink, hence dissipating more heat and allowing the VRM temp to fall back to optimal operating temps - maintaining performance. Even on the GIGABYTE SOC Champion X299, yes it was never a retail board, but it exemplifies this. To overclock on this board using the 7980XE, one needs to actively cool the VRM and for extreme overclocking, you need to have a container for the VRM and cool it with LN2. The VRM can tolerate the power draw, but it's the cooling solution that cannot.
7980XE was not a motherboard designers nightmare (BTW, there are teams within motherboard vendors, it's not a single monolith. There's a Thermal solutions team separate from there's a BIOS Team etc.), the VRM on these boards could always handle the loads. It is the Thermal Design teams which created cooling solutions which could not adequately dissipate heat from the VRM.

Coming up with a newer platform, namely revising the Purley 1P enterprise platform for the client-segment, with its large LGA3647 socket and 6-channel memory interface, is the only direction in which Intel could have gone to take on the new wave of Threadrippers. AMD, on the other hand, has confirmed that its 24-core and 32-core Threadripper II chips are compatible with current socket TR4 motherboards based on the AMD X399 chipset. It's possible that the next wave of TR4 motherboards could have 8-channel memory interface, wider than that of Intel's Skylake XCC silicon, and both forwards and backwards compatibility with current-generation Threadripper SKUs (at half the memory bus width) and future Threadripper chips.
Ok so we have to use caution here as assumption or speculation can lead are off the path as it has here.
HEDT platforms were always derived from the server parts, that holds true for AMD and INTEL. AMD pushed out Zen on their one and only Zen supporting platform a year ahead of the desktop parts. A the time it was a fully realized configuration (32 cores/128 pcie lanes and 8 channels). They literally used that very platform and socket for ThreadRipper, but gutted it where they deemed it necessary (half the memory channels, half the PCI-Express lanes etc ). This has everything to do with cost and nothing to do with being nice or being thoughtful to the end user. It's literally cheaper for AMD to support fewer sockets of which is just 2 for Zen.

So when you say or suggest rather, than this is panic from INTEL (as per editorial title) and this is the only direction INTEL could have taken (this last part which is true mind you) - Careful to not make it seem as if it's ever been any different. It's always been the case that both INTEL and AMD adapt server parts for their HEDT or high end platforms. The decision to use such a socket and configuration by INTEL has nothing to do with AMD. The reason they didn't use FCLGA2066 was literally because that pin socket was/is confined to 1S configurations and 18 cores. These CPUs don't have any UPI or QPI or additional memory channel links. That they used a different socket is only natural as that's the only other avenue there is for core scalability. Intel segmenting their sockets in this manner and adapting them accordingly pre-dates AMD's Zen by years. Look back at LGA1567/1366/1156 from 2010 (Three sockets back in 2010, much like it is today with Three sockets 1151/2066/3647)

AMD's forward compatibility, has nothing to do with anything buy cost considerations for them, not the user. The SP3r2 socket is massive with over 4,000 contacts or pins. Exactly like SP3 for EPYC which also has an identical pin number of 4094, it's their LGA3647 equivalent.

AMD has two sockets for cost purposes, INTEL has always had three (at least for the past 9 years, just like AMD in 2010 had AM3, C32 & G34, segmented and separated by core count, dram channels, interconnects etc ). It would be odd to suggest that INTEL is panicking using the socket argument as they react to their one and only competitor in the space - levering the same socket segmentation they have had for nearly a decade maybe more. Developing a CPU takes time, about 5 years supposedly from paper to product. I'd be interested to know outside of levering existing technology, what INTEL or any other company for that matter in this position could have done that would not be viewed as "panic". That is, What does a rational reaction to you look like in a material way (socket choice, platform etc.) for INTEL, barring the 5GHz carfuffle?

I am not defending the 5GHz snafu as it wasn't necessary, proved nothing and created unnecessary controversy. The power of the CPU could have easily been demoed using the CPU at a more realistic clock speed (It would still likely be faster in CBR15 than anything else we have or will have for 2018) .

D

Deleted member 67555

Ok...
A CPU and GPU costs $1000 combined if you want something decent...That has to be the upper limit...
A decent PC is almost pure sticker shock these days...
Intel needs to do what they did in the 775 days...keep a friggin socket for more than 1-2 gen.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Jeez, what kinda monster PSU is that?! :eek: 3300W is more than you can pull from the wall here in the UK with its 240V mains, let alone the USA with its 120V mains.

Our main is 240 at the busbar, in home it is 110-240 depending on circuit used

Ok...
A CPU and GPU costs $1000 combined if you want something decent...That has to be the upper limit...
A decent PC is almost pure sticker shock these days...
Intel needs to do what they did in the 775 days...keep a friggin socket for more than 1-2 gen.

But they won't, looking at core i

D

Deleted member 67555

But they won't, looking at core i
I know right...
I'm on my 4th "core I" version and I only switched back from AMD briefly in 2014...then went AMD briefly last year and back to Intel....4 years 4 platforms...2 ddr3, 2ddr4
But then again AMD had AM3+, FM1, FM2/+ at the same time so technically It's the same...I've had 4 AMD platforms and 4 Intel platforms since 2010ish

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah if you wanted the latest cpu after a year or 2 you were required to change boards for intel.

What lies, they just forgot! The excitement of the moment, etc. Anyone can make an honest mistake! (BTW, blue oval typically refers to Ford Motor Company, not Intel). Being dishonest is shameful, a shame shared by every person, corporation, and organization in the world. Why should Intel be different?

Intel uses it too, so both ford and intel circled their own problem

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What's the max current supply at 240V? It will have to be above 13A for this to work.

I'm surprised that PSU socket and cable is enough for it, too. We must be talking around 15A at 240V here

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
It was advertised as 5ghz multiple times and billed to be a real consumer part. It was pure lies over incoming TR destruction.

This is actually the truth. How low are you when a parody is more accurate than your demonstration?
that vid is hilarious, and accurate! lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I would not be so sure about that. Most businesses do not even consider AMD as an option.
Sorry, missed your post before.

Alas it's true that Intel is the only game in town for many businesses, but it's not an impossible perception to change if AMD consistently outperform, plus undercut Intel on price, even by a bit. Over time they will gain sales. Difficult to do though and Intel won't sit still for it of course. :ohwell:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
What's the max current supply at 240V? It will have to be above 13A for this to work.

I'm surprised that PSU socket and cable is enough for it, too. We must be talking around 15A at 240V here

Yes standard circuits are about 15 amps

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yes standard circuits are about 15 amps
Ok, then it's certainly possible. I just had a close look at that video and noticed how skinny that mains cable is. Seems too thin to me to safely support that much current. I'll be it was running hot.

I can just imagine his electricity bill. :laugh:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok, then it's certainly possible. I just had a close look at that video and noticed how skinny that mains cable is. Seems too thin to me to safely support that much current. I'll be it was running hot.

Probably is, my seasonic came with a heavier cable

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
It's hard to make a more obvious example of fanboyism; when AMD does something, they're heroes. When Intel does something comparable, they are obviously out to sabotage AMD. AMD's 32-core is no more "real" than Intel's 28 core.

Intel had two motherboard vendors design motherboards for their demo, so this was obviously planned long ahead.

We heard similar outrage when Intel launched Coffee Lake, which many fanboys claims was released to steal the attention of Ryzen. These fanboys needs to get out of their basement and meet the real world.

-----

Meanwhile, there are actual interesting information we could be discussing instead, like:
Intel Website shows multiple packages and internal code names, including Cascade Lake, Ice Lake, Whiskey Lake, and a new Advanced Package?

what ? are you telling me if Tim and btarunr made an articles based on real facts is a kind of fanboism too ?

grow up mate, non of fanboism talk here..

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes I did see the hardware, but while it was onstage, it would have been difficult enough to spot that insulation and that pack of cables, that Intel could have banked on people in the audience assuming an open loop. This would have been further planted in peoples minds by the fact the system DID have open loop hardware clearly visible, such as the tube res.

I've said all along - Intel did not have to fool everyone forever here. They only needed to generate a single days headlines, safe in the knowledge that later clarification would not reach NEARLY the same number of eyes and ears as the original, misleading information. For that, a chiller sufficed as subtle "enough", an LN2 pot would have given the game away immediately.

It had a huge refrigeration unit sitting next to it. How is that any less conspicuous than an LN2 pot?!

It had a huge refrigeration unit sitting next to it. How is that any less conspicuous than an LN2 pot?!
Someone didn't actually watch the fucking press conference.

Skip to 57 minutes and 22 seconds.

As you can see, the entire damn desk is wheeled onto stage, nothing is visible except the two towers on top of it, and there's no projected image of the system itself.

The only information anyone in that room got about that system's cooling unit, was what they were able to see from their seats, many feet away. They'd have plausibly been able to see the illuminated reservoir, and the RGB RAM, but not a whole lot else about the system. They absolutely would NOT have been able to see the "huge refrigeration unit sitting next to it" because it was underneath the damned desk and nobody saw it until:

1 - Someone got suspicious about that big ol' weird mess of cables coming out the back
2 - Someone tracked the thing down on the computex floor and got pictures of the chiller.

Also note the wording from the transcript:

"Sometimes this benchmark takes minutes to run, but you can see when we have 28 cores running at 5GHz, you'll fly through it, now look at that number, 7334 that is an incredible number. If you look that up tonight you'll see that, it's not the fastest in the world, there are a few that are faster, but they all require 2 or 4 sockets to get what this single socket system can do with 28 cores at 5 GHz."
"Now what's amazing is there's that tradeoff, this actually gives you 5GHz, you can get single-threaded performance frequency, not, you know, not having to sacrifice that for this kind of multithreaded performance, so you got kinda the best of both worlds"

That second sentence with the "not having to sacrifice" and "you got the best of both worlds" ? That's not the kind of thing you say when demonstrating a system you know is massively overclocked. That's the kind of language someone uses when they're trying to justify an actual, achievable, regular use case to a potential customer or consumer.

Intel absolutely, 100% in my opinion, knew exactly what they were doing here and it was NOT "forgetting" to mention an overclock. It was intentionally hiding that fact to try and, as I've said, bank on the press repeating it, and making an excuse later to explain it away to the comparitively small number of more savvy folk that care to dig deeper and find out it's bullshit.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Someone didn't actually watch the fucking press conference.

Skip to 57 minutes and 22 seconds.

As you can see, the entire damn desk is wheeled onto stage, nothing is visible except the two towers on top of it, and there's no projected image of the system itself.

The only information anyone in that room got about that system's cooling unit, was what they were able to see from their seats, many feet away. They'd have plausibly been able to see the illuminated reservoir, and the RGB RAM, but not a whole lot else about the system. They absolutely would NOT have been able to see the "huge refrigeration unit sitting next to it" because it was underneath the damned desk and nobody saw it until:

1 - Someone got suspicious about that big ol' weird mess of cables coming out the back
2 - Someone tracked the thing down on the computex floor and got pictures of the chiller.

Also note the wording from the transcript:

"Sometimes this benchmark takes minutes to run, but you can see when we have 28 cores running at 5GHz, you'll fly through it, now look at that number, 7334 that is an incredible number. If you look that up tonight you'll see that, it's not the fastest in the world, there are a few that are faster, but they all require 2 or 4 sockets to get what this single socket system can do with 28 cores at 5 GHz."
"Now what's amazing is there's that tradeoff, this actually gives you 5GHz, you can get single-threaded performance frequency, not, you know, not having to sacrifice that for this kind of multithreaded performance, so you got kinda the best of both worlds"

That second sentence with the "not having to sacrifice" and "you got the best of both worlds" ? That's not the kind of thing you say when demonstrating a system you know is massively overclocked. That's the kind of language someone uses when they're trying to justify an actual, achievable, regular use case to a potential customer or consumer.

Intel absolutely, 100% in my opinion, knew exactly what they were doing here and it was NOT "forgetting" to mention an overclock. It was intentionally hiding that fact to try and, as I've said, bank on the press repeating it, and making an excuse later to explain it away to the comparitively small number of more savvy folk that care to dig deeper and find out it's bullshit.

You are right, the refrigeration unit is hidden during the demo, but it doesn't look like a closed or open loop cooler either. The massive insulated hoses coming out of the case gives it right away. We wouldn't have this thread if they didn't tip people off to something fishy.;)

I'm not defending Intel, like I already said, if they are going to demo a product they have just premiered in the same presentation, they should demo it as it will ship. They should tweak it and overclock it.

However, there are certainly enough clues that there was something fishy going on.

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Its a mining PSU, Doesn't everyone have one?

Totally

Probably is, my seasonic came with a heavier cable
I think they used a unit just like this to power the DeLorean.

1076417-picture_5.png

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I think they used a unit just like this to power the DeLorean.
hmmm, I dunno, it looks kinda flashy so they might have needed two. :p

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
You are right, the refrigeration unit is hidden during the demo, but it doesn't look like a closed or open loop cooler either. The massive insulated hoses coming out of the case gives it right away. We wouldn't have this thread if they didn't tip people off to something fishy.;)

I'm not defending Intel, like I already said, if they are going to demo a product they have just premiered in the same presentation, they should demo it as it will ship. They should tweak it and overclock it.

However, there are certainly enough clues that there was something fishy going on.

There were SOME clues, but as a journalist with a tech site to run, you've just been present at Intel's announcement of a jump from 18 core to 28 core and they SHOWED you the part running at 5GHz. You saw some weirdness but the story you need to write seems pretty clear.

Are you going to:

1 - Get super suspicious and potentially tank your site's traffic for the story by not publishing it until you get more info by tracking down the system on the show floor and inspecting it, thus missing your window for clicks and traffic when the story breaks on every other site online while you wait

or are you

2 - Just going to publish the story and start asking your questions while it rakes in pageviews and ad revenue that allows your job to exist?

Kind of sounds like a threat/blackmail here if you ask me.
No, its just the reality of tech journalism - you need to publish news first, if you want to get all the clicks that come with being the only source for a story. ( dorbak

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
There were SOME clues, but as a journalist with a tech site to run, you've just been present at Intel's announcement of a jump from 18 core to 28 core and they SHOWED you the part running at 5GHz. You saw some weirdness but the story you need to write seems pretty clear.

Are you going to:

1 - Get super suspicious and potentially tank your site's traffic for the story by not publishing it until you get more info by tracking down the system on the show floor and inspecting it, thus missing your window for clicks and traffic when the story breaks on every other site online while you wait

or are you

2 - Just going to publish the story and start asking your questions while it rakes in pageviews and ad revenue that allows your job to exist?

No, its just the reality of tech journalism - you need to publish news first, if you want to get all the clicks that come with being the only source for a story. ( dorbak

Well then its. Fake story/lie of intel. Clickbait.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I am not defending the 5GHz snafu as it wasn't necessary, proved nothing and created unnecessary controversy.
The unnecessary controversy was the whole reason for the demo. It was purposely staged to be outrageous and over-the-top, with insane clock speeds and 2000 watt cooling, for that reason. It like they're saying, "Moar cores is stupid on HEDT, it's still IPC and clock speed that matters for home users, and that's where we shine"