• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer getting gamers into cryptomining

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Razer is introducing their plan, Razer Softminer, as they team up with Gamma to allow your computer to mine for cryptocurrency when it is sitting idle.

Razer had just removed pretty much any way to earn their zSilver coins - you used to earn them just by gaming, as long as you had Razer Cortex running and you could also earn a small amount from logging into Cortex everyday. The earn while you game was pulled a while back and the free zSilver for logging into Coretx was axed at the end of November 2018. Razer has been saying they've bee looking for a way to allow people to earn zSilver since they pulled the play to earn feature and most likely this will be their new way to earn.

Shortly after the play to earn was removed, Razer launched their digital store and you can earn zSilver for every dollar you spend. Stack up enough zSilver and you can use it to purchase prizes that range from digital gift cards, discounts at the online Razer store, games to Razer products. Now, it seems that Razer is also including the ability to earn rewards which will most likely include zSilver - though I haven't been able to find any specifics on exactly what they mean by "rewards".

I tried to read up more on their Softminer, but even Razer doesn't have any kind of Terms for their software on their website yet. When I click on their link for the Softminer EULA, I'm directed to a 404 page:
Capture.PNG

So, anyone thinking about letting Razer softminer utilize their computer when it's sitting idle?

I think I'll avoid this like the plague. I don't need my computer mindlessly mining for crypto while I slowly build up some "rewards" that will probably only be redeemable on Razer websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
Awesom, another way to increase power consumtion on a pc, for very little benefits to the end user.

As with asus (?) Who wants to use GPUs, at much higher power levels, to do something similar. Guess all that noise of not covering rmas on mining cards was just a snap decision by some suit that has no clue as to how miners treat cards (generally undervolted and with excellant cooling compared to gamer rigs). Just greed and corporate incompitence at work, as usual.

Razor and asus are now off my list. I will mine under my own terms.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@verycharbroiled nobody is forcing you to mine in any kind of way. You can use ASUS cards and mine however you wish. You don't have to go through their program.

Anyway, mining... rewards points? seems like a giant scam. Razer gets cryptocurrency, you get rewards points redeemable in the form of a keychain or something. And only from Razer. :/ I'm surprised anyone bothers though given the currently abysmal state of crypto... maybe they're hoping to hold and it shoots up again?

System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
nobody is forcing you to mine in any kind of way. You can use ASUS cards and mine however you wish. You don't have to go through their program.

Sure crypto miners will opt out, or set up the asus cards manually. But noobs with no clue may have no idea of the power usage, and I'm sure default pools give a big edge to asus. But i may be wrong on that.

All most noobs will see is "free stuff" ignoring power cost.

@Wizard I have seen tons of this news in many threads, hard to keep up. Sorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.