• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Faces New Class Action Lawsuit Over Cryptocurrency-related GPU Demand Drop

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Figured most your points use a similar logic. Thanks for this insightful discussion.
To be fair, I haven't seen you show any data, either. Please submit your pie chart detailing damages done to the market by small time miners with "4" cards (I only bought two myself) against damages done by huge farms taking cards by the pallet or worse (anyone remember that article about somebody taking cargo planes full of cards?). Until then, you just salty bruh.

As for the actual topic at hand, that is, nVidia being sued for a drop in stock... I mean, I've shit on nVidia quite a few times on the forums for this and that, but this, I think is a bit ridiculous. I would hope that nobody with half a mind was actually relying on that bubble. I went and got two cards, on credit even, when mining profits were really good... but I knew full well it could implode on itself at any time. You've gotta be something special to get all up in arms when your risky investment blows up all over the launch pad. Surely the guys responsible for moving that kind of money knew this was possible... right? I would be inclined to believe nVidia's stock tanked because there was a boom in demand, from miners, and that demand dropped just like the crypto market dropped. That isn't nVidia's fault. Everyone was pissed at them before when they couldn't keep anything in stock, and now investors are pissed because the stock has dropped. nVidia can't win for nothing right now.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
To be fair, I haven't seen you show any data, either. Please submit your pie chart detailing damages done to the market by small time miners with "4" cards (I only bought two myself) against damages done by huge farms taking cards by the pallet or worse (anyone remember that article about somebody taking cargo planes full of cards?). Until then, you just salty bruh.

As for the actual topic at hand, that is, nVidia being sued for a drop in stock... I mean, I've shit on nVidia quite a few times on the forums for this and that, but this, I think is a bit ridiculous. I would hope that nobody with half a mind was actually relying on that bubble. I went and got two cards, on credit even, when mining profits were really good... but I knew full well it could implode on itself at any time. You've gotta be something special to get all up in arms when your risky investment blows up all over the launch pad. Surely the guys responsible for moving that kind of money knew this was possible... right? I would be inclined to believe nVidia's stock tanked because there was a boom in demand, from miners, and that demand dropped just like the crypto market dropped. That isn't nVidia's fault. Everyone was pissed at them before when they couldn't keep anything in stock, and now investors are pissed because the stock has dropped. nVidia can't win for nothing right now.
There’s practically a lawyer on every street corner and a fool ready to hire him close behind. Getting sued on the regular is just the life of a multi-billion dollar company.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I had over a hundred cards and processed probably close to a thousand. Did I hurt nvidias ability sell product, what about amd? I feel like I assisted their bottom line some, not as much as many, but more than others.

I fail to see how an increase of sales with no additional R&D required "hurt" anyone. If it did why did amd see an upturn in stock and nvidia a down? Amd was credited by many with only being good for mining, so when that market tanked if the argument is mining hurt they should have gone out of business.

Nvidia entered the game late. They offered a product that worked well, but hit well after the bubble. That's on them, that's not minings fault.

I had over a hundred cards and processed probably close to a thousand. Did I hurt nvidias ability sell product, what about amd? I feel like I assisted their bottom line some, not as much as many, but more than others.

I fail to see how an increase of sales with no additional R&D required "hurt" anyone. If it did why did amd see an upturn in stock and nvidia a down? Amd was credited by many with only being good for mining, so when that market tanked if the argument is mining hurt they should have gone out of business.

Nvidia entered the game late. They offered a product that worked well, but hit well after the bubble. That's on them, that's not minings fault.

It also didn't help that TSMC and Samsung started turning out Crypto ASICs at the beginning of the year and Nvidia wasnt cautious about those impacts. We saw reports of AIB returning 300,000 cards before H2 but Nvidia reiterated no inventory issues and the channel was solid to their investors.

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
A bit off topic, but how do those crypto ASICs work? I thought script coins were specifically designed to be impractical to make ASICs for.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
We saw reports of AIB returning 300,000 cards before H2 but Nvidia reiterated no inventory issues and the channel was solid to their investors.

What I really don't understand is how all those cards were sold at practically MSRP from 2 years ago since people couldn't afford Touring and they STILL have this problem.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
imo if Nvidia was smart, they would launch a 1160 -no Ray tracing model) - have it slightly beat a gtx 1070 in performance (match 1070 ti once OC'd since that is a niche audience anyway, and price it at $249 shipped for the FE, a single model of 6gb GDDR6 - and $229 for non FE models, - no other models, no confusion.

it would gain them immense amount of market share and AMD is so slow to the punchline, even when AMD does arrive the 1160 prob still beats it, but this isn't about profit - this is about taking that 70-80% market share they have and turning it into 90% that secures their future. -I am an aggressive little beast though, so I am glad Nvidia is greedy and not doing this, because AMD 7nm gpu will come out swinging, and I fully expect Nvidia to lose market share, which is going to be good for everyone, just as with Intel losing market share - comeptition is key to everything

Haters gonna hate but Nvidia is the most innovative company on the planet.

[Citation Needed]
To know that nvidia has won too much from the cryptocurrency thing these 2 graphs alone are enough.

Attachments

• IMG-20190102-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20190102-WA0008.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG-20190102-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20190102-WA0007.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 152

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
not sure what your point is, they were too cautious and then too aggressive, still doesn't change my point at all in that most companies go slow and steady, not go, oh hey we are out of stock, go to max production, most companies go - hey we are out of stock, lets increase production 60% the first 3 months and re-evaluate. - no this is very clear, Nvidia got greedy and wanted to cash in on the crpyto boom, they went to 130% production levels paying workers overtime to keep the factories churning non-stop.
Of course this is very clear. To you. It's not clear at all for me.

I wouldn't say that. But they do have stuff AMD hasn't caught up in 5 years (TBR).

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
My heart bleeds for nGreedia, but to be honest, this lawsuit is utterly ridiculous. I thought that a lawsuit involving accusations of price gouging, market manipulation etc would have held maybe a little more water...

However, nGreedia inflating their prices and profit margins must go a long way into helping Jensen sleep in a new shiny leather jacket every night, so he surely doesn't care.

Hi Taylor! And, erm, what?

Or maybe it is AMD being bad? ATI always had answeres to nvidia. Before AMD bought it and later when Lisa Su took over
Yeah, AMD lost it under Raja. He focussed on things that were not important to AMD's customers at the time.

I certainly miss the days of an eight or twelve legged horse race. This one horse business is just awful. I doubt it will ever be better, even with Raja's continuing BS-flavoured hype being shouted from Intel.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Or maybe it is AMD being bad? ATI always had answeres to nvidia. Before AMD bought it and later when Lisa Su took over
I think it’s a tougher situation that that. If being a top flight GPU maker was easy, then we’d have more than 2 serious players in this space. Even with its vast resources, top level engineers, and fabrication expertise, Intel hasn’t even managed to crack this market, despite talks of doing so for many years. Nvidia bought up some key assets in the last 20 years. Even if some of the IP Nvidia owns isn’t the future, they still get to ride the wave until the next thing arrives. Working closely with developers is another tactic that helps their brand. People can criticize AMD all they want, but in the last 20 years, no one else has even come as close to competing with Intel and Nvidia in the ultra-high-performance space. AMDs failures get magnified, even though no one else is stepping up.

Things look a little different in mobile, but we’re seeing the same thing play out where the big IP holders have a significant advantage. What remains to be seen is what Apple plans to do with their own architecture.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Well, AMD was in a hole for quite sometime and they're slowly digging themselves out. They're doing their best. Of course, their best is limited to rehashing GCN for 8 years now (which is what makes Nvidia look even better) and with so many high profile staff jumping ship to Intel, it's interesting to see what the video card market has in store for us.

Anyway, in short, I don't think Nvidia is the most company under the Sun, but they did benefit from the lull in AMD's business.

D

Deleted member 177333

Good. Glad to see them getting pounded. Their greedy business practices are over the top. I'm sure the severe stock drops aren't all because of Turing, but as a heavy pc gamer, that's my main beef with NVidia right now, and I'm glad to see them suffer for it.

So... when do we enter the stage when the company profiteering from 'hype' is blamed for being publicly traded? Is Nvidia going to go 'private'(pun intended)?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
To know that nvidia has won too much from the cryptocurrency thing these 2 graphs alone are enough.

No, they aren't.

So they failed with the new generation, and similarly to AMD, they did nothing against retailer's price increase of their last gen GPUs and are now desperately trying to get to court with that... Funny.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
So they failed with the new generation,
Clearly. Just look at all those cards collecting dust on retailers' shelves. Oh, wait...
and similarly to AMD, they did nothing against retailer's price increase of their last gen GPUs and are now desperately trying to get to court with that... Funny.
What could anyone do about that? There was a surge in demand which production couldn't promptly fill. How does that work in any free market?

System Name Ryzen 5800X-PC / RyzenITX (2nd system 5800X stock)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (atx) / 5800X itx (soon one pc getting 5800X3D upgrade! ;)
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER (ATX) / X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi (ITX)
Cooling AMD Wrath Prism Cooler / Alphenhone Blackridge (ITX)
Memory OLOY 4000Mhz 16GB x 2 (32GB) DDR4 4000 Mhz CL18, (22,22,22,42) 1.40v AT & ITX PC's (2000 Fclk)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (ATX) /// AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 (ITX)
Storage (Sys)Sammy 970EVO 500GB & SabrentRocket 4.0+ 2TB (ATX) | SabrentRocket4.0+ 1TB NVMe (ITX)
Display(s) 30" Ultra-Wide 21:9 200Hz/AMD FREESYNC 200hz/144hz LED LCD Montior Connected Via Display Port (x2)
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (ATX) / Velkase Velka 7 (ITX)
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD ALC1220 codec / Onboard HD Audio* (BOTH) w/ EQ settings
Power Supply 850w (Antec High-Current Gamer) HC-850 PSU (80+ gold certified) ATX) /650Watt Thermaltake SFX (ITX)
Mouse Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
Keyboard Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 - 128GB - Standalone + Oculus link PC
Software Windows 10 Home x64bit 2400 /BOTH SYSTEMS
Benchmark Scores CPUZ - ATX-5800X (ST:670) - (MT: 6836.3 ) CPUZ - ITX -5800X (ST:680.2) - (MT: 7015.2) ??? same CPU?
This is why companies scale production cautiously, not at full blast, especially for something based on a volatile currency. it is Nvidia's fault for going all in and ramping 10 series production to max levels trying to cash in on the boom. - slow and steady is the name of the game for a long term successful company, Nvidias reputation is damaged in the wall street circles now

lol.. GOOD they deserve it

LMMFAO!!!

Good. Glad to see them getting pounded. Their greedy business practices are over the top. I'm sure the severe stock drops aren't all because of Turing, but as a heavy pc gamer, that's my main beef with NVidia right now, and I'm glad to see them suffer for it.

LMMFAO, & ROFD

me too, the (evga gtx 1080 hybrid gaming 8gb) i bought from newegg new in 2016/2017, 6-7 months after release ($549.99 ON NEWEGG SHELL SHOCKER DEAL BACK THEN) but now,...

my same evga gtx 1080 GPU BUT. (non hybrid version with same blower style cooler) not a hybrid gaming 8gb, .... :(
but still same gpu "gtx 1080" costs $200-$300 more than what i paid A year or two ago, at like $850-$900 wtf nvidia????

and it wasnt even the same evga hybrid 8gb i had, it was an evga air cooled gtx 1080 8gb with slower base and boost clocks 1600 to 1733 or something, my hybrid clocks up to 2012mhz on its own, no overclocking at all, $549.99 on newegg e-mail blast or shell shocker deal, now i can only get an evga 1080 thats got the same blower cooler reference style as my evga 1080 hybrid but without the hybrid water cooling and a steeper price of 899.. its like WTF???? the mining crsze is OVER NVIDIA, LOWER UR FUCKING PRICES ALREADY FUCK ME, OR NO, YOu GO FUCK YOUR SELF HUNG SANG Piece of shit

im done with radeon & grforce, ill see what intel does, tho may suck too, amd needs to get their head out of their asses

Wonder what Jim Cramer is saying now about Nvidia because he couldn't stop praising them not to long ago, but I bet he's dumped it already and talking smack about it now. He didn't like AMD and now is probably praising it to high heaven. These stock analysts are punks that love to create pump and dump investment opportunities and devalue stocks in order to buy in low.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@Adam Krazispeed So, you don't like nVidia (or at least, their prices). That's why you don't buy nVidia, and you buy AMD instead... but apparently you don't like AMD either... so, you must either choose one, or none at all. :)

Anyways, high prices is one thing, but getting sued by investors cause everyone bet the farm on a very wobbly crypto bubble is another.