• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soldering Guide Help

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Here is a Pretty Good Video for soldering technique for THT and SMD.

Disclaimer:
This is a guide and you are the person responsible for any improper soldering/damage, not anyone else.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Thanks. Anyone that doesnt do a lot of soldering should watch it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
It is not a good video. It is not done like that anymore... like student level. You need a preheater under and sum up the energy in order not to damage the part an PCB, often you will not be able to heat up the part off the multi layer PCB due to thick copper layer, you will burn the upper PCB black but the solder will not melt. Especially like for ones that knocked a cap off the PCB.

SMD parts are put on using air gun and prehater... that's the most harmless way for the part and PCB. Soldering gun more for robust through hole devices. They have longer legs and don't heat up the semiconductor core damaging it.

With method like soldering all the pins together in many cases PCB traces will pop off and permanently damage the board. Plain isopropanol cannot be used for cleaning semiconductors as it was held in aluminum barrels thus it has metal ions, as a result the MCU will soak it and start to hang up often. Those things are bitten through like 20 years ago.

Also guys and galls... doing much SMD soldering without a microscope or at least some magnifying glass will instantly put you on prescription glasses queue.

Last edited:
It is not a good video. It is not done like that anymore... like student level. You need a preheater under and sum up the energy in order not to damage the part an PCB, often you will not be able to heat up the part off the multi layer PCB due to thick copper layer, you will burn the upper PCB black but the solder will not melt. Especially like for ones that knocked a cap off the PCB.

SMD parts are put on using air gun and prehater... that's the most harmless way for the part and PCB. Soldering gun more for robust through hole devices. They have longer legs and don't heat up the semiconductor core damaging it.

With method like soldering all the pins together in many cases PCB traces will pop off and permanently damage the board. Plain isopropanol cannot be used for cleaning semiconductors as it was held in aluminum barrels thus it has metal ions, as a result the MCU will soak it and start to hang up often. Those things are bitten through like 20 years ago.

Also guys and galls... doing much SMD soldering without a microscope or at least some magnifying glass will instantly put you on prescription glasses queue.

Spot on what you are saying, iv been soldering most of my life & I have not stopped to this very day. When dealing with SMD components you have to shield sensitive components otherwise it could get damaged.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is not a good video. It is not done like that anymore... like student level.
I disagree and believe it is a good video - especially for small shops and the home enthusiasts. As for the student level comment, well, I feel that is just nonsense, if not offensive. That video was not geared to a professional tech who assembles and populates and/or repairs PCBs all day long for a living.

When dealing with SMD components you have the shield sensitive components otherwise it could get damaged.
:( So because the 11 minute video did not address shielding nearby components, it is bad video?

When I used to maintain USAF air traffic control radio communications systems, me and another tech were fortunate enough to be sent to a PACE Training Center to learn "Micro Miniature Soldering Techniques" using a PACE soldering station. This was a 60 hour course! Many of the techniques shown in that video were exactly what we were taught in that 60 hour course. No way everything we learned could be jammed into a tiny 11 minute video.

Anyone that doesnt do a lot of soldering should watch it.
That soldering techniques course I took probably consisted of about ~16 hours of actual classroom instruction on the various soldering techniques, temperature requirements, heat sinking and shielding, types of solder, etc. The remaining hours were spent practicing, practicing and then practicing some more - before assembling our final project for critical analysis, operation and certification.

And for the record, speed was one of the criteria used during the certification process - and that was NOT for increased productivity. It was because lingering around for too long while applying heat can damage surrounding components. My point being, with practice, shielding is not needed except for very densely populated boards - which were NOT used in that very fine video.

So for anyone who wishes to do his or her own soldering, I recommend get some old circuit boards and practice your soldering, desoldering, mounting and unmounting techniques before working on the final product. And this practice recommendation applies to experienced experts too. Soldering is a skill that must be hone and maintained.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Moved thread to Cases, Modding, & Electronics. Unstuck old solder guide with dead image links, moved this into its place.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
@Bill_Bright

Because of such low quality videos people damage their equipment while attempting to do repairs. Got their warranties rejected, money and time lost.

This video is student level. It will matter for those who attempt to make some diy piece of tech. Trial and error, a bit like this is lowest level and expired.

Doing repairs, like knocked off cap? They will damage the board and part. It must be used with caution.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
@Bill_Bright

Because of such low quality videos people damage their equipment while attempting to do repairs. Got their warranties rejected, money and time lost.

This video is student level. It will matter for those who attempt to make some diy piece of tech. Trial and error, bit this is lowest level and expired.

Doing repairs, like knocked off cap? They will damage the board and part. It must be used with caution.

I would then say, stop arguing with Bill, find us a better video, or make a tutorial of your own.
Many who would attempt such things and need help, need rudimentary steps to get the hang of things, and will evolve as bill stated. Also with that group are those that are likely out of warranty either by time or the fact they physically broke the bit they are repairing.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
I would then say, stop arguing with Bill, find us a better video, or make a tutorial of your own.
Many who would attempt such things and need help, need rudimentary steps to get the hang of things, and will evolve as bill stated. Also with that group are those that are likely out of warranty either by time or the fact they physically broke the bit they are repairing.

I would say - ask for professional help.

You don't do fix your toothache by itself too? Or still a dentist is an option? Prolly you can find videos also for that.

Such things cause more harm than good when given to masses. That is my point.

Father asks his son, why on earth you did broke the board? But daddy I saw it on TPU, they said it is okay.... sigh...

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I would say - ask for professional help.

You don't do fix your toothache by itself too? Or still a dentist is an option? Prolly you can find videos also for that.

Father asks his son, why on earth you did broke the board? But daddy I saw it on TPU, they said it is okay.... sigh...

You are taking this way too far. Users are trying to help others here, it is as simple as that. At this point, it seems you just came in to argue with off tangent comments. I assume you spend all day on YouTube commenting on all the videos that could potentially cause harm too?

I disagree and believe it is a good video - especially for small shops and the home enthusiasts. As for the student level comment, well, I feel that is just nonsense, if not offensive. That video was not geared to a professional tech who assembles and populates and/or repairs PCBs all day long for a living.

:( So because the 11 minute video did not address shielding nearby components, it is bad video?

If your going to break something during soldering then yes. Some IC are very expensive, plus some are very hard or impossible to get hold of.

When I changed the capacitors on my R9 Nano here on TechPowerup a lot of shielding went into protecting the GPU core.

One thing that's different here to most users here is, I use a microprocessor digital control dispenser for my solder paste. Manual (foot pedal) or fully automated (programmable). So I can solder-in BGA device with no solder balls (not recommended) but i did it to test my soldering skill.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
You are taking this way too far. Users are trying to help others here, it is as simple as that. At this point, it seems you just came in to argue with off tangent comments. I assume you spend all day on YouTube commenting on all the videos that could potentially cause harm too?

I don't comment youtube at all.. I don't consume low quality material. If I see endorsement for such things here it just amuses me and make me sad.

Such things as soldering need proper scholarship, not a youtube video. You must attend some sort of real courses with a teacher and equipment and play on with things, there are electronics circles everywhere around the world, use them. Not doing the stuff from first time and damage it even more as it usually ends up. It ain't that simple. It ain't fixing a broken power cord. We are talking about high tech SMD part soldering... not some plain simple through hole one layer PCB. Things have changed in the last 10 years very fast due to rapid tech development. Home repairs are not a reasonable thing to recommend to someone.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This video is student level. It will matter for those who attempt to make some diy piece of tech. Trial and error, a bit like this is lowest level and expired.

I agree with sneekypeet.
You are taking this way too far.
Who are tutorial videos for but someone seeking to learn (AKA, a student)? And for the record, I've spent a couple hundred hours in classrooms as a student years into my career after I got my electronics degrees and certs. I have gone "back" to school dozens of times for refresher courses AND to learn new technologies. There is NOTHING wrong with being a student.

Something I feel both you and delshay have overlooked or just ignored is where both me and that video author emphasized multiple times to practice!
When I changed the capacitors on my R9 Nano here on TechPowerup a lot of shielding went into protecting the GPU core.
Okay. So? That's just anecdotal. Your sample size of one experience with one card does not render the whole point moot, nor does it suggest the information presented in that video is bad, or not useful for everyone for every project. Nor does it even suggest you would have damaged the GPU core had you not used shielding. I would pose with practice, you could have done the repairs and not caused collateral damage.
Such things as soldering need proper scholarship, not a youtube video. You must attend some sort of real courses with a teacher and equipment and play on with things, there are electronics circles everywhere around the world, use them.
Oh, bullfeathers! That's just silly and totally impractical for many - and I say that as a formally trained, educated, and "certified master electronics technician" (see the link in my sig)! And it took me over 2 years of formal classroom and "on-the-job" follow-on training and certification evaluations before I could even think of calling myself that. But some of the best technicians (and auto-mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, etc.) I know are totally self-taught.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
know are totally self-taught.

You are missing the point. This video is not aimed at first timers doing repairs. It does more harm than good, as the content is done with bad and wrong techniques. You cannot apply them them repairing modern tech. It works only for basic level DIY PCB, where you have nothing to loose.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No, I have not missed the point. As SP noted, it is you who have taken this way too far. Nobody suggested that video was for first timers, nor for full time professionals either. But you seem to think it should cover every aspect of electronics soldering in 11 minutes and since it doesn't, it is bad and wrong, and will do more harm than good, and suggest only formally trained people with the latest soldering equipment can solder correctly.

Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched that video and didn't see any problems in particular. Going to have to agree with @eidairaman1 and @Bill_Bright. This is an excellent instructional video on soldering for beginners. The comments bemoaning same are without purpose or aim and just seem to be trolling to pick a fight.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
Have a good day.

From the same point, we have tons of people who always do not save their VGA BIOS and the same OP usually helps those buggers out... there are loads of them.

Why? Because some buggers told it is piece of cake somewhere on youtube etc, and some always mess up, and that's only with software.

I work in still in electronics business for nearly 20 years, warranty and out warranty cases with failed repair attempts are often a amusing sight, especially the shame as in the process it ended up making the device totally dead. Do we really need that and endorse it even more?

Last edited by a moderator:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I'll have to side with @Ferrum Master on this one - the video is a good example of soldering "bad habits".
First of all, you don't jam a soldering iron into the bent lead, you heat up the pad until the solder "flows" around the lead. That's the best way to get some cold joints or half-assed joints.
Second of all, using cheap rework station MUST include disclaimers, such as:
1) Cheap chinese hot air stations must be calibrated
2) This is super-important: you should always pre-heat the hot air station until temps stabilize on the output. As soon as you have a slight drop and nichrome heater kicks in, your temps will rise from 280C to 400+C at the exhaust. This is why you don't do hot air rework by pointing the tip 1cm away from the target component, otherwise you'll burn everything as soon as heater tries to compensate.
3) If you have sensitive components, or if you work with lead-free solder, or if you do BGA rework, it's a good idea to invest into a pre-heater. The cheapest one is like $30. Not critical, but it makes your life much easier.

Just check out Dave Jones on YT. While I don't always agree with the dude, he did a nice set of tutorials awhile back.
Soldering Playlist
Also, there are lots of re-posts of old tech training videos with proper soldering techniques.

@Ferrum Master , at least it's not one of our local DIY miracles, where dudes are poking into 0603 caps with finger-thick soviet soldering iron, and use solid pine rosin as flux.
I'm getting infuriated, when I need to clean up that shit after some basement-scientist decides once again that any electronic fault can be fixed by re-capping or reflow.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
finger-thick soviet soldering iron, and use solid pine rosin as flux

I call those - soldering gun for buckets. I've used those only back in the day repairing old TV sets.

You are missing the point. This video is not aimed at first timers doing repairs. It does more harm than good, as the content is done with bad and wrong techniques. You cannot apply them them repairing modern tech. It works only for basic level DIY PCB, where you have nothing to loose.

Thank you.

Video title "how to solder "properly"

If you break something like in the video, then that's not soldering properly.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Definitely at least two sides to the discussion, which is fine and encouraged. Name calling and trolling, not so much. Make your points, agree to change your mind, or to disagree, and let it go without attacks. Thanks!

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I do TONS of soldering and this is great thanks!
Always looking for new cool ways to do things.

Definitely at least two sides to the discussion, which is fine and encouraged. Name calling and trolling, not so much. Make your points, agree to change your mind, or to disagree, and let it go without attacks. Thanks!
I have to agree 100%.

People, this is a help thread and the negativity is needless. If us users want to offer alternate methodologies for soldering, thats one thing.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I have to agree 100%.

People, this is a help thread and the negativity is needless. If us users want to offer alternate methodologies for soldering, thats one thing.
This is a GREAT must see video! I literally watched the entire thing this guy is AMAZING wished I could solder that good my old ass hands shake like a paint mixer!