• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked RX 5700, Cannot boot using either available BIOS and cannot flash BIOS: ROM not erased: Error 0FL01

Artemis

Hello, I have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 with a dual BIOS switch. I flashed A Red Dragon 5700 XT BIOS onto the OC switch, and it worked for a good while, but then it stopped completely with no VGA output. The card now won't boot with the switch in either position, so I decided I would RMA it and reflash the card's original BIOS to the OC switch (so it would be under warranty again). However, I'm unable to flash using ATIFlash or AMDVBFlash. The card IS detected in the program and both BIOS versions are detected in Windows when I boot with the different switch positions. When using -unlockrom, it says ROM unlocked, but when I go to reflash it spits out the same 0FL01 error I get with -f and -p, -f and -pa, -newbios and -f and -p, and by using ATIFlash in DOS from a bootable stick (in DOS it doesn't detect the card at all (no adapter found) and it errors out). This is all being done from a system with two PCIe slots and no onboard video, with a GTX 1060 as the video output card. I've tried switching the card positions so they are in the different slots, but the system fails to output video like that. When testing it with -i in cmd it says PASS so I don't understand why I'm unable to flash. I've heard of the 1+8 method but I don't know if its applicable to this card model or how I would find which chip I'd do this to. I'd like to RMA the card right now, but if something can fix it and make it bootable again then that would be even better, but there's probably some other underlying problem that has nothing to do with the BIOS. Thanks, all responses are appreciated :)

image0.jpg

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello, I have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 with a dual BIOS switch. I flashed A Red Dragon 5700 XT BIOS onto the OC switch, and it worked for a good while, but then it stopped completely with no VGA output. The card now won't boot with the switch in either position, so I decided I would RMA it and reflash the card's original BIOS to the OC switch (so it would be under warranty again). However, I'm unable to flash using ATIFlash or AMDVBFlash. The card IS detected in the program and both BIOS versions are detected in Windows when I boot with the different switch positions. When using -unlockrom, it says ROM unlocked, but when I go to reflash it spits out the same 0FL01 error I get with -f and -p, -f and -pa, -newbios and -f and -p, and by using ATIFlash in DOS from a bootable stick (in DOS it doesn't detect the card at all (no adapter found) and it errors out). This is all being done from a system with two PCIe slots and no onboard video, with a GTX 1060 as the video output card. I've tried switching the card positions so they are in the different slots, but the system fails to output video like that. When testing it with -i in cmd it says PASS so I don't understand why I'm unable to flash. I've heard of the 1+8 method but I don't know if its applicable to this card model or how I would find which chip I'd do this to. I'd like to RMA the card right now, but if something can fix it and make it bootable again then that would be even better, but there's probably some other underlying problem that has nothing to do with the BIOS. Thanks, all responses are appreciated :)

View attachment 145025

Need white sticker info from card, also boot into windows using the spare gpu, open gpu-z and get a screenshot from there for starters

I will provide more info when you have done so. By the way did you save the original bios?

View attachment 145025

Artemis

Here’s GPU-Z

Attachments

• A4D60837-3354-4BA6-9095-3202FB4A2BB9.jpeg
    A4D60837-3354-4BA6-9095-3202FB4A2BB9.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 1,055

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
White sticker info please

Get it from cardback

Artemis

Is this what you need? Or does the backplate need to be taken off. (Original oc bios isn’t saved, Silent one is, but I need to flash the oc bios)

Attachments

• 2452E323-0B65-421B-B770-8DB3BC9311E4.jpeg
    2452E323-0B65-421B-B770-8DB3BC9311E4.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 610

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Is this what you need? Or does the backplate need to be taken off.

Good enough

I will get you what you need in a bit

AXRX 5700 8GBD6-3DHR/OC

Screenshot_2020-02-19-16-55-08.png

Screenshot_2020-02-19-16-56-12.png
Screenshot_2020-02-19-16-56-25.png

Follow this link download that file

Read through that link and also you may need to follow these procedures

Since the Subsystem ID will be changing slightly you will need to do a force flash in an administrator privileged command prompt. (Find cmd in start menu right click and open as administrator)

If that is not performed you may receive the stupid 0FL error.

Then follow this command

Enter this command first

Amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0

Then enter this command

amdvbflash -f -p 0 XXXX .rom

Note: XXXX is the name of the VBIOS file you downloaded. You can also change the downloaded file name to a simple name.

Otherwise you do it this way:

Create a new text file in your ATIFlash directory, name it FLASH.bat, and place this code into it:

@Echo off
cls

echo Flashing card 0 with BIOS.rom...
echo.
amdvbflash -p 0 -f BIOS.rom
echo.

pause
Assuming the new BIOS you want to flash onto your card is named BIOS.rom, this is the BIOS it will use for flashing.

Save your changes, then run the batch file by double-clicking on it.

Once you've received a success message, reboot your computer for the new BIOS to come into effect. If you can boot into Windows successfully, then that's good! (Note: your screen may flicker for a bit, because you basically have a new card, and Windows is trying to recognize it. If you want to be thorough, go ahead and do a clean re-install of your graphics drivers.)

You may need these if you dont have original bios
Here is the tool

These are the only bios we have for reddragon

Quiet bios position

Performance bios position

Spare

@Artemis

Last edited:

Artemis

Okay, will test these tomorrow, need to get the gpu back in my friend's hands to try this. Thanks :)

Artemis

The Windows method didn't work, gave the same stupid 0FL error with elevated command prompt and the batch file, but the DOS method worked this time! Before I used a different ATIflash in DOS and it didnt recognize my card, but the flash worked successfully :D the card is still fried, it won't spin up and it has no display out, but now I can RMA it without powercolor denying my request (I think). I'm gonna look around and see if I can find someone who has this card and compare their bios to the one on techpowerup, since the silent and oc bios names are different for some reason (NAVI10 K7916JAA.ROM D19902 XL 170W 1500RPM versus. NAVI10 Dragon K7810JAA.ROM Fighter XL 155W 1200RPM) and see if I need to flash again. Thank you so much for the help

Last edited:
The Windows method didn't work, gave the same stupid 0FL error with elevated command prompt and the batch file, but the DOS method worked this time! Before I used a different ATIflash in DOS and it didnt recognize my card, but the flash worked successfully :D the card is still fried, it won't spin up and it has no display out, but now I can RMA it without powercolor denying my request (I think). I'm gonna look around and see if I can find someone who has this card and compare their bios to the one on techpowerup, since the silent and oc bios names are different for some reason (NAVI10 K7916JAA.ROM D19902 XL 170W 1500RPM versus. NAVI10 Dragon K7810JAA.ROM Fighter XL 155W 1200RPM) and see if I need to flash again. Thank you so much for the help

But flashing in Windows is the same as in DOS right ? ; )

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Ye watch my thread i posted few days ago haaa . I dont have much experience but they said i have placebo effect when i said all my problems gone after DOS flash compared to Windows flash !!
No..
I just know.
There's not 7 Atiflashes and 6 AFUDOSes and 5 NVflashes on my "bricker" drive for nothing. :laugh:

Volume title: Bricker

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
But flashing in Windows is the same as in DOS right ? ; )

If it flashes right it is.

Mind you, this card isn't booting so "right" is debatable.

No..
I just know.
There's not 7 Atiflashes and 6 AFUDOSes and 5 NVflashes on my "bricker" drive for nothing. :laugh:

Volume title: Bricker

Just get an spi flasher ya noob. :laugh:

Ye watch my thread i posted few days ago haaa . I dont have much experience but they said i have placebo effect when i said all my problems gone after DOS flash compared to Windows flash !!

If your card boots, it is placebo, sorry.

If it flashes right it is.

Mind you, this card isn't booting so "right" is debatable.

Just get an spi flasher ya noob. :laugh:

If your card boots, it is placebo, sorry.

I mean you said that flash is flash and no matter if windows or dos so why is dos working and windows not if the same card is as broken in windows as it is in dos so? :D

Trust me once i flashed my card in DOS with exact same vbios that was previously flashed in Windows i felt like i replaced my gpu ( no exaggeration ) !So i will advise it to every1 who's card is using bios flashed in windows to reflash in DOS. It removes all problems...

@edit
I mean you said windows and dos flash is the same so how is that OP could not flash in windows cuz of errors no matter what he did and DOS went without problems ? 0 logic on your side. If it were the same both situations would show errors.

Last edited:

Artemis

PowerColor accepted my RMA request, and shipped me back a fresh card. Thanks to you guys, I was able to flash the default BIOS to this dead card and get it returned. :D
They didn't see any changes to the BIOS and treated the card like any other bricked GPU.

$350 saved on my end.

In case someone has this same issue, follow the instructions and you should be golden.
And if you decide to return it, PowerColor CANNOT see any changes you made to the BIOS chip from using ATIFlash.

I mean you said that flash is flash and no matter if windows or dos so why is dos working and windows not if the same card is as broken in windows as it is in dos so? :D

Trust me once i flashed my card in DOS with exact same vbios that was previously flashed in Windows i felt like i replaced my gpu ( no exaggeration ) !So i will advise it to every1 who's card is using bios flashed in windows to reflash in DOS. It removes all problems...

I don't know what you're on about. Don't go on a flashing rampage when there's a method to it.

I mean you said windows and dos flash is the same so how is that OP could not flash in windows cuz of errors no matter what he did and DOS went without problems ? 0 logic on your side. If it were the same both situations would show errors.

DOS is different because there are no drivers and applications and other Windows crap denying the program access to the card. In DOS there's none of that, so the program can do what it needs to without anything getting in its way.

Flashing in DOS and Windows was different because the card wasn't detected by Windows as a GPU, and ATIflash couldn't do its thing in Windows because of that or some other unknown issue.

Last edited: