• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Stock air cooler
Memory 16 Ghz Gskill Ripjaws 5
Video Card(s) Asrock Radeon RX580 8Ghz DDR5
Storage SK Hynix Gold S31 500 Ghz, PNY 120 Ghz SSD and WD Blue 1TB HDD
Display(s) TCL 40" 4K Roku TV
Case Zalman Z1 Neo
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB to an Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI
Power Supply Prestige Power 600 watt 80 Gold
Mouse yes
Keyboard yes (lol, both wireless)
It's because it's an untrusted .exe, various browsers may block it. https://easyupload.io/r1i0az
Well I got it downloaded finally but I'm not so sure if this is geared more towards the 8 series Realtek drivers or the Creative thing OR in installing those components it would confuse the installation entirely since I dont have them- maybe Just Atmos? I got none of that.
I have the ALC1220-VB Realtek driver/codec with 7.1 Dolby Digital, DTS and all those other Dolbys so maybe I was barking up the wrong tree.
Tellya what tho, I am sick to death of buying motherboards that half the outside of the box talks about how great the surround is and I keep getting stuck with 2 point fucking shit for sound and the companies themselves act like there arent 2500 people screaming about exactly the same thing while they do nothing about it. This has class action lawsuit written all over it.
Maybe I'm just installing it incorrectly- after all it's not like it came with instructions or anything . . . . . . . .

I recently added support to my DTS DCH driver for 12XX, see here, please read the whole thread from the start, and make a restore point.
I don't guarantee it will work for you, hence the restore point. If it does, it will give you pretty much all you need from DTS.

You should still be able to add Dolby from the store if you own it, I am not sure though.

unknown_VS

Oh dear! I ran into the same issues with Alan's driver, months ago.
Yeah? And what was the issue then?

For me the issue is clear, I can't select "configure" for my digital out, and as long I can't do that windows will never see anything but 2.0 channel stereo , which indeed is happening since the windows 10 "creators" update, so unfortunately this driver doesn't really do anything to fix the issue, although of course i can't be sure i installed it right.
It also installed nahimic service btw, which I *do* know has nothing to do with my sound chip as it doesn't support nahimic, maybe that's why, idk just something I noticed that seemed weird.

20210330_150854.jpg

As you see "configure" is greyed out, so that's why windows only sees stereo since i literally can't configure it any other way with this option greyed out.

You cant configure Digital in that manor, it will always be greyed out. The options you need are in 'Advanced'.
For Alans driver disable enhancements, which does the obvious but also fixes the problem.

1.png

I will PM Alan, with code I am using, hopefully he will fix it.

unknown_VS

You cant configure Digital in that manor, it will always be greyed out. The options you need are in 'Advanced'.
For Alans driver disable enhancements, which does the obvious but also fixes the problem.

View attachment 194505

I will PM Alan, with code I am using, hopefully he will fix it.

Tbh i have no idea why your settings look different, but that doesn't work for me, enhancements are disabled, only can select 2 channel sound regardless. Also configure used to work prior to creators update, I know because it's all i ever used.
20210330_153356.jpg20210330_153423.jpg

The only weird part is why does it work when I do the "test" thing lol, it addresses each speaker separately, which afaik it didn't do before I installed this modded driver.

You are missing an inline transcoder (encoder), such as DTS Interactive, or Dolby Digital Live. Good to see you can do 192Khz 24 bit, that's a good start.
Do you know what ALC you have because I see AAF 'Legacy', I don't think I have seen that before. I see Realtek also.

Follow this guide, but instead install Alans driver, if that's what you want, if not then try mine. Whatever floats your boat :)

----

If you're having a problem with either Windows or device manager, try this app. Its very powerful.

Last edited:

unknown_VS

Do you know what ALC you have because I see AAF 'Legacy', I don't think I have seen that before. I see Realtek also.
ALC 892

What does that mean? Shouldn't the driver add this functionality (codec)?

And yes, I installed the legacy option, which I already mentioned, because the second option didn't seem to do anything and just didn't look like it installed correctly.

Odd, not sure if the legacy driver adds this, maybe it doesn't. So you cant install the newer driver because of Windows?

unknown_VS

Odd, not sure if the legacy driver adds this, maybe it doesn't. So you cant install the newer driver because of Windows?
I can install it, but there are less options, like no equalizer etc, and the result is the same, no 5.1 sound available.

I'm not sure either, shouldn't it give me a surround sound option in the Realtek app too? all it says is "stereo mix" so no surprise it doesn't work, still doesn't explain why it does when I use the DTS test option, which implies the right codec is actually installed, it just doesn't recognize my Z906 as a surround sound system, which it definitely is.

Btw also strange i can select 5.1 in games, but it still just doesn't want to work.

Indeed strange. I have Z906, and have no issues playing over SPDIF, My only suggestion is a full system clean and try my driver (DTS DCH). I have equalizer and everything.

1.png2.png

unknown_VS

Oh dear! I ran into the same issues with Alan's driver, months ago.
Coming back to this, how did you fix it, just make your own driver?
Good job if so!

Indeed strange. I have Z906, and have no issues playing over SPDIF, My only suggestion is a full system clean and try my driver (DTS DCH). I have equalizer and everything.

I'm curious, does that driver just work by itself or does it require further tinkering?

Also the good news is I got it to work
With AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.8996.1

So what I did was uninstall Alan's driver, then remove any Realtek drivers and possible Soundblaster drivers with DDU... because I figured that's way faster and safer than me doing this manually, then installed the 6.0.8996.1 driver, only the "second" option (forgot how it's called tbh) and finally it worked!?

20210331_023724.jpg

It also finally lights up the "decode" thing on my decoder, both options dts and dolby digital work.

Unfortunately there are some issues with it though. Namely I can't change the volume with the keyboard buttons and neither can I alt tab to change the volume, because if I do this happens
20210331_022513.jpg

Seems to depend on the game though, i tried another one and there the keyboard buttons for the volume worked although there was a loud crackling noise each time, so this is far from ideal and I hope this is maybe fixed in newer versions, or maybe I just need to install something else from the package additionally
@Alan Finotty ?

Maybe it's just some settings doing this, i don't know if I need DTS connect for example.

I tried turning on and off exclusive mode, but that didn't do nothing.
Should I just try newer version again?

And btw big thanks for making this!

Huge progress for me personally, the crashing/ crackling issues can hopefully be fixed somehow. :)

Well, I tried a lot of different settings now, doesn't seem to make a difference.
Issues i found:
Can't change volume in full screen apps

Alt tabbing + change volume in taskbar results either in applications crashing or loud crackling noises
When I turn on my pc the sound is always set to 100

When skipping videos with wmp, there's always a loud pop or crackling sound, when i just let a video clip run until the next starts it's smooth and there are no crackling sounds.

Also whenever I play any sound, also stereo, such as music, the decoder lights up, something iffy about that because the decoder should only light up when surround sound is played, ie DTS or DD .

Lastly, I now have nahimic service in my services, so the uninstaller did not remove everything as I never had previously nahimic installed, and my motherboard does not support it.

Maybe nitpicking and I have the service since disabled, and I'm just mentioning it because it may have messed something up (since it apparently wasn't uninstalled correctly)

So, yeah, I'm not sure what to do, maybe just install different version?

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION 6.0.9129.1
NEW FIXES
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

Good to know you made use of the code I sent (just read your files), what can you do with 12XX series?

System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed
Memory Mushkin DDR4 16 GB
Video Card(s) ASUS RX560 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung LE40F86BDX (TV)/1x Samsung SyncMaster T240
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 80+ 750W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech K260
Software Win 10 Pro x64 v20H2
NEW FIXES
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

I got a Question about your Setup-Files: Why will Microsoft Edge not accept your Drivers as secure Files? Every Download, that I take from your Releases, the Edge says, that this Kind of Files could damage the PC :-(

.exe Security. He will have to .7z or.zip them to bypass this issue.

Also @Alan Finotty, just reading though again, I don't see the encoder .dll, maybe I just don't see it, everything else is good. NVM I see it.
Any sharable codes related to 12XX will be gold to me if you are able to pass any.

----

I also have additional info and settings for DTS systems, and it includes full use of the Realtek Audio Console, EQ's and multichannel.
Personally I am not going back to your driver as I have a working DTS:X driver, but I am willing to aid you with yours.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to use my DTS:X version, so far its all ALC12XX that have issues.

Last edited:

AAF Optimus

Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
I got a Question about your Setup-Files: Why will Microsoft Edge not accept your Drivers as secure Files? Every Download, that I take from your Releases, the Edge says, that this Kind of Files could damage the PC :-(
The reason is only the certificate used to sign the installer, as it is a self-signed certificate.

If you put the installer inside a .zip or .7z the issue will disappear, and various people will be less put off when their browser says 'Danger'.

Example: https://easyupload.io/dr76iv (AAFAudioPackDCH-6.0.9129.1.7z, installer inside)

Last edited:
System Name Gaming PC
Processor 8700k delided with Grizzly liquid metal overclocked to 5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac
Cooling Noctua CPU and case fans
Memory G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
Storage SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB M.2
Display(s) Old LG Plasma TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Audio Device(s) All software...Dolby Atmos
Power Supply EVGA G3 750 watt
Mouse None
Keyboard Bluetooth something
Software Windows 10
NEW FIXES
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!
Driver version number didn't change from last one.
6.0.9129.1 -------> 6.0.9129.2

Great work btw and thank you.

unknown_VS

I'm trying the new driver right now, crackling noises when selecting any video or music track still present, volume is still set to 100 every time I reboot the PC and i still can't change volume in most full screen apps (games)

Also I'm wondering why it always says decode on my decoder now even if I play stereo sounds, there is nothing to decode and I can't select 4.1 on my Logitech Z906 either,because it's just locked to decode.

Is anything of that normal or does it just not work correctly?

I'm not sure what my decoder is tbh, I would only need DTS, but I'm unsure what I'm supposed to select. And what's the difference between HDA and UAD?

Motherboard is MSI B350M MORTAR

@unknown_VS

I did not look at Alans main driver, but you should be able to install Equalizer-APO, see my guide in the signature below. Usually this fixes most issues with Realtek performance and sometimes noise.

"I'm not sure what my decoder is tbh, I would only need DTS" -- He means exactly that, the decoder is either Dolby Digital Live! or DTS, UAD is current, HDA is technically legacy.

unknown_VS

@unknown_VS

I did not look at Alans main driver, but you should be able to install Equalizer-APO, see my guide in the signature below. Usually this fixes most issues with Realtek performance and sometimes noise.

"I'm not sure what my decoder is tbh, I would only need DTS" -- He means exactly that, the decoder is either Dolby Digital Live! or DTS, UAD is current, HDA is technically legacy.
Ok, thanks for the info... i think it always installs both, dts and dd, but it's not really consistent, I'll look at it again though, i know what I'm supposed to install now (which I only guessed before)

Well I already had equalizer installed that didn't fix the noise at all. -- one thing I noticed is when I select 2 channel sound the noise stops completely, of course then I'll also lose surround sound so that's not really a fix, just maybe interesting...

Interesting. Alan modifies 'RTKVHD64.sys' (I believe with 5.1 mods, based on tests), when I used it with the DTS encoder, I also got noise although subtle.
Note to @Alan Finotty, you might need to use the original 'RTKVHD64.sys' with the DTS system.

AAF Optimus

Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9132.1
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!