• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random system shut down

So i just built my friend a pc, it worked great and now for the last 5 days its been shutting down at random times usually between 1-4 hours and them it proceeds to turn back on immediately after it shuts down, i dont know what to do anymore i replaced the psu replaced cpu thermal paste replaced thermal paste on the chipset. the last think i can possibly think of is the gpu and i do have the gpu overclocked, the cpu was overclocked but i reset the bios thinking it was the cpu oc and it wasnt so like i said, the only thing i can really think of is the gpu being oc'd.
Specs:
Gigabyte HD-3 z87
I5 4670k
16gb teamgroup 1600mhz ram
Evga 500watt psu
Gtx 960

Edit: it wasnt the gpu im at a total loss now i have no idea what it could be at this point.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Sounds like a poor connection somewhere. The suspects of course, would be the ATX 24-pin connector and the 8-pin EPS CPU connector.

Sounds like a poor connection somewhere. The suspects of course, would be the ATX 24-pin connector and the 8-pin EPS CPU connector.
yeah i made sure i pushed down on it when i put the psu in the 2nd time and rechecked everything so i doubt it unless some how the connecter its self is bad. but since i put the new psu in i have noticed it hasnt shut off every hour its more like every 4 hours now. the only thing i can think of is to d a complete bios reset and use the bios jumper witch i didn't do before but i doubt it will do any thing now.

it might be the cpu power connecter because it was a bitch trying to get in so it might be that.

also, do you know if a really degraded CPU could cause this problem as well?

System Name Swordfish
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling AlphaCool GPU block | TechN CPU block, distro plate with DDC pump + 3 D5 pumps | two 360mm rads
Memory 32gb G.Skill 3800 CL14@1.5v (watercooled)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 XT Nitro+
Storage 1TB Adata M.2 + 1TB Samsung M.2 SSDs
Display(s) 1440p 144Hz ultrawide monitor
Case Asus GT501 TUF case
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 1300w
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/28528763 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/27823854
Check for WHEA errors to know if the CPU is causing the reboot. It could also be a rogue Windows app. In my case, it was Qbittorrent. Download WhoCrashed.

Check for WHEA errors to know if the CPU is causing the reboot. It could also be a rogue Windows app. In my case, it was Qbittorrent. Download WhoCrashed.
will do, my friend is bringing it over to my house so i will be able to look at it closer then. but i will check this out.

also i have my doubts about it being a WHEA error because when it shuts down it isnt a blue screen of death but rather a hard shutdown as if someone pulled the power cable out of the wall or pushed the reset button.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
so you testet everything except ram? is it at 1600mhz if yes try it downclocked to 1333 mhz.
is it 2x8gb or 4x4gb
how old is the power supply?

so you testet everything except ram? is it at 1600mhz if yes try it downclocked to 1333 mhz.
is it 2x8gb or 4x4gb
how old is the power supply?
yeah i didn't test ram because i didn't seem like a ram issue is just random shut downs it could be ram but there's no beep code or anything it just boots back into the os like nothing happened, also the psu is about 1 day old now i just put a new one in his pc and it still has random shutdowns, i thought it could have been the vrm but the vrm says its fine and when i used a lazer temp gun on them it said they were about 50-60c (on the vrm heatsink and the chokes themselves) (also I'm 85% sure the thermal limit for the vrm is 90c) . so that's why im so confused because it acts like its either an electrical issue or a thermal issue but everything thermally and electrically seems to be fine.

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
but when ya say it happens between 1-4 hours its a little random for me so if ya testet everything else .
do ya know how the ram runs at 1600mhz try downclocking even to 1066 mhz.
what sometimes is forgotten-today 8gb sticks are normal or even small but back in z87 days 4gb was normal and 8gb was big stuff so the combatibility sometimes is off.
i cost not much time to test memtest
i use the usb installer:

but when ya say it happens between 1-4 hours its a little random for me so if ya testet everything else .
what sometimes is forgotten-today 8gb sticks are normal or even small but back in z87 days 4gb was normal and 8gb was big stuff so the combatibility sometimes is off.
i use the usb installer:
ok i will try that out and if it and nothing else anyone has state ill probably try putting a different cpu in it, as well it has an older bios on it (F7) and in 2014 it seems they updated it to F8 witch "Enhanced Intel K-sku CPU performance" whatever thats supposed to mean, im kind of wondering if its the bios? but i have a big doubt about it plus idk if it would be worth updating seeing how risky it is and it could brick the mother board.

i use the usb installer:
also could you explain to me or send a tutorial of how the mem tool works. thanks.

System Name Swordfish
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling AlphaCool GPU block | TechN CPU block, distro plate with DDC pump + 3 D5 pumps | two 360mm rads
Memory 32gb G.Skill 3800 CL14@1.5v (watercooled)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 XT Nitro+
Storage 1TB Adata M.2 + 1TB Samsung M.2 SSDs
Display(s) 1440p 144Hz ultrawide monitor
Case Asus GT501 TUF case
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 1300w
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/28528763 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/27823854
will do, my friend is bringing it over to my house so i will be able to look at it closer then. but i will check this out.

also i have my doubts about it being a WHEA error because when it shuts down it isnt a blue screen of death but rather a hard shutdown as if someone pulled the power cable out of the wall or pushed the reset button.
WHEA errors can also cause a sudden reboot especially if the overclocked CPU is very unstable. It doesn't always have to be a BSOD. Also, what are you doing with a laser temp gun? :D Use proper monitoring software like HWINFO.

WHEA errors can also cause a sudden reboot especially if the overclocked CPU is very unstable. It doesn't always have to be a BSOD.
OH my bad, also the cpu has be rest back to its normal clock speed so i dont think the oc is an issue anymore. it could be a windows problem but i had reinstalled windows on it before because it was acting very weird and was also turning off and being very slow after entering windows. im going to use the WhoCrashed to see if anything weird is happening.

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
usb stick and take the usb auto installer from the link above.

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
yeah its a exe which you just point to the usb stick.
and then after reboot your system start from usb stick and it should start the programm automatic

try it and if ya have probs we are here to help

and then after reboot your system start from usb stick and it should start the programm automatic

ok, thank you.

Yeah so it crashed mid way throught the test and turned on and off several times

It wasn't the atx or cpu connecter it randomly shut off through a mem test and after that it continued to turn on and off and finally turned on q minute later and after about 2 min it shut off and continued to then turn back on

You might be right about the ram i took one ram stick out and tested the other and it instantly crashed withing less than 30 seconds of the crash while the other stick has been going for around 44min now

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i would check every stick solo.
do ya know in which test it failed-normally its test 5-should be the hardest-if yes then ya can jump to test 5 directly.

sorry overread the crashed after 30 sec. then no need for test 5 for this stick anymore.

i know its time consuming but i would check every stick solo.
do ya know in which test it failed-normally its test 5-should be the hardest-if yes then ya can jump to test 5 directly and loop it 3 to 5 times
It crashed on both 1 lasted tell test 7 but there were still shut downs, i put some other ddr3 i had into it and it did the same thing. I took out the motherboard and as a hail marry took off the VRM heatsink being careful not to break the thermal stuff but there was dust all under it so i cleaned it off and unplugged one of the fanns since it seemed to not really be spinning like the others amd it hasnt shut of yet right now im on test 10

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if you are at it clean out the ram sockets and if possible the rest as best as ya can.
look at the golden contacts of the ram -can clean this too.
i use Q tip with isopropanol over 90% which ya should get at every drug store or pharmacy

i am still not sure if the ram is faulty or the mainboard is very picky about which ram it likes

the bios on the motherboard is newest?

if you are at it clean out the ram sockets and if possible the rest as best as ya can.
look at the golden contacts of the ram -can clean this too.
i use Q tip with isopropanol over 90% which ya should get at every drug store or pharmacy

i am still not sure if the ram is faulty or the mainboard is very picky about which ram it likes

the bios on the motherboard is newest?
Yeah right now im using A-DATA 1600mhz, idk this thing is so confusing hopefully it doesnt shut down. Also long can the test go for?

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
you can loop it or just use one specific test but normally i think it goes trough 10 tests and then stops.
if the test runs trough i would use something like games or what ya did during your crashes

and the more ram ya have the tests takes little longer-so 1x2gb takes 5 min then 16gb would take 10 min just as an example

you can loop it or just use one specific test but normally i think it goes trough 10 tests and then stops.
if the test runs trough i would use something like games or what ya did during your crashes

and the more ram ya have the tests takes little longer-so 1x2gb takes 5 min then 16gb would take 10 min just as an example
Ok. Ill let it finnish then stay up for a bit gaming on it and see if it crahses

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
how big are the adata sticks? i mean in GB

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
sounds like a bad power supply. put a psu that you know is good in it and see what it does.