• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

System Name Antec 1200
Processor Core i7 92 DO
Motherboard Gigabyte EX-58UD5
Cooling Corsair H50 Dual fan
Memory Corsair XMS3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX 5850 HD
Storage 1 x Intel M25 SSD, 3 x Samsung F3 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Creative Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000W
Software Win 7 Pro 64 bit
I did a safe mode clean of gpu drivers and then checked sound - nothing. I shall give more info on setup: I removed my Asus Essence Stxii about 6 months ago as it was causing issues with a game. I was running full surround through the soundcard to my Onkyo receiver to provide 5.1 surround audio. When I removed it I resorted to running it through the monitor which has worked fine for years. Then this happened and in an effort to restore some type of audio, i connected the mobo optical out (supports 8 channel audio) to the Onkyo receiver. But in setup, there is no option for anything other than stereo, no matter what version of realtek I download. So the issue is twofold. First, I need to find out what the issue is with getting sound from my monitor (and why it is seen as a telephone device) and secondly, what is stopping my system from being able to use more than 2 channels. The mobo supports it and the drivers are up to date (and I have tried rolling back drivers as well). I have updated drivers for the monitor, I have installed Asus sound managers but they say they cannot find an audio device, I have installed Intels latest chipset but all still the same. I am beginning to think it would be easier to do a clean windows install now.

Ok here is some more weirdness. So, went into bios and turned off HD Audio. Went into windows and went to sound, video and game controllers. Deleted the nvidia device .. rebooted and lost entire gpu .. no display at all .. rebooted and gpu came back .. reinstalled drivers and it rebooted just fine. ??
Thought I would give Asus Essence STX ii a go to see what would happen. All installed just fine and I can get full surround via it. But still couldn't with Realtek .. so Im convinced it's a far deeper issue than just a realtek, windows setting sort of thing. I can see the Nvidia driver and it's set to default and the volume bar is there .. but it just will not recognise the gpu as a sound device no matter what I do

System Name My Gamer PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 TUF
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix SportLT 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Geforce RTX 2080 AMP!
Storage SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Samsung UHD 4K 28" 60Hz DisplayPort 1.2
Case AeroCool Aero-1000 White
Audio Device(s) JVC RX-6008V Audio Receiver Dolby/DTS with S-PDIF
Power Supply Corsair TX850 v2 850W single rail
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Thermaltake TteSports Knucker
Software Windows 10 Pro
To all that need to use "Dolby Digital Live" or "DTS Connect" thru S-PDIF to your audio receiver, just use this custom driver made by "Alan Finote". No need to use registry hacks or copy modded DLL files, it just works.
I recommend using the standard driver (not the DHC one). On install, select only "APO with DDL/DTS" and unselect the rest. Then to encode Windows 5.1 audio to Dolby or DTS for your gaming in proper surround sound, just select the "Dolby Digital Live" or "DTS Connect" in Windows's "Sound Control" panel. That's what I do.
... see my post with a screenshot here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...0-dch-uad-version.250915/page-85#post-4329091

As usual, make a Windows backup point so you can restore your current state before trying this driver (if it doesn't work for you).

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
I did a safe mode clean of gpu drivers and then checked sound - nothing. I shall give more info on setup: I removed my Asus Essence Stxii about 6 months ago as it was causing issues with a game. I was running full surround through the soundcard to my Onkyo receiver to provide 5.1 surround audio. When I removed it I resorted to running it through the monitor which has worked fine for years. Then this happened and in an effort to restore some type of audio, i connected the mobo optical out (supports 8 channel audio) to the Onkyo receiver. But in setup, there is no option for anything other than stereo, no matter what version of realtek I download. So the issue is twofold. First, I need to find out what the issue is with getting sound from my monitor (and why it is seen as a telephone device) and secondly, what is stopping my system from being able to use more than 2 channels. The mobo supports it and the drivers are up to date (and I have tried rolling back drivers as well). I have updated drivers for the monitor, I have installed Asus sound managers but they say they cannot find an audio device, I have installed Intels latest chipset but all still the same. I am beginning to think it would be easier to do a clean windows install now.

Ok here is some more weirdness. So, went into bios and turned off HD Audio. Went into windows and went to sound, video and game controllers. Deleted the nvidia device .. rebooted and lost entire gpu .. no display at all .. rebooted and gpu came back .. reinstalled drivers and it rebooted just fine. ??
Thought I would give Asus Essence STX ii a go to see what would happen. All installed just fine and I can get full surround via it. But still couldn't with Realtek .. so Im convinced it's a far deeper issue than just a realtek, windows setting sort of thing. I can see the Nvidia driver and it's set to default and the volume bar is there .. but it just will not recognise the gpu as a sound device no matter what I do
Man, you are making it extremely difficult at every step. Your system specs say you have an old ATI card, but you are talking about nvidia drivers. Why would you have nvidia drivers installed when you have an AMD card? And secondly, "monitor driver" does not contain anything audio related. You need to install the whole driver package from AMD here.

System Name Antec 1200
Processor Core i7 92 DO
Memory Corsair XMS3 1600
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Antec 1200
Umm dunno where you got AMD from ... I have a Nvidia GPU ... Intel mobo ..
The monitor has an install disc with audio drivers. In an effort to try and see if something works I reinstalled it. It did nothing.
In an effort to see if it was a realtek issue/conflict, I turned off HD Audio in bios. Then tried the Nvidia HD Audio .. it did nothing even after a reinstall.
To see if the old Asus Essense STX ii soundcard and drivers did anything, I reinstalled it. I can get full surround and audio manager via the Asus software .. that's good but does not solve the problem.
I noted that on some audio files (WMA), the default player does not recognise them and cannot play them. I have to resort to VLC media player. So something in the system is not working.
It is not just a case of seeing if I can get surround sound .. it's finding out what happened and how I lost it and why my monitor is being seen as a communications device and not an audio device

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
Your SYSTEM SPECS which YOU filled up shows XFX 5850 HD as GPU which is an AMD card. And monitor's sound is driven by this card when connected by HDMI/DP cable - NOT by the monitor.

And to fix your playback issues, download and install k-lite codec pack. During install associate all video and audio files to mpc-hc 64-bit for best experience. It's all free.

System Name Antec 1200
Processor Core i7 92 DO
Memory Corsair XMS3 1600
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Antec 1200
Please re-read .. I have not posted anything to do with an XFX 5850 ... you have the wrong person

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Please re-read .. I have not posted anything to do with an XFX 5850 ... you have the wrong person

you might need to update your system specs man

I`ve installed @ CiroConsentino driver version and I finally get DTS on my strix B450E gaming MBO without sacrifice ROG stuff on board ( sonic studio , sonic radar etc ). Everything works like a charm , tnx again man :respect:

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 581
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    187.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 561
Hi guys. Need Realtek mod driver with Dolby Prologic 2 on SPDIF, please. what driver use?. I have realtek alc1220.

R2.80 Modded driver doesnt work Pro Logic with the lastest windows 10 update (october 20h2).

I specifically need it to work for Logic 2 in spdif. I've tried alain finnote's drivers and I can't see the option. Please help me, I'm going crazy

Processor i7-7700k @ 4.9Ghz
Motherboard Asus Prime Z270-A
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSports DUO
Memory 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GTX1070
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Seagate 2TB SSHD
Display(s) 2x HP 23xi
Case Phantex P400S TG
Power Supply Corsair RM750X
Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II
Keyboard Logitech G510
Hi guys. Need Realtek mod driver with Dolby Prologic 2 on SPDIF, please. what driver use?. I have realtek alc1220.

R2.80 Modded driver doesnt work Pro Logic with the lastest windows 10 update (october 20h2).

I specifically need it to work for Logic 2 in spdif. I've tried alain finnote's drivers and I can't see the option. Please help me, I'm going crazy
i just use the UAD, and install the realtek audio control from Windows store.. also running ALC1220 - im using optical out and enabling DTS:Connect enables prologic.. or atleast, I get sound out of rear from stereo sources... and full surround if the source supports it.

Last edited:
i just use the UAD, and install the realtek audio control from.windoes store.. also running ALC1220 - im using optical out and enabling DTS:Connect enabkes prologic.. at least, I get sound out of rear from stereo sources... and full sirround if the source supports it.
Thanks. Can you make "mini-tutorial" for me to install this?. Files that I have to download, steps to follow, etc... Thanks in advance!

Display(s) 2x HP 23xi
Case Phantex P400S TG
Keyboard Logitech G510
Thanks. Can you make "mini-tutorial" for me to install this?. Files that I have to download, steps to follow, etc... Thanks in advance!

Why a tutorial?

Find "Realtek-UAD-generic-6.0.8911.1" (only tested x.8900 and x.8911) - (latest I can find, is 6.0.9098.1)
Install it as normal..

After install, Check in Device Manager for "Realtek Audio Universal Service" under the "Software components" section.
Next, Go to Windows Store and install "Realtek Audio Control"

Once installed, open it up, click Your device on the left, scroll down below the EQ (on the right) and enable DTS Connect for Movie or Music ;)

- if you have a DTS decoder, you will be able to enable "DTS Interactive" for the Format also... Here's how mine looks...

1612023539025.png

Last edited:
Display(s) 2x HP 23xi
Case Phantex P400S TG
Keyboard Logitech G510
Any luck? :)

@Ghozer

Does the DTS connect option work? Do you get 5.1 when stereo is played? I'm guessing that's the patched HDA APO?
I have a patched version that is probably newer than the one you are using, if you want it.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D3H
Memory 8,00 Go (7,89 Go utilisable
Video Card(s) GPU 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/ GPU 0 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Display(s) Samsung Q60T
Case Zalman case
Mouse USB NGS
Keyboard Old Dell keyboard
@Ghozer

Does the DTS connect option work? Do you get 5.1 when stereo is played? I'm guessing that's the patched HDA APO?
I have a patched version that is probably newer than the one you are using, if you want it.
Could I have it ?

G502

I'm unable to get this working on Windows 7 using a B550 motherboard. Please see my thread. Any help would be really welcome.

I finally said the heck with tying to make something work on something that wasn't supposed to work on, and ended up buying a Sound Blaster X3. Though it is an external unit, its also the ONLY "newer" unit with REAL 7.1/5.1 output. There is nothing "newer" that Creative makes right now that does not simulate 7.1 only when wearing headphones. It was decently priced, and got all the bells and whistles I was trying to make my board do, only to be upset when one day its working right, and the next I get errors, making more mad then anything, to the point I just went and bought this card.

You can buy cheaper, or more money, but if you are like me, and have a 7.1 set up, you have but the board's audio, this card, but a super cheap 7.1 sound card off ebay that sounds like crap and no real support, at which point the onboard stuff will smoke it with how much better it WILL sound, or downgrade, put in a internal or external, and do but 5.1 and then let your receiver "decode" it to simulate 7.1. I personally, do not like to simulate anything if I do not have to, and be perfectly honest, I have to really say a HUGE thank you to the OP for all the hard work, but thank you for giving me something to try and do, then getting upset, looking for ANY alternative, only to find MY (IMO), perfect solution on the "cheap" going with the X3, for it works so much better for me on so many different levels, I just could not even do with my onboard stuff.

All my games and movies sound correct, I love analog, only way to fly if you want your pc to give you what the developers intended on you hearing, for do not get me started with HDMI and trying to get DD Live going, for that just simulates 5.1/7.1 in your games. Great though if watching a moving with DTSX or Dolby Atmos, so the receiver will be sent the correct signal to decode and make sound right, but you are screwed when playing games for a PC does not decode right in DD Live, as a Xbox or PS will decode and send to your receiver. If you want your games to sound right, at all, you must do 5/7.1 analog, for old, and about 96% of all newer titles on the market.

I hit the Jackpot on goodwill's on line website like ebay, for I scored my white whale, which is a Marantz Sr-5010, with Atmos and all the bells and everything I need including the kitchen sink, ESPECIALLY, being the only 'newer" 4K, Atmos, HDR10, Dolby Vision, DTSX, upscaling everything to 4K including analog signals, but most of all, and go ahead and look, actually has 7.1 ANALOG IN!! Marantz seems to have brought it back, or never gotten rid of that, but up till now, never thought in a million years Id have a new Marantz, let alone be the only maker up to this point when going from 1080P, to 4K, did not drop the ability to do 7.1 analog input. All have the output still, but I sit here all day in my command center, and not longer need to run 2 separate head units, since this one does it all. I refuse to run some crappy Klipsch, or Logitech PC speaker set up, when I love the full control of my sound using a Home Theater amp instead, using my own speakers and sub making my stuff sound really good! :D

To a point my son mostly, and I redid my room around a little bit making use of all my stuff, giving me more room to move around in, even being able to now flip my 50" around for vertical gaming :O :)

So long story short, thanks OP, in a way, you helped me make my room and stuff even better, making my OCD go nuts trying to make this work perfectly, made me also do what I did, giving me even more joy changing all this up and then some, just because I tried your driver to stop me from spending $10 on the real deal. I have now spent a lot more, BUT its a lot better then what it was ;)

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
All my games and movies sound correct, I love analog, only way to fly if you want your pc to give you what the developers intended on you hearing, for do not get me started with HDMI and trying to get DD Live going, for that just simulates 5.1/7.1 in your games. Great though if watching a moving with DTSX or Dolby Atmos, so the receiver will be sent the correct signal to decode and make sound right, but you are screwed when playing games for a PC does not decode right in DD Live, as a Xbox or PS will decode and send to your receiver. If you want your games to sound right, at all, you must do 5/7.1 analog, for old, and about 96% of all newer titles on the market.

DD Live provide discrete 5.1 signals; there is nothing simulated or upscaled in that.
(Its just seriously messy to set it up properly)

Hope you are enjoying the X3; mine is still in shipping, and the delivery people is in quarantine. :(

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Do you have anything I can read that supports this when it comes to gaming, all else is fine, but gaming is sent as 2.0 over DDL, with encoded "stuff" the receiver picks up to try and get the right speaker(s) position for it. Kinda like old DDPLII does, take ALL 2.0 stuff, and decodes it where it thinks the chip is saying to put that sound. Im not disputing the fact you can get 5.1 with ddl, and be right, its when it comes to pc gaming, and not CONSOLE gaming, where ur pc is actually sending a 2.0 through DDL, so your receiver will then decode it where it needs/thinks it to be since it is now simulating 5/7.1 for its not done through analog, and true "GAMING" in TRUE 7/5.1

It would require a uncompressed signal, to do REAL 7/5.1 like a PS and Xbox are able to do. BUT on the pc end of things, best you can do is uncompressed 2.0 through a digital source, like HDMI or SPDIF, WITH and digital source coming from your pc be it onboard HDMI AUDIO or even External/internal SPDIF IN GAMING ONLY. Sad to say but true, so best you can do is if gaming using those cables you will get 2.0 output, and everything from there is simulated in surround.

But I could be wrong and would love to read something that says a HDMI or SPDIF/Optical/Coax and send better then a uncompressed analog source further then 2.0, I would love to read how it does that and eat my words, for this ONLY pertains if you are using your rig for gaming, thinking its in DDL and its true surround, your wrong, and need to go analog and see/hear what you been missing ;)

If HDMI/Optical/Coax/SPDIF did true pc gaming in surround, why is there still analog on the boards, especially 7.1 realtech onboard, if something that new it is on, is too new to put really old OS on it, taking advantage of then having analog, if the digital ends of things are to have made them obsolete? Other then the fairy dust they been sprinkling on the consoles since around OG XBOX, PS2 days, getting uncompressed sound from a game played in said consoles since, they can encode, and decode Dolby true surround, or DTS, and send through a digital cable as such, but to this day, to my knowledge, if it is still PC you are playing games on, and need/want true analog 5/7.1 it must be through analog, not uncompressed stereo 2.0 (all they can do for a PC sound card) simulated as DDL or DTS (something).

BUT I would love to know something has changed that a PC can finally send uncompressed 7.1 like consoles have been doing for a super long time at this point.

Read more in that article, and replies and see ;)

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
ur pc is actually sending a 2.0 through DDL

My PC is sending discrete 5.1 signals to my receiver, I can test that playing any 5.1 test file that cannot be bitstreamed, such as aac, or flac, and seeing the proper speakers being activated. (All audio processors is disabled, such as SBX Surround (Latest label for CMSS) ).
I can even record via WASAPI loopback, using Audacity, the contents of each discrete 5.1 channels coming out of SPDIF, before encoding, and see each channels individual contents and I can hear each channels as it is being recorded in Audacity.

Some games do not like to send 5.1 signals, but that is on the game itself, either it does not have 5.1 contents, or it has bugs preventing it sending the 5.1 signal when using SPDIF; it cannot properly detect that a 5.1 signal can be encoded, and by default only sends stereo.

@Ferather makes Realtek modded drivers that do not get this issue as you have 6 visible speakers for applications to see, and when playing test tones, individual speakers are activated without audio mixing up.

But then for best gaming performance though, analog has real advantages, and is good for your case:
  1. No latency: DD encoding and decoding require audio buffers and these buffers cause some (about 0.1s) audio latency, and they are unavoidable.
  2. Use more CPU cycles: live encoding of a 5.1 signal takes some CPU, and this is CPU time unavailable for game application.

That thread you quoted from is an old thread with some misinformation, and most probably lack of true information. There are replies such as :
You can't get DD with optical.

AH, but see, thats my point, if the GAME, and in its options, does NOT give you the option to select 5.1 or 7.1 surround, it is then sent out no matter what if it says Main vol or Effects as the options, it is sending out in a 2.0 config. Most almost all games will not have in the options (newer games mostly, almost NONE older when digital output is selected), to have you change it around to 5/7.1 surround in options, and how much compression to apply to the audio depending on what it is played on. If the game you are playing lets you set levels like vol, effects, ect, then its a simulated surround from a 2.0 source when its coming out of a PC, again, NOT a console, totally different. But go see how many games you own that in the options like a console game will have lets you set compression and if it stereo, PLII, 5/7.1, there is but a few handful, meaning all the rest of the games then you own, you are missing out. BUT again, I ask, if I am wrong, find me something I can read and go hmmmmm, they changed t finally, and I will eat all my words when it comes to true 5/7.1 surround analog, vs gaming in DDL, stuck at a very few games that allows you freedom of choice as it comes to speaker layout and compression, vs all the many more games without that option that will net you true 5/7.1 surround, but only in analog format. Anyone else feel like jumping in, I would love to read somewhere this has changed for gaming and audio on console like level.

OH and that was in reference to GAMING in DD off a pc, for the first thread is asking why it cannot be done, and if this again is so old tech and EVERY game on the PC will no decode in perfect uncompressed 7/5.1 not needing analog ever again, why is it still on modern sound cards still, or buy?

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
AH, but see, thats my point, if the GAME, and in its options, does NOT give you the option to select 5.1 or 7.1 surround, it is then sent out no matter what if it says Main vol or Effects as the options, it is sending out in a 2.0 config. Most almost all games will not have in the options (newer games mostly, almost NONE older when digital output is selected), to have you change it around to 5/7.1 surround in options, and how much compression to apply to the audio depending on what it is played on. If the game you are playing lets you set levels like vol, effects, ect, then its a simulated surround from a 2.0 source when its coming out of a PC, again, NOT a console, totally different. But go see how many games you own that in the options like a console game will have lets you set compression and if it stereo, PLII, 5/7.1, there is but a few handful, meaning all the rest of the games then you own, you are missing out. BUT again, I ask, if I am wrong, find me something I can read and go hmmmmm, they changed t finally, and I will eat all my words when it comes to true 5/7.1 surround analog, vs gaming in DDL, stuck at a very few games that allows you freedom of choice as it comes to speaker layout and compression, vs all the many more games without that option that will net you true 5/7.1 surround, but only in analog format. Anyone else feel like jumping in, I would love to read somewhere this has changed for gaming and audio on console like level.
Yes mostly right.
Creative DDL feature do have such a bug.
Sound Blaster Omni did have a feature that takes whatever is played back on the analog out, take this signal and DDL encode that, just for those games. You set the analog as 5.1, set that as default output, and start play. The X3 might still have this feature, but I still need to wait for it to reach home.
@Ferather drivers do not suffer from such a situation, the audio endpoint is exposed as a true 5.1 speaker layout. Thus games will by default send a 5.1 signal if it support 5.1.