• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I was just reading an article that said that even with people that took the first shot and the booster the protection might not last very long. A third shot might be necessary later on.

Also it stated that 39% of the people in my country (USA) are fully vaccinated right now.

We had a massive 2nd jab effort over the weekend and have now got half the population done for both jabs, the downside to this effort I suppose is a little less 1st jabs are taking place. Rightly or wrongly the UK has already announced that a Pfizer booster jab will be offered to all 50+ aged people (those that had their current jabs the earliest) during the Autumn and these boosters will include tweaks for known variants.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
A mere 347 new cases today, but another 15 deaths.

Its strange to me that they don't report COVID19 hospitalizations.

Deaths are the most reliable statistic, but they're a month late. By the time the death-rate is going up, the virus was already spreading for a month. #Cases are fast moving, but unreliable. If you don't have enough tests, then you literally can't count the number of people effectively. (And even here in my State, our %Positive went to 30%+ sometimes and our casecount went out-of-whack with reality. So I know for a fact that those case-counts can become unreliable during surges)

Hospitalizations are the happy medium between the two. As long as you have additional hospital beds, the hospitalization count is accurate. Hospitalizations aren't quite as delayed as death counts: they're only delayed by maybe 2 weeks or so (dependent on the culture of course).

You need "many eyes" into the problem, because every statistic has its own flaw. You can't just trust one statistic. If %Positive is low (5% or so), then rely on Case#. If %Positive goes above 5%, switch to hospitalizations. This strategy has been "back-tested" using death# (a month later, when the deaths show up, treat the death# as the ground truth).

Yeah, Death# still has some bits of controversy over. But its the closest thing to reality that tracks the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTC

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Its strange to me that they don't report COVID19 hospitalizations.

Deaths are the most reliable statistic, but they're a month late. By the time the death-rate is going up, the virus was already spreading for a month. #Cases are fast moving, but unreliable. If you don't have enough tests, then you literally can't count the number of people effectively. (And even here in my State, our %Positive went to 30%+ sometimes and our casecount went out-of-whack with reality. So I know for a fact that those case-counts can become unreliable during surges)

Hospitalizations are the happy medium between the two. As long as you have additional hospital beds, the hospitalization count is accurate. Hospitalizations aren't quite as delayed as death counts: they're only delayed by maybe 2 weeks or so (dependent on the culture of course).

You need "many eyes" into the problem, because every statistic has its own flaw. You can't just trust one statistic. If %Positive is low (5% or so), then rely on Case#. If %Positive goes above 5%, switch to hospitalizations. This strategy has been "back-tested" using death# (a month later, when the deaths show up, treat the death# as the ground truth).

Yeah, Death# still has some bits of controversy over. But its the closest thing to reality that tracks the pandemic.
You can try the local CDC.
Reads mostly like the article I linked to.

Looks like it should've been 351, as I missed the four "imported" cases...

You can try the local CDC.
Reads mostly like the article I linked to.

Looks like it should've been 351, as I missed the four "imported" cases...

Yeah, I'm not finding hospitalizations. Hmmm, it seems like there's a general understanding that things are getting worse in Taiwan though. Accuracy isn't too important in the general sense: it doesn't really matter if its spreading +/- 30% faster, its clearly a problem at this point. But better statistics can lead to more targeted lockdowns (ex: which regions are projected to run out of hospital space. Where to set up temporary field hospitals. Etc. etc.)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Doesn't really mean much, but it just shows that people aren't really following the rules.

It's a shame to see this happening. I'm all too familiar with the curve -we had a pretty steep one this year.

Really does appear vaccination is the only way out. Virus is too easily spread to be negated by hygiene and social distancing (the latter of which is impossible long term).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's a shame to see this happening. I'm all too familiar with the curve -we had a pretty steep one this year.

Really does appear vaccination is the only way out. Virus is too easily spread to be negated by hygiene and social distancing (the latter of which is impossible long term).
Well, 1.2 million doses of AZ arrived from Japan today, but that gets the total so far to about 2 million doses in total, for 23million+ people...
It's going to take a while, that's for sure.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
AZ vaccine is just as good as the rest of the WHO approved vaccine. Death and ICU prevention is the most important job of vaccines. As long as it gave human body a fighting chance without medical equipment intervention, our immune system can usually sweep out the virons.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
AZ vaccine is just as good as the rest of the WHO approved vaccine. Death and ICU prevention is the most important job of vaccines. As long as it gave human body a fighting chance without medical equipment intervention, our immune system can usually sweep out the virons.

still, Pfizer and Moderna are able to scale production so much, it's insane how well mRNA can be scaled. I think the world needs a little more time, but we can expect excess doses for the entire world by end of 2022 imo. I think they said 4 billion doses next year? combine that with the other ones that don't scale as fast and you are looking at a supply for entire world by end of 2022. or maybe I did the math wrong. not sure.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
511 new cases and 38 deaths. That's a massive increase in deaths.

It's a weird time to be alive. I honestly think around February/March next year USA will be back to peak 3-5k daily deaths from covid. Vaccine won't last forever, everyone will get complacent (already are, no one wear masks at all where I live for months now... I'm actually only one who still wears mask in grocery store in my town)... lol

Booster shots... won't be able to convince enough people to do that until you have an event of high daily deaths that forces another lockdown, once that happens then people will be like oh ok booster time...

Humans doing human things. /shrug Sucks, but yeah Covid is here to stay forever imo. As I have said before, even if 100% of like 15+ countries got vaccinated, it wouldn't be enough long term. Vaccines wear off, plane travel never stops, it bounces around... short term its going to be great sure, but eventually... as UK is already showing us with the Indian variant, the sneaky little variant always finds a way in...

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
I think this is a bit early to ask but does anyone know if there is intention that the seasonal flu vaccine in this fall will be combined with a covid booster shot? I vaguely recall they say a covid booster won’t be required until at least another 12 months.

My second Moderna is this coming Tuesday. A bit nervous because I was sick for 2 days with the first shot. @lynx29 good thing where I live everyone still wears masks, but don’t businesses where you live require them?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think this is a bit early to ask but does anyone know if there is intention that the seasonal flu vaccine in this fall will be combined with a covid booster shot? I vaguely recall they say a covid booster won’t be required until at least another 12 months.

My second Moderna is this coming Tuesday. A bit nervous because I was sick for 2 days with the first shot. @lynx29 good thing where I live everyone still wears masks, but don’t businesses where you live require them?

nope, my state signed law that no business is required to make masks mandatory anymore... awhile ago actually.

things are 100% back to normal where I live for a couple months now. seems that 60% must be the magic number of vaccinated needed, cause hospitals are not overwhelmed, and no deaths since March for my particular county.

nope, my state signed law that no business is required to make masks mandatory anymore... awhile ago actually.

things are 100% back to normal where I live for a couple months now. seems that 60% must be the magic number of vaccinated needed, cause hospitals are not overwhelmed, and no deaths since March for my particular county.

I think 70% to 80% vaccinated would be the cutoff point In general. Remember that this disease dies to the sun and humidity, so it's safer in the summer.

It's mostly normal at my office now. But masks are on at most commercial areas. Not mandatory, but most people seem to feel safer with masks right now, so no need to rush things imo.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think 70% to 80% vaccinated would be the cutoff point In general. Remember that this disease dies to the sun and humidity, so it's safer in the summer.

It's mostly normal at my office now. But masks are on at most commercial areas. Not mandatory, but most people seem to feel safer with masks right now, so no need to rush things imo.

I think USA should send all vaccines to Taiwan and other hotspots right now. then make it available again in August/September for USA. Those that wanted it got it, those waiting to see long term side effects will wait until Fall, etc. Makes sense to me. and like you said summer time... the virus just doesn't seem to flourish very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
I think USA should send all vaccines to Taiwan and other hotspots right now. then make it available again in August/September for USA. Those that wanted it got it, those waiting to see long term side effects will wait until Fall, etc. Makes sense to me. and like you said summer time... the virus just doesn't seem to flourish very well.
Biden is already signing orders to do just that (75% actually, but still):

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Biden is already signing orders to do just that (75% actually, but still):

that's not what I mean, Biden is only talking about 80 million over a long stretch of time. I mean yank all the doses right now - distribute a few hundred million over night to hotspots. its already been proven from the UK studies you get more antibodies if you delay the second shot of pfizer to a few months instead of a few weeks. so second shotters should wait anyway.

We are at 51% w/ 38% full vax but the original strain hasn't been dominate in months. We have 8 strains and the most prevalent now is a SoAm variant. The variant studies are slowly coming along but the pools for those are even smaller then the original emergency phases. Less then 200 to 12k on some studies.

Vax locations have already started downsizing as well.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
511 new cases and 38 deaths. That's a massive increase in deaths.

Quite a lot of deaths for "so few" daily cases. What's the hospitals "situation": are they overcrowded or very near capacity? Death numbers tend to increase substantially if hospital resources are stretched too thin.

When Portugal was @ it's worst, from a hospitals resources perspective, we had 288 daily deaths average in a week: back then, he had almost all hospitals in the country with over 95% capacity filled, and that's AFTER re-arranging multiple times in order to get more beds for COVID patients (both regular and ICU), to the point that human resources were the biggest problem.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's getting worse, 36 deaths today, but only 343 new cases. Clearly there isn't enough testing being done.

@HTC well, if you read some of the previous links I posted, everyone over 50 is being put into isolation at special facilities, which clearly doesn't seem to help.
Some of the big hospitals are over capacity and they've been moving patients out of the greater Taipei area to hospitals in other parts of the country.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
that's not what I mean, Biden is only talking about 80 million over a long stretch of time. I mean yank all the doses right now - distribute a few hundred million over night to hotspots. its already been proven from the UK studies you get more antibodies if you delay the second shot of pfizer to a few months instead of a few weeks. so second shotters should wait anyway.
Where is he going to get all these doses? It's not like they are lying around in some cold storage facility or is it, and are they physically his to give in the first place. As for the timespan between 1st and 2nd doses, the data that I have seen suggests the optimum period between doses is 8 - 12 weeks and thereafter the benefits are diminished, I had my 2nd exactly 10 weeks after the first, our government was very concerned about going beyond 12 weeks, maybe that was precautionary though.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Where is he going to get all these doses? It's not like they are lying around in some cold storage facility or is it, and are they physically his to give in the first place. As for the timespan between 1st and 2nd doses, the data that I have seen suggests the optimum period between doses is 8 - 12 weeks and thereafter the benefits are diminished, I had my 2nd exactly 10 weeks after the first, our government was very concerned about going beyond 12 weeks, maybe that was precautionary though.
Are you sure about the 8-12 weeks? Everyone in my family has gotten the 2nd dose in 4-5 weeks. My second shot is this coming Tuesday and my first shot was exactly one month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.