• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

two variants in one person... possibility of more likelihood of death... the lady was old and had no vaccine though... so not sure this will amount to anything. something to def keep an eye on though... I wonder what getting the Delta and Delta+ variant at the same time would look like in a double vaccinated person...

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

two variants in one person... possibility of more likelihood of death... the lady was old and had no vaccine though... so not sure this will amount to anything. something to def keep an eye on though... I wonder what getting the Delta and Delta+ variant at the same time would look like in a double vaccinated person...
90 year old woman should have been early in the vaccination path. Any information why she wasn't?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
90 year old woman should have been early in the vaccination path. Any information why she wasn't?

it was in march 2021, and belgium. not sure if they had vaccine access yet then.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Yeah — if you aren’t in one of our first class nations then vaccines are pretty hard to come by. Early buyers cleaned out the market and are, for the most part, just sitting on vaccines that might go unused in this point

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah — if you aren’t in one of our first class nations then vaccines are pretty hard to come by. Early buyers cleaned out the market and are, for the most part, just sitting on vaccines that might go unused in this point

yep, it's really weird we don't have better logistics in place... I feel like there are plenty of vaccines sitting around... there should have been a policy in place that stated, when no one is getting shots anymore you ship 90% of the supply back to Y location, then when all gathered Pfizer/Moderna ship in mass to areas that need it.

edit: how do these people in power make six figure salaries again? I find it really odd... LOL

Ahhzz

Staff member
yep, it's really weird we don't have better logistics in place... I feel like there are plenty of vaccines sitting around... there should have been a policy in place that stated, when no one is getting shots anymore you ship 90% of the supply back to Y location, then when all gathered Pfizer/Moderna ship in mass to areas that need it.
Ah, but that assumes that humans aren't selfish. the last few years have reinforced that fallacy in my mind over and over....

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Ah, but that assumes that humans aren't selfish. the last few years have reinforced that fallacy in my mind over and over....

I disagree with this, I think it's more lazy bureaucratic oversight more than anything.

Ahhzz

Staff member
Anyone wanna guess what the new R0 is of Delta?

COVID19 was originally an R0 of 3-ish. Alpha was over 50% more transmissible, and Delta is 50% more transmissible than that. Are we really looking at R0 of 6 to 8? If that's the case, then we'll need 85ish% effective vaccination rates to prevent the exponential growth of Delta. Not 85% vaccinated, but "effective" vaccinated (because the mRNA vaccines are only 80% effective at preventing transmission IIRC).

As we can see, that's a problem for herd immunity: it seems like Delta has removed herd immunity as an option. Fortunately, Plan B is "get vaccinated so that you don't go into the hospital" (which still seems to work: vaccinations prevent something like 90%+ of hospitalizations and deaths). So either way, vaccinations are our answer, but we may not be able to stop the next wave. Depending of course, on how bad R0 of Delta really is (no one really can test that until after-the-fact).

Assuming we can reach 70%ish effective vaccination rates, we're good for up to R0 of 3.33 or so. By current estimates, I'm pretty sure that Delta is beyond R0 of 3.33, though how much so is up to speculation.

edit: how do these people in power make six figure salaries again? I find it really odd... LOL

That's less efficient than "not shipping vaccines from the factory".

If you have a supply chain from A -> B -> C -> D, where A is making say 1-million vaccines a week, B is a hub receiving 100,000 vaccines a week, C is a hub receiving 10,000 vaccines a week, and D is your final pharmacy or whatever receiving 1000 vaccines a week (A distributes the 1-million vaccines to 10 states, the 10 states distributes the vaccines to 100 warehouses, and the 100 warehouses distributes the vaccines to 1000 pharmacies), then there's no point shipping things backwards.

You instead, just redirect A to ship things to a new location. Furthermore, the supply chains do not work in reverse: its very easy to open a pallet, but it takes extremely specialized equipment to package a pallet. Furthermore, A has quality controls ensuring that the temperature of all vaccines stayed at the -80C or -30C temperatures across the supply chain.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Plan B is "get vaccinated so that you don't go into the hospital" (which still seems to work: vaccinations prevent something like 90%+ of hospitalizations and deaths).
I said this months ago. PCR tests aren't worth crap on airplanes/international travel, the virus sneaks in anyway, and since nation states are too dumb to realize this, its only logical to conclude covid will never end.

That's less efficient than "not shipping vaccines from the factory".

If you have a supply chain from A -> B -> C -> D, where A is making say 1-million vaccines a week, B is a hub receiving 100,000 vaccines a week, C is a hub receiving 10,000 vaccines a week, and D is your final pharmacy or whatever receiving 1000 vaccines a week (A distributes the 1-million vaccines to 10 states, the 10 states distributes the vaccines to 100 warehouses, and the 100 warehouses distributes the vaccines to 1000 pharmacies), then there's no point shipping things backwards.

You instead, just redirect A to ship things to a new location. Furthermore, the supply chains do not work in reverse: its very easy to open a pallet, but it takes extremely specialized equipment to package a pallet. Furthermore, A has quality controls ensuring that the temperature of all vaccines stayed at the -80C or -30C temperatures across the supply chain.

seriously, you already spent 6 trillion, can't spend 1 billion more in shipping costs?

seriously, you already spent 6 trillion, can't spend 1 billion more in shipping costs?

Palletizer machines exist in "A", the factory. Intermediate warehouses, such as "B and C" only have forklifts: they are only designed to move pallets (and maybe C just opens pallets since D (pharmacies) don't use enough vaccine to warrant a full pallet delivery).

Your proposal is to somehow "magically" give palletizer machines to D: the pharmacies. Unfortunately, logistics just doesn't work like that. Palletizer machines cost millions of dollars and are only efficient in one direction (that is: packaging things at the factory when all those boxes are in order, and are inefficient at packaging everywhere else). Furthermore: we can't just deploy palletizer machines everywhere: they need to be temperature controlled palletizer machines because these vaccines go bad once they leave -80C or -30C temperatures.

Furthermore: D (pharmacies) don't have -30C refrigerators. They're likely being shipped out with dry-ice which expires in a few weeks. There's literally not enough dry ice to even make the return trip to the factory.

-------------

There's no way to reasonably expect for pharmacies to return the vaccines under the temperature conditions + packaging conditions needed for mass logistics (that is: in pallets at guaranteed temperatures of -80C). No amount of money can solve the literally impossible request. Pharmacies don't have the space for palletizer machines, they don't have the staff who understand how to work, maintain, or configure them. They don't have the temperature controls, they don't have anything at all.

Once distributed, the vaccines stay at the endpoint. Logistics is NOT an easy problem at all.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Your proposal is to somehow "magically" give palletizer machines to D: the pharmacies.

the leftover vaccines probably aren't enough to require that machine for your average pharmacy. should be a simple matter of frozen trucks picking up supplies, setting their internal temp to -16 inside the truck storage (which is possible, they do it with other frozen goods on certain specialized semi's)

then that semi can travel to capital city airport where they are all gathered together and flown somewhere overnight.

-80 celsius is an outdated notion. Pfizer already announced a long time ago they can be stored for 1 month at -16 or so just like moderna.

1626210258830.png

Washington Post's COVID19 tracker. Last time I posted, only two states seemed to have dramatic swings upwards. Now the top 5 states all look like they've swung up in COVID19 cases (probably Delta). There's an average of +105% cases across the country: but most states remain safely under 10 cases/day per 100,000 residents (USA's average remains at 7). Nothing to worry about yet, but clearly a disturbing trend.

We know the pipeline at this point: cases turn into hospitalizations, hospitalizations turn into deaths, with a couple weeks of delay. However, we have large sections of our population vaccinated (although less so for these states: Arkansas is still over 30% vaccinated), which should cut down the death / hospitalization rates by a good chunk. How bad this next wave is going to be is anyone's guess... but its clear that the more vaccine your fellow citizens have taken in your area, the safer you'll be.

Anyone who hasn't taken the vaccine (and I know there's lots of you!!!), here's your chance to get ahead of the wave. Delta hasn't really begun to spread yet, and there's plenty of vaccines available all around the country. It takes over a month before the vaccine fully kicks in however. But... even partial vaccination will help you out in case the "Delta" wave comes to your neighborhood.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'm actually getting my second shot tomorrow. Here is to hoping I don't get myocardia, but myocardia is better than dying I suppose. :toast:
FWIW, I suffer from a heart condition (Wolf Parkinsons White) and I was told no question, still get the vaccine, and both of them.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
FWIW, I suffer from a hearth condition (Wolf Parkinsons White) and I was told no question, still get the vaccine, and both of them.

Yeah, I am not to worried about it anymore. Mainly doing it because Covid almost killed me as I mentioned before in November. Fear is powerful, that is only reason it took me so long... for both shots. lol

I'm ready now though and I am within the 6 weeks the CDC still says the second shot is effective, so it's all good.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I'm actually getting my second shot tomorrow. Here is to hoping I don't get myocardia, but myocardia is better than dying I suppose. :toast:

The chances of myocardia are rare from what I've read. There have been around 1,000 cases reported but compared to the hundreds of millions of vaccinated people the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor of being fine.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The chances of myocardia are rare from what I've read. There have been around 1,000 cases reported but compared to the hundreds of millions of vaccinated people the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor of being fine.

yep, and I believe those 1000 people are just given a beta blocker I believe to treat it? can't remember, but I think i read that. turns out I already take a beta blocker... so I am sitting good. lol

1626366162614.png

In my state, confirmed cases has climbed above +100 / day, and %Positive is now above 1%. Hospitalizations hit 97 (just below 100) a couple of weeks ago, but have slightly ticked up since then to 132 hospitalizations.

Despite being one of the most vaccinated states in the USA, we're still seeing an uptick in cases around here. Seems like Delta is pretty serious. Again: these numbers are still superb, nothing to "fear" quite yet. What worries me is the trend. And a big question is how will the worse-vaccinated states fare in the next few weeks?

Reactions: HTC

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Portugal has reached 60% with 1st dose and is @ 39.9% with full vaccination, and yet we're in the middle of a 4th wave, with 3.5K to 4K+ new daily cases (the equivalent of 112K to 128K+ new daily cases in USA, when accounting for population difference).

Thankfully, our daily death toll is STILL in single digit, though it has been increasing these last few weeks. Also, during the 1st time we had such high new daily case numbers, we had WAY HIGHER hospitalized AND ICU numbers than we do now: 3 to 4 times more, back then.

A testament to the vaccines efficacy in protecting those most vulnerable.

TWP: WHO clarifies details of early covid patients in Wuhan after errors in virus report

The agency confirmed that the earliest official case, Patient S01, was a 41-year-old man, with virus genome sequences EPI_ISL_403930, MT019531, and GWHABKH00000001 in various databases. The report had listed a different sequence, belonging to a 61-year-old man, which Jasarevic called an editing error.

Jasarevic said the WHO is still looking into why the official China National Genomics Data Center (NGDC) database says Patient S01 began to exhibit symptoms on Dec. 16, 2019, a week later than the Dec. 8 onset recorded in the WHO report.

The lack of clarity on Patient S01 introduces the possibility that the earliest official case could have been someone different, with the WHO report mentioning a Huanan market seafood vendor and others who began exhibiting symptoms before Dec. 16.

The WHO, however, also clarified that the first family cluster of infections in Wuhan had no exposure to the Huanan seafood market, although a woman in the group had been to other markets. The report previously gave conflicting information in different sections about the family’s links to the market.
Jasarevic said sequence IDs will be corrected for two other patients in the report. S05 was a 61-year-old man who died, with genome sequence EPI_ISL_403928, and S11 was a 52-year-old woman with sequence EPI_ISL_403929, he said.

Obvi
After the report was published, even the WHO’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed concern about China’s level of transparency and called for a more thorough investigation.

Sigh

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Here we go again, ignoring the fact cases existed prior to the Wuhan outbreak in a finger pointing exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.