• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Releases Statement on GP-P850GM & GP-P750GM PSUs

x570 vs x570s is two different chipsets, not revisions. What's he's talking about is the same board from gigabyte having sometimes upwards of 6 revisions within a year. THAT is not normal. That is poor QC beta quality boards being sold as final products. One or two revisions is one thing, but 5-6 was ridiculous even 20 years ago when QC was non existent compared to today.
X570S is a revision. Nothing more. It's not a brand new chipset. Can you give me examples of those 6 revisions. The most i've seen thus far is two. Sounds more like an urban legend to fit the narrative.

How many users even on TPU need 80+ Gold/platinum/titanium PSU rated for 750-850W or more? Also it's not exactly cheap!

Everyone should needs gold/platinum/titanium since it measures efficiency and you want an efficient psu to save on the power bill and the planet!

As for 750-850w, with current gpu's and what seems to be coming next gen yeah, seems more and more people will need at least 750w than it once was the norm. Maybe in 2 or 3 generations we invert the trend, next gen should be 4k high fps so after that I'd think companies will start working on efficiency again

X570S is a revision. Nothing more. It's not a brand new chipset. Can you give me examples of those 6 revisions. The most i've seen thus far is two. Sounds more like an urban legend to fit the narrative.
and during a silicon shortage where work arounds need to be found for missing parts no less. At least they announce/list the new revision, contrary to other companies who produce crappy cheaper garbage revisions silently (coffcoff**adata**coffcoff)

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
How many users even on TPU need 80+ Gold/platinum/titanium PSU rated for 750-850W or more? Also it's not exactly cheap!
At least one, me.
x570 vs x570s is two different chipsets, not revisions
Really? I thought that X570S was just X570 tweaked a bit to have lower power consumption.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I have an eligible GP-P850GM still in shrink ramp from when I got it with a newegg combo in 2020. I guess i'll do the replacement, I didn't want to use it for anything because the reviews on these units was so bad, I guess the replacement should be better?

Best I would use it for would just be for a base power up test on a system to see if it posts: MB, 1 stick of RAM, OS drive (not really needed) and low-end GPU (if onboard isn't available) to get video on the monitor.

Even then I probably would just dump the damn thing in the trash based on the reviews I've read about them.

For me, I don't trust or distrust any brand as a whole. Everybody has made shoddy parts. Need to review each part with blinders on. Choose based on the specifics of each part regardless of the brands past sins or wins.

I don't know. I still won't give Razer any of my money based on one purchase and complete failure of the product.

I think it backs my decision when my younger brother purchased a Razer headset because the cheap one he was using becomes uncomfortable after 30 minutes of game play.
Cheap headset was uncomfortable, but only cost around $25. Mic audio was amazing on it.
$80+ Razer headset he says is much more comfortable, but he sounds like a 12 year old, nasally. He's messed with so many settings and still sounds like a nasally, 12 year old. He hates the forced software and there are so many options (according to him) to adjust audio and mic levels that he's become irritated with the mic performance.
I just laugh at him every time I hear him talk through that headset. He's pissed he spent that money and it sounds like shit. He's tried tweaks he's found online and nothing works.

Ha! I tell him to get something that's not Razer or Turtle Beach.

Last edited:
The reason they catch fire is because the OPP is set far too high (150%) for the quality of the components used, they can barely handle 100% of the rated load for periods that should be considered "normal operation"

There's also the additional "problem" that current components have large power spikes very often, if the components used are subpar and they are using a large opp threshhold it's bound to come into problems.

But even ignoring these problems, the psu's blew up, even killed a 3080 during gamers nexus limited sample. There is such a thing called failing gracefully, this sure ain't it!

Really? I thought that X570S was just X570 tweaked a bit to have lower power consumption.
I already read both version and I really don't know. Asus didn't even call it x570s in their new boards sticking with x570, but then why not simply release a bios update to the old boards?

They had reputable boards during AM3+ but after that I dont trust them.

Not to mention look at all the revisions their boards go through
I still have my MA790XT-UD4P and it still works fine to this day. Thing was built to last and handled a 1090T at 4GHz/1.45V just fine for years. I wouldn't touch their motherboards these days though. They fell so far behind the other manufacturers in terms of their UEFI. I hear it's a bit better in the past couple of years, but I still see no reason to pick them over other brands.

This statement is an absolute joke too.

I still have my MA790XT-UD4P and it still works fine to this day. Thing was built to last and handled a 1090T at 4GHz/1.45V just fine for years. I wouldn't touch their motherboards these days though. They fell so far behind the other manufacturers in terms of their UEFI. I hear it's a bit better in the past couple of years, but I still see no reason to pick them over other brands.

This statement is an absolute joke too.
ASUS has the best BIOS in terms of UI. EVGA for features. MSI and Gigabyte are ok. AsRock's is the worst. Atleast for me it's very confusing for some reason.
Like i said eralier. Each manfucaturer has better and worse series. For example MSI might be great with one chipset but the worst with other. Past experiences do not matter much in this regard. Buyers should always read and watch reviews to decide if what they're buying is a good product regardless iof the manufacturer.

That being said there are some manufacturers that i avoid myself. But only because i always hear problems with them with every model and these are not just some one off problems. For example Seagate HDD's, Creative soundcards or some lower end PSU manufacturers.

Everyone should needs gold/platinum/titanium since it measures efficiency and you want an efficient psu to save on the power bill and the planet!
That's beside the point, it was more about needing PSUs rated for 750-850W loads ~ which I'm pretty sure less than 50% users on TPU actually have the need for, probably only 20-25% out (or less) in the real world.
At least one, me.
Yes noted.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Companies will never stop bullshit like this until people decide that they can do without and just don't fucking buy it.. Same for these high prices for GPU's.. It is bullshit!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I've never really been a Gigabyte fan. I bought an ATI/Gigabyte gpu which turned out to be a horrible overclocker, I think I could only get another 17 mhz.And it had an ugly blue pcb. Not really a good reason to blacklist a company,but I have shied away from them ever since.

That being said, I actually applaud this press release. They directly addressed the problem. Every single product out there is a compromise, sometimes product targets are off a bit. To be honest I am much more likely to choose one of their PSU's now then before, because I know they had to research the problem.

p.s. Has their been any actual users reporting explosions? Or is this all based on review failures?
Sapphire had a blue PCB as well

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
ASUS has the best BIOS in terms of UI. EVGA for features. MSI and Gigabyte are ok. AsRock's is the worst. Atleast for me it's very confusing for some reason.
Like i said eralier. Each manfucaturer has better and worse series. For example MSI might be great with one chipset but the worst with other. Past experiences do not matter much in this regard. Buyers should always read and watch reviews to decide if what they're buying is a good product regardless iof the manufacturer.

That being said there are some manufacturers that i avoid myself. But only because i always hear problems with them with every model and these are not just some one off problems. For example Seagate HDD's, Creative soundcards or some lower end PSU manufacturers.

While i agree that researching any component purchase is always best practice and should be common sense(emphasis on should).
If you forget to factor in technical and customer service. All your research is for naught when that inevitable failure occurs and youve forgotten to research a companies track record with tech support and rma service(cs). Whoops, now i have to drop a couple grand on a new gpu because my client HAS to have his system and cant wait 4 to 6 weeks for the rma!
Having said that, surprisingly, ive had really solid experiences with Gigabytes customer service in the past but that doesn't change how i view their products. After seeing their reactions to this and other mb issues in the last year. They have succeeded in placing themselves firmly at the bottom of my trusted vendor list. For one, having to use a companies rma service at all is a huge factor in how i make hardware choices. Nearly as important as how well or poorly they deal with those rmas.

If Gigabyte wasnt being completely tone deaf and a typical greedy corporation, they would simply recall this failure. Apologize for this absolute flop of an excuse. Refund their customers money and take the tiny hit to their bottom line. gasp They could recoup some overall customer trust AND some all important customer loyalty. Then bury this mess once and for all.

At least one, me.

Yes because "x570" was... chipset for inner use of AMD labs and was putted with minimal finishing to consumers because ASMedia which was ordered to design entire chipset did not cope with the task. However, some technologies of this company were used in the chipset.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
That's beside the point, it was more about needing PSUs rated for 750-850W loads ~ which I'm pretty sure less than 50% users on TPU actually have the need for, probably only 20-25% out (or less) in the real world.

Yes noted.

Actually it's pretty wise to choose a "overprovisioned" PSU with around 1/3 more watts that you actually need. That way you do not run into OPP limits, reduce stress on the PSU components, less fan noise & you get better power efficency. Plus, like many do not know, the PSU will degrade over time of use, resulting in less and less power you will get out of your PSU, which can/will result in stability problems & in the worst case damaged PC components. ;)

Gigabytes response is nothing more as PR bullsh*t. They cheaped out on the hardware & their fix for it is a "software update", lmao! But what I find the most upsetting is the the side note discovery from the "Gamers Nexus" video. Different componments in every of their PSU's. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you get. Makes basically every review of their PSU's null & void.

Back in the days I bought a Enermax PSU for my new rig, put everything together, but the PC wouldn't start. Tried it again on the wall socket in a different room where it triggered the main house fuse. Switched it back on & tried again to fire my rig up, resulting in a loud bang & sparks flying out from the back of the PSU. Luckly no components damaged. Sent it back for replacement/repair (took 6 weeks), bought in the meanwhile a replacement from BeQuiet (which is now more than 10 years old still runs flawless in my retired rig). The Enermax on the other hand (which I put on a shelf in the attic) was, as a relative needed one years later, still dead. Since then Enermax & the retailer is on my personal blacklist. :mad:

Never cheap out on the PSU, it's the backbone of your PC & can make or break your rig. I would personally only buy PSU's from brands who make their main money with PSU's, who know their business & have a name to loose. BeQuiet is it, Seasonic is also a solid choice. Corsair is out of the game, since they jumped on the manufactured Single Rail hype train, which is only of interrest for extreme overclockers. For normal users it's nothing more than a fire hazard. Btw. here's a little Single Rail experiment:

Its just amazing how Gigabyte have carved a big space in the PSU market only to have all that go away due to cheaply built PSU from a questionable OEM, they should have just rebranded a Seasonic or a CWT platform like most do, its safe and a company like Gigabyte can afford that ten time over

Make more profit by expanding.

However PSU's are serious. We had a time where people would buy ATX cases and have a sub-b 500W psu build inside of it for just 29.95$ all-in. You had many people assembling a high end system and usually within 2 weeks the PSU blew out completely. They cant carry the sustained load, the specs are advertised as "peak" and not sustained and these things where not build for best efficiency either.

You cant skimp out on a PSU. It's like the tires on your car. Luckily PSU's over the year became better and better and the quality usually can last up to years now. I still run on a Antec 750W PSU which is just pure quality components. It survived a FX 8320 at 4.8GHz with 6HDD's and a triple crossfire setup. These things are worth every penny you throw at it.

I wonder which EU and US agencies gave them certificates?

Otherwise, it's pure bull. Skimming on quality with electrical components and designs is guaranteed to backfire, often literally.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
reducing it by a couple watts to 120%...
some units blew up at 60% load.

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
I would personally only buy PSU's from brands who make their main money with PSU's, who know their business & have a name to loose. BeQuiet is it, Seasonic is also a solid choice. Corsair is out of the game, since they jumped on the manufactured Single Rail hype train, which is only of interrest for extreme overclockers. For normal users it's nothing more than a fire hazard. Btw. here's a little Single Rail experiment:
Never ever EVER buy PSUs based on brands. A Seasonic Prime is vastly superior to a Seasonic S12III.

Side note, I thought Seasonic was single-rail only and Corsair did multi-rail? I'm not certain.
@jonnyGURU probably does though.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
x570 vs x570s is two different chipsets, not revisions. What's he's talking about is the same board from gigabyte having sometimes upwards of 6 revisions within a year. THAT is not normal. That is poor QC beta quality boards being sold as final products. One or two revisions is one thing, but 5-6 was ridiculous even 20 years ago when QC was non existent compared to today.

AFAIK, X570S is simply a denomination for silent (fanless) implementations of the X570 chipset. It is not a new, separate product.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
AFAIK, X570S is simply a denomination for silent (fanless) implementations of the X570 chipset. It is not a new, separate product.
Sort of is... new boards have new power stages and components.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Never ever EVER buy PSUs based on brands. A Seasonic Prime is vastly superior to a Seasonic S12III.

Side note, I thought Seasonic was single-rail only and Corsair did multi-rail? I'm not certain.
@jonnyGURU probably does though.

That's true. :) But the chances to fall for a bad product are smaller. Always check reviews before purchase.

Dam, you're right. Just did some research & it looks like Seasonic is now using only single rail. Tried to find a list of Single/Multi Rail PSU's, but no luck. However, I found out that there are right now 14 PSU's on the market where you can switch between single & multi rail (from BeQuiet, Corsair & Cooler Master), which is also a nice 3rd option.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
LOL Gigabyte, trying to justify exploding PSU's

System Name Jamesbondosaurus
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75ghz PBO
Motherboard MSI B550i MPG Gaming Edge MAX Wifi
Cooling Arctic Esport Duo White / Black
Memory Patriot Viper Steel @ 3733 C16
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070
Storage 120GB PNY CS900. 1TB Crucial BX500. 1TB WD Blue M.2. 8TB WD Red HDD.
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Phanteks P200A PE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III
Mouse G305
Keyboard Some cheap mechanical keeb
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Like 5 FPS if I play Dying Light 2 at 8K.
I happen to still have a very old Gigabyte PSU laying around. The ODIN PLUS 550w, not even efficiency rated but never died, I guess Gigabyte don't like customers anymore.

I happen to still have a very old Gigabyte PSU laying around. The ODIN PLUS 550w, not even efficiency rated but never died, I guess Gigabyte don't like customers anymore.
Its only these new models that have issues, reviewers said that previous Gigabyte PSUs are fine cause they are built by reputable OEMs, these however are built by MEIC, which not a big name and arent good in the PSU space