• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two Dead Samsung TVs in 5 years?

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I never ever buy an extended warrantee on the grounds that they would not offer it if they did not make money from it.
I skip them as well but some club store will add anywhere from one to four years to your warranty if you purchase from them and/or use their rewards card for the purchase.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
The way most products are made these days, "even in the AC business" I will probably be buying the 4 year warranty from Best Buy on my next TV purchase.

Nah not me. I just pump that extra money into a new TV as they get outdated fairly quickly.

The salesman did try his best though..

System Name The Worker/ Laptop
Processor Ryzen 5 3600/ i5 1035g1
Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max / Lenovo proprietary
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSport One
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair vengeance LPX / 12gb ddr4 3200Mhz (4gb are soldered :( )
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 1660 Ti OC @2030Mhz core and 7400Mhz memory / Intel G1 UHD
Storage 1 970Evo plus 500gb, 2x250Gb Samsung 850 Evo,3 TB HDD / 250gb WD SN530
Display(s) Asus mx259h / 15.6 FHD TN
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster G750M
Software W10 64bit
Hey guys I have my sharp aquos quattron that suddenly started to switch on and off repeatedly after a given amount of time from 5 to 30 minutes (like if it overheats). The TV has been used for the last 8 or 9 years as main one and just about a month ago when we replaced it, it started to show this issue.
I mean it was working fine, then it was moved into the basement and the issue appeared. What could be? I suspect a bad psu but at first I thought it had to do with the tv stick I attached to its, but it does it in every mode, maybe except when watching standard television programs

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Bad luck or bad manufacturing? Im of the mind that the latter fits the bill!

I've come to the conclusion that Samsung tvs are junk. I've just found that my less than 2yo 43in 4k uhd led Samsuck(to angry to bother looking for the model number right now) bedroom stupid tv has a dieing power supply board. When i hit the power button it flashes red several times but doesn't turn on. If i hit the power button over and over i can eventually get it to turn on(not aggravating at all). Who knows how many times this will work? Btw, this is a replacement unit for another Samsung 43in LCD tv that has a dead motherboard. One day poof, nothing, no power. Wouldn't turn on. I forget how i found out the mb was bad($35 part). This one only lasted about 3 years. I thought this first one was just bad luck and a one off instance so i went with another Samsung oops! Shoulda bought the warranty!
They were both connected to the same apc surge strip that i bought new with the first tv and connected to the same outlet. Im buying a cyberpower 650va ups tomorrow to rule that out as a possible point of failure. We may have lost power once in the last ten years so its doubtful the strip is causing the deaths but i may as well cover my bases. The outlet is fine as far as the wiring is concerned. My sub, sound bar, cable box and air filter are all running fine on the same surge suppressor but who knows. Shrug, i have no idea what may have caused two tvs to up and die like this. One 3yo and the other 2yo.
I've never had a tv die before these! I still have a Sony Vega 260lb monstrosity in the basement that works like a charm...and its like 20 or 25 years old(sob is to heavy to get rid of ugh).
If you have any ideas as to what may be causing these failures im all ears. I NEVER want this to happen again.

Ill likely be getting a new tv tomorrow but i wont forgo the extended warranty this time. 4yrs sounds good.

I know how to fix both of them and i will at some point thanks to YouTube :p but i don't trust either of them for anything more than spare bedroom or basement tvs. So there goes a cool grand in useless electronics not including the replacement parts and the time and aggravation in fixing them grrr
Thanks for looking!
Well too me sounds like bad luck as my samsungs have been pretty reliable. Albeit, it could be a particular model. Boards are pretty easy to swap on them and can be had on ebay cheap (Not defending them failing and being easy to fix just pointing out). I have replaced a bunch of boards on different models in the past (Mostly visio and Element), my only samsung issue I have had was a backlight going out in a TV my friend bought new 1.5 years into owning it. He bought a new one and sold it to me and I have fixed it since.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
FWIW, I have 9 Sammy tubes in my house right now, 3 of which are actual pc monitors, ranging in size from 27-70", and the oldest of which is 6 years.... nevanottaproblemo from any of them...

I also own 6 sammy appliances (fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, gas range, dishwasher) same deal...

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Well i don't know what to say. I left it on for the last 36hrs for fear that it wouldn't come back on. Went and bought a Sony x80j 43in and cyberpower 650va sx650u sine wave ups, hooked them all up. Got the google shite set up and cable box connected(tv looks friggin great). Took the Samsung into the basement and plugged it in... and it fing works! On off, on off several times, no problem(something i had literally never done before now, being that it would get turned on before i went to sleep and turned off until the next evening). Before i tried turning it back on upstairs i connected it directly to the wall no surge strip and it still did the red light blinking crap. While everything else worked fine and still does.
The only thing i can think of is i left it off overnight when it stopped working. So maybe there was a power glitch that didn't reset the clocks or something? Or maybe its a cold boot issue? WTF!?

Im going to leave it overnight and see if the cold boot theory bears fruit when i try it tomorrow.

TY for all of the responses! Lots of solid info to ponder.
Do i keep this sweet Sony or keep the unreliable Samsung? $600 is a chunk o change...

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I'd be inclined to test the outlet if you have a meter or even just plug an old incandescent lightbulb in and see if there's anything strange.

System Name DadsBadAss
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
FWIW, I have 9 Sammy tubes in my house right now, 3 of which are actual pc monitors, ranging in size from 27-70", and the oldest of which is 6 years.... nevanottaproblemo from any of them...

I also own 6 sammy appliances (fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, gas range, dishwasher) same deal...
I hear ya. Prior to going with these Samsung tvs i was really happy with my Samsung purchases.
I've currently got a Samsung fridge, 55in curved screen hdtv in the livingroom and of course 32gigs of b-die in my main rig and more m.2s than i can remember haha.

The model# for those wondering is un43ru7100fxza
Capacitors?
Not certain until or if i pull the back panel. Most likely ill just replace the entire power supply board if need be.
I've got a Hisesne 65HF8 that I got pretty cheap last xmas. The rtings is pretty good, it's great for movies. The android interface is decent but it can be slow, like the cpu is too slow. It generally works good but lags out from time to time. I was willing to put up with this for the screen size/price and ofc being able to run whatever android apps. Our main tv is controlled by a Shield and that thing is like using a high end android device and the Hisense is like a cheap droid to give you an idea.
I saw some reviews at rtings.com about the Hisense 55 and 65in models that were excellent while i was researching 43in models but they didn't have anything smaller in that class. It really got my hopes up but it seems that 40-43in models are afterthoughts in most lineups. Unless you want to spend a grand on a tv your going to watch a few hrs a week.
The way most products are made these days, "even in the AC business" I will probably be buying the 4 year warranty from Best Buy on my next TV purchase.
Couldnt agree more. 5yr warranty for me. Ive never bought an extended warranty in my life but this experience has changed my outlook some lol.
I'd be inclined to test the outlet if you have a meter or even just plug an old incandescent lightbulb in and see if there's anything strange.
I actually had my buddy come over and test all 4 of the outlets in the room when i found the tv was jacked up. He even went downstairs and checked the breakers. He said everything looked good.

I have an old Samsung series 4 40" plasma TV & a Samsung microwave oven, both over a decade old. Still working perfectly to this day!

System Name DadsBadAss
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win11pro
well it may in fact be a cold bug after all. i put the tv in front of the a/c vent for a few hours and once again no power, just blinking red light. so i suppose ill have to operate afterall.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Not certain until or if i pull the back panel. Most likely ill just replace the entire power supply board if need be.

I prefer to replace the low voltage power supply capacitors with the best low ESR capacitors I can find as one can then end up with a supply that may last even longer than a new one.

System Name DadsBadAss
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win11pro
I have a SS TV here and a RCA and Hitachi all flat, all over 10 yo, no problems

Yeah, have an old Panasonic well over 13 years. 32" TV with built-in satellite decoder.

I prefer to replace the low voltage power supply capacitors with the best low ESR capacitors I can find as one can then end up with a supply that may last even longer than a new one.

That's why I chose Panasonic. They make some of the best capacitors so I would expect them in all they products..

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I normally buy Panasonic also, have always owned tough books for work but when I was buying my most recent TV looking at the reviews alot of the modern TV's seem to be lacking quality in certain areas maybe parts they outsourced.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Just had a 65" Samsung 4K TV back light go. Not even 4 years old.

Had an LG before that and that was solid for 5 years. Shouldn't have gotten rid of it.

Just replaced the Samsung with a LG OLED.

Not buying a Samsung TV in a hurry for the time being.
Backlight died on my Samsung as well. It was after 8+ years, but still, LEDs are supposed to live forever. Also moved to LG CX. So far, so good.

What I really didn't like about Samsung is how they drop (software) features left and right, once they decide they don't feel like supporting them anymore. Skype, YouTube, anything about 3D, all gone, to name just a few.

Bad luck or bad manufacturing? Im of the mind that the latter fits the bill!

I've come to the conclusion that Samsung tvs are junk. I've just found that my less than 2yo 43in 4k uhd led Samsuck(to angry to bother looking for the model number right now) bedroom stupid tv has a dieing power supply board. When i hit the power button it flashes red several times but doesn't turn on. If i hit the power button over and over i can eventually get it to turn on(not aggravating at all). Who knows how many times this will work? Btw, this is a replacement unit for another Samsung 43in LCD tv that has a dead motherboard. One day poof, nothing, no power. Wouldn't turn on. I forget how i found out the mb was bad($35 part). This one only lasted about 3 years. I thought this first one was just bad luck and a one off instance so i went with another Samsung oops! Shoulda bought the warranty!
They were both connected to the same apc surge strip that i bought new with the first tv and connected to the same outlet. Im buying a cyberpower 650va ups tomorrow to rule that out as a possible point of failure. We may have lost power once in the last ten years so its doubtful the strip is causing the deaths but i may as well cover my bases. The outlet is fine as far as the wiring is concerned. My sub, sound bar, cable box and air filter are all running fine on the same surge suppressor but who knows. Shrug, i have no idea what may have caused two tvs to up and die like this. One 3yo and the other 2yo.
I've never had a tv die before these! I still have a Sony Vega 260lb monstrosity in the basement that works like a charm...and its like 20 or 25 years old(sob is to heavy to get rid of ugh).
If you have any ideas as to what may be causing these failures im all ears. I NEVER want this to happen again.

Ill likely be getting a new tv tomorrow but i wont forgo the extended warranty this time. 4yrs sounds good.

I know how to fix both of them and i will at some point thanks to YouTube :p but i don't trust either of them for anything more than spare bedroom or basement tvs. So there goes a cool grand in useless electronics not including the replacement parts and the time and aggravation in fixing them grrr
Thanks for looking!
Same here. Bought one and it died in 2.5 years. I had to service it and changed the leds. Reflector is still damaged.

Backlight died on my Samsung as well. It was after 8+ years, but still, LEDs are supposed to live forever. Also moved to LG CX. So far, so good.

What I really didn't like about Samsung is how they drop (software) features left and right, once they decide they don't feel like supporting them anymore. Skype, YouTube, anything about 3D, all gone, to name just a few.

Have it repaired, it's just a backlight. I need to change the LED'S on my TV too, picture is not as bright as it used to be, so yeah have to fix within the next six years., but it's still more than watchable.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Have it repaired, it's just a backlight. I need to change the LED'S on my TV too, picture is not as bright as it used to be, so yeah have to fix within the next six years., but it's still more than watchable.
I mean, the whole upper half doesn't light up anymore. Either way, the problem is moot, my CX is now 1 year old.

I mean, the whole upper half doesn't light up anymore. Either way, the problem is moot, my CX is now 1 year old.

They sometimes say the older stuff is better. Knowing my luck, I go & buy the latest TV & it breaks down just when the warranty has expired.
I sometimes think some modern stuff are built this way to increase profit. The OP says it all, that enough for me to stay where I am. Don't have time to lumber large TVs around sending them back.

Last edited:
System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
I skip them as well but some club store will add anywhere from one to four years to your warranty if you purchase from them and/or use their rewards card for the purchase.
Normally, I skip them also, but I'm in the A/C business, and I've seen first hand the quality of our products drop tremendously "just search leaking evaporator coils" with that said, I will start buying the 4 year warranty with Best Buy, it's really not that costly, for a 4 year peace of mind.

Memory 16GB DDR3
My problem is that I have been known to fix things under warrantee as I was too lazy to send them back.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
I have an old Samsung series 4 40" plasma TV & a Samsung microwave oven, both over a decade old. Still working perfectly to this day!
Key word "old" the new stuff sucks!

My problem is that I have been known to fix things under warrantee as I was too lazy to send them back.
I can usually tackle most anything, but I haven't worked on a TV since 1967 in my Radio and TV class, when TV's had tubes and we had a tube checker. :D

Memory 16GB DDR3
Things are a lot less dangerous now; those CRT tubes could carry quite a zap.

One motivation I have is if capacitors fail I don't really want a replacement with the same capacitors so prefer to install better ones myself.
  • My computers are over 10 years old
  • My car is over 20 years old
  • My smoke alarm is over 40 years old
now I work on replacing a computer mouse switch to try and have it last longer than the usual 5 years.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I can usually tackle most anything, but I haven't worked on a TV since 1967 in my Radio and TV class, when TV's had tubes and we had a tube checker. :D
Not to worry then, they still have tubes. They're just "a tad" smaller :p

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
i never been a fan of samsung product in general. for TV i go panasonic, LG or Sony