• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the consequences of genetically altering ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes to control their populations?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
this...

Most of these insects travel surprisingly little, even if they can fly. The current attempts at controlling mosquitoes would be an Area Denial System, even with 100% success rate.

I disagree, the genetically modified mosquitoes that make females only give birth to males has already worked surprisingly well in large swaths of Florida. Sure, it would take thousands of targeted areas to reduce overall population, but you don't need to eliminate all of them, just thin the herd so to speak... so we can you know... go sit under a tree and a read a book without being bitten constantly.

On that topic, saw this not that long ago and the title really says it all "design mosquitos out of cities"

The same philosophy works for all vermin. They all like specific things. Don't want them? Don't do those things.:clap:

I will watch this soon, but I don't live in a city, I live in a small town, and the mosquitoes are horrible in late summer evenings, can't even enjoy the nice weather cause they are so many.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Find the pools of standing water around your place and make sure they can drain. ;)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Find the pools of standing water around your place and make sure they can drain. ;)

I live a few streets over from a few ponds. I don't think it matters what I do really, even in dry summers with no standing water I remember mosquitoes being very annoying.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

Yeah, in cities you can absolutely minimise their 'hatching' grounds. Just takes some vigilance.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah, in cities you can absolutely minimise their 'hatching' grounds. Just takes some vigilance.

I know they used to hire people in my small town to spray with chemicals hatching grounds, but I think in recent years they stopped doing it, not sure why. I know it paid crap, so maybe they just couldn't find anyone to hire. I mean why do that for $11 an hr, when you go to one of the many warehouses desperate for people that pay $23 an hr, no education and no experience needed. /shrug

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Ok, so there are predators. I guess the real question then is how emeshed in the food chain they are.

The same philosophy works for all vermin. They all like specific things. Don't want them? Don't do those things.:clap:
In the case of mosquitos it's basically "don't have exposed standing water" which while practical in the city maybe simply can't be done everywhere.

D

Deleted member 24505

Ok, so there are predators. I guess the real question then is how emeshed in the food chain they are.

In the case of mosquitos it's basically "don't have exposed standing water" which while practical in the city maybe simply can't be done everywhere.

In countries with lots of rain, pakistan/india it is not humanely possibly to get rid of all wet areas unless they have the will of god at their disposal

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You don't want to get rid of all of the standing water everywhere because many species require it. Just in places where there's a cost vs. benefit to doing so (especially urban areas). If water needs to be retained, store it a sealed structure or agitate it to make it unattractive to mosquitos.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
You don't want to get rid of all of the standing water everywhere because many species require it. Just in places where there's a cost vs. benefit to doing so (especially urban areas). If water needs to be retained, store it a sealed structure or agitate it to make it unattractive to mosquitos.

In residential areas, it's far easier to cover water sources etc. That helps reduce the pest population in a larger human population. Same as keeping rats at bay - keep rubbish stored in bins, keep areas tidy etc. Obviously things get tricky in rural/wild areas. But then, that's nature.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you really want to scare yourself and think of all the what if's go look up who Eric Traub was and his back history. He created lymes disease as a early bioweapon. The man was a Nazi monster that came here with Paperclip.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
He created lymes disease as a early bioweapon.
Can't validate this bit and the bits on lyme disease origins I can find in mainstream science seem to dispute that possibility:

He probably was a baddie, lots of them in paperclip, but just trying to find the facts here.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

Have you ever taken a trip in sewers and water tunnels under the city? You might have have a surprise Alien-esque sights there as exactly as many invasive species spend their winter there...

You cannot disable and dry up those places.

D

Deleted member 24505

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but if you really want to scare yourself and think of all the what if's go look up who Eric Traub was and his back history. He created lymes disease as a early bioweapon. The man was a Nazi monster that came here with Paperclip.

It's Erich Traub btw :)

Can't validate this bit and the bits on lyme disease origins I can find in mainstream science seem to dispute that possibility:

He probably was a baddie, lots of them in paperclip, but just trying to find the facts here.

It's possible Truab had something to do with Lyme disease which "could" have been created on plum island in the US and spread by modified ticks.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It's possible Truab had something to do with Lyme disease which "could" have been created on plum island in the US and spread by modified ticks.
Possible is a lot different than passing something off as a fact as was done above.

D

Deleted member 24505

Possible is a lot different than passing something off as a fact as was done above.
That's why i said "could" have. Little google and Traub was on plum island it seems after the war via paperclip, but couldn't find nothing definitive re link to lyme disease creation by him.

Who brought up electronics, is it relevant, I don't think so.
You've heard of the concept of "learning from history", I presume? When evaluating whether we should ban or embrace future technology, it is quite relevant to consider that in light of past technologies. An example even more relevant than electronics is the internal combustion engine. Soon after its invention, there was a strong movement in certain nations to ban it outright, as being far too dangerous, using the same arguments and excuses being used against genetic engineering today. The internal combution engine certainly was dangerous -- it kills over one million people every year -- but would you prefer we had banned it instead?
Humans != the environment
Well, you've certainly illustrated the inherent fallacy in modern-day environmentalism. Humans are no more nor less a part of the environment than any deer, whale, or spotted owl. And -- to any sane human at least -- we're the most important part of it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
And -- to any sane human at least -- we're the most important part of it.

We're the most important part in so much as we have the power to maintain and protect the environment we live within.

I'd argue there are other creatures more vital to the environment, such as the pollinators that are part of the lifecycle of plants.

Messing with other species, we're likely not going to know how bad it is until it is too late ...The best way for humans to reduce mosquito problems is to prohibit standing water where we reside. No standing water = no mosquitos.
So you're saying we shouldn't "mess with" mosquitos ... except by removing their ability to breed?

In any case, you're about 30 years behind on mosquito research. Standing water is certainly helpful to their breeding cycle, but they can and do lay their eggs in everything from damp soil to tree trunks. Some species can reproduce quite well in dry sand dunes.

I'd argue there are other creatures more vital to the environment, such as the pollinators that are part of the lifecycle of plants.
Given the choice -- the required choice -- to either eliminate all humans, or all pollinating creatures, what do you choose? Choose wisely.

(And, to head off the predictable response, there are a huge number of plants which reproduce asexually, or which can self-pollinate. We won't all starve to death without honeybees and the like)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
You've heard of the concept of "learning from history", I presume? When evaluating whether we should ban or embrace future technology, it is quite relevant to consider that in light of past technologies. An example even more relevant than electronics is the internal combustion engine. Soon after its invention, there was a strong movement in certain nations to ban it outright, as being far too dangerous, using the same arguments and excuses being used against genetic engineering today. The internal combution engine certainly was dangerous -- it kills over one million people every year -- but would you prefer we had banned it instead?

Well, you've certainly illustrated the inherent fallacy in modern-day environmentalism. Humans are no more nor less a part of the environment than any deer, whale, or spotted owl. And -- to any sane human at least -- we're the most important part of it.
Your joking right so IMHO electronic evolution is irrelevant to a discussion on genetic manipulation of mosquito population.

And you think cars are a good argument.

They are in so much as I previously pointed out.

A Dick head sold the idea of putting lead in fuel to stop knocking, he sciences the shit and Proved it was safe.

Many years, millions of death's and On mass mental impairment later.

That SCIENTIST was wrong , and he has killed more Humans then Any other man.

Now have at genetics science men, Go.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Your joking right so IMHO electronic evolution is irrelevant to a discussion on genetic manipulation of mosquito population.

And you think cars are a good argument.

They are in so much as I previously pointed out.

A Dick head sold the idea of putting lead in fuel to stop knocking, he sciences the shit and Proved it was safe.

Many years, millions of death's and On mass mental impairment later.

That SCIENTIST was wrong , and he has killed more Humans then Any other man.

Now have at genetics science men, Go.

not sure what this convo is all about, just wanted to say you are comparing a for profit greedy scumbag single individual with entire teams of the highest scientific minds working together in both the private and non-private sectors.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
So you're saying we shouldn't "mess with" mosquitos ... except by removing their ability to breed?

In any case, you're about 30 years behind on mosquito research. Standing water is certainly helpful to their breeding cycle, but they can and do lay their eggs in everything from damp soil to tree trunks. Some species can reproduce quite well in dry sand dunes.

Given the choice -- the required choice -- to either eliminate all humans, or all pollinating creatures, what do you choose? Choose wisely.

(And, to head off the predictable response, there are a huge number of plants which reproduce asexually, or which can self-pollinate. We won't all starve to death without honeybees and the like)

I can see where this is going, and it isn't really on topic, so I'll not go down this path of species supremacy, or what is right or wrong.

Going back to the topic, it's pretty clear humans will suffer as the climate alters to more humidity and heat, both of which suit parasite species. Even without any climate change, more humans means a greater footprint and likely more contact with such species.

Care should be taken, regardless what methods are used to minimise parasitic insects.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
1653045786539.png

it's pretty clear humans will suffer as the climate alters to more humidity and heat, both of which suit parasite species.
It isn't clear at all, and in fact the reverse is more likely to be true. Warmth and humidity are essential to all species, and the arguably most biodiverse period in Earth's history was the warm and wet Carboniferous Period -- a period in which atmospheric CO2 levels were some 10X higher than they are today. In fact, the cooling and drying that ended the Carboniferous led to an ecologically devastating extinction event.

Returning to today, the average temperature of the planet now is about 57F, whereas most of the plants and animals we depend upon prefer something closer to what we ourselves do -- room temperature. Fear-mongering environmentalists spread the myth that only "diseases and parasites" will benefit from this more salubrious climate, but nothing could be further from the truth.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Tropical parasitic species are being found in more northerly latitudes due to warming. Fish patterns are also changing with warmer waters.

A few degrees of change in geographic areas can, and does, pose a problem.

Tropical parasitic species are being found in more northerly latitudes due to warming. Fish patterns are also changing with warmer waters.
The incidence of parasitic disease among humans has decreased every decade since the industrial revolution began. The sky isn't falling. As for "fish patterns", warmer water means a larger overall fish population. i.e. more food for all. That's a good thing too.

As for the belief that cold, dry climates are best for us, a quick question: would you rather be dropped alone on a warm tropical island, or Antarctica? There's a reason they built Disney World in south Florida, not Saskatchewan. Likewise, there's also a reason the human species began in Africa, not Siberia.