• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the consequences of genetically altering ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes to control their populations?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. In Europe in the Middle Ages, one of the leading causes of death was by bear, wolf, boar or other wild animal attack. And less than 100 years ago, Indian tigers were still killing and eating a thousand people a year -- often small children, snatched directly from their homes. Even smaller animals such as foxes, stoats, weasels, civets, deer -- could indirectly cause death through malnourishment and even starvation through herd predation and crop destruction. Insect infestations were once so feared for their ability to destroy crops that they were considered deadly plagues from God himself.

The entire reason you have plenty of food and free time today to sling a backpack and safely roam through the "nurturing trails of nature" today is because of how much of the original wildlife we've killed.

Bolded part is patently untrue. In a science forum we use evidence and that, unfortunately, comes from what evidence is recorded. In that scenario, wild animals are so far down the list it's insignificant.

Plague, childbirth, disease, famine, etc, etc are the historically recorded issues--and they're well known--they still kill plenty of people today in third world countries. Hunting did kill people but it's considered the dangers of hunting itself (falling from horse, self-inflcited wounds) were as bad as being mauled by a stag.

However, yes, bugs kill many, many people (through the disease they spread).

Just two sources I could quickly find.

Infant and child death due to varied causes had the greatest impact upon population and health, followed by a range of chronic/infectious diseases, with tuberculosis probably being the next most significant one.
Among medieval health problems, we estimate that plague was probably 7th–10th in overall importance. Although lethal and disruptive, it struck only periodically and had less cumulative long-term human consequences than chronically endemic conditions (e.g. bacterial and viral infections causing infant and child death, tuberculosis, and other pathogens).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
My personal take is that ethical considerations aside, disrupting the bottom of the food chain seems like a bad idea. Those effects ripple through the ecosystem in ways that aren't always easy to understand or predict. To me, that seems like a recipe for a catastrophe.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Bolded part is patently untrue. In a science forum we use evidence and that, unfortunately, comes from what evidence is recorded. In that scenario, wild animals are so far down the list it's insignificant.

Plague, childbirth, disease, famine, etc, etc are the historically recorded issues--and they're well known--they still kill plenty of people today in third world countries. Hunting did kill people but it's considered the dangers of hunting itself (falling from horse, self-inflcited wounds) were as bad as being mauled by a stag.

However, yes, bugs kill many, many people (through the disease they spread).

Just two sources I could quickly find.

Personally I'm fully aware of the death toll by insects.
I don't doubt that part at all.
I am not sure what happens if.

A. No one is killed by bite infection where does that place us in population growth terms.

B. Are they sure that killing off tics will not damage ecosystems we also need.

A won't be considered because , money.

B. Better be proven IMHO.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

even if this is true, it doesn't change the point of this thread, because that article you linked still states "human fleas and lice were the cause", so whether or not your article is true does not change the question of this thread in the slightest, I appreciate the article though, extra input is always welcome.

My personal take is that ethical considerations aside, disrupting the bottom of the food chain seems like a bad idea. Those effects ripple through the ecosystem in ways that aren't always easy to understand or predict. To me, that seems like a recipe for a catastrophe.

I understand what you are saying, but what is your evidence that they are indeed a big part of the food chain? Also, it doesn't account for their populations being out of control, somethings like the deer, we have to thin the herd, the logic is no different here, there never used to be this many ticks or mosquitoes, and fleas, what eats them and what percentage of the diet do they make of the thing that eats? Generic statements like yours do not help me try to find an answer to my ultimate question and the reason I made this thread.

And what of Hawaii who never had mosquitoes for most of its history and got along just fine for thousands of years?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The question is are they really the bottom of the foodchain? At least for ticks/fleas, I know of no natural predators.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
even if this is true, it doesn't change the point of this thread, because that article you linked still states "human fleas and lice were the cause", so whether or not your article is true does not change the question of this thread in the slightest, I appreciate the article though, extra input is always welcome.

I understand what you are saying, but what is your evidence that they are indeed a big part of the food chain? Also, it doesn't account for their populations being out of control, somethings like the deer, we have to thin the herd, the logic is no different here, there never used to be this many ticks or mosquitoes, and fleas, what eats them and what percentage of the diet do they make of the thing that eats? Generic statements like yours do not help me try to find an answer to my ultimate question and the reason I made this thread.

And what of Hawaii who never had mosquitoes for most of its history and got along just fine for thousands of years?
Likely to be mostly bird's I would imagine, they're getting rarer I heard.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
spiders and lizards'll eat them
Once gorged with blood a lot of things will take an opurtunistic snack on a tick, but I'd need a source for anything seriously eating fleas or ungorged ticks.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Once gorged with blood a lot of things will take an opurtunistic snack on a tick, but I'd need a source for anything seriously eating fleas or ungorged ticks.

Frogs and toads eat flies in cartoons, but they’re not very picky in real life. They’ll eat plenty of small insects, and also arachnids like spiders and ticks. With certain toads, engorged female ticks have even been used as bait to capture them!

Frogs aren’t very picky about their diet, but they are a bit picky about where they eat. Frogs are found in and around water, whereas toads tend to spend a bit more time on land. So frogs are a bit less likely to eat ticks unless they find them looking for hosts by on foliage close to water. Toads stand a better chance of running into a tick since they will go inland a bit.
sorry, i just couldn't help myself. :roll:

E: on a seriously note i do know chickens, who are a constant hunt, will eat any insect it sees.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

E: on a seriously note i do know chickens, who are a constant hunt, will eat any insect it sees.
I mean yeah when gorged with the blood of the living who would be able to resist that delicious meat nugget? But that's not really what I was asking.

Repent.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
I mean yeah when gorged with the blood of the living who would be able to resist that delicious meat nugget? But that's not really what I was asking.

Repent.
why i edited about chickens, they are on a never ending hunt for insects - a couple together is bad news for your cousin the toad. :fear:

squirrels and chipmunks are very surprising . . imagine, eating whats eating you :D . . . just saying. ;)

Space Lynx

Astronaut

on the note of chickens eating ticks, vast vast majority of chickens do not eat ticks, as we have a farm infrastructure for them now, and in fact we are our best to keep chickens from coming into contact with the wild for fear of diseases causing mass cullings and in turn mass profit margins as our society depends on the chicken not getting sick.

as for frogs, my guess is there diet would consist of flies/mosquitoes much more often than ticks, ticks are buried in the grass, frogs don't seem to hunt in those places usually. i don't buy it, even if it is true, its probably 5% or less of the frogs overall lifetime diet.

spiders and lizards'll eat them

again, I would need to know the percentage of the overall lifetime diet that makes up the spider and lizard in a general sense, loads of other bugs that they eat... my guess is spiders don't go hunting in grass... spiders make webs and catch other stuff 90% of the time I expect.

lizards I'm not certain of, but my guess is very low percentage of their diet.

again, I would need to know the percentage of the overall lifetime diet that makes up the spider and lizard in a general sense, loads of other bugs that they eat... my guess is spiders don't go hunting in grass... spiders make webs and catch other stuff 90% of the time I expect.

lizards I'm not certain of, but my guess is very low percentage of their diet.

There's lots of different types of spiders (I've been to Australia :laugh: ), some do hunt on the ground and on grass. Apparently some spiders find ticks very tasty. There's a section on predators of ticks in this article which is quite interesting, but nothing so specific about their diet as you asked.

The efficiency of predators in controlling tick populations in different habitats varies and may reach up to 100% (67,131,210,211). In Kenya, predation was lower in tall grass areas than in short grass areas (144). In Texas, predation was two to eight times higher in open areas than in a post-oak thicket pasture habitat (67). In Russia, up to 100% of the ticks were preyed on in a woody area, whereas about half were in small open areas and none in intensive pasture or agricultural areas (114)

Nine genera of spiders from six families were reported to prey on five hard tick and two soft tick genera (8,19, 38, 43,59,114,138, 144, 183,192,203,211). Teutana triangulosa spiders prefer Rhipicephalus sanguin-eusto flies. In a garden heavily infested with R. sanguineus, the webs contained only tick cadavers (183).

Not sure where to find precise information on their diet, I guess it would be an article about spiders, or lizards, rather than ticks.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
By the way they live it would really hard if not impossible to eliminate ticks or fleas. Mosquitos in an area sure, it's been done, but no meaningfull to ensure you get to all of them. These are very small animals that don't live in clusters.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
The question is are they really the bottom of the foodchain? At least for ticks/fleas, I know of no natural predators.
Lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, a wide variety of insects, such as ladybirds and fire ants, nematode worms and a number of spiders.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, a wide variety of insects, such as ladybirds and fire ants, nematode worms and a number of spiders.
and birds, they love them

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
this...
By the way they live it would really hard if not impossible to eliminate ticks or fleas. Mosquitos in an area sure, it's been done, but no meaningfull to ensure you get to all of them. These are very small animals that don't live in clusters.
Most of these insects travel surprisingly little, even if they can fly. The current attempts at controlling mosquitoes would be an Area Denial System, even with 100% success rate.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I didn't mean to suggest you were, just that I didn't want to go that route.

While I agree, I am also aware that most of us would not be alive if we had not
  • Fertilizers
  • Insecticides
  • Medicine
  • Transportation
well there is a drawback obviously. I'm not saying we should move to a cave and live there but there is a lot we can do to make it better. The problem is global and it will stay global. Global warming correlates with industry but with poverty as well. Unfortunately we are not good mitigating the latter one either. Nobody cares about Earth when they struggle. Some are just ignorant and think this is the new generation's to come problem. I think people are not ready for anything to make it better. Especially when they being drive by fame, wealth, sick ambitions etc.
Some things will never change but when they do, it will be too late.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Well my answer to the question would be, wipe them out by genetic modification or whatever it takes. They are parasites and do they really serve any purpose even if they do have enemies or are eaten by other creatures. Parasites are just that and should be destroyed.
If you have ever had a infestation of animal fleas, you will surely understand.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think we should focus on disease eradication rather than species eradication. There's far fewer unintended consequences and we can control for them in our own species. Messing with other species, we're likely not going to know how bad it is until it is too late (e.g. decline of species that subsist on them that aren't well monitored). We're already in the middlle of the 6th mass extinction event; we shouldn't be trying to accelerate it.

Moreover, developing better treatments for diseases in humans serves as a building block to treat other diseases. We gain a lot from solving those problems where we likely get more harm than benefit from eradicating a species.

The best way for humans to reduce mosquito problems is to prohibit standing water where we reside. No standing water = no mosquitos.

Also fun fact: Mosquitos can only spread diseases they themselves can contract. Pretty wild that mammals share enough genetic code with mosquitos for mosquitos to impact mammals at all. Probably also why the viruses they spread are particularly bad: they tend to go after the really basic building blocks of life. Malaria is a mosquito-borne parasite, not a virus. Dengue is a mosquito-borne virus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

The best way for humans to reduce mosquito problems is to prohibit standing water where we reside. No standing water = no mosquitos.

Try doing this is third world countries like pakistan and india though. They are not the best places imo don't want to offend anyone but from what i have seen on tv and the net they are not the best managed countries, and i dare say there are more. Trying to get these countries to do what it takes to eradicate these pests is not the easiest thing to do.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Try doing this is third world countries like pakistan and india though. They are not the best places imo don't want to offend anyone but from what i have seen on tv and the net they are not the best managed countries, and i dare say there are more. Trying to get these countries to do what it takes to eradicate these pests is not the easiest thing to do.

First there is the temperature problem, it's not like "rich countries" don't have this problem because they are richer.
Even in very well managed countries all it takes is a little pool of water, in a forgoten container after watering the lawn for example. A pool of water after the rain. Etc...
Living in urban aereas helps of course. And keeping the animals you eat in far away farms also helps. Not having fruit trees near you. Etc

Most of these are not about rich vs poor, good hygiene vs bad, it's the way people live.

NY was/is famous for the bed bugs problem for example.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
On that topic, saw this not that long ago and the title really says it all "design mosquitos out of cities"

The same philosophy works for all vermin. They all like specific things. Don't want them? Don't do those things.:clap: