• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Star Valor with procedurally-generated galaxy, available now on Steam

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Star Valor is a Space Action RPG game that puts you in control of your own spaceship and destiny. Explore a vast open-world procedurally generated galaxy as you make your way from a nobody to the biggest name in the galaxy. But be warned, in a universe where the last of humanity is ruled by the alien beings that nearly made them extinct, wealth and power don't come easy.

Carefully choose which factions you join or go independent and make your own friends and foes along the way. Earn credits through a variety of activities such as mining asteroids for valuable materials and minerals, completing various missions, trading goods, salvaging shipwrecks, crafting weapons, claiming bounties on pirates, or becoming a pirate yourself. Gain experience and level up your skills while unlocking new options for subsequent playthroughs.

Features:
  • Open-World Exploration in a Procedurally Generated Galaxy - Each new game is completely different from the last with players getting to choose how big or small a galaxy is.
  • Dynamic and Easy to Learn Combat System - Engage in head-to-head dogfights or massive fleet battles.
  • Craft Your Own Weapons - Craft weapons using materials found from shipwrecks and mining asteroids and add your own modifiers to create unique weapons that cater to your needs.
  • Over 160 Different Pieces of Ship Equipment - A vast selection of varying ship equipment to allow you to customize your ship how you see fit and give it the perfect loadout.
  • Over 80 Different Ships - Over 80 different ships across various classes and roles to choose from, ranging from small Fighters to big Battleships.
  • Choose New Character Abilities as You Level Up - As you level up, you gain skill points that can be allocated to the skills and skill trees of your choice to create the character of your play style.
  • Hire a Crew to Improve your Ship and Gunners to Operate Turrets - As you grow and you gain a bigger ship you will need to hire a crew to help run it along with gunners to operate turrets.
  • Make allies or Hire Mercenaries to Help You - Become a fleet commander and assign allies to your fleet to help you in combat or alternatively you can hire mercenaries to help out… for a price.
  • Unlock Perks to Open New Play Styles - Complete specific tasks or make particular choices to unlock new perks granting different and various new play styles.
  • Story and Procedural Quest System - Embark on a story that spans throughout the galaxy or take on a large variety of quests with a procedural quest system.
  • Seven Factions to Interact With - Interact with seven different factions each with their own agenda. Allying yourself with one may make others your enemy.
  • Wars Between Factions - Become a part of wars and conflicts between factions as they struggle for power.
  • Arena Mode for Combat-Focused Challenges - An additional arena mode for you to test your combat abilities as you face off against waves of enemies that grow in power as you progress.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
sigh...procedurally generated.....just about the most lazy empty thing devs can do.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
sigh...procedurally generated.....just about the most lazy empty thing devs can do.

besides permanent early access as to avoid professional reviews telling the gaming community how bad the game really is since most sites will only review a finished product?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home

Lol, what did you expect the Game Devs to do, for a game set in the infinite of Space?

Go and survey it, or something.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
eeewww that combat.

Someone will enjoy it. good luck!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Like Minecraft, the most popular and successful game in history by an overwhelming margin?

besides permanent early access as to avoid professional reviews telling the gaming community how bad the game really is since most sites will only review a finished product?
"Professional reviews" mean far less than community reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is a great example of that - anything that "professional" reviewers disagree with from a political or social stance gets a bad rating, even when actual people love it (ie The Terminal List - horrible "professional" review rating while it gets a 95% from real audiences). Game reviewers aren't as overt (yet), but the point still stands; audience reviews matter, critic reviews objectively don't, unless you know the critic you're looking at shares your tastes exactly.

Bizarre to see people crap on a game they've never played and don't intend to. I'd like to see TPU cover more small games like this, since this is the only way we can get away from a tiny handful of devs and publishers controlling the entire industry and shoveling rehashed garbage year after year and making games worse as they go.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Lol, what did you expect the Game Devs to do, for a game set in the infinite of Space?
Not really. I expect them to use their creativity to meaningfully convey infinity. This doesnt mean it should actually be infinite. Theres no point to it being infinite if it isnt fittingly diverse. Suitable diversity for keeping infinite intrigue isnt possible. Procedurally generated "infinity" is both closer to the actual thing and less interesting than it.

The best video games have always been made with a lot of thought put into conveying things that actually are much shallower than they may seem due to technical limitations. The art of faking it is critical, same as in any show or movie.

The procedural tech doesnt really overcome the limit. In a conceptual sense it is sort of infinite. But its infinitely repetitive and once you acquire the patterns the illusion is gone. Procedural generation ultimately fails to *feel* infinite. I mean... a loop can technically be traversed infinitely. Procedural generation basically puts you on a loop where sections are always shifting different parameters in a fixed set in order to hide the limits to what variety it can generate. It is still fake infinity. The infinity of space is almost entirely incomparable to proc gen space. And proc gen isnt a free lunch. More often than not players bottom out on it and realize how small their little infinity is in actuality far too soon to be worth it.

Last edited:
Procedurally generated "infinity" is both closer to the actual thing and less interesting than it.
Well, no. See: Minecraft. Most popular game in history, and procedurally generated infinite world. Technically not infinite, but the worlds are ~60 million by 60 million meters, and a unique world is generated for each of 2^64 seeds, so in the practical sense of exploring a video game world, each one is effectively infinite and you have an effectively infinite number of worlds to explore.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, no. See: Minecraft. Most popular game in history, and procedurally generated infinite world. Technically not infinite, but the worlds are ~60 million by 60 million meters, and a unique world is generated for each of 2^64 seeds, so in the practical sense of exploring a video game world, each one is effectively infinite and you have an effectively infinite number of worlds to explore.
Big difference in interactability. The sandboxing is a huge part of what actually keeps that interesting, no? Its about what can do with those environmental features. The variety of experiences available are much wider than usual. It calls upon the players creativity. I feel like other proc gen games try to capture that aspect, but they arent going for a full free-building game and lose some of the advantages that minecraft has.

Good point still - I had forgotten minecraft. But again, minecraft is basically all about building and exploring. This is a proc gen space rpg with presumably many more linear elements and modules making the sandbox functions nessesarily more complex and thus more curtailed. Throw proc gen on that, I dont see how it doesnt get repetitive. Only so many ways to approach those tasks, with only so many possible outcomes. Thats where the illusion dies with generated infinity, for me. I actually enjoy minecraft, but thats because its infinite like a blank notebook, not the vastness of ever reaching stuff.

Last edited:
System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
This looks cool! Thanks Swede :)

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
This doesnt mean it should actually be infinite. Theres no point to it being infinite if it isnt fittingly diverse. Suitable diversity for keeping infinite intrigue isnt possible.
This makes me think of No Man' Sky, its not infinite exactly but close. Not even sure Eve Online is Infinite. Personally not a fan of minecraft, its too 8-bit looking for me.

Procedural-generating a game where you fight and explore a whole galaxy gets boring after awhile - I cant see there being that many popular Elite clones out there.

I'd rather have a fixed space (also machine-generated,but then more personalized by content creators - other bonus: I can actually lookup the secrets on subsequent playthroughs.

A Diablo map is about as large a random play-field as you will ever want in an action game - making things galaxy-sized will just frustrate most players.

This makes me think of No Man' Sky, its not infinite exactly but close. Not even sure Eve Online is Infinite. Personally not a fan of minecraft, its too 8-bit looking for me.
Just put some Minecraft shaders and run RT, and see your PC struggle while looking realistic.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Just put some Minecraft shaders and run RT, and see your PC struggle while looking realistic.
Realistic? HAHAHA it will still look pixelated 8-bit, not talking about graphics .

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Like Minecraft, the most popular and successful game in history by an overwhelming margin?

"Professional reviews" mean far less than community reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is a great example of that - anything that "professional" reviewers disagree with from a political or social stance gets a bad rating, even when actual people love it (ie The Terminal List - horrible "professional" review rating while it gets a 95% from real audiences). Game reviewers aren't as overt (yet), but the point still stands; audience reviews matter, critic reviews objectively don't, unless you know the critic you're looking at shares your tastes exactly.

Bizarre to see people crap on a game they've never played and don't intend to. I'd like to see TPU cover more small games like this, since this is the only way we can get away from a tiny handful of devs and publishers controlling the entire industry and shoveling rehashed garbage year after year and making games worse as they go.
Wasn’t there another space procedural generated game that No Mans Sky didn’t make it big due to being a overhyped overpromised under delivery of buggy issues?
Remember games released on disc that were complete and you owned them to mod and host your own servers?

I do.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
If THIS looks pixelated for you, I'm afraid to ask what kind of eyes you have.
The materials look pretty realistic. But the grid is still obvious - theres no polygonal granularity. Just perfectly-fit straight edges and right angles. Real life isnt made of big cubes.

"Not talking about graphics" was the tell. Its not a matter of lighting or material behavior, but the fact that nothing in real life is shaped like that. Visual design, not graphics. Most things in the game are basically giant depth-extruded square pixels.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
If THIS looks pixelated for you, I'm afraid to ask what kind of eyes you have.
My eyes are bad for sure, but do you see those huge square blocks? They are bigger than a normal pixel, so it all looks like a magnified pixelated 8 bit game from the 70s.

The materials look pretty realistic. But the grid is still obvious - theres no polygonal granularity. Just perfectly-fit straight edges and right angles. Real life isnt made of big cubes.

"Not talking about graphics" was the tell. Its not a matter of lighting or material behavior, but the fact that nothing in real life is shaped like that. Visual design, not graphics. Most things in the game are basically giant depth-extruded square pixels.
This. Exactly This. :D

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Not when done right, some games do it well (DRG)

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Why does this Game remind me of Asteroids on steroids?

System Name NoNE
Processor Intel E8700 @ 4.5Ghz 1.296v
Motherboard Asus Maximus II Formula
Cooling Small custom water
Memory Corsair dominator 4x2GB 1081mhz 5-5-5-14 1.85v
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 1GB @ stock, undervolted
Storage 2x 500GB Western Digital Black Raid 0
Display(s) LG Flatron W2252TQ
Case Antec 300 Ghetto modded
Power Supply Corsair 550VX
Software 7 Ultimate
Looks a lot like Space Pirates and Zombies (spaz)

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Not when done right, some games do it well (DRG)
PG is used with parameters, the more input the better output, such things increase what appears to be attention to detail.

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Basically procedural generation in space games with a large universe is not lazy, it's neccesary.