• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Next-Gen Desktop Platform Intros Socket LGA1851, "Meteor Lake-S" to Feature 6P+16E Core Counts

Especially when such myth is not honored - and hastily reconsidered at the very last minute because the competition just butchered their value proposition entirely. I will never forgive or forget AMD's treatment of X370 buyers.
But wait. You still can use 5xxx Ryzen on old X370 motherboard, and a lot of people buying 5800X3D and 5700X coz of this.

The myth was powered not my AMD, but by Intel, who was doing meaningless changing between sockets 1151, 1151v2 and 1200 with ZERO reasons for it, some people even managed to run 1151v2 cpus on 1151 socket with some bios tricks.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
some people even managed to run 1151v2 cpus on 1151 socket with some bios tricks.
Some hardware modifications are necessary too. If anyone wants to do that, look no further, TPU is the best place. It's tempting for me too, I'd undertake the HW mods but am still too afraid of touching that thing called BIOS.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
But wait. You still can use 5xxx Ryzen on old X370 motherboard, and a lot of people buying 5800X3D and 5700X coz of this.

The myth was powered not my AMD, but by Intel, who was doing meaningless changing between sockets 1151, 1151v2 and 1200 with ZERO reasons for it, some people even managed to run 1151v2 cpus on 1151 socket with some bios tricks.

Dude did you just ignore the context entirely and then ignored my subsequent posts about it? 300 series support was denied, they excused themselves with a lie and it only came after Alder Lake. AMD lied. There's no way around that. Did you forget they also intended to axe the 400 series chipsets and didn't only because of raw fury and backlash from reddit?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4x8) 3600 MT/s CL16 @ 3800 MT/s
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RX 6900 XT OC
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF VG27AQ 1440p 165hz
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500DX black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-750 80+ Platinum Fully Modular
Enough said, specially from AMDUnboxed.
You still believe they're AMD fanboys? Really? After they've lampooned AMD for some garbage products time and time again?

Just the sort of people I'd expect from this forum I guess

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
Why would you negatively criticise something that is entirely positive? I think whoever doesnt like ecores is losing the plot - you must have a fundamental misunderstanding on why they even exist
A lot of people seem to have a hardwired connection in their brain between "E/efficiency core" and "1.0-1.5 GHz Cortex A53" -> "useless" and so they pretend like E cores are just dead silicon and P cores are all that matters. When in reality an E core is more powerful than a Haswell core. There is a massive gap between outdated ARM little cores and Intel's E cores. People really need to comprehend that.

Did you forget they also intended to axe the 400 series chipsets and didn't only because of raw fury and backlash from reddit?
thats was my point. U can press amd to du something or change something, but u cant do the same with Intel. Coz at the end amd gave up and added support for Zen3. While Intel, instead of not using new 1200 meaningless socket, used it anyway, to make people upset and create "myths" around amd, who was starting to add zen3 support to older chipsets coz of dramma.

Now Intel is trying to do the same with stinky E-cores, were "E" stands for "Efficiency" only for Intel, but Not for consumer.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth
thats was my point. U can press amd to du something or change something, but u cant do the same with Intel. Coz at the end amd gave up and added support for Zen3. While Intel, instead of not using new 1200 meaningless socket, used it anyway, to make people upset and create "myths" around amd, who was starting to add zen3 support to older chipsets coz of dramma.

Now Intel is trying to do the same with stinky E-cores, were "E" stands for "Efficiency" only for Intel, but Not for consumer.

There is no myth, just blind refusal to admit that AMD is a corporation with financial interests and not your indie friendly little guy in the industry. When the X570 chipset came out, the X470 boards were barely a year old. They couldn't do it without looking like... inappropriate words for a forum.

AMD didn't cave in due to pressure, they literally just went backwards on an elaborate lie they had convinced even the tech media of (because the 16 MB BIOS was never a problem, mind you - motherboards such as the one I had, the Crosshair VI Hero and its Extreme sibling) had something like half of the BIOS padded out with space to spare, and they never lost a single function throughout all of this) just because Alder Lake offered people a much better deal that they had priced themselves out of market. Even more proof of it is that these same motherboards are now running Zen 3 and 3D chips happily and without any other issue that their 400 and 500 series equivalents don't have as well. In fact, you do realize that the X370 and the X470 are 1:1 identical, and the B550 is also based on the same Promontory chip, right?

The Core i5-12400F went toe-to-toe with Ryzen 5 5600X at half the price, that is why AMD relented on their refusal to keep their forwards-compatibility promise as if they hadn't been implying the boards weren't worthy for nearly a year in the interim. It wasn't because they were pressured or because they're nice. Ironically, the same reasoning tech media picked up for not condemning AMD on their decision to cut the X370 chipset off is that anyone who's buying such a new processor should buy a new motherboard too, because that's the precedent that Intel had set.

No matter how you want to spin this on Intel, ultimately they are not in the wrong for refusing to make promises of forwards compatibility and long-lived sockets, Intel didn't hold AMD at gunpoint to make that claim - which I agree that from a consumer and environmental standpoint is excellent but from a business standpoint, no one was happy, and they sure let us know about it. It more than likely also has something to do with the initial batch of AM5 motherboards being priced to the moon, the same promise was made again for the AM5 socket but this time they sure are charging for that privilege.

Last edited:
You still believe they're AMD fanboys? Really? After they've lampooned AMD for some garbage products time and time again?

Just the sort of people I'd expect from this forum I guess

I've seen it first on r/AMD, dude. I've pledged alliance to zero brands in my entire life, fanboyism is stupid and dangerous. I choose products.

As for AMDUnboxed, they have been vocally pro-AMD, anti-Intel/anti-NVIDIA for at least five years now. It's rare to see/hear them praise anything made by these two companies while they turn a blind eye to anything unsightly which AMD does. Their last DLSS 3.0 video? "The tech is total crap". What unbiased people say? It's really great and the increased latency is very hard to notice.

What's funny is how they panned DLSS 2.0 first but then once FSR 2.0 was released, AMDUnboxed suddenly stopped being overly critical of DLSS 2.0. When AMD releases FSR 3.0 somewhere in the end of 2023 (they've just started working on it because DLSS 3.0 caught them by surprise), I'm sure DLSS 3.0 will be reconsidered.

Most of their polls on Twitter/YouTube in terms of choosing something? Any AMD product over anything made by Intel/NVIDIA by the widest possible margin.

You think I'm fanboyish and parrot something because I'm anti-AMD? Well, f* it, I have Ryzen 7 5800X in my case. My next GPU will be made by AMD because NVIDIA has seemingly lost their mind with the GTX 40 series pricing and power consumption. I'm not buying RTX 4060 Ti at ~220W for ~$450. Jensen should go f- himself if he thinks I have any brand loyalty or I care about DLSS 3.0. I care about my wallet and my PC power consumption.

Keyboard Galax Stealth
I've seen it first on r/AMD, dude. I've pledged alliance to zero brands in my entire life, fanboyism is stupid and dangerous. I choose products.

As for AMDUnboxed, they have been vocally pro-AMD, anti-Intel/anti-NVIDIA for at least five years now. It's rare to see/hear them praise anything made by these two companies while they turn a blind eye to anything unsightly which AMD does. Their last DLSS 3.0 video? "The tech is total crap". What unbiased people say? It's really great and the increased latency is very hard to notice.

What's funny is how they panned DLSS 2.0 first but then once FSR 2.0 was released, AMDUnboxed suddenly stopped being overly critical of DLSS 2.0. When AMD releases FSR 3.0 somewhere in the end of 2023 (they've just started working on it because DLSS 3.0 caught them by surprise), I'm sure DLSS 3.0 will be reconsidered.

Most of their polls on Twitter/YouTube in terms of choosing something? Any AMD product over anything made by Intel/NVIDIA by the widest possible margin.

You think I'm fanboyish and parrot something because I'm anti-AMD? Well, f* it, I have Ryzen 7 5800X in my case. My next GPU will be made by AMD because NVIDIA has seemingly lost their mind with the GTX 40 series pricing and power consumption. I'm not buying RTX 4060 Ti at ~220W for ~$450. Jensen should go f- himself if he thinks I have any brand loyalty or I care about DLSS 3.0. I care about my wallet and my PC power consumption.

Yeah, i'm mostly a happy camper with my 5950X as well, but I am quite unwilling to look the other way for the real problems that it has, and for AMD's corporate interests going on top of my own. If they fix the EDC bug introduced by the 5800X3D's amp limit kicking in on every other processor model, I will have a performant and stable system.

It will take some time for me to have money for a new graphics card (I've decided to prioritize a few other things in the interim), but I am also heavily leaning towards the 7900 XTX right now. I could get it without having to sell my 3090, and that's excellent for me. If my guesses of 90 to 110%+ of 4090's performance at 70% of the power come around, this GPU will be a champion to rival Evergreen (the DX11 pioneer), if they manage to keep on top of their driver game. Which I am fully confident in right now, the Radeon team rocks.

No matter how you want to spin this on Intel
We have only 2 companies, who makes X86 cpu. When people got super sick from Intel behavior, and amd finally released some "normal" product (first Ryzen), these people switched to amd and start praising it and making myths, not coz they like amd, coz they dont like intel more than amd, and they was not able to "switch" for a log time.
I dont like amd myself, and new AM5 socket is garbage in many ways. But I switched to zen3, coz Intel is worse (Yesterday I was not able to download a basic driver for Z87 chipset, not even archive). And this is sad, since we have only 2 x86 cpus vendors on market.
Also I must admit, that their ryzen 2600 was a big life saver for me in 2018, so I still have warm feelings for amd, for now... and reading news about Intel, I think, I will keep that way. (this is why some people defend amd, despite amd probably no better than intel)

In short: some people likes amd because of intel. And ofc amd will try to use that, by covering their "we did it for money" with "we did it for u, consumers", and playing "consumer friendlier than intel" game.

Last edited:
This is why I don’t get the whole Alder Lake / Rocket Lake DDR4 and DDR5 argument. If you buy a DDR4 version today, you will still have to upgrade motherboard, RAM and CPU if you want to upgrade to Meteor Lake in 2024.
Why would you even upgrade that often. That's the real question.

ir_cow

Staff member
I feel your pain brother. And X399 still doesn't have it the worst. You have one generation of upgrades if you got the original 1xxx Threadripper, but the TRX40 guys were just cast aside and ignored without a single generational upgrade. All in all, a happy big bunch of soon-to-be Intel customers ;)
Is everybody forgetting both those sockets had two generations of CPUs?

Keyboard Galax Stealth
Is everybody forgetting both those sockets had two generations of CPUs?

No, the TRX40 platform didn't, the Threadripper Pro CPUs use a different socket and chipset due to the 8-channel memory support.

The guys that bought Zen 2 Threadrippers received no generational upgrades as Zen 3 for TRX4 was canceled so AMD could sell them to the server channel instead.

This is why I don’t get the whole Alder Lake / Rocket Lake DDR4 and DDR5 argument. If you buy a DDR4 version today, you will still have to upgrade motherboard, RAM and CPU if you want to upgrade to Meteor Lake in 2024.
If you already had DDR4 memory, you could have continued using it for Alder Lake/Rocket Lake..so your saving regardless.

We have only 2 companies, who makes X86 cpu. When people got super sick from Intel behavior, and amd finally released some "normal" product (first Ryzen), these people switched to amd and start praising it and making myths, not coz they like amd, coz they dont like intel more than amd, and they was not able to "switch" for a log time.
I dont like amd myself, and new AM5 socket is garbage in many ways. But I switched to zen3, coz Intel is worse (Yesterday I was not able to download a basic driver for Z87 chipset, not even archive). And this is sad, since we have only 2 x86 cpus vendors on market.
Also I must admit, that their ryzen 2600 was a big life saver for me in 2018, so I still have warm feelings for amd, for now... and reading news about Intel, I think, I will keep that way. (this is why some people defend amd, despite amd probably no better than intel)

In short: some people likes amd because of intel. And ofc amd will try to use that, by covering their "we did it for money" with "we did it for u, consumers", and playing "consumer friendlier than intel" game.
That is the dumbest statement ever made on AMD or AM4. AM4 dominated Intel for like 3+ years. It was better and will always be better than anything Intel released. AM5 is better than Rocket Lake too and the gaming hammer is coming down in a few months. I pity anyone who went and spent thousands on a Rocket Lake PC that will be obsolete very soon

Keyboard Galax Stealth
It was better and will always be better than anything Intel released.

Provided you didn't want the forwards compatibility they promised at the time, or that they fix the EDC bug causing throttling with PBO on all CPUs because the amperage lock of the 5800X3D is applying to every other processor, it's "nice"

I won't give laurels to this platform, it was extremely buggy throughout its entire service life due to the poor quality of the AGESA code, and even its latest (and potentially last) release basically butchers high end CPU performance due to the aforementioned bug.

ir_cow

Staff member
Keyboard Galax Stealth
TPU has it wrong about the Zen3 it seems. https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/ryzen-threadripper-5990x.c2915

Alright, so AMD did pull a Intel hahaah

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge this processor actually went through all engineering stages and finalized, even some late stage ES units made into the hands of board partners and their XOC guys but AMD never released it to market citing low demand, the truth is that the server market was booming particularly well during the lockdowns and they decided to use all available supply in high margin Milan Epyc processors instead.

I don't think Zen 3 for TRX40 will ever release at this point considered mainstream socket Zen 4 already came out, it'd be a terrible value proposition.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
The platform/socket longevity as an advantage is a myth AMD fans have created. Let's keep it this way.
What are you smoking?
I upgraded from a r5 2400g and 8gb ram in 2018 to a r9 5900x and 32 gb ram in 2021. wtf bro? you have lost objectivity, before i used to see much more compeling posts from you, don't know if i am talking about somebody else.

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
Provided you didn't want the forwards compatibility they promised at the time, or that they fix the EDC bug causing throttling with PBO on all CPUs because the amperage lock of the 5800X3D is applying to every other processor, it's "nice"

I won't give laurels to this platform, it was extremely buggy throughout its entire service life due to the poor quality of the AGESA code, and even its latest (and potentially last) release basically butchers high end CPU performance due to the aforementioned bug.
Not just the AGESA but also ASMedia's garbage tier USB implementation.

What are you smoking?
I upgraded from a r5 2400g and 8gb ram in 2018 to a r9 5900x and 32 gb ram in 2021. wtf bro? you have lost objectivity, before i used to see much more compeling posts from you, don't know if i am talking about somebody else.

Fewer than 0.5% of PC owners upgrade CPUs. Again, it's a myth. I consider myself a hardcore tech-enthusiast and I've done it once over the past 30 years (3700X->5800X). A single generational upgrade which is also possible for Intel users. It's easier and completely safe to replace the entire system than to upgrade your CPU, a process during which you can easily destroy your old CPU or motherboard. It's not a GPU which is "remove and insert a new one". I've not given up on being cold-blooded, factual, logical and rational. Your anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, sorry. I mean you are in a tiny minority.

PS "What are you smoking?" is an insult.

Link? the source to back this up.
There is over a billion x86 PCs in the world, I'm not even counting laptops. Do your napkin math and even my 0.5% estimate will suddenly look too generous. AMD fans of course have their own world view, I'll give you that.
? :kookoo:
If you pay a company to build your entire PC thus easier and safe as you mentioned, you can ask the company to replace your CPU and it will be also cheaper.
Otherwise you have to put everything together so might as well replace only CPU.

That it a bullshit bro.
Bullshit if you believe people care about [minimal] CPU [performance] upgrades, follow CPU or motherboard generations, or even read tech news websites or CPU reviews. Absolute most go to the store and buy a prebuilt PC. Organizations who own literally hundreds of millions of PCs? Those serve until they die or become unusable.

It makes sense to realize that your "superior" knowledge of PC components is BS in the grand scheme of things but I didn't expect anything else from devoted AMD fans.

Meh......you did not quote a source.
Anyway obviously when intel just released 3% performance increaces per generation everyone just changed the whole thing (i went from a core 2 duo 7200 to a i5 2500k and then for 6 generations intel did nothing so i kept my cpu.). But since ryzen that has changed, you could perfectly buy a first gen like i did and then upgrade big way to a latest gen top end. I give you that only peole who know how to change a cpu and upgrade bios would do that, one could also ask for help from a person who knows.

First, install a spell checker, then for sources, find the ones which talk about Windows 10 having over 1 billion installations and oh boy people continued to run other versions of Windows at the time when Microsoft announced the said number of W10 PCs.

I won't argue with you any more. I don't ****ing care about purely anecdotal evidence and people who believe in myths, perpetuate them and lie through their teeth saying the entire world revolves around CPU upgrades. Actually I'll go ahead and BL both of you as well. I'm not ****ing crazy, that lame attempt to insult me "? :kookoo:" is not funny. Too tired of fanatics no matter what they pray to. Your religion must be AMD, cool. It instantly makes you a lesser man because rational, truly intelligent people can't have idols. That goes against intelligence. No one is infallible. Everyone and everything needs to prove its worth. Being a fan of a company? That can be considered retarded. Absolute most companies care about their shareholders a lot more than about their customers. Goodbye.

AFAIK there have been polls for CPU upgrades even here among enthusiasts on TPU forums with quite appalling for CPU upgrade fans numbers. You can run them again and see your beliefs dispelled.

Last edited:
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Not just the AGESA but also ASMedia's garbage tier USB implementation.

The USB problem was not on ASMedia, it was on AMD. It was fixed with the AGESA v2 1.2.0.2 update and in fact - it also crashed external USB controllers, in addition to the USB dropouts my EVGA sound card (which uses a custom USB bridge) also stopped functioning. It was both hilarious and sad.

Now if they fix the EDC bug... sounding like a broken record about it already, I think AM4 can finally be called "done and polished". Only took 'em more than half a decade, when and if they fix it...

Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
It's easier and completely safe to replace the entire system than to upgrade your CPU
? :kookoo:
If you pay a company to build your entire PC thus easier and safe as you mentioned, you can ask the company to replace your CPU and it will be also cheaper.
Otherwise you have to put everything together so might as well replace only CPU.

Fewer than 0.5% of PC owners upgrade CPUs
That it a bullshit bro.

There is over a billion x86 PCs in the world, I'm not even counting laptops. Do your napkin math and even my 0.5% estimate will suddenly look too generous. AMD fans of course have their own world view, I'll give you that.

Bullshit if you believe people care about [minimal] CPU [performance] upgrades, follow CPU or motherboard generations, or even read tech news websites or CPU reviews. Absolute most go to the store and buy a prebuilt PC. Organizations who own literally hundreds of millions of PCs? Those serve until they die or become unusable.

It makes sense to realize that your "superior" knowledge of PC components is BS in the grand scheme of things but I didn't expect anything else from devoted AMD fans.
Meh......you did not quote a source.
Anyway obviously when intel just released 3% performance increaces per generation everyone just changed the whole thing (i went from a core 2 duo 7200 to a i5 2500k and then for 6 generations intel did nothing so i kept my cpu.). But since ryzen that has changed, you could perfectly buy a first gen like i did and then upgrade big way to a latest gen top end. I give you that only peole who know how to change a cpu and upgrade bios would do that, one could also ask for help from a person who knows.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Fewer than 0.5% of PC owners upgrade CPUs. Again, it's a myth. I consider myself a hardcore tech-enthusiast and I've done it once over the past 30 years (3700X->5800X). A single generational upgrade which is also possible for Intel users. It's easier and completely safe to replace the entire system than to upgrade your CPU, a process during which you can easily destroy your old CPU or motherboard. It's not a GPU which is "remove and insert a new one". I've not given up on being cold-blooded, factual, logical and rational. Your anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, sorry. I mean you are in a tiny minority.
Your Opinion is worth more than his, why.

I know five people who updated Am4 CPU on same mobo and I did it three times so I win, more anecdotal data points!? .

What you don't see worth in, others do.

And IMHO only the bluest of noses continually pulls out the AMD fan card, you should realise that instantly labels you a blue nose in some eye's.
And is a weak as shit argument point deserving derision.