• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop won't go to deeper c state when connected to external monitor.

Vathank

Is this normal behavior? Or just only occurs on Windows 11.

Ur6BaPApgR.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I think this is a hardware limitation. I know my 10th Gen desktop computer is also limited to package C3. Did you ever see anything different if you were using Windows 10 before?

At least core C7 is working well. That is the important one.

Vathank

I think this is a hardware limitation. I know my 10th Gen desktop computer is also limited to package C3. Did you ever see anything different if you were using Windows 10 before?

At least core C7 is working well. That is the important one.
Without external monitor Package C state goes up to c8. Can you tell me what the different between Package C state and Core C state?

omK4RZ186r.png

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Sometimes when you add a second monitor, the VRAM frequency stays up all the time. Take a look at that, maybe that's the root of your problem.

Vathank

Sometimes when you add a second monitor, the VRAM frequency stays up all the time. Take a look at that, maybe that's the root of your problem.
If I understand correctly, package C state isn't about cpu but other pc component. So it used more power when I connected to an external monitor. Because my hdmi is wired directly to dgpu. That make scene.

Also what is this option for
1674644375579.png

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
If I understand correctly, package C state isn't about cpu but other pc component. So it used more power when I connected to an external monitor. Because my hdmi is wired directly to dgpu. That make scene.

View attachment 280796
Package C state is still about CPU, but as a whole (IGP, memory controller and whatnot). But yes, your IGP may be doing more work still.

Vathank

Package C state is still about CPU, but as a whole (IGP, memory controller and whatnot). But yes, your IGP may be doing more work still.
Btw I used BIOS undervolting for Windows 11. I unlocked oc and cfg lock in bios. And is there anyway to confirm that Thermal velocity boost is disable?

unclewebb

I would leave that option alone.

It can be used to disable the following core C states; (C3, C6, C7). There is rarely a need to do this. This feature makes a permanent change to whatever Windows power plan you are currently using. If you ever use this feature to disable the C states, it would be best to use ThrottleStop to re-enable these C states.

Disabling the C states on a 10750H will make it run hotter and slower. Intel Turbo Boost does not work correctly on H series processors when C3, C6 and C7 are disabled. Disabling the C states makes some music producers happy because this is a good way to reduce latency. Slower CPU but less latency.

is there anyway to confirm that Thermal velocity boost is disable?
Run your CPU at 75°C and watch to see if it slows down 100 MHz.
Check the Limit Reasons window to see if TVB throttling is reported.

1674670837524.png

To stop TVB throttling, the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window needs to be clear. No check mark.

1674670968844.png

Intel calls this feature Boost but it does the opposite. Checking the Thermal Velocity Boost box makes a CPU run slower when it reaches approximately 70°C.

Vathank

I would leave that option alone.

It can be used to disable the following core C states; (C3, C6, C7). There is rarely a need to do this. This feature makes a permanent change to whatever Windows power plan you are currently using. If you ever use this feature to disable the C states, it would be best to use ThrottleStop to re-enable these C states.

Disabling the C states on a 10750H will make it run hotter and slower. Intel Turbo Boost does not work correctly on H series processors when C3, C6 and C7 are disabled. Disabling the C states makes some music producers happy because this is a good way to reduce latency. Slower CPU but less latency.

Run your CPU at 75°C and watch to see if it slows down 100 MHz.
Check the Limit Reasons window to see if TVB throttling is reported.

View attachment 280821

To stop TVB throttling, the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window needs to be clear. No check mark.

View attachment 280823

Intel calls this feature Boost but it does the opposite. Checking the Thermal Velocity Boost box makes a CPU run slower when it reaches approximately 70°C.
One more question if my laptop in best case scenario only goes upto C8 should I change Packages C state request to C8 or leave to C10?

Since you here and I don’t want to start a new thread. My laptop(MSI GS66) running Windows 11 build 2261.1105 allow undervolting through BIOS even though virtual machine platforms, vbs, core isolation are turned on. Is it possible before or Microsoft allow undervolting through BISO now?

unclewebb

should I change Packages C state request to C8 or leave to C10?
It probably does not matter. Do some testing and see if it makes any difference.

I know on my 10th Gen desktop computer there is a weird bug where I get constant static noise depending on how the package C state request is set. My speakers are crystal clear when the Request is set to package C1, C2 or C8, C9, C10. My CPU does not go any higher than Package C3 but this still needs to be set correctly or else I get static noise while playing any music or YouTube video, etc.

This static noise always happens if I set the package Request to C3, C6 or C7. It took me forever to figure this out. I was almost forced to buy a separate sound card. I know other users with Asus boards have also reported the same static noise problem but no one ever figured out why.

Vathank

It probably does not matter. Do some testing and see if it makes any difference.
I did set it to C8 but it didn't see any different
Since you here and I don’t want to start a new thread. My laptop(MSI GS66) running Windows 11 build 2261.1105 allow undervolting through BIOS even though virtual machine platforms, vbs, core isolation are turned on. Is it possible before or Microsoft allow undervolting through BISO now?
To add to this question: my laptop lost about 100-200 point in r23 when Core Isolation is turned on. Do you recommend leaving it disabled for better performance or better security? Plus the freedom of core and cache undervolting, IccMax control in TS. In MSI bios only allow setting core and cache value equally.