• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to relubricate/service a troublesome or noisy fan.

I've seen a number of complaints recently about users experiencing problems with the fans in their system.

Most fans are serviceable by design. Whether they're a case fan, a fan mounted on a CPU heatsink or a fan mounted on a GPU heatsink, the vast majority of fans can be serviced.

Today, I'm going to show, with photographs, how to reoil/regrease a fan bearing.

Have selected a pair of fans I've had for years. Neither actually NEED servicing, but for the purpose of today's demonstration, they will make for a good showing.

The first up is a CoolerMaster 120MM model.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-01.jpgCoolerMaster120mmFan-02.jpg

Let's begin by pealing up the label, but take care not to pull it completely off.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-03.jpg

Most fans have a rubber or plastic gasket covering the bearing chamber. It needs to be lifted up.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-03.jpg

I use a razor blade to gently lift it up but a small flat-tip screw driver should do the trick as well.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-04.jpg

Now that we have direct access to the bearing chamber, we can apply the lubricant. I use a special blend mix of 10W40 motor oil and Dielectric grease in a 50/50 ratio.
However, any quality oil will work fine. Try to avoid spray-can lubricants as they can be very messy to apply. WD-40 and similar spray fluids should be avoided as they're not designed to be a bearing oil and degrade/break-down easily.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-05.jpg

It's easy to apply and only 3 or 4 drops are needed.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-06.jpg

Not shown is how work the lube into the bearing shaft housing. Holding the frame of the fan with one hand and the fan hub in the other and work the fan hub in and out a few times. Then spin the fan a bit. Then pull the hub in and out a few times. Repeat that cycle a few times and your fan bearing is now well lubricated. Put the gasket back in place and seal the label back up.
CoolerMaster120mmFan-07.jpg

And you're done!

Now we're going to look at a fan that is NOT easily serviced. This is uncommon, but they do exist. This example is from a Sparkle GeForce GTX560 2GB model.
SparkleGTX560-2GB-01.jpgSparkleGTX560-2GB-08.jpg

Here is the fan dismounted from the heatsink.
SparkleGTX560-2GB-09.jpgSparkleGTX560-2GB-10.jpg

And again we lift up the label.
SparkleGTX560-2GB-11.jpg

Here I had to use a drill to remove some of the plastic frame to get access to the bearing chamber.
SparkleGTX560-2GB-12.jpg

With this particular fan, the spaces in the bearing chamber housing are smaller and as such, less lubricant will fit in. I used 2 drops in this case. Worked the lube into the bearing by spinning the fan and doing the pull/push thing on the fan hub, then put in one more drop. Then I sealed up the label again.

Anyone is invited to pose questions and ask for advice on how to perform a fan servicing. Photo's are always helpful and encouraged. Please limit resolution to 1920x1080ish and use the "Attach files" button to post photo's directly in the forum post. External image hosting services can be troublesome.

As far as the "best" lubricant to use, I use something special and I can give a guide on how to make it, but any bearing oil you can find at a hardware store will do the job well.

So there you go folks, be courageous and service your fans with confidence! Cheers All!

@Greenslade

While I created this guide for everyone, you were the motivator for this thread. I hope this helps with your fan issue.

Last edited:
System Name MPG
Processor i3-10105F
Motherboard Z490 Gaming Plus (MS-7C75)
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory GSkill RipJawsV 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6Gb AERO ITX OC
Storage NVMW WD Black SN750 Samsung EVO 840 SSD and Mechanical TBs...
Display(s) Asus VS278Q
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 Yamaha AV Creative DTT2200
Power Supply Corsair RM-1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 10/11
Well done, will be useful for users that didn't know how simple can be.
On fans that have the seal cap, after por oil i also seal it with grease on top, then the rubber/plastic cap.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Good timing, I just pulled a 120mm Scythe out to see if it could be lubed. Had a long and hard life on a heat sink before working tirelessly as an exhaust fan. Things went a bit less smoothly than above.

Lots of heat dried up the glue and sticker to point of no two millimeters in any direction pulling away the same layers. Only to discover Scythe does a handmade four layer seal with lens. Hard to see the layers of plastic and glue intended to forbid access and make the seal air tight. After much thought I closed this up with heavy duty 3M clear packing tape splices in a sunburst pattern.

Good point to note I have a tiny bottle of very light machine oil (technically what is recommended) that came with a hair clippers. If you know what you are doing you can get away with mixing stuff that won't gum up.

IMG_20230413_133325462-2.jpg

And here I had to use a drill to remove some of the plastic frame to get access to the bearing chamber.

Got a good laugh out of just casually doing exploratory drilling to avoid conceding defeat.

power tool GIF

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Good advice. I think most people don't know which grease/oil to use so they just toss the fan.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Great tutorial. Wish I would have known PC fans were so easy to service, I would have thrown a lot less away over the years.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
They say don't use detergent oil, but I happily use fully synthetic 5W-30 engine oil.

Last edited:
System Name MPG
Processor i3-10105F
Motherboard Z490 Gaming Plus (MS-7C75)
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory GSkill RipJawsV 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6Gb AERO ITX OC
Storage NVMW WD Black SN750 Samsung EVO 840 SSD and Mechanical TBs...
Display(s) Asus VS278Q
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 Yamaha AV Creative DTT2200
Power Supply Corsair RM-1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 10/11
Well keep in mind that there's a limit for this "fix"...
Some bearings and axles can be sever damaged already and after this maintenance, some will still be a little noisy.

I've had some success refreshing some old Hiper and Xigmatek fans with 3 in One motor oil before.
That oil is a good one and will work well.

Great tutorial. Wish I would have known PC fans were so easy to service, I would have thrown a lot less away over the years.
Hopefully you do less throwing away of fans in future! :toast:

They say don't use detergent oil, but I happily use fully synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.
Um, I have been using synthetic motor oils as fan oil for years. I don't think the detergents in motor oils have any negative effect on fan bearings or the bearing chamber housing. So, yeah 5W30 should be fine. I use 10W40 with grease because it's a bit thicker and generally provides better wear protection on the bearing itself.

Some bearings and axles can be sever damaged already and after this maintenance, some will still be a little noisy.
This is true, but is also rare. I have to toss fans very rarely because they failed even after being serviced.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
Um, I have been using synthetic motor oils as fan oil for years. I don't think the detergents in motor oils have any negative effect on fan bearings or the bearing chamber housing. So, yeah 5W30 should be fine. I use 10W40 with grease because it's a bit thicker and generally provides better wear protection on the bearing itself.

I think the agument is that detergent oils keep the particles in suspension, while the non-detergent oils don't; but my fans seem to just keep working on engine oil.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of complaints recently about users experiencing problems with the fans in there system.

Most fans are serviceable by design. Whether they're a case fan, a fan mounted on a CPU heatsink or a fan mounted on a GPU heatsink, the vast majority of fans can be serviced.

Today, I'm going to show, with photographs, how to reoil/regrease a fan bearing. He we go.

I've selected a pair of fans I've had for years. Neither actually NEED servicing, but for the purpose of today's demonstration, they will make for a good showing.

The first is a CoolerMaster 120MM model.
View attachment 291969View attachment 291970
Let's first peal up the label, but take care not to pull it completely off.
View attachment 291971

Most fans have rubber or plastic gasket covering the bearing chamber. It needs to be lifted up.
View attachment 291971

I use a razor blade to gently lift it up but a small flat-tip screw driver should do the trick as well.
View attachment 291972

Now that we have direct access to the bearing chamber, we can apply the lubricant. I use a special blend I mix using 10W40 motor oil and Dielectric grease in a 50/50 ratio.
However, any quality oil will work fine. Try to avoid spray-can lubricants as they can be very messy to apply. WD-40 should be avoided as it's not designed to be a bearing oil.
View attachment 291973

It's easy to apply and only 3 or 4 drops are needed.
View attachment 291974

Not shown is how work the lube into the bearing shaft housing. Holding the frame of the fan with one hand and the fan hub in the other and work the fan hub in and out a few times. Then spin the fan a bit. Then pull the hub in and out a few times. Repeat that cycle a few times and your fan bearing is now well lubricated. Put the gasket back in place and seal the label back up.
View attachment 291975
And you're done!

Now we're going to look at a fan that is NOT easily serviced. This is uncommon, but they do exist. This example is from a Sparkle GeForce GTX560 2GB model.
View attachment 291976View attachment 291977

Here is the fan dismounted from the heatsink.
View attachment 291978View attachment 291979

And again we lift up the label.
View attachment 291980

And here I had to use a drill to remove some of the plastic frame to get access to the bearing chamber.
View attachment 291981
With this particular fan, the spaces in the bearing chamber housing are smaller and as such, less lubricant will fit in. I used 2 drops in this case. Worked the lube into the bearing by spinning the fan and doing the pull/push thing on the fan hub, then put in one more drop. Then I sealed up the label again.

Anyone is invited to pose questions and ask for advice on how to perform a fan servicing. Photo's are always helpful and encouraged. Please limit resolution to 1920x1080ish and use the "Attach files" button to post photo's directly in the forum post. External image hosting services can be troublesome.

As far as the "best" lubricant to use, I use something special and I can give a guide on how to make it, but any bearing oil you can find at a hardware store will do the job well.

So there you go folks, be courageous and service your fans with confidence! Cheers All!

@Greenslade

While I created this guide for everyone, you were the motivator for this thread. I hope this helps with your fan issue.
Thanks for doing this poet Lex. :)I will give it a go tomorrow:)

Thank You!

Hoping so. I've read about people throwing away perfectly good fans when all they need is a bit of TLC. GPU fans can be even more troublesome because people just don't know how to relubricate them.
The one I threw out the fan was working, but the picture on the Monitor had lines all over it.o_O

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Fair enough. Had never heard about that before now.
I used to rebuild electric fans (the 120 volt type). One thing I discovered about using oil on the ones with bronze or oil-lite bearings is that most conventional oils only sped up the wear process on the bearings. They'd work OK for a while then the armature shafts would get sloppy and wear out the bearings even faster. One day I'd just changed the oil in my Cadillac Northstar (5w-30 Mobil 1) and noticed the extremely thin leftover in the bottom of the 5 quart container. I poured it into a small plastic bottle I used for the oil I assembled slot car motors with. The bearing wear stopped happening and the fans lasted a lot longer. It also worked great on computer fans.

Now I use Anderol 465 that's specifically formulated for motor bearings. Amazon is vastly overpriced, do a Google search for the best deal. That's what Technics has used for decades as the spindle lubricant in their turntables.

Last edited:
System Name MiGHTY_MOUSE.final.02
Processor 11900
Motherboard z590i-UNIFY
Cooling Thermalright SS135 Black
Memory G-Skill Trident 32GB
Video Card(s) 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage 980 PRO 2TB / 870 QVO 4TB / Exos 8TB
Display(s) UltraGear 32GP750-B
Case Phantom Powerboard v5.1
Audio Device(s) M-Audio EX-66
Power Supply SuperNOVA 1000 G6
Mouse X20
Keyboard Z15
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/spy/41592414
That's what Technics has used for decades as the spindle lubricant in their turntables.
i (still) :love: my 1200-mkIIs

Today, I'm going to show, with photographs, how to reoil/regrease a fan bearing. He we go.
Thank You Lex, for your easy-to-follow guide w/pix. Will this mixture of lube work for Hydro (Fluid) Dynamic Bearing fans as well?

I used to rebuild electric fans (the 120 volt type). One thing I discovered about using oil on the ones with bronze or oil-lite bearings is that most conventional oils only sped up the wear process on the bearings. They'd work OK for a while then the armature shafts would get sloppy and wear out the bearings even faster.
Interesting. Those kinds of fans are very specialized and require specially formulated lubricants.
One day I'd just changed the oil in my Cadillac Northstar (5w-30 Mobil 1) and noticed the extremely thin leftover in the bottom of the 5 quart container. I poured it into a small plastic bottle I used for the oil I assembled slot car motors with. The bearing wear stopped happening and the fans lasted a lot longer. It also worked great on computer fans.
Nice. Seems like a happy accidental find!
Now I use Anderol 465 that's specifically formulated for motor bearings. Amazon is vastly overpriced, do a Google search for the best deal. That's what Technics has used for decades as the spindle lubricant in their turntables.
Fair enough, I'll look that up.

Will this mixture of lube work for Hydro (Fluid) Dynamic Bearing fans as well?
I want to say no. I've never needed to service one before because that just don't get jammed like normal sleeve-bearing and ball-bearing fans can and do. This is likely because they are pressure fit sealed.

I used to rebuild electric fans (the 120 volt type). One thing I discovered about using oil on the ones with bronze or oil-lite bearings is that most conventional oils only sped up the wear process on the bearings. They'd work OK for a while then the armature shafts would get sloppy and wear out the bearings even faster. One day I'd just changed the oil in my Cadillac Northstar (5w-30 Mobil 1) and noticed the extremely thin leftover in the bottom of the 5 quart container. I poured it into a small plastic bottle I used for the oil I assembled slot car motors with. The bearing wear stopped happening and the fans lasted a lot longer. It also worked great on computer fans.

I have just looked it up on eBay and Amazon for £9 a bottle o_OThe card only cost me a pound needless to say I won't be bothering to get the fan working. It gives me a post on the Monitor.:)

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Thanks for the time and effort, very helpful post!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Very nice tutorial, Lex. No doubt, performing these tasks will definitely prolong the life of many fans. :)

Hoping so. I've read about people throwing away perfectly good fans when all they need is a bit of TLC. GPU fans can be even more troublesome because people just don't know how to relubricate them.
It gets worse than that. I have seen too many graphics cards, CPU coolers, and power supplies end up in the trash bin simply because the fan failed or was making too much noise. Your tutorial will [hopefully] help keep some of that waste from happening.

It should be noted, re-lubing a fan will not repair or restore worn bearings. Once damaged, that damage is done. It may quiet some noisy bearings for a while, but it is a temporary fix. So this re-lubing procedure would be a great "preventative maintenance" step to perform before damaging wear occurs in the first place. Of course, predicting when irrepable damage will occur is impossible. That said, "temporary" could still mean years! :) Or a couple weeks. :(

I have to say, none of those fans are "serviceable by design". Fans that are serviceable "by design" have an access panel or port that flips open, or has a door that can easily be unscrewed just for this purpose. When serviceable by design, access does not require peeling off labels, prying out plugs with a razor blade, and especially does not require drilling holes.

Still, that does not mean they are not user-serviceable. Like many other products, many of these fans are not designed to be serviced by the end-user, or by anyone for that matter, simply because the manufacturer would much rather we spend more money, buy all new and keep their shareholders happy. :(

They say don't use detergent oil
I don't think the detergents in motor oils have any negative effect on fan bearings or the bearing chamber housing
Lex is correct to say detergent oils will not harm the bearings or the bearing chambers/channels. The problem with detergent oils is they, by design, will break down some greases and help remove and prevent the build-up of "oil sludge" - crud caused by dust and other debris then mixes with the lubricants and contaminates the bearings. Often aided by heat caused by friction, this sludge then gels and hardens - which is detrimental to the proper movement of the bearings, compounding the friction (and heat) problem.

Some may remember the old motor oil commercials where the mechanic "washed" his greasy hands with new motor oil. Some fans use grease or special oils and detergent oil may break down the lubricant.

Dust and other debris is not a problem with these fans because the bearings are sealed just to prevent such contamination. So the problem with detergent oils is they make break down the desired lubricants used by the fan manufacturers, rendering the lubricant less effective. Not good.

Having said that, worn bearings, even in sealed chambers, still may become contaminated with crud from the particles worn off the bearings and the channel walls the bearings run in.

For this reason, when I want to see if I can extend the life, or quiet a noisy fan, what I tend to do is completely de-grease the bearing chamber with a de-greaser, then clean out the de-greaser with electrical contact cleaner. This is a messy process so do it outside, over newspaper or the like. Then, after ensuring the motor is completely dry, I repack the bearings either with white grease (if originally had grease) or with a good "non-detergent" oil such as Liberty Oil (designed for sewing machine motors), or 3-in-on SAE 20 non-detergent motor oil. And because it is likely I have destroyed the label in the cleaning process, I make a new seal with clear Gorilla Tape.

I agree completely and folks should avoid using "regular" WD-40 and all other spray-lubricants. The problem here is, even if good for the bearings, there most likely will be "overspray" that will prevent the label from re-sealing effectively. Without a proper seal, it will not be long before the bearing chamber gets packed with dust. Not good.

As a side note, excellent image quality, Lex and if you didn't use a tripod, I envy your steady hands! ;)

Memory 16GB DDR3
I am lazy and don't clean out the old dried out grease, arguing that the old grease matrix will get renovated and help hold the oil.

I've had some success refreshing some old Hiper and Xigmatek fans with 3 in One motor oil before.

Seems this is indeed a non-detergent oil
Amazon.com: 3-IN-ONE-10045 Motor Oil, 3 OZ (pack of 1) : Automotive

However I'm not so sure I would go as far as
"if you use a detergent oil or wd40 etc on an electric fan etc the sintered brass bearings will shed & wear down"

Last edited:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Great guide lex, I've never had (or even seen) one that is covered by the plastic frame, but I HAVE had a few issues with the stickers that cover them. Not all stickers are made of robust foil-like material, and can be very hard to peel back without tearing. In some cases I have used a thick packaging tape over the torn sticker, like Duck Tape brand. If you had to completely fashion a new sticker, I imagine foil duct tape would be the way to go.

The oil I use is Liberty Synthetic, which is favored by those whom repair grandfather clocks. What I like about it is it's very resistant to high temps, and does not separate or dry out. It's a bit pricey at just under $10 an oz, but since you only need to use 2 or 3 drops, it lasts a LONG time. This stuff has quieted many a fan that I've run long enough for the lube to dry out, and are still running fine at over 10 yrs of use.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am lazy and don't clean out the old dried out grease, arguing that the old grease matrix will get renovated and help hold the oil.
I think that is a fair argument if the new lubricant uses the same formula as the original. But how would consumers know what the original lubricant is? That's the problem I see.

Lubricants can be very high-tech chemical formulas with different viscosities, different operating temperatures, designed for different operating environments. Mixing different formulas can bring unexpected, often undesirable results - even when the products serve the same or similar purposes. This is why we are not supposed to mix different cleaning agents - like bleach with ammonia. Or acrylic and enamel paints.

Some lubricants are silicon based. Some petroleum. Some graphite. Some include Teflon and/or other ingredients that may or may not interact in good ways with other ingredients.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
I put a piece of electrical tape in place of the sticker in case it no longer is tacky enough to hold in place. only reason I've done that though is because the particular fans I was lubing up did not have a plug. the only protection was the sticker.

I've always used 3 in 1 oil also to do these types of tasks. works well in my experience

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I put a piece of electrical tape in place of the sticker in case it no longer is tacky enough to hold in place. only reason I've done that though is because the particular fans I was lubing up did not have a plug. the only protection was the sticker.

I've always used 3 in 1 oil also to do these types of tasks. works well in my experience
Yeah I don't for the life of me get why electrical tape isn't made better. I've seen many mechanics use it even on wiring in engine bays of cars, only for it to come unstuck.

Mouse Logitech M190