• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Nature] A population of red candidate massive galaxies ~600 Myr after the Big Bang

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Were there no hypotheses in an attempt to save the theory of a big bang that happened 13.8 billion years ago, that "time", in other words, all processes at the beginning took place at a different speed than in normalized conditions? Of course, for an observer inside the universe who is contemporary with the processes, I don't know if it is possible to perceive a difference.

Maybe not through observation, but there could be some alternative to it.

I am convinced that as part of the universe, we cannot at all properly observe the initial stages (if there were existing) and to reach correct conclusions, many abstractions will be needed. In fact, it is not at all certain that we can prove what the correct conclusions are. So, they may have already been shown by any of the many different hypotheses and variations thereof that lie buried in the dust due to incorrect rejection. Um, there are even still parts of the universe that are beyond our line of sight, and probably some that will never fall into it regardless of the characteristics of the telescopes, unless we learn hyperlight speed, or space folding.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I am convinced that as part of the universe, we cannot at all properly observe the initial stages (if there were existing) and to reach correct conclusions, many abstractions will be needed. In fact, it is not at all certain that we can prove what the correct conclusions are. So, they may have already been shown by any of the many different hypotheses and variations thereof that lie buried in the dust due to incorrect rejection. Um, there are even still parts of the universe that are beyond our line of sight, and probably some that will never fall into it regardless of the characteristics of the telescopes, unless we learn hyperlight speed, or space folding.

The expansion, the cooling, it all points to a initial stage, pinpointing it may be difficult if not impossible, getting the exact details right is really hard, but the theory still holds strong in my opinion. Nothing changed with this discovery in that aspect i would say, with no degree of certainty :D

Kip Thorne looked at wormholes and found that a very strong material was needed to keep the mouth open; I found that such a material could be used to defy energy conservation, and so could not exist.

Can. J. Phys. 70, 458 (1992)
We've made a lot of discoveries since that statement was made. M-Theory is a perfect example.

The OP moved to wormholes, so I assume it's still on topic.
As they are related, my guess is yes, we're still on topic.

Nothing changed with this discovery in that aspect i would say, with no degree of certainty :D
Unfortunately, that only demonstrates a misunderstanding of the subject matter(no offense to you personally of course). Everything has changed. With the age of the Universe no longer in the set range we have been estimating, the theories that detail the events and calculations of projected effects can not longer be trusted and used. We now have to completely reform the equations used as a gauge from which many conclusions are based, including parts of General and Special Relativity. This will not be easy.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Unfortunately, that only demonstrates a misunderstanding of the subject matter(no offense to you personally of course). Everything has changed. With the age of the Universe no longer in the set range we have been estimating, the theories that detail the events and calculations of projected effects can not longer be trusted and used. We now have to completely reform the equations used as a gauge from which many conclusions are based, including parts of General and Special Relativity. This will not be easy.

Can't agree there, the range was based on estimates not numbers set in stone. Nothing about these discoveries puts the big bang in question, the expansion and cooling of the universe. It just needs further studying, a better experimentation process to get the details right, if we can ever get them right to a point everyone is happy with.

It does create a problem for the methods we used to arrive at some conclusions, and it does pose a serious problem to understand how those massive galaxies form. The theory is based on a chain of events and one of the links seem to be misaligned.

one of the links seem to be misaligned
Are you sure it's just one? Unfortunately, I'm not an astronomer, nor a physicist, and I don't even know where to look. I'm just guessing there are more reasons why proponents of this theory would blush profusely if asked.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Neah, it could be that some stuff happened sooner/faster than anticipated and the age of the Universe is the same (or barely moved at all). We don't know what has changes, until we make the necessary adjustments.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Are you sure it's just one? Unfortunately, I'm not an astronomer, nor a physicist, and I don't even know where to look. I'm just guessing there are more reasons why proponents of this theory would blush profusely if asked.

not sure about anything, me and a lot of people now, i think that's the main point to take of this

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
not sure about anything, me and a lot of people now, i think that's the main point to take of this

I'm not sure I am right either, more so it just rubs me the wrong way when I see famous astrophysicists make fun of people who think it is possible things like the Cosmos could be older than 13.8 billion years old, and I have seem them, their tone of voice, word usage, etc talking down to do others as if some of the science is 100% unchangeable. That's what rubs me the wrong way, ironically, those same scientists will then turn right around about other topics within science and say something reasonable like you do, "science changes as we gather more and more information and then re-evaluate, etc"

When in truth, we as a species would grow if we truly braced objective logic and reasoning in every facet of our being without ego. Such a way of thinking may have even prevented the World Wars, but who knows.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'm not sure I am right either, more so it just rubs me the wrong way when I see famous astrophysicists make fun of people who think it is possible things like the Cosmos could be older than 13.8 billion years old, and I have seem them, their tone of voice, word usage, etc talking down to do others as if some of the science is 100% unchangeable.
I guess it makes a difference if you can argue that point of view instead of just saying "yeah, I just feel like it's a lot more than 13.8 billion".

And again, if galaxies were found that were previously thought to form much later, doesn't automatically mean the Universe started earlier. It may also mean it started when we predicted it did, only some processes happened faster than we previously thought possible.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Deleted a few posts. Not contributing.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I guess it makes a difference if you can argue that point of view instead of just saying "yeah, I just feel like it's a lot more than 13.8 billion".

And again, if galaxies were found that were previously thought to form much later, doesn't automatically mean the Universe started earlier. It may also mean it started when we predicted it did, only some processes happened faster than we previously thought possible.

It also makes a difference when you don't belittle people, not saying you specifically, but for who my original post you quoted was meant for.

Reactions: bug

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
It also makes a difference when you don't belittle people, not saying you specifically, but for who my original post you quoted was meant for.
You can not belittle the first flat earther, the second, the third or the fourth one you encounter. But once you've explained (in vain) everything to a dozen of them or so, not belittling them becomes so much harder.
It's still not the right thing to do, I'm just saying I understand how some start doing it.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
All science is an eternal and unchangeable fact until some different science changes it fundamentally a year later.

As for the universe, my theory is that we'll never find intelligent life because the further we look in distance, the further we look in time as well, and the chance that intelligent life existed at those points in time diminishes. If you live on a different planet and you want to see humans on Earth, you can only look at the last ~10k years, which means your planet has to be within 10k lightyears, which is extremely tiny on a cosmic scale. Similarly, if we want to detect life similar to us that came to existence at a similar time on a similar planet to our own, then we can only look at ~10k lightyears, not further. There's not much in this distance, unfortunately. Therefore, if we want to detect life, it has to have been developed millions of years earlier than life on Earth, which isn't highly possible due to the age of the universe (that is, there's probably no life nearly as old as the universe).

Maybe these recently discovered galaxies change my theory?

I hope it's not off topic. Feel free to delete if it is. :ohwell:

Reactions: hat

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
All science is an eternal and unchangeable fact until some different science changes it fundamentally a year later.
This used to be the case until the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century, when we were able to formalize things rigorously. Since the theory of relativity showed us our equations held only in the particular case of relatively low speeds and we adjusted equations for that, there were no fundamental changes anymore.
Any further discoveries I expect will do the same: show us what we missed and need to adjust. Not show us we got it all wrong once again.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
This used to be the case until the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century, when we were able to formalize things rigorously. Since the theory of relativity showed us our equations held only in the particular case of relatively low speeds and we adjusted equations for that, there were no fundamental changes anymore.
Any further discoveries I expect will do the same: show us what we missed and need to adjust. Not show us we got it all wrong once again.
Even older theories were correct in the sense that they agreed with the observations at the time. As scientific instruments improved, we found that those theories couldn't explain new observations. Of course, there are exceptions. For instance, one of the problems that General Relativity solved was the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit around the Sun. Le Verrier, the discoverer of Neptune, discovered this anomaly in 1859.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Even older theories were correct in the sense that they agreed with the observations at the time. As scientific instruments improved, we found that those theories couldn't explain new observations. Of course, there are exceptions. For instance, one of the problems that General Relativity solved was the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit around the Sun. Le Verrier, the discoverer of Neptune, discovered this anomaly in 1859.
There's a distinction here between science and theory. What we now classify as science (i.e. verified theory) is what I expect will hold pretty much forever. Theories are another story. We have several of them trying to explain the quantum world and we already know they can't all the correct at the same time. Even though sometimes they can, if we're thinking about how light turned out to be both particle and wave (go figure).

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage 500GB SN550 WD Blue NVMe M.2
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply Apevia 600W Gold 80 Plus
Software Windows 11 Home
I think they are quantum interpretations as opposed to theories with differing predictions.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
We should not forget that we create science to explain our observations of the world around us, not the world itself. Our observations might change as we evolve.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I think they are quantum interpretations as opposed to theories with differing predictions.
Indeed, they are called interpretations. But they're really theories about what we observe (and can't make sense of).

Software Windows 11 Home
We should not forget that we create science to explain our observations of the world around us, not the world itself. Our observations might change as we evolve.

Absolutely, but so far not one observation has defied quantum theory.

Indeed, they are called interpretations. But they're really theories about what we observe (and can't make sense of).

They all make the same predictions, so observation can't decide between them.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Absolutely, but so far not one observation has defied quantum theory.
I meant in general, not specifically about quantum theory. :)

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Another great point.

Over our history, our observations have been limited to a patch of our world and a very basic picture of the sky. The 20th century meant we seriously cut back on the things we haven't looked at yet. In fact, this is what I'm basing my affirmation that I expect current science to hold forever: there are very few place left where we could observe something to turn science upside down. It's not impossible, but all things considered, very, very improbable imho.

Software Windows 11 Home
I meant in general, not specifically about quantum theory. :)

One of the most exciting thing is to find a theory is wrong.

Over our history, our observations have been limited to a patch of our world and a very basic picture of the sky. The 20th century meant we seriously cut back on the things we haven't looked at yet. In fact, this is what I'm basing my affirmation that I expect current science to hold forever: there are very few place left where we could observe something to turn science upside down. It's not impossible, but all things considered, very, very improbable imho.

Sometimes one does not even need observation, if there is a contradiction, as was true between Newtonian gravity and relativity.

Science remains at a loss as to what Dark Matter is.