• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bulldozer 50% Faster than Core i7 and Phenom II

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
//rant//

Ive pretty much been an AMD Fanboi due to Intel's ridiculous amount of Platform changes However AMDs best chips are competing with stuff Intel released 2 years ago and now to go forward with AMD you have to go to a new Platform...

Yes you can use AM3 cpus on a AM3+ board but as far as Ive seen there isn't any other reason to upgrade to an AM3+ board unless your buying a AM3+ cpu.

So unless AMD can give some type of reason not to switch brands and fast as you have to do a Platform change I can't see any reason to stick with them...

As of now Intel has the best bang for the buck......

AMD needs to get something out and SOON or at the very least they need to get some samples out for review...

//end rant//

I'm sorry but I must disagree with you on that one.

If you're low on funds as I am but would like to upgrade, this is perfect. I can now buy an AM3+ board to use my current cpu and later when more funds become available, get Bulldozer

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

If you're low on funds as I am but would like to upgrade, this is perfect. I can now buy an AM3+ board to use my current cpu and later when more funds become available, get Bulldozer

Agreed, and that's exactly what i plan to do when AM3+ boards come out.:) (if they're within my price range)

System Name 2K Gamer
Processor AMD 8370 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Pro Gaming / Aura 970
Cooling Corsair H60 AIO
Memory 16GB G. Skill RipJaw @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP! GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 600 Gig HDD (Raid 0 @ 7,500) / WD 1TB Blue @ 7,200 / PNY 128 GB SSD For Linux
Display(s) 27'' ASUS 144MHZ G-SYNC Read 1400p Gaming Monitor / 23'' LG LCD Flatron W2361VG 1080p @ 50,000:1
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1 HD Realtek
Power Supply 750w Corsair HX
Mouse Cougar Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse
Software Windows 10 64bit Education Edition

I'm on a budget too --that's why I went with AMD :) AM2/AM3 backwards compatible FTW :rockout:

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
I have an AM2+ board and bought an AM3 phenom II specifically to buy an AM3 board in the future, i had my eye on the asus crosshair iv extreme but it took so long to come out i thought i should just wait for sandy bridge and bulldozer to come out and upgrade then.

As I'm on an AM2+ board I'm using DDR2 so an AM3+ board would let me get some DDR3 and hopefully a better clocking north bridge for a while and if it's worth it an 8 core bulldozer when i feel like it.

It seams keeping AM3 cpu's compatible with the new boards will keep a lot of people happy.

D

Deleted member 67555

Well if your on a budget I suggest not buying any of those boards until the BD line is out and you see the performance of them....

I'm on AM3 on 3 systems and I don't see any reason to upgrade to the AM3+ boards over the AM3 boards that is unless
1) Bulldozer is competing with Sandy bridge or doing better
2) Cheap

Sorry but for someone that already has an AM3 board this is a tough sale
I just can't see switching when you would also need an AM3+ CPU to gain any benefit

So unless I see some Benches from some reliable sources that suggest a major advance over the competitions current lineup I couldn't justify my next build being AMD...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes, but what is the point in upgrading just the motherboard? It will add little performance to no performance or features, and you pay more for it then you would if you waited 6 months until you had the cash for the motherboard and processor.

It is an unneeded upgrade that you would be doing for no other reason than to be able to say you did it. People truly low on funds don't do that.

W

wahdangun

The only performance statement that we have made is for server, and you cannot make client performance assumptions based on that.

at launch.

so its true that bulldozer will be faster than magny cours ?

and btw is it true that AMD bring back FX line ? because if its true then i can't wait to buy it

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Yes, but what is the point in upgrading just the motherboard? It will add little performance to no performance or features, and you pay more for it then you would if you waited 6 months until you had the cash for the motherboard and processor.

It is an unneeded upgrade that you would be doing for no other reason than to be able to say you did it. People truly low on funds don't do that.

Doesn't mean to say that he will have the funds for both at that time ether. If going by what the rumors are saying these new CPU's arnt going to be cheap, so it would make sense to get a board now and then when the CPU's come out decide on what one he can afford.

At least he will be ready for Bulldozer and can sit back and wait for the CPU that fits his needs/budget the most.

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
I think there is one major point being missed here, we all love playing with new toys so it does not matter if there is a performance increase with just a new board then waiting to get a CPU later, it's new and shiny and we want to play with it :roll:

Thatguy

I have a thuban on a am2+ and I wan to migrate to a new socket, I am waiting for am3+ boards which seem a bit late in comming. this way I can stretch my thuban a bit further and the stepup to a BD when the time is right.

As to the FX line. If they drop these in like q4 2011 or q1 2012 I suspect they might be on 28nm and will be a refresh. I wonder if they are already spinning silicon now to see how that might go. Especially with the glo-fo 28nm announcements.

This would also give them timeto make whatever tweak and get some early testing in on bulk 28nm that should be comming 2012 1h.

Thatguy

I think there is one major point being missed here, we all love playing with new toys so it does not matter if there is a performance increase with just a new board then waiting to get a CPU later, it's new and shiny and we want to play with it :roll:

I was into build fast cars for a long time, fast computers are much cheaper and not nearly as dangerous.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Doesn't mean to say that he will have the funds for both at that time ether. If going by what the rumors are saying these new CPU's arnt going to be cheap, so it would make sense to get a board now and then when the CPU's come out decide on what one he can afford.

At least he will be ready for Bulldozer and can sit back and wait for the CPU that fits his needs/budget the most.

I have a thuban on a am2+ and I wan to migrate to a new socket, I am waiting for am3+ boards which seem a bit late in comming. this way I can stretch my thuban a bit further and the stepup to a BD when the time is right.

As to the FX line. If they drop these in like q4 2011 or q1 2012 I suspect they might be on 28nm and will be a refresh. I wonder if they are already spinning silicon now to see how that might go. Especially with the glo-fo 28nm announcements.

This would also give them timeto make whatever tweak and get some early testing in on bulk 28nm that should be comming 2012 1h.

Yes, but again that makes no sense. If you truly are worried about money, it makes no sense to pay more for a board now instead of waiting and usually paying less for the same board a few months later when you actually have the money for both the board and processor. Upgrading just the board now gains you nothing, it isn't necessary, so why do it? So you can tweak it? Well that doesn't make any sense, because you'll just have to re-tweak it with the new CPU. So you can play with something new? Well we do like doing that, but those of use that are really worried about money don't waste it just to play with something new...

Last edited:
System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
Well if your on a budget I suggest not buying any of those boards until the BD line is out and you see the performance of them....

Yes, but again that makes no sense. If you truly are worried about money, it makes no sense to pay more for a board now instead of waiting and usually paying less for the same board a few months later when you actually have the money for both the board and processor. Upgrading just the board now gains you nothing, it isn't necessary, so why do it? So you can tweak it? Well that doesn't make any sense, because you'll just have to re-tweak it with the new CPU. So you can play with something new? Well we do like doing that, but those of use that are really worried about money don't waste it just to play with something new...

1- It calms the upgrade itch
2- more than likely going to be less expensive than SB
3- gonna have to upgrade one day anyways, right?

Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home

Maybe you should read the posts again^ its already been explained, so don't ask why.

And lets get real here, a board is going to drop how much in the next 6moths realy? $20? at most? So it makes perfect sense to get a board now IF your funds do not go far enough for both parts, mobo and CPU, and like i said before im pretty sure these CPU's arnt going to be cheap, unless you know different?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

1- Calming the upgrade itch doesn't matter for people that worry about money.
2- The price of SandyBridge doesn't matter one bit here.
3- Correct, but spending money now for no improvement doesn't make sense. Spend all the money at once when you can afford the processor as well.

Maybe you should read the posts again^ its already been explained, so don't ask why.

And lets get real here, a board is going to drop how much in the next 6moths realy? $20? at most? So it makes perfect sense to get a board now IF your funds do no go far enough for both parts, mobo and CPU, and like i said before im pretty sure these CPU's arnt going to be cheap, unless you know different?

In 6 months? $50-60 at least, depending on the board. It does not make perfect sense to upgrade just the motherboard. Again, you point was about people that don't have a lot of money, but you don't want to save money. Even if it is $20, $20 is $20. There is no point in spending that $20 now just to upgrade the motherboard which gains you nothing. It doesn't matter what the processors will cost, your out of pocket expense will be the same. So your logic is faulty. The cost of the processor means nothing.

I'll lay it out for you so you understand.

If you have $200 now, and the board you want costs $200 now. So you buy the board now. You now have $0. In six months you make another $800, Bulldozer costs $800. So buy a Bulldozer processor. Your total out of pocket cost is $1000.

or

If you have $200 now, and the board you want costs $200 now. You don't buy the motherboard now, instead you save the $200.(Yes, that is possible.). You continue to get the same performance as if you bought the new motherboard. In six months you make another $800, you now have $1000. Bulldozer costs $800. The motherboard has dropped in price to $180. You buy both at the same time, your total out of pocket cost is $980. You get to buy some beer with that extra $20...WIN!!!

See, the price of the processor doesn't matter, that is a constant that you have to pay no matter what. So it is faulty logic to argue that the processor will be expensive, so you should buy the motherboard now. The only time that makes sense is if the concept of saving money doesn't exist...but it does.

If you say so^

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
1- Calming the upgrade itch doesn't matter for people that worry about money.
2- The price of SandyBridge doesn't matter one bit here.
3- Correct, but spending money now for no improvement doesn't make sense. Spend all the money at once when you can afford the processor as well.

In 6 months? $50-60 at least, depending on the board. It does not make perfect sense to upgrade just the motherboard. Again, you point was about people that don't have a lot of money, but you don't want to save money. Even if it is $20, $20 is $20. There is no point in spending that $20 now just to upgrade the motherboard which gains you nothing. It doesn't matter what the processors will cost, your out of pocket expense will be the same. So your logic is faulty. The cost of the processor means nothing.

I'll lay it out for you so you understand.

If you have $200 now, and the board you want costs $200 now. So you buy the board now. You now have $0. In six months you make another $800, Bulldozer costs $800. So buy a Bulldozer processor. Your total out of pocket cost is $1000.

or

If you have $200 now, and the board you want costs $200 now. You don't buy the motherboard now, instead you save the $200.(Yes, that is possible.). You continue to get the same performance as if you bought the new motherboard. In six months you make another $800, you now have $1000. Bulldozer costs $800. The motherboard has dropped in price to $180. You buy both at the same time, your total out of pocket cost is $980. You get to buy some beer with that extra $20...WIN!!!

See, the price of the processor doesn't matter, that is a constant that you have to pay no matter what. So it is faulty logic to argue that the processor will be expensive, so you should buy the motherboard now. The only time that makes sense is if the concept of saving money doesn't exist...but it does.

counter plan. that i actually did.

Buy cheap motherboard (785G in my case) and cheap CPU for socket (since i had none at the time - reuse old one here if applicable)

save money. buy new CPU (thuban for me), other CPU becomes spare.

buy new motherboard (in my case, went to DDR3 as well)

suddenly - old CPU and budget mobo (and in my case, the ram) are free. damn, second PC to sell and offset the cost (or, become my HTPC)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
If you say so^

You don't?

You say "why" is because the processor will be expensive, so explain why that matters. Is your out of pocket cost less if you buy the board months before the processor? Does that logic make sense to you?

counter plan. that i actually did.

Buy cheap motherboard (785G in my case) and cheap CPU for socket (since i had none at the time - reuse old one here if applicable)

save money. buy new CPU (thuban for me), other CPU becomes spare.

buy new motherboard (in my case, went to DDR3 as well)

suddenly - old CPU and budget mobo (and in my case, the ram) are free. damn, second PC to sell and offset the cost (or, become my HTPC)

How do you figure they were free? Because you had them left over at the end? That doesn't make them free, it just means you paid for extra shit you didn't need. Was your overall out of pocket expense the same by buying the cheap board and processor first as it would have been by just buying what you ended up with up front?

D

Deleted member 67555

Yes but does it put the lotion on it's skin...

I feel you But as Newteckie said the prices always fall dramatically within a month or two

You don't?

You say "why" is because the processor will be expensive, so explain why that matters. Is your out of pocket cost less if you buy the board months before the processor? Does that logic make sense to you?

Well of course it will be expensive, don't you think it will be?

Illl say it for the third time, IF his budget does NOT cover for both a mobo and a CPU then it makes SENSE to buy a mobo now that can handle future CPU's (Bulldozer) so there for WHEN the CPU's come out, then he can decide on what one he wants and affords, its just plain common sense, shit even id do the same.

And come on how is he out of pocket? hello he would be buying one anyway so there for why not get it in stages IF thats how he can afford it.

He might have lots of bills or whatever,and not have enough cash at that time to afford both, it doesn't matter, its up to the individual and in this case this is the way HE can make it work.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Well of course it will be expensive, don't you think it will be?

Again, I never said the processor wouldn't be expensive. I'm saying it doesn't matter. The cost of the CPU is fixed no matter what. So it being expensive doesn't matter.

Illl say it for the third time, IF his budget does NOT cover for both a mobo and a CPU then it makes SENSE to buy a mobo now that can handle future CPU's (Bulldozer) so there for WHEN the CPU's come out, then he can decide on what one he wants and affords, its just plain common sense, shit even id do the same.

And I'll say again, it makes no sense to upgrade from the perfectly functional motherboard he has now. There is no reason to do this. If he was building a new machine from scratch, yes it would make sense, but that isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about a situation where he already has a fully functional motherboard working with the processor he already has and wants to continue to use.

And come on how is he out of pocket? hello he would be buying one anyway so there for why not get it in stages IF thats how he can afford it.

Again, it is called saving. If you've got the money for the board now, you have the money for the board in 6 months, and the parts get cheaper in time. So if you are that concerned with the money, it only makes sense to buy the motherboard when you actually need it, and not as soon as you can afford it to replace a motherboard that is already working perfectly.

He might have lots of bills or whatever,and not have enough cash at that time to afford both, it doesn't matter, its up to the individual and in this case this is the way HE can make it work.

Again, there is this new concept, I'm not sure if you've heard of it, it is called saving your money.:banghead: If he has the money now, he'll have it in 6 months, so he will have the money to afford both.

Again, I never said the processor wouldn't be expensive. I'm saying it doesn't matter. The cost of the CPU is fixed no matter what. So it being expensive doesn't matter.

What??? But that is the point we are trying to put across^ :wtf:

And I'll say again, it makes no sense to upgrade from the perfectly functional motherboard he has now. There is no reason to do this. If he was building a new machine from scratch, yes it would make sense, but that isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about a situation where he already has a fully functional motherboard working with the processor he already has.

Yes he might have a perfectly good mobo now, but the point is he wants to upgrade to bulldozer and this way is the cheapest option for him at this stage. And he wont be building a new machine from scratch, it wont be needed, so once again a mobo is the best option at this stage cost willing.

Again, it is called saving. If you've got the money for the board now, you have the money for the board in 6 months, and the parts get cheaper in time. So if you are that concerned with the money, it only makes sense to buy the motherboard when you actually need it, and not as soon as you can afford it to replace a motherboard that is already working perfectly.

Again that's YOUR view, its a good view dont get me wrong, but some people can not do this, and can only make a purchase with what they have got at that time.

Again, there is this new concept, I'm not sure if you've heard of it, it is called saving your money.:banghead: If he has the money now, he'll have it in 6 months, so he will have the money to afford both.

Again your view, just remember not everyone out there can save that amount of money for both partsm good for you if you can, congrades, but come on, we trying to help out someone that cant afford both that would like to move to the new Skt and the way he said is indeed the most common sense direction.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
What??? But that is the point we are trying to put across^ :wtf:

You've failed at it. In fact, you have yet to even provide any point about why the processor being expensive matters.

Yes he might have a perfectly good mobo now, but the point is he wants to upgrade to bulldozer and this way is the cheapest option for him at this stage. And he wont be building a new machine from scratch, it wont be needed, so once again a mobo is the best option at this stage cost willing.

How is paying more money cheaper? The best/cheapest option at this stage is doing nothing, and saving the money. Then buy the board and processor at the same time. The processor price doesn't matter because it is the same no matter what. And again, if he has $200 now, he could stick that $200 under the mattres and he will still have it in 6 months when he can afford the processor.

Again that's YOUR view, its a good view dont get me wrong, but some people can not do this, and can only make a purchase with what they have got at that time.

Some people can't do this? I'm pretty sure everyone can save money that they already have. Why exactly would someone not be able to save the $200 they have?

Again your view, just remember not everyone out there can save that amount of money for both partsm good for you if you can, congrades, but come on, we trying to help out someone that cant afford both that would like to move to the new Skt and the way he said is indeed the most common sense direction.

Yes, everyone can save. Some people might not like it, but everyone can save money. It isn't going to disappear if it isn't spent instantly, I assure you.

You've failed at it. In fact, you have yet to even provide any point about why the processor being expensive matters.

No sir you have failed at it, you have not seen that it would cost more at that time to buy both, would it not? So please do not make me explain again. This all means something because he can not afford both, thats the point.

How is paying more money cheaper? The best/cheapest option at this stage is doing nothing, and saving the money. Then buy the board and processor at the same time. The processor price doesn't matter because it is the same no matter what. And again, if he has $200 now, he could stick that $200 under the mattres and he will still have it in 6 months when he can afford the processor.

I have already explained this before, go read it back there^ and make sure this time to READ it.
Also it doesnt mean he will have that cash, i think your just saying this how you would do it with your finances? Im saying this for the people that cant do it all in one hit, hell isnt this WHY AMD made these motherboards compatible for the older CPU's?

Some people can't do this? I'm pretty sure everyone can save money that they already have. Why exactly would someone not be able to save the $200 they have?

Im not sure what world you live in, but im sorry not all people have this luxury.

Yes, everyone can save. Some people might not like it, but everyone can save money. It isn't going to disappear if it isn't spent instantly, I assure you.

As above^