• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Hack More Severe Than Thought: Change Your Password NOW

J

John Doe

Oh please. It doesn't matter who hacked the forum and whatever other database they managed to get in to. If they got to the CC information, which Valve said they could at least see (note, see, not download), Valve screwed up as far as security goes. That seems like a poor security design on their part if it was tied in any way to the forum or steam profile database directly.

Look, the forum and Steam itself have nothing to do with each other. SPUF is a craptastic forum where people say whatever they want with the mods (volunteer "user" mods) do what they want. Workers from VALVe don't read or care about it. It's a forum left for users to create their own feedback. However, sadly, it instead is full of locked threads and banned people due to insults/trolls, "I'm VAC BANned!" threads and whatever you name it.

As such, VALVe didn't "screw up". Steam is driven off different content servers from all across the globe, unlike the forum which is a vBulletin ran off Washington from VALVe HQ (ping it/look at Steam settings).

You don't know what you're talking about.

As far as knowing who did it, prove it. Because their advertisement was on the forums? That doesn't mean anything. Some one else could have done it to draw attention to those people as a distraction. You don't know what happened, nor who hacked their database or what they really had access to. Unless, of course, you personally know these hackers? In which case I hope some one comes to question you soon.

That's a pretty absurdist statement... also, I assumed it's fkn0wned themselves to take attention (buy their private hacks). It was worded that way, yes, it may be someone else, BUT, Steam is running perfect and please read Gabe's message again. He says "might be/just in case, and we think". He's not sure and is assuming. So it's not to be relied on.

I can't think of anyone who would purchase all of their stuff again from a company who screwed up. Seriously, that's some backwards logic. "Oh, their insecure and won't help me get my account back? Sure! I'll buy all my stuff off of your service again" - totally.

Like I said, not everyone thinks that way. Lots of people go on about cheating, getting VAC banned then buying a new game again. VAC for example uses delayed bans (a few weeks) which makes doing that act possible. As such, it's not unnormal to think of some people to buy their games again. The majority of people are uninformed. They'd think like; this account is banned, gone. Have to open a new one. Whenever they can't login in such case. You're thinking of yourself, not the average majority.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Dear Gabe,

Release Half Life 3 soon. All will be forgiven.

Love,

Erocker.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Who in their right mind would abandon their account to buy another game FROM THE PLACE THAT "LOST" THEIR ACCOUNT? IF ANYTHING THEY'D LOSE CUSTOMERS. At first, I'd try to resolve the issue with Steam etc... If I didn't care for the account I just wouldn't go to Steam at risk of losing the game I just bought.

Your theory has not been thought through, and is quite an accusation you are doing against steam for a few bucks.

Seriously, calm down the paranoia about conspiracies. No, by defending steam I'm not secretly working for that you make them 10$

J

John Doe

Who in their right mind would abandon their account to buy another game FROM THE PLACE THAT "LOST" THEIR ACCOUNT? IF ANYTHING THEY'D LOSE CUSTOMERS. At first, I'd try to resolve the issue with Steam etc... If I didn't care for the account I just wouldn't go to Steam at risk of losing the game I just bought.

Your theory has not been thought through, and is quite an accusation you are doing against steam for a few bucks.

Seriously, calm down the paranoia about conspiracies. No, by defending steam I'm not secretly working for that you make them 10$

A bunch of people would. The majority aren't smart, and people would buy it again to play the game they want to play. So it's not easy to just lose a customer right away. People will most the time come back to open a new account when theirs get stolen/banned. You're suggesting someone to either play on their account or not game at all (given it's mostly Steam-based games).

So it might land them more than $10 till this issue gets resolved. A theory is all I can make from this point.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
K so I buy a game from you, and it works for 1 month... then it stops one day. That day I HAVE to buy another game, so I decide to buy from you again? Damn you under estimate Joe Everyman more than Mr McC over estimates him lol

And can't most access their steam accounts? I can... Most will try more than once to access it and will get through anyways...

you seriously have a flawed theory. It's like saying that a hot girl wants to bang you and marry you or be your sex slave because she smiled at you and asked what you wanted at McD...

Coreinsanity

Look, the forum and Steam itself have nothing to do with each other. SPUF is a craptastic forum where people say whatever they want with the mods (volunteer "user" mods) do what they want. Workers from VALVe don't read or care about it. It's a forum left for users to create their own feedback. However, sadly, it instead is full of locked threads and banned people due to insults/trolls, "I'm VAC BANned!" threads and whatever you name it.

As such, VALVe didn't "screw up". Steam is driven off different content servers from all across the globe, unlike the forum which is a vBulletin ran off Washington from VALVe HQ (ping it/look at Steam settings).

You don't know what you're talking about.

That's a pretty absurdist statement... also, I assumed it's fkn0wned themselves to take attention (buy their private hacks). It was worded that way, yes, it may be someone else, BUT, Steam is running perfect and please read Gabe's message again. He says "might be/just in case, and we think". He's not sure and is assuming. So it's not to be relied on.

Really?

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

Also, I don't give a rats butt about the steam forums. I have never even read it. And like I said, if all that was hacked was some forum database, I wouldn't care. But based on what I'm reading on their page, it sounds like they were able to also access the database which contains user and CC information (Though encrypted).

It makes no sense for Valve to admit credit card information was exposed when it really wasn't. They ARE responsible for keeping our information secure, and if what they say is true then they failed at that. As unlikely as it is that anyone was able to copy the information, let alone decrypt it, Valve still screwed up if it was exposed (Especially if it was by the people you seem to think did it).

It's a perfectly valid attack to draw attention to one attack meanwhile another, more serious, attack takes place unnoticed due to the distraction.

You do realize that the THOUGHT of credit card information and identity theft happening because of a company, and a company admitting it, could mean a MASSIVE lost in business for that company due to a lack of trust from consumers. If I don't trust them and don't think they will keep my information safe, I am not going to buy a game from them.

Like I said, not everyone thinks that way. Lots of people go on about cheating, getting VAC banned then buying a new game again. VAC for example uses delayed bans (a few weeks) which makes doing that act possible. As such, it's not unnormal to think of some people to buy their games again. The majority of people are uninformed. They'd think like; this account is banned, gone. Have to open a new one. Whenever they can't login in such case. You're thinking of yourself, not the average majority.

That's different, that's people with too much money throwing it away for the chance to cheat. What I am saying is the average users who would quit because of their information being insecure would outweigh the number of people buying their games off of steam after they lose access to their account, especially if they contact steam to get it back and it fails. I'm not talking about people who got banned, I'm talking about honest people who don't cheat forgetting their information. If Valve doesn't help them get their account back, I doubt enough of them are going to purchase their stuff again to make this a valid scheme from Valve.

I'm not saying people wont buy their stuff again, I'm saying there aren't enough people who will to make Valve admit to their CC information even possibly being exposed when it wasn't. Seriously, I don't know where you come up with half of this. Even if it wasn't, and even if they say it MIGHT have happened instead of "it did" it's still a big deal and not something a company is going to admit to unless it REALLY happened or there is a risk of it having happened. I'm argueing against what looked like you saying Valve is over hyping this to the proportion of CC information being exposed so people buy more stuff from them, that makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

It makes no sense for Valve to admit credit card information was exposed when it really wasn't. They ARE responsible for keeping our information secure, and if what they say is true then they failed at that. As unlikely as it is that anyone was able to copy the information, let alone decrypt it, Valve still screwed up if it was exposed (Especially if it was by the people you seem to think did it).

It's a perfectly valid attack to draw attention to one attack meanwhile another, more serious, attack takes place unnoticed due to the distraction.

Regardless, it might well be a joke. VALVe has done similar things (yes, on a big scale/pointless) before. While you may think it'd affect their reputation, it still keeps strong as Steam is a proptietery standart. We still don't know what's going to come out of this.

I'm not saying people wont buy their stuff again, I'm saying there aren't enough people who will to make Valve admit to their CC information even possibly being exposed when it wasn't. Seriously, I don't know where you come up with half of this. Even if it wasn't, and even if they say it MIGHT have happened instead of "it did" it's still a big deal and not something a company is going to admit to unless it REALLY happened or there is a risk of it having happened. I'm argueing against what looked like you saying Valve is over hyping this to the proportion of CC information being exposed so people buy more stuff from them, that makes no sense at all.

It does make sense. Think of it, say you lost your account, what would you do? You'll be forced to open a new one with the thought of your old one getting hacked. Don't give me that bla bla "money trap! I wouldn't buy into the hacked system again". I'm pretty damn sure you would if you lost your games, and want to play them again. Yes, it's not a common situation. But the possibility is there.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I changed my password and appear to have lost all saved games on Revenge of the Titans. This is catastrophic. Anybody know how to fix this and why would the password change affect it? You have to sign up to ROTT in-game and I was prompted to do so after changing the Steam account password. Normally you are not required to sign in once the initial registration is made.

Coreinsanity

Regardless, it might well be a joke. VALVe has done similar things (yes, on a big scale/pointless) before. While you may think it'd affect their reputation, it still keeps strong as Steam is a proptietery standart. We still don't know what's going to come out of this.

Actually, I doubt it's a joke. If it is, then great. No real danger.

However, as a consumer I would be foolish to take it as a joke. And honestly, most companies don't joke about credit card information getting leaked. First off, they aren't going to be investigating it by themselves. If there is the potential for stolen credit card information, the government IS going to get involved. Steam/Valve doesn't want that, nor would they joke about it.

It does make sense. Think of it, say you lost your account, what would you do? You'll be forced to open a new one with the thought of your old one getting hacked. Don't give me that bla bla "money trap! I wouldn't buy into the hacked system again". I'm pretty damn sure you would if you lost your games, and want to play them again. Yes, it's not a common situation. But the possibility is there.

Screw that, there is no way I would pay a company that got my credit card information exposed to a third party and wouldn't help me recover my account. I would get them from the store, direct2drive or one of the other locations. I wouldn't buy them from the company that couldn't protect my information.

You're the one calling them a money trap, I'm saying if they were insecure enough to protect my data then it makes them look bad and I won't buy from them. Not because they are a money trap, but because they couldn't keep my data safe. I think DLC is a money trap, not them. And I don't buy DLC either (With the exception of fallout NV because it was all on sale one day for really cheap)

Edit: Furthermore, I wouldn't buy the games again. At that point, I would just say "screw it" and find something else to do. I can't think of any reason why I would buy something I already paid for, and lost due to a company not securing my data. To add to that, I can't think of any reason why I would buy the games from said company even if I were going to buy them again.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

Screw that, there is no way I would pay a company that got my credit card information exposed to a third party and wouldn't help me recover my account. I would get them from the store, direct2drive or one of the other locations. I wouldn't buy them from the company that couldn't protect my information.

Steam exclusives

Edit: Furthermore, I wouldn't buy the games again. At that point, I would just say "screw it" and find something else to do. I can't think of any reason why I would buy something I already paid for, and lost due to a company not securing my data. To add to that, I can't think of any reason why I would buy the games from said company even if I were going to buy them again.

if it was a game you were just having fun playing, you would. In fact, a thrilling game like CS:S (back then; 5 years ago) I would have bought it more than once if needed. Your points are valid, however you don't seem to have much experience with this system. Back in the day, I played Source games a couple thousand hours. So I for one know how it rolls.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Dear Gabe,

Release Half Life 3 soon. All will be forgiven.

Love,

Erocker.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if he did just that and either gifted it to current Steam members, or sold it cheaply to them.

That's assuming the game is anywhere near finished of course...

Coreinsanity

Steam exclusives

If it was a game you were just having fun playing, you would. In fact, a thrilling game like CS:S (back then; 5 years ago) I would have bought it more than once if needed. Your points are valid, however you don't seem to have much experience with this system. Back in the day, I played Source games a couple thousand hours. So I know how it rolls.

I honestly find the notion of me buying the games more than once funny. I have been around since about the time steam started. I got banned once because they claimed I shared my CD key (I didn't even know it had a CD key, I was 10 or 11 years old and as far as I was concerned I was just playing my games and then lolbanned for no apparent reason. They wouldn't reason with me or anything.)

You think I got my parents to buy the games again? Heck no(edit: To clarify, I didn't even ask them to buy it again), you think I bought them now that I'm older? Heck no. A friend of mine bought them for me, I told him what happened and not to do it,but he did it anyway. His money so whatever. Sure, I buy stuff on there now, but there is no way I'm going to pay them for something I already bought. I have more control over what I do and I care about my money enough that I will quit playing games before I do that, I'm sorry if you can't do that but that doesn't mean I can't.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

I honestly find the notion of me buying the games more than once funny. I have been around since about the time steam started. I got banned once because they claimed I shared my CD key (I didn't even know it had a CD key, I was 10 or 11 years old and as far as I was concerned I was just playing my games and then lolbanned for no apparent reason. They wouldn't reason with me or anything.)

Firstly, I'd like to say you're showing your age. That said, you can't get banned for "sharing your CD key". That's nonsense since your key is registered in the system; only once for product activation. You don't get "lolbanned" for no reason either. It's logged and the only reason someone gets banned is cheating due VAC. Other than that, they disable your account if they find out you're cracking (non-Steam). You can use one account on more than one instances, it'll just log the other user out saying "Steam ID is in use". It's doable as far as it goes. You either cheated or cracked.

You think I got my parents to buy the games again? Heck no(edit: To clarify, I didn't even ask them to buy it again), you think I bought them now that I'm older? Heck no. A friend of mine bought them for me, I told him what happened and not to do it,but he did it anyway. His money so whatever. Sure, I buy stuff on there now, but there is no way I'm going to pay them for something I already bought. I have more control over what I do and I care about my money enough that I will quit playing games before I do that, I'm sorry if you can't do that but that doesn't mean I can't.

You certainly would and still would have. I'm sure if I got your account right now, you'd be begging for me to give it back kid. Haha.

Coreinsanity

Firstly, I'd like to say you're showing your age. That said, you can't get banned for "sharing your CD key". That's nonsense since your key is registered in the system; only once for product activation. You don't get "lolbanned" for no reason either. It's logged and the only reason someone gets banned is cheating due VAC. Other than that, they disable your account if they find out you're cracking (non-Steam). You can use one account on more than one instances, it'll just log the other user out saying "Steam ID is in use". It's doable as far as it goes. You either cheated or cracked.

Duh. They thought I was trying to pirate or share games. That's why they banned me, and I was most certainly not. As I said, more than likely my account got hacked or the computer was compromised. Either way, I wasn't that old and didn't know a whole lot.

You certainly would and still would have. I'm sure if I got your account right now, you'd be begging for me to give it back kid. Haha.

No, I most certainly would not. If you got my account, I would be contacting steam to get it back or get it banned. Why would I go to you?

Furthermore, if they banned me I'm not going to waste a couple hundred USD to buy games again.

If you honestly want to keep believing that I'm going to buy games I already paid for, then have fun with it. I don't care about games that much, honestly I'm starting to think you're just trying to defend these points because you were one of the idiots who paid for all your games again. Edit: Also, I'm done arguing something that's off topic with you, and quite frankly pointless for me to argue with you about. You're obviously going to continue saying "Hurr yes you would".

Also, please, don't waste your time trying to make me angry. You won't, I have dealt with internet trolls and stupid people for a good 12 years.

J

John Doe

Duh. They thought I was trying to pirate or share games. That's why they banned me, and I was most certainly not. As I said, more than likely my account got hacked or the computer was compromised. Either way, I wasn't that old and didn't know a whole lot.

They don't ban you for trying to "share" your game. In any way, you don't know what you're talking about. Dufus! :laugh:

No, I most certainly would not. If you got my account, I would be contacting steam to get it back or get it banned. Why would I go to you?

Do you even know they don't give crap? If your account is gone, it's gone. If I changed all your details, you won't be able to take it back. And you can't get it "banned" either. VAC is automated. Period.

you were one of the idiots who paid for all your games again. Edit: Also, I'm done arguing something that's off topic with you, and quite frankly pointless for me to argue with you about. You're obviously going to continue saying "Hurr yes you would".

Get real.

Also, please, don't waste your time trying to make me angry. You won't, I have dealt with internet trolls and stupid people for a good 12 years.

Yet, according to you, you were 11 something some years ago? And now you're pulling back your BS? Guess this was "Plan B" eh? Internet tough guy. Run along...

Coreinsanity

They don't ban you for trying to "share" your game. In any way, you don't know what you're talking about. Dufus! :laugh:

Right, keep thinking game companies don't care if I share a CD key steam uses.

Do you even know they don't give crap? If your account is gone, it's gone. If I changed all your details, you won't be able to take it back. And you can't get it "banned" either. VAC is automated. Period.

I'm not talking about VAC. VAC doesn't have anything to do with my account getting hacked or CD keys, it's Valve ANTI CHEAT, not anti piracy. VAC isn't what would ban me, they would if they detected an odd amount of people logging into my steam account or a bunch of people using a CD key for a game on my account that happens to have one (eg: UT3 and Fable 3 ask me for CD keys when I first start them that install, if I recall).

Get real.

So that's basically a yes, you paid for your games twice.

Yet, according to you, you were 11 something some years ago? And now you're pulling back your BS? Guess this was "Plan B" eh? Internet tough guy. Run along...

I honestly don't understand what you're saying or are confused with. Aside from the failed attempt at calling me an "internet tough guy" what you're saying makes no sense. You're the one attempting to make me angry, aka "Trolling". I am not being an "internet tough guy", I am not threatening anyone or even calling you names. Unless of course you paid for all your games twice, in which case yes, you are an idiot.

Try again, "dufus", :laugh:
Way to show your age, "kid" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Was somebody passing out the laughing gas? What has any of this to do with the topic of the thread?

J

John Doe

Right, keep thinking game companies don't care if I share a CD key steam uses.

You can't share a Steam CD-key. Source keys and keys for other games are seperated, and can't get your account deactivated. Keys for Source games are logged once in your account never to be re-used again. As for the keys for other games, Steam doesn't have anything to do with them. It just holds the game GCF files and boots it up.

I'm not talking about VAC. VAC doesn't have anything to do with my account getting hacked, it's Valve ANTI CHEAT, not anti piracy. VAC isn't what would ban me, they would if they detected an odd amount of people logging into my steam account or a bunch of people using a CD key for a game on my account that happens to have one (eg: UT3 and Fable 3 ask me for CD keys when I first start them that install, if I recall).

Such thing doesn't exist. They don't deactivate your account for OTHER games (read non-Source). Only Source games are completely tied to your account. Steam just holds the other games to launch them.

So that's basically a yes, you paid for your games twice.

Sorry, not going to bother.

I honestly don't understand what you're saying or are confused with. Aside from the failed attempt at calling me an "internet tough guy" what you're saying makes no sense. You're the one attempting to make me angry, aka "Trolling". I am not being an "internet tough guy", I am not threatening anyone or even calling you names. Unless of course you paid for all your games twice, in which case yes, you are an idiot.

You're the one that doesn't understand anything that's being spoken here. You don't know what a GCF cache is or how the platform works. You don't have a grasp knowledge of the subject in hand; only throwing up idiotic statements like "using a CD-key twice" to get yourself "banned" (correction, deactivated) which doesn't happen. So I suggest you to move on.

Try again, "dufus", :laugh:
Way to show your age, "kid" :rolleyes:

Way to go buddy. Liked what you did there? Honestly, can you be more deceiving?

Coreinsanity

You can't share a Steam CD-key. Source keys and keys for other games are seperated, and can't get your account deactivated. Keys for Source games are logged once in your account never to be re-used again. As for the keys for other games, Steam doesn't have anything to do with them. It just holds the game GCF files and boots it up.

After doing some math (Yeah, fail on my part. I have moved a bunch and it seemed longer) it looks like I was banned about 6-7 years ago. I have been dealing with people like you since I was about 11, though (I'm 23 now).

Also, I'm just telling you what their support staff told me when I contracted them about it. Maybe they were just BSing? Who knows now, but the point was I got banned and never baught the games that were on it again.

Such thing doesn't exist. They don't deactivate your account for OTHER games (read non-Source). Only Source games are completely tied to your account. Steam just holds the other games to launch them.

This was back in mid 2004, I believe. All I had were source based games.

You're the one that doesn't understand anything that's being spoken here. You don't know what a GCF cache is, or how the platform works. You don't have a grasp knowledge of the subject in hand; you only throw up statements like "using a CD-key twice" to get yourself "banned" (correction, deactivated), which doesn't happen. So I suggest you to move on.

I never said anything about using a CD key twice. I said I wouldn't buy the games twice like you did, even if I lost my account.

Way to go buddy. Liked what you did there? Can you be more deceiving?

How was I being deceiving?

J

John Doe

After doing some math (Yeah, fail on my part. I have moved a bunch and it seemed longer) it looks like I was banned about 6-7 years ago. I have been dealing with people like you since I was about 11, though (I'm 23 now).

Having fun are we?

Also, I'm just telling you what their support staff told me when I contracted them about it. Maybe they were just BSing? Who knows now, but the point was I got banned and never baught the games that were on it again.

You don't get unbanned. In the history of Steam, not a single account got unbanned (for one guy). The system is completely automated. As for deactivating, it doesn't happen unless the hacker leaves obvious proof in his back (not change details that would give him away). Even then, they mostly don't bother with millions of people. So if someone gets your account and changes all the info, you lose it.

I never said anything about using a CD key twice. I said I wouldn't buy the games twice like you did, even if I lost my account.

You talked about sharing CD-key, which is nonsense since it's impossible to do. Once you log in a Source key, it gives you the game the code belongs to, and becomes unuseable. Yeah, you can do it in other games. But those don't have anything to do with your Steam account itself. Steam just holds them.

And where did I say I bought them twice? Show me proof that I said it. You can't, cause I didn't. I only used it as an example. It's you, you have been assuming ever since. Then changing your arguement when proven wrong. The burden of proof is on you.

How was I being deceiving?

Like they say, GIGO (look that up).

Coreinsanity

Having fun are we?

Quite a bit, thanks :)

You don't get unbanned. In the history of Steam, not a single account got unbanned (for one guy). The system is completely automated. As for deactivating, it doesn't happen unless the hacker leaves obvious proof in his back (not change details that would give him away). Even then, they mostly don't bother with millions of people. So if someone gets your account and changes all the info, you lose it.

I never said I got unbanned. I was saying I never bought the games again, a friend of mine (against my advise) bought them again for me. I told him what happened, but he did it anyway, not me. I am perfectly fine never using steam again if I lose my account, like I said I'll just go to the store or direct2drive. And I don't care about steam exclusives, the games I play (Skyrim, UT3, Fallout, Borderlands) aren't exclusively on steam.

You talked about sharing CD-key, which is nonsense since it's impossible to do. Once you log in a Source key, it gives you the game the code belongs to, and becomes unuseable. Yeah, you can do it in other games. But they don't have anything to do with your Steam account itself. Steam just holds them.

Again, telling you what they told me when I asked why I was banned/deactivated/whatever other term you want to call it.

And where did I say I bought them twice? Show me proof that I said it. You can't, cause I didn't. It's you, you have been assuming it ever since. I only used it as an example. And changing your arguement when proven wrong. The burden of proof is on you.

I have no burden of proof, nor do you. I honestly don't care if you believe me or not, nor do I care if you prove anything. And where did I change my argument, aside from miscalculating how long ago it was?

To answer your question, I am assuming so because you are so heavily defending something as asinine as "They are claiming what they are to get people to buy all their games again thinking their accounts where hacked", which honestly if you bought them all twice I couldn't blame you for needing to justify it and pass the blame off on the company rather than you.

Like they say, GIGO (look that up).

Don't need to. I was asking in what way I was being deceiving, because I was not.

J

John Doe

I never said I got unbanned. I was saying I never bought the games again, a friend of mine (against my advise) bought them again for me. I told him what happened, but he did it anyway, not me. I am perfectly fine never using steam again if I lose my account, like I said I'll just go to the store or direct2drive. And I don't care about steam exclusives, the games I play (Skyrim, UT3, Fallout, Borderlands) aren't exclusively on steam.

Well then that's not the case I was talking about. I relate using Steam to Steam exclusives, since, like you said, it's better off buying rest of the games from other sources and not tie them to Steam. Which is why I went on talking about buying Steam games all over again (in case of an account loss).

I have no burden of proof, nor do you. I honestly don't care if you believe me or not. And where did I change my argument, aside from miscalculating how long ago it was?

Changes of a valid, legitamate account getting closed is low that you really can't expect someone else to believe it. Even if it did happen, I'd still think you either cheated or cracked. Because the majority of account bans/deactivations happen that way. Either that or someone else got your account (which is what you're saying).

To answer your question, I am assuming so because you are so heavily defending something as asinine as "They are claiming what they are to get people to buy all their games again thinking their accounts where hacked", which honestly if you bought them all twice I couldn't blame you for needing to justify it and pass the blame off on the company rather than you.

No, I didn't. Why with a proper mind would I do such thing, especially given I spent days on Steam and Source games back then? What I'm saying is someone silly can do it, and in some cases, you don't have to be silly to buy them again. You just want to play again (now I'm not to say play Source games at this time and date, they aren't fun like they used to - that is if you played in time). But back then, people would have bought these addicting games (CS:S etc.) more than once just to play it all day long. Not to wait with the hopes of logging in to their old account.

Don't need to. I was asking in what way I was being deceiving, because I was not.

You changed arguements (not just calculation) but anyway, you claim not to have done it. Like I said, let's move along.

Coreinsanity

Well then that's not the case I was talking about. I relate using Steam to Steam exclusives, since, like you said, it's better off buying rest of the games from other sources and not tie them to Steam. Which is why I went on talking about buying Steam games all over again (in case of an account loss).

Changes of a valid, legitamate account getting closed is low that you really can't expect someone else to believe it. Even if it did happen, I'd still think you either cheated or cracked. Because the majority of account bans/deactivations happen that way. Either that or someone else got your account (which is what you're saying).

No, I didn't. Why with a proper mind would I do such thing, especially given I spent days on Steam and Source games back then? What I'm saying is someone silly can do it, and in some cases, you don't have to be silly to buy them again. You just want to play again (now I'm not to say play Source games at this time and date, they aren't fun like they used to - that is if you played in time). But back then, people would have bought these addicting games (CS:S etc.) more than once just to play it all day long. Not to wait with the hopes of logging in to their old account.

You changed arguements (not just calculation) but anyway, you claim not to have done it. Like I said, let's move along.

I have to be quite honest with you, I think a lot of this was a misunderstanding of one thing lol. Steam exclusives. I can see why some one would buy their accounts again if they wanted to play HL2 or something similar, yes. Yeah, I was strictly talking games in general. However, if steam did manage to get my CC information exposed, and my account lost, I would more than likely take the loss and move onto other things. I am one of the people who if I had my account hacked in WoW and got banned because the person who hacked it spammed gold advertisements, and Blizzard didn't fix it, I would just quit the game and find something else (I am 23 and have spent around half of my life [12 years] gaming, since an old MMOFPS called Neocron, to CS/HL/etc, to now WoW / EVE Online / Skyrim).

Also, the chances are remote, that's why I still buy stuff off of steam with the new account a friend of mine bought me and have had no problems so far. And since then I have learned a lot more about computers (networking/security/webdesign [specifically PHP backends to sites]).

I don't recall changing my arguments, however. We can move on, but if you pointed it out I would be happy to clarify and/or retract it (I really don't like contradicting myself or changing my arguments, nor do I ever mean to unless some one changes my mind). I have edited my post, but that was to correct or reword something to more match what I was thinking but that's all I remember doing.

Undead46

Processor i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz - 1.335VCore
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution (B3)
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2133MHz 7-11-8-27-1N (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 (Unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS & Games), 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 250GB WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) Dell 23" U2311H IPS Monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Professional - 64bit
I don't quite understand one thing...

They say Steam accounts weren't compromised as far as they're aware of, but how did they get game purchases and CC info? That information is tied in with steam accounts, not forum accounts.

I'm confused! :/