• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Wintel Alliance Slowly Crumbling, ARM To Eventually Rule The Desktop?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
TLDR.

Just like a console can render a game with far less eye candy, with far less pixels, with far less background tasks and overhead of a standard OS the little 840X480 screens at a whopping 24 or 30 FPS are simply not enough for a FPS with any sort of realism provided by a actual modern GPU on die or not.

Posting shit from youtube and believe it is all real and wonderful is almost a sign of delusion.

How about hard and fast numbers like FPS, AA, AF, display size...you know, the shit that matters to people. Not durp my durper can durp that game like a computer can.....

No one here is impressed by your long post. Talking shit and talking alot of shit are still the same thing.

What large businesses run them right now, what percent marketshare do they have, adoption rates, TCO vs anything, server benchmarks. Editorial pieces and the same spin that was applied to some other failures from other well known and respected companies means little people who write the checks, work on them, work with them, and use them.

Itanium anyone?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Every single person I know with a smartphone or tablet only use them to surf the web when their computer is not available to them. Mostly because they are unbearably slow.

Just sayin.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just put one of these in my phone!

AppliedMicro X-Gene

Architecture:
ARMv8

Cores:
From 2 to up to 128

Frequency:
Up to 3GHz

Process:
TSMC 40/28nm

Power Usage:
Up to 2W per core

128 cores should do it. Even though it'd pull 256w, that's alright, I leave my phone on my desk (plugged in) anyway.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
So you have a desktop phone then?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yup. Battery isn't all that great, so it's usually plugged in ;)

Windows NT 4 ran on MIPS, Alpha, PowerPC and x86. There's nothing unprecedented about a Windows that runs on multiple CPU architectures. There just hasn't been an architecture other than x86 worth MS's time in a few years.

p3ngwin1

TLDR.

Just like a console can render a game with far less eye candy, with far less pixels, with far less background tasks and overhead of a standard OS the little 840X480 screens at a whopping 24 or 30 FPS are simply not enough for a FPS with any sort of realism provided by a actual modern GPU on die or not.

Posting shit from youtube and believe it is all real and wonderful is almost a sign of delusion.

How about hard and fast numbers like FPS, AA, AF, display size...you know, the shit that matters to people. Not durp my durper can durp that game like a computer can.....

No one here is impressed by your long post. Talking shit and talking alot of shit are still the same thing.

What large businesses run them right now, what percent marketshare do they have, adoption rates, TCO vs anything, server benchmarks. Editorial pieces and the same spin that was applied to some other failures from other well known and respected companies means little people who write the checks, work on them, work with them, and use them.

Itanium anyone?

dude, you can ignore facts as mujch as you like, just like newtekie1, doesn't make your statements true. if you have any sources, or you know, FACTS to back up your assertions then let's see them.

you'll notice i back up my statements with evidence, and you can dismiss the evidence verbally, but unless you have any supporting evidence yourself, you are refuting merely by voice. your voice isn't enough to carry your assertion as it is akin to asking people to take your word for it.

the FACT is that smartphones and tablets, mobiles in general, are taking market share away from companies like SONY and Nintendo's dedicated portable gaming devices.

it doesn't matter that you think the graphics can't compete and "are simply not enough for a FPS with any sort of realism provided by a actual modern GPU on die or not" . the FACT is that gaming is changing, and you seem to think that it can not.

just as i said refuting his belief that Intel can easily compete with ARM by crippling a current SandyBridge, a la ATOM: ARM don't have to compete with the performance crown, they simply have to make people change their preferences. that's exactly what's happening. less people are buying desktops and dedicated gaming devices as more people use smart-phones and tablets for all their needs.

the desktop market is slowing, that's a FACT (backed up with sources in my previous post), and the handheld gaming market is changing to smartphones and tablets, that's a FACT too.

It's a FACT that ARM is moving into the laptop/desktop and server market. a survey of 30 PC makers revealed that 40% of them are interested in building ARM-based desktops. you can indulge yourself in the sources i previously shared showing Microsft and HP entering the ARM's race, that should enlighten you that desktops and servers are beginning to move away from x86.

the video descriptions seem accurate, and the videos look like integrated graphics chip quality, as well as the settings are there to be noticed if you care to. do you have any evidence to suggest they are not real, or are you again refuting things and expecting people to take your word for it?

do you expect to just talk and make noise, or can you demonstrate your "FACTS" ?

well, the basic facts are there in the videos, get off your ass and read them, or stop being wilfully ignorant. as for "what matters to people", clearly the customers leaving dedicated gaming devices for smartphones and tablets DON'T care for "hard and fast numbers"

are we to be instead impressed by your eloquent ranting and unsubstantiated assertions?

What large businesses run them right now, what percent marketshare do they have.....

you see none of what is happening around as being relevant to a possible change in future? do you really think such massive companies and market shifts in customer habits means absolutely nothing?

I wonder what it's like for you to live, ignoring reality around you.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
If I say i have a apple on my head, a million dollars, or a super duper new derp that derps the derpiest......it is my job to prove it, not someone elses job to disprove it.

So far you have posted editorial pieces that compare a limited number of devices and fail to take into account the fact you don't drop your desktop on the floor while being stupid necessitating the purchase of a new one, and most people keep computers for years and years and years and years......so there is a saturation point.

So again, what is the market saturation, adoption rates VS computers overall, you know, all the shit that really matters?

I only ask as only one person/laptop out of the 50 or so desktop/laptops I run wants a mobile device, the rest still want, need and require a desktop or desktop equivalent. Some however have purchased ipads and other pad devices for pleasure, while maintaining their home PC or even purchasing a new one of those too for the business needs and personal finances.

Plus, here is an invisible picture of a penguin humping a dogs leg while eating a turkey thats wearing a hat.

You can't prove that its not there.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
agreed.

also, ACORN ARCHIMEDES !

wow, i remember being in school with BBC micro's, and then the school transitioned to Archimedes...damn that thing was a monster from the future. my Acorn Electron at home already had an inferiority complex about the BBC's, that Archimedes didn't improve things !

Hey, just seen this and yeah, awesome. I see we're on the same page. :D I remember the very first time I played with an Archimedes in a shop, it was one of the early ones running Arthur in 1987 and boy that thing was fast! :eek: Everything ran like greased lightening and that's no exaggeration. No wonder it cost over a grand.

An ARM processor can have that feel again with all the turbocharging technology currently put into an x86 put into it. And it would be even better.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/5/19/the-coming-war-arm-versus-x86.aspx

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2011/12/01/no-windows-8-arm-support-for-desktop-apps.aspx

According to microsoft employee Paul Thurrot they are going to cut the native X86 apps out of the tablet ARM based version of Windows 8, meaning Microsoft only had plans to support mobile ARM devices, much like they are now.

In all the windows 8 testing they have out now there is none on connect for ARM based devices, none for any testing other than X64/X86, and they are asking for more of us to use windows 8 with some new apps that interface between our smartphones and other devices, but they have given us NO software and have even said they do not plan on supporting any 3rd party devices currently. Meaning they have no plans to make a Windows 8 for your phone, tablet, or other device.

There has been a huge push for moving us to cloud based computing, and MS has given us 25GB of cloud storage and 20 hours of cloud based apps per month for testing and using. This does mean that desktops will need less computer power, however this IMHO and in every MS partner questionnaire I fill out for work and personal use/opinion I still express that most CPU intensive apps and company private data will remain on site.

I see ARM as a VIA able AMD'd Intel igent choice sometime in the far future. But not this now.