• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Ubisoft Loosens Restrictions. Slightly

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last week we brought you news of Ubisoft's hard three machine activation limit on Anno 2070 and how it scuppered a review by Guru3D when they swapped out graphics cards. Guru3D's post then went viral on the web and it appears that this has put sufficient pressure or 'heat' on Ubisoft to relax the restrictions just a tiny bit, since they weren't going to use any more Ubisoft games for benchmarks. So what have they done? Allowed an unlimited number of graphics card swaps. That's it, everything else stays the same, so if other components such as the CPU, motherboard etc are changed, then one will still run into this frustrating brick wall and have to get in touch with customer support to reset the activations.

Interestingly, before the restriction was lifted and after writing their initial article and vowing not to use Ubisoft titles any more over this issue, Guru3D changed their mind, because they feel that by continuing, they ensure that issues like this are kept in the public eye and can be addressed, with the hope that the company will see sense eventually:
In our opinion not writing about something is the most bad thing you can do and as such we decided to continue with that article. By excluding Ubisoft from the benchmarks we'll never be able to address issues like this DRM story, and they'll continue what they are doing. In fact if we'd have excluded Ubisoft titles we never would have been able to report about this issue.

By posting an article and explaining/mentioning DRM time after time, there will be more awareness about it and in the end that message will get across to Ubisoft and the producer. In the hope that one day they'll see the light.
Note that in an update to their original article, Guru3D explained that they were given unlimited activations after contacting support, to allow them to complete their review. Just after their review was finished however, Guru3D received the following email from the developer, BlueByte, which formally advised them of the policy change:
Hi Hilbert,

Just wanted to let you know, that we now remove the graphics hardware from the hash used to identify the PC.
That means everyone should now be able to switch the GFX as many times as he/she wants.

Cheers,

Note that it's not explained whether this change applies only to this one game, or all of Ubisoft's titles, which is quite important to know, really. Finally, whether this small change is really sufficient to satisfy customers of Anno 2070 rests with the individuals who purchase the game and is bound to vary from gamer to gamer. Presumably, one who changes their hardware more frequently may not feel that this improvement goes far enough. Still, however you look at it, it's a step in the right direction.

We feel that if any DRM must be applied, that the account-based style used with Steam is the best way to go and punishes the honest customer the least. At the same time, it gives back quite a few benefits in that it allows use on an unlimited number of PCs (not all at once!) easy application management, social features and more.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Thanks to gorg_graggel for this news tip. :toast:

imitation

Processor Intel i3-2120
Motherboard ASUS P8H77-V LE
Cooling CPU: AQ Cuplex Kryos Delrin /// GPU: Custom water /// Inno HPPS+ /// 2x 240 Rad /// Noiseblocker PWM
Memory 8G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD5870 @ 1G/1.25G
Storage Samsung 830 128G + some HDDs
Display(s) LG W2242T + Benq W700+
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB3
Power Supply beQuiet Pure Power L7 430W
Software W7U64
I don't know what's worse: having to deal with this DRM or having to deal with a semi-working crack. I kinda favor the crack though...

I feel like a pet dog has just been trained to stop biting people in the balls. It still attacks peoples' arms, legs and asses, and it still pisses on people occasionally, but still it's progress...Sort of.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And I don't really find the 3 graphics card swaps a problem, in fact after all the details came out and the dust settled, I have no problem with the DRM at all. 99% of all users won't be affected the DRM, and for the few that do Ubisoft has an acceptable system in place to deal with it.

So presumably, they must have bought extra copies of the game, or had the activations reset a couple of times to continue, but this isn't explained.

It is explained in the original article Guru3D posted, they contacted Tech Support and their key was unlocked to allow unlimited activations for benchmarking purposes. Remember, I pointed this out to you in the other thread?;)

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
I fail to understand how all theese draconian DRM measures, including the GPU switching limit, will actually stop hackers from creating cracks for this game. These DRMs have one aim only: shoot down the customers and encourage piracy.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
It is explained in the original article Guru3D posted, they contacted Tech Support and their key was unlocked to allow unlimited activations for benchmarking purposes. Remember, I pointed this out to you in the other thread?;)

Ok, thankyou smartypants. :laugh: I'd forgotten about it, lol. Dammit, I'm human and there's me thinking that I'm a perfect quantum cybernetic organism. :cry: Please, no more injections...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Ok, thankyou smartypants. :laugh: I'd forgotten about it, lol. Dammit, I'm human and there's me thinking that I'm a perfect quantum cybernetic organism. :cry: Please, no more injections...

You mean you aren't an all-knowing-omnipotent being of pure energy?!:D

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Sounds to me like someone may have been threaten by Ubisoft (Slander maybe? dont know) Guru3D sure changed their tune.If you boycott dont back peddle on it because they offer "YOU" a half ass fix for it.
Like the article said was the GFX fix for everyone or just Guru3D?

Lost a little respect for Guru3D :shadedshu

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I never had any respect for Guru3D...

being an ex-member of guru3d - Yeah I did have some respect at one point, If i still did i wouldnt be here on TPU. (I know there are a few ex-guru3d members lurking around here)

Hilbert should have stuck with the boycott imo it would have been an even a much louder voice then the peoples as Guru3d being a major review site holds quite a lot of influence within the community.

everyone dislikes ubisoft anyway so its not as if Hilbert is going to get any bad press for it just because he decides to stop using any of their games for benchmarking.

if he stood by his decision, everyone would have supported him.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The problem I have is that he jumped to critizing way to quickly. He started benching with the game some time on Thursday. Discovered the problem we assume some time on Thursday as well but we don't know how late and emailed tech support and that is it... When he hadn't receive a response by Friday he went off on a tirade instead of doing the more logical thing of actually calling the tech support number in the manual for the game. I'm guessing if he had called the tech support number the issue would have been sorted almost instantly. And even still, by the next Monday(the offices are closed on the weekends) his email had gone through and he had received a response and the problem had been resolved.

While that isn't the best possible response time, anyone that has dealt a great deal with email tech support services will tell you 2 business days for a response and solution from your original email is pretty decent. Just as an example, I have to RMA a pair of headphones to Corsair, and I put the request for the RMA in on Monday and didn't receive an RMA authorization until Wednesday, and Corsair is generally considered to have very good tech support. I'd personally thing the best solution to activation limits like this is a 24/7/365 automated phone service like Microsoft has, but I think the solution that Ubisoft has in place is good enough considering the small percentage of people that will ever have a problem.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I fail to understand how all theese draconian DRM measures, including the GPU switching limit, will actually stop hackers from creating cracks for this game. These DRMs have one aim only: shoot down the customers and encourage piracy.

That's what I can't fathom.
No matter the type of DRM used, unfortunately the pirates always manage to crack the games.
The DRM doesn't inconvenience the hackers or the ones downloading illegaly, it inconveniences the legit buyers. And most "main-stream" legit buyers don't even have knowledge on how to download and install a cracked game. And many legit buyers know only how to switch their pc and game. If they get an entirely new pc and the game doesn't work many wouldn't know what happened let alone how to solve it. So at the end of the day the DRM will make the game unplayable for the legit buyers, and not affect the ones who pirate it because the game would be cracked just the same.

Reactions: w3b
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k 4.5ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Antec Kühler H2O 620
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866mhz
Video Card(s) Asus R9 280x DirectCUII
Storage Samsung 1TB F3 HD103SJ
Display(s) Asus VS228H + AOC 2369
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Antec Truepower 650w
Software Windows 7 SP1 64bit
That's what I can't fathom.
No matter the type of DRM used, unfortunately the pirates always manage to crack the games.

Tom Clancy HAWX 2 still hasn't been cracked. :toast:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

And they've moved away from that DRM because of its overly invasive nature (always-on internet connection).

gorg_graggel

System Name erm...people actually give names to their systems?
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WindForce 3X
Storage 1 OCZ Vertex3 MaxIO 120GB, 1 Samsung 830 256GB, 1 Samsung F1 1TB, 1 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) Samsung T260
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ Fatality 550W
The problem I have is that he jumped to critizing way to quickly. He started benching with the game some time on Thursday. Discovered the problem we assume some time on Thursday as well but we don't know how late and emailed tech support and that is it... When he hadn't receive a response by Friday he went off on a tirade instead of doing the more logical thing of actually calling the tech support number in the manual for the game. I'm guessing if he had called the tech support number the issue would have been sorted almost instantly. And even still, by the next Monday(the offices are closed on the weekends) his email had gone through and he had received a response and the problem had been resolved.

While that isn't the best possible response time, anyone that has dealt a great deal with email tech support services will tell you 2 business days for a response and solution from your original email is pretty decent. Just as an example, I have to RMA a pair of headphones to Corsair, and I put the request for the RMA in on Monday and didn't receive an RMA authorization until Wednesday, and Corsair is generally considered to have very good tech support. I'd personally thing the best solution to activation limits like this is a 24/7/365 automated phone service like Microsoft has, but I think the solution that Ubisoft has in place is good enough considering the small percentage of people that will ever have a problem.

at least somebody has a clear view of things here...

reading comments about people being threatened or that changing your mind is wrong just made me smash my had on the table...what the heck is wrong with you guys?
what's next? drm has been established by the cia to gain control over peoples brains?
it's video games we're talking here not freakin' national security or nuclear warheads...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
And I don't really find the 3 graphics card swaps a problem, in fact after all the details came out and the dust settled, I have no problem with the DRM at all. 99% of all users won't be affected the DRM, and for the few that do Ubisoft has an acceptable system in place to deal with it.

my laptop has two video cards in crossfire, but it shows up as three in some apps. imagine how this DRM would have gone for me when the primary card swaps back and forth all the time.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
my laptop has two video cards in crossfire, but it shows up as three in some apps. imagine how this DRM would have gone for me when the primary card swaps back and forth all the time.

Your hardware hash wouldn't change, so it wouldn't have affected you at all.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Your hardware hash wouldn't change, so it wouldn't have affected you at all.

so having GPU's where the primary changes wont affect it?

gorg_graggel

System Name erm...people actually give names to their systems?
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WindForce 3X
Storage 1 OCZ Vertex3 MaxIO 120GB, 1 Samsung 830 256GB, 1 Samsung F1 1TB, 1 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) Samsung T260
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ Fatality 550W
so having GPU's where the primary changes wont affect it?

1. any gfx changes won't affect it

2. the activations do reset completely after 30 days

http://translate.google.com/transla...hs=uan&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&prmd=imvns

i can't find the proper english version so i let google do the translating...
maybe it will even show the original english version, when you navigate there through ubisoft's support portal...i'm just to lazy now to figure out how to circumvent the location detection...

3. http://anno.uk.ubi.com/pc/faq-tages.php (it's the anno 1404 faq, but it's also valid for 2070)

"Question: What changes to my PC require a new activation?
Answer: With regards to the activation system, a PC configuration consists of the most important hard- and software components of your computer, including the operating system, the CPU, the motherboard and the system hard drive. Small changes such as exchanging the graphics card or adding RAM are not considered changes to the PC configuration and therefore do not require a new activation. "

the whole story boils down to the gfx card even being included in the hash has been a bug from the beginning (you have to trust me on that, as i won't disclose my source)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

"Hasn't" assumes there have been attempts. There have been none. :laugh:

Even the harder to crack Assassin's Creed 2 got cracked, even had their own mirror servers for the "always-on" DRM. :laugh:

And they've moved away from that DRM because of its overly invasive nature (always-on internet connection).

Well, on the other hand i also don't know anyone who bought HAWX2. Including myself. I've bought HAWX 1 because it doesn't have this always-connected nonsense. And i could buy HAWX2 for fairly cheap price on Steam but i decided to completely ignore it because of the retarded protection. And i don't regret the decision at all. I've bought few Ubi games in the few last Steam deals, but all games were without this stupid DRM (mostly older games). If they have decided not to release any game without their stupid always-connected DRM, then tough luck, i won't buy any game from them anymore. It's as simple as that.

EDIT:
Why doesn't quoting capture all the quotes!? It just skips the others and then the message looks out of context... grrr

1. any gfx changes won't affect it

2. the activations do reset completely after 30 days

http://translate.google.com/transla...hs=uan&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&prmd=imvns

i can't find the proper english version so i let google do the translating...
maybe it will even show the original english version, when you navigate there through ubisoft's support portal...i'm just to lazy now to figure out how to circumvent the location detection...

3. http://anno.uk.ubi.com/pc/faq-tages.php (it's the anno 1404 faq, but it's also valid for 2070)

"Question: What changes to my PC require a new activation?
Answer: With regards to the activation system, a PC configuration consists of the most important hard- and software components of your computer, including the operating system, the CPU, the motherboard and the system hard drive. Small changes such as exchanging the graphics card or adding RAM are not considered changes to the PC configuration and therefore do not require a new activation. "

the whole story boils down to the gfx card even being included in the hash has been a bug from the beginning (you have to trust me on that, as i won't disclose my source)

I will help them get through to you, or try to I can assume..

We don't like it period.

Was that clear enough or?

I want to be able to change my shit in my,,, pc when ever I feel like it and not run out of activations period.

I want to be able to play my game for ever and ever for eternity if I feel a need to.

I would like you to get the f, out of my life, after I buy, the title.

I think that sums it up in a couple more ways for you sir.

Also, stop charging us for garbage add-ons if that's what you want to call them and let the community mod again like it used to be. Just make the game run correctly which is why I pay you at the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: w3b
I will help them get through to you, or try to I can assume..

We don't like it period.

Was that clear enough or?

I want to be able to change my shit in my,,, pc when ever I feel like it and not run out of activations period.

I want to be able to play my game for ever and ever for eternity if I feel a need to.

I would like you to get the f, out of my life, after I buy, the title.

I think that sums it up in a couple more ways for you sir.

Also, stop charging us for garbage add-ons if that's what you want to call them and let the community mod again like it used to be. Just make the game run correctly which is why I pay you at the beginning.

Then make your own stuff and don't rely on anyone.
A customer is nothing more than a wallet with legs. and I'm quite confident that you are not one.

but whatever, everyone is the center of the universe and they can complain about anything and everything.