• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unveils the Xonar D-KARA Audio Card

As the online karaoke and recording phenomenon continues to gain traction, demand has emerged for dedicated hardware that enables pro-level singing and recording via PC at home. The ASUS Xonar D-KARA karaoke audio card (PCI interface) presents professional effects and recording capabilities, designed by Xonar and music industry engineers. It supports simplified pre-set recording and extra-detailed input, with strong hardware that ensures optimized voice syncing and ultra-vivid 106dB SNR.

D-KARA helps customers enjoy social singing, recording, editing, and sharing of vocal performances, consolidating features under the user-friendly Xonar Audio Center.

Online karaoke a global trend
Internet-based communal singing and karaoke-style experiences have seen tremendous growth recently. Supported by numerous services and sites (including YouTube), online karaoke is becoming more popular due to its social entertainment value. Like-minded people with a fondness for singing get together, friends and family gather for enjoyable singing sessions, and would-be performers hone their skills on the way to possible superstardom. Accommodating this, the Xonar team carried out research that shows over 100,000 people engage in daily online karaoke across Eurozone markets, while in mainland China the customer base stands at an amazing 500,000 singers per day. The team also received feedback showing that customers are interested in karaoke-specific hardware to improve their experiences, as software-based karaoke sites and services often offer basic features, suffer from latency, and lack proper recording facilities. Xonar D-KARA corrects these shortcomings in direct response to community input.

Everyone becomes a pro performer with D-KARA
The Xonar team packed an entire album of features in the design. Studio-level vocal effects include high-pass filtering, low-pass filtering, compression, dynamic boost, voice equalization, and reverb. All work hardware-level so greater fidelity is guaranteed, while customers can tune vocal masterpieces as they see fit, with enough enhancements to make virtually anyone a singing idol. Other highlights are built-in key shifting and vocal cancellation, further helping with playback editing. Precise stereo mixing and recording mean users simply plug a microphone into D-KARA and get started on their own song portfolio, which can then be shared online or via physical storage. To make settings quicker, D-KARA offers five one-click selectable master presets defined by Xonar and studio engineers: rock, rock pro, ballad, ballad pro, and special. The pro settings cater to those looking for that stadium-filling effect, while the special preset supports a more flexible vocal range. Customers who opt to sing their own way are bound to appreciate the extensive list of advanced settings offered.

Hardware-boosted singing sensations
While software karaoke and recording products frequently force vocalists to endure latency and lag, D-KARA hardware includes an advanced microphone-input digital signal processor that exceeds onboard audio responsiveness by up to 100 times, and competing karaoke cards by as much as ten times. It elevates voice syncing to studio-grade performance, resulting in more rewarding and confidence-boosting experiences. D-KARA builds on award-winning Xonar hardware design to ensure ear-dazzling crystal clear performance, equipped with exclusive ASUS Hyper Grounding technology to increase clarity by 16 times compared to onboard audio, and leading to an impressive 106dB SNR that tops the average 90dB of integrated sound.

Natural vocal intuition
While having karaoke and recording-dedicated hardware is a strong benefit, customers need an accessible interface to fully utilize it. D-KARA employs the Xonar Audio Center, where singing and online sharing are chart toppers, so every control and feature are extra-easy to use. D-KARA therefore differs from the more complicated and often unappealing interfaces of software-based karaoke, and allows anyone with a microphone to truly enjoy personalized singing experiences.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
PCI cards in 2012 =o

What's even more pointless is 500 versions of the exactly same audio chip and functions. How dull is that!? Creative at least adds some buzzword sounding features to soundcards so you at least get a feeling they add some value to them. Everyone else use same crappy chips from a decade ago, have nearly no driver support and no features one would get excited about. *sigh*

MySchizoBuddy

there was a time when customers used to fuss about sound cards and Creative was the king of the hill. Now no mainstream customer gives a damn about them.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
What's even more pointless is 500 versions of the exactly same audio chip and functions. How dull is that!? Creative at least adds some buzzword sounding features to soundcards so you at least get a feeling they add some value to them. Everyone else use same crappy chips from a decade ago, have nearly no driver support and no features one would get excited about. *sigh*

Well it seems this one seems to use a special Cirrus Logic DAC/effect processor, that gives all the vocal pitch control mojo...

why d-kara?

In Japanese it sounds like because... ? Funny...

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

The audio chip (that C-Media-made chip) is irrelevant*. All it does is serves as an HDA host. It's the DAC/ADC and AMP circuitry that matters. That's what ASUS tinkers with.

*CMI audio chips pack DAC/ADC of their own, but you can design a card to use external DAC and ADC chips. Take Auzentech X-Meridean series for example, it uses CMI8788 as merely a host, it's the wonderful external DACs that do the bull-work.

System Name My Box
Processor Core I7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Alpenfohn Ben Nevis
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1600, Dual channel
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition
Storage SSD OCZ Arc 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 27xi IPS LED Backlit
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Sabre 24/96 DAC
Power Supply LDLC XT-650P 80+ Platinum
Mouse A4 Tech Basic
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve
Software Win 10 Pro X64
Had a friend that discovered karaoke at our LAN parties. We gave him his own room, for "practice without interference".

I guess I should tell him about this card :rockout:

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
No thanks, I'll Stick to my on board and my Steelseries 7.1HD audio.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
My first thought exactly :)

I guess it is because of drivers and and latency problems with this particular task...

PCIE sound cards kind of cheat still and still uses a translator chip to PCI inside the chip... it brings up latency thats for sound processing brings inevitable evil...

A proper pci-e host will cost money! And the drivers also will be pain to write from scratch... also a lot of money in labor salaries... you got the idea...

Why drivers from Asus and Creative come so freaking slow...

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I guess it is because of drivers and and latency problems with this particular task...

PCIE sound cards kind of cheat still and still uses a translator chip to PCI inside the chip... it brings up latency thats for sound processing brings inevitable evil...

A proper pci-e host will cost money! And the drivers also will be pain to write from scratch... also a lot of money in labor salaries... you got the idea...

I think I got the idea, but I had to read your post a couple of times before I understand what do you mean. :)

The reasoning behind my post was, that PCI is called "legacy" for a reason. It was replaced because it couldn't catch with its parallel 8-bit data transfer to the newer faster CPUs. That's why PCIe - uses serial data transfer. And I can't wait for the older standard to be retired from use. I don't see a point for motherboard manifacturers to put these on the MBs :) in this train of thought: who has legacy PCI slots in their new MB- I don't :D

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I think I got the idea, but I had to read your post a couple of times before I understand what do you mean. :)

The reasoning behind my post was, that PCI is called "legacy" for a reason. It was replaced because it couldn't catch with its parallel 8-bit data transfer to the newer faster CPUs. That's why PCIe - uses serial data transfer. And I can't wait for the older standard to be retired from use. I don't see a point for motherboard manifacturers to put these on the MBs :) in this train of thought: who has legacy PCI slots in their new MB- I don't :D

I do...

My motherboard has pci slots, one for my wireless card and one for my x-fi sound card.. I bought it last year brand new.. how is pci irrelevant? I know it's becoming less popular, but still.. people do use it such as myself.

This Xonar D-KARA is an ok sound card by the way.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Actually, the Creative CA20K2 is native PCIe. No translator chip, and therefore no extra latency.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
there was a time when customers used to fuss about sound cards and Creative was the king of the hill. Now no mainstream customer gives a damn about them.

Say thank you to M$ for destroying and nullifying the 3D Hardware sound in games...:shadedshu

System Name scrapper
Processor Intel i5-6600k @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb ddr4 @3000
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 EVGA SC
Storage 2x 500GB Samsung 850 SSD
Display(s) CrossOver 27" 1440p LG IPS @ 120Hz
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W
Say thank you to M$ for destroying and nullifying the 3D Hardware sound in games...:shadedshu

your gonna get me worked up lol!!!

this reason as stated is why i don't give 2 sh!tz about upgrading from my onboard audio... its not gonna make it absolutely amazing anyway so i won't bother

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Actually, the Creative CA20K2 is native PCIe. No translator chip, and therefore no extra latency.

Well that's arguable...

CA20K2 Datasheet

And the internal BUS interface.

What in hell VCI is

So if you look on the sheet... VCI mimics a lot of PCI like system principles and I can even bet that it can work like that using old like PCI data frames. The PCI-E bridge is just taken inside the SOIC itself but on bus level same topology remained.
I cannot judge about the latency, but it isn't a true native direct solution, still a workaround to use the OLD EMU core, not a complete overhaul of the soic. They just use a PCIe host, awakens it with its own CPU core, eeprom and ram and it has a UAA core also in it, and if OS boots UP, creative driver kicks in, then they can use the dedicated EMU part using old known methods and awaken it, to me it looks not quite the fastest way. Still the same old architecture.

your gonna get me worked up lol!!!

this reason as stated is why i don't give 2 sh!tz about upgrading from my onboard audio... its not gonna make it absolutely amazing anyway so i won't bother

Well I need a really good analogue output for my sound systems, if you use SPDIF afterwards a receiver, true there is no need to upgrade at all...

Last edited: