• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why AMD will perform better than NVIDIA in DirectX 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

nem

Ok people what think about this great great explanation about why AMD should be better than NVIDIA over DirectX12 for have best supports the Shaders asynchronous. Check this is not my argument but It seems well argued.

first the souce:http://www.overclock.net/t/1569897/...singularity-dx12-benchmarks/400#post_24321843

Well I figured I'd create an account in order to explain away what you're all seeing in the Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks. I won't divulge too much of my background information but suffice to say
that I'm an old veteran who used to go by the handle ElMoIsEviL.

First off nVidia is posting their true DirectX12 performance figures in these tests. Ashes of the Singularity is all about Parallelism and that's an area, that although Maxwell 2 does better than previous nVIDIA architectures, it is still inferior in this department when compared to the likes of AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 architectures. Here's why...

Maxwell's Asychronous Thread Warp can queue up 31 Compute tasks and 1 Graphic task. Now compare this with AMD GCN 1.1/1.2 which is composed of 8 Asynchronous Compute Engines each able to queue 8 Compute tasks for a total of 64 coupled with 1 Graphic task by the Graphic Command Processor. See bellow:

Each ACE can also apply certain Post Processing Effects without incurring much of a performance penalty. This feature is heavily used for Lighting in Ashes of the Singularity. Think of all of the simultaneous light sources firing off as each unit in the game fires a shot or the various explosions which ensue as examples.

This means that AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 is best adapted at handling the increase in Draw Calls now being made by the Multi-Core CPU under Direct X 12.

Therefore in game titles which rely heavily on Parallelism, likely most DirectX 12 titles, AMD GCN 1.1/1.2 should do very well provided they do not hit a Geometry or Rasterizer Operator bottleneck before nVIDIA hits
their Draw Call/Parallelism bottleneck. The picture bellow highlights the Draw Call/Parallelism superioty of GCN 1.1/1.2 over Maxwell 2:

A more efficient queueing of workloads, through better thread Parallelism, also enables the R9 290x to come closer to its theoretical Compute figures which just happen to be ever so shy from those of the GTX 980 Ti (5.8 TFlops vs 6.1 TFlops respectively) as seen bellow:

What you will notice is that Ashes of the Singularity is also quite hard on the Rasterizer Operators highlighting a rather peculiar behavior. That behavior is that an R9 290x, with its 64 Rops, ends up performing near the same as a Fury-X, also with 64 Rops. A great way of picturing this in action is from the Graph bellow (courtesy of Beyond3D):

As for the folks claiming a conspiracy theory, not in the least. The reason AMDs DX11 performance is so poor under Ashes of the Singularity is because AMD literally did zero optimizations for the path. AMD is
clearly looking on selling Asynchronous Shading as a feature to developers because their architecture is well suited for the task. It doesn't hurt that it also costs less in terms of Research and Development of drivers. Asynchronous Shading allows GCN to hit near full efficiency without even requiring any driver work whatsoever.

nVIDIA, on the other hand, does much better at Serial scheduling of work loads (when you consider that anything prior to Maxwell 2 is limited to Serial Scheduling rather than Parallel Scheduling). DirectX 11 is
suited for Serial Scheduling therefore naturally nVIDIA has an advantage under DirectX 11. In this graph, provided by Anandtech, you have the correct figures for nVIDIAs architectures (from Kepler to Maxwell 2)
though the figures for GCN are incorrect (they did not multiply the number of Asynchronous Compute Engines by 8):

People wondering why Nvidia is doing a bit better in DX11 than DX12. That's because Nvidia optimized their DX11 path in their drivers for Ashes of the Singularity. With DX12 there are no tangible driver optimizations because the Game Engine speaks almost directly to the Graphics Hardware. So none were made. Nvidia is at the mercy of the programmers talents as well as their own Maxwell architectures thread parallelism performance under DX12. The Devellopers programmed for thread parallelism in Ashes of the Singularity in order to be able to better draw all those objects on the screen. Therefore what were seeing with the Nvidia numbers is the Nvidia draw call bottleneck showing up under DX12. Nvidia works around this with its own optimizations in DX11 by prioritizing workloads and replacing shaders. Yes, the nVIDIA driver contains a compiler which re-compiles and replaces shaders which are not fine tuned to their architecture on a per game basis. NVidia's driver is also Multi-Threaded, making use of the idling CPU cores in order to recompile/replace shaders. The work nVIDIA does in software, under DX11, is the work AMD do in Hardware, under DX12, with their Asynchronous Compute Engines.

But what about poor AMD DX11 performance? Simple. AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 architecture is suited towards Parallelism. It requires the CPU to feed the graphics card work. This creates a CPU bottleneck, on AMD hardware, under DX11 and low resolutions (say 1080p and even 1600p for Fury-X), as DX11 is limited to 1-2 cores for the Graphics pipeline (which also needs to take care of AI, Physics etc). Replacing shaders or
re-compiling shaders is not a solution for GCN 1.1/1.2 because AMDs Asynchronous Compute Engines are built to break down complex workloads into smaller, easier to work, workloads. The only way around this issue, if you want to maximize the use of all available compute resources under GCN 1.1/1.2, is to feed the GPU in Parallel... in comes in Mantle, Vulcan and Direct X 12.

People wondering why Fury-X did so poorly in 1080p under DirectX 11 titles? That's your answer.

A video which talks about Ashes of the Singularity in depth:

PS. Don't count on better Direct X 12 drivers from nVIDIA. DirectX 12 is closer to Metal and it's all on the developer to make efficient use of both nVIDIA and AMDs architectures.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
interesting read... thx!

Reactions: nem
System Name Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @4.65 GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG X570-E
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 6700XT 12 GB Dual
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG 23MP67HQ + LG 55 Inch 4K
Case Corsair 4000D
Power Supply CM V1000
How about GCN 1.0 ? :D

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The title should perhaps be, "why DX12 favours GCN1.1 better than it did in DX11".

It would be 'misguided' to assume DX12 will hand AMD the lead. Given Maxwell 2 is supposed to perform better under DX12 (just not as much as AMD) than DX11, then the game code can swing it, bare metal or not. The games in development for DX12 still require coding (as the reviews mention). Now, a game that pushes the limit on ROP's will hamstring AMD, pushing 290X cards to the same level as Fury cards. Similarly, if the ROP's aren't flooded, AMD will get the headroom over Nvidia.
I'm not a fan of 'Gameworks' but it should be considered that a game code can easily be written to hamper performance (intentionally or not) of a competitor.
Any game Nvidia gets involved with for DX12 simply needs to focus on Maxwell's hardware DX12 strengths.

Like has been said before, this single benchmark is not a good indicator of what will be.
And again, DX12 needs some time to come to fruition in a gaming sense. AMD in an even playing field have the edge, mostly, but let's not forget, its not an even playing field.
I know I'll get called a fanboy by some folks but I'm just shining a light into the dark here. AoS isn't brand agnostic. The company was the first to use Mantle, so its naive to think it's handed an unbiased bench opportunity. Again, if a game requires those ROPs then AMD doesn't do so well if the load is too high.
When UE4 Unity and other DX12 relevant software appears, we can revisit the argument but until then, one bench isn't enough.
AMD has excellent DX12 hardware but the game code may not always favour it.

FTR, I have no problem buying AMD cards. I waited for Fury X to release but decided against it. Maybe it's too ahead of its time. I'll buy one next year maybe!

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Powerpoint slides don't mean jack shit. Rumours and hype, on the other hand...

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Powerpoint slides don't mean jack shit. Rumours and hype, on the other hand...

That's not the point of the OP. Numerous independent sites show AoS doing very well on AMD GCN 1.1 hardware. It's clear to see.
The issue to me is that a game will use various DX12 elements and the engine merely has to tip the balance one way or the other, ROP's versus pure draw call for example.
These slides are genuine and not rumour but the expectation is perhaps being hyped too much, with (I believe) AoS being absolute best case scenario for AMD (not because of its Mantle pedigree but the fact it was Stardock that created it, who did the Mantle demo for AMD).

Amd fans really like to dream the pipe dream. How's dx 12_1 on amd cards coming along?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Amd fans really like to dream the pipe dream. How's dx 12_1 on amd cards coming along?

How many DX12_1 games are there?

None? Oh, ok there's at least a tech demo right?

No? Ouch.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
How about some moron (not meant for you RTB!) doesn't post another reply with no substance? It would be nice if a constructive thread developed with views about upcoming limitations or possibilities of hardware.
I'd like to know for example, what upcoming titles will be utilising DX12, what company 'helps out the developers' and what the release date is.
BF SW, Fallout 4, The Division etc, these are all AAA DX11 games. What's the first major title (I know Fable) that will use DX12.

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Ok people what think about this great great explanation about why AMD should be better than NVIDIA over DirectX12 for have best supports the Shaders asynchronous. Check this is not my argument but It seems well argued.

first the souce:http://www.overclock.net/t/1569897/...singularity-dx12-benchmarks/400#post_24321843

Well I figured I'd create an account in order to explain away what you're all seeing in the Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks. I won't divulge too much of my background information but suffice to say
that I'm an old veteran who used to go by the handle ElMoIsEviL.

First off nVidia is posting their true DirectX12 performance figures in these tests. Ashes of the Singularity is all about Parallelism and that's an area, that although Maxwell 2 does better than previous nVIDIA architectures, it is still inferior in this department when compared to the likes of AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 architectures. Here's why...

Maxwell's Asychronous Thread Warp can queue up 31 Compute tasks and 1 Graphic task. Now compare this with AMD GCN 1.1/1.2 which is composed of 8 Asynchronous Compute Engines each able to queue 8 Compute tasks for a total of 64 coupled with 1 Graphic task by the Graphic Command Processor. See bellow:

Each ACE can also apply certain Post Processing Effects without incurring much of a performance penalty. This feature is heavily used for Lighting in Ashes of the Singularity. Think of all of the simultaneous light sources firing off as each unit in the game fires a shot or the various explosions which ensue as examples.

This means that AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 is best adapted at handling the increase in Draw Calls now being made by the Multi-Core CPU under Direct X 12.

Therefore in game titles which rely heavily on Parallelism, likely most DirectX 12 titles, AMD GCN 1.1/1.2 should do very well provided they do not hit a Geometry or Rasterizer Operator bottleneck before nVIDIA hits
their Draw Call/Parallelism bottleneck. The picture bellow highlights the Draw Call/Parallelism superioty of GCN 1.1/1.2 over Maxwell 2:

A more efficient queueing of workloads, through better thread Parallelism, also enables the R9 290x to come closer to its theoretical Compute figures which just happen to be ever so shy from those of the GTX 980 Ti (5.8 TFlops vs 6.1 TFlops respectively) as seen bellow:

What you will notice is that Ashes of the Singularity is also quite hard on the Rasterizer Operators highlighting a rather peculiar behavior. That behavior is that an R9 290x, with its 64 Rops, ends up performing near the same as a Fury-X, also with 64 Rops. A great way of picturing this in action is from the Graph bellow (courtesy of Beyond3D):

As for the folks claiming a conspiracy theory, not in the least. The reason AMDs DX11 performance is so poor under Ashes of the Singularity is because AMD literally did zero optimizations for the path. AMD is
clearly looking on selling Asynchronous Shading as a feature to developers because their architecture is well suited for the task. It doesn't hurt that it also costs less in terms of Research and Development of drivers. Asynchronous Shading allows GCN to hit near full efficiency without even requiring any driver work whatsoever.

nVIDIA, on the other hand, does much better at Serial scheduling of work loads (when you consider that anything prior to Maxwell 2 is limited to Serial Scheduling rather than Parallel Scheduling). DirectX 11 is
suited for Serial Scheduling therefore naturally nVIDIA has an advantage under DirectX 11. In this graph, provided by Anandtech, you have the correct figures for nVIDIAs architectures (from Kepler to Maxwell 2)
though the figures for GCN are incorrect (they did not multiply the number of Asynchronous Compute Engines by 8):

People wondering why Nvidia is doing a bit better in DX11 than DX12. That's because Nvidia optimized their DX11 path in their drivers for Ashes of the Singularity. With DX12 there are no tangible driver optimizations because the Game Engine speaks almost directly to the Graphics Hardware. So none were made. Nvidia is at the mercy of the programmers talents as well as their own Maxwell architectures thread parallelism performance under DX12. The Devellopers programmed for thread parallelism in Ashes of the Singularity in order to be able to better draw all those objects on the screen. Therefore what were seeing with the Nvidia numbers is the Nvidia draw call bottleneck showing up under DX12. Nvidia works around this with its own optimizations in DX11 by prioritizing workloads and replacing shaders. Yes, the nVIDIA driver contains a compiler which re-compiles and replaces shaders which are not fine tuned to their architecture on a per game basis. NVidia's driver is also Multi-Threaded, making use of the idling CPU cores in order to recompile/replace shaders. The work nVIDIA does in software, under DX11, is the work AMD do in Hardware, under DX12, with their Asynchronous Compute Engines.

But what about poor AMD DX11 performance? Simple. AMDs GCN 1.1/1.2 architecture is suited towards Parallelism. It requires the CPU to feed the graphics card work. This creates a CPU bottleneck, on AMD hardware, under DX11 and low resolutions (say 1080p and even 1600p for Fury-X), as DX11 is limited to 1-2 cores for the Graphics pipeline (which also needs to take care of AI, Physics etc). Replacing shaders or
re-compiling shaders is not a solution for GCN 1.1/1.2 because AMDs Asynchronous Compute Engines are built to break down complex workloads into smaller, easier to work, workloads. The only way around this issue, if you want to maximize the use of all available compute resources under GCN 1.1/1.2, is to feed the GPU in Parallel... in comes in Mantle, Vulcan and Direct X 12.

People wondering why Fury-X did so poorly in 1080p under DirectX 11 titles? That's your answer.

A video which talks about Ashes of the Singularity in depth:

PS. Don't count on better Direct X 12 drivers from nVIDIA. DirectX 12 is closer to Metal and it's all on the developer to make efficient use of both nVIDIA and AMDs architectures.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8070955?
i got 17 501 040 drawcalls with titan x

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8070955?
i got 17 501 040 drawcalls with titan x
http://www.3dmark.com/aot/50003
Almost 18million on a GTX980, using factory gpu clocks and +300mhz on memory.

that graph he posted is debunked as incorrect.
I will say this 1 time, Just cause that 1 game is better on AMD right now doesn't mean it will stay that way. It is 1 game in alpha build. Its also 1 game that had Mantle since the start so AMD did have a bit of head start with the higher draw calls. So its very possible that performance on nvidia cards could improve over coming months.

I wonder how much has NVIDIA actually invested in DX12 from software end (drivers), considering there aren't any DX12 games and AMD has been bragging about it in a single DX12 game that has been developed with AMD onboard since day one basically...

I mean, anyone remembers the massive DX11 jump NVIDIA made some time ago? It was quite significant and it made them leading in DX11. It's not so much defending of NVIDIA because I have it now, but I just can't judge something based on one game and synthetic tests. We know how that went with GeForce FX. It was great on paper and in a lot of synthetic tests but rubbish in actual games... Or with AMD how it was great, but then had huge problems with tessellation (which also makes me wonder why they used factor 32 instead of 64)...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
You can say that about this entire subject because the dx 12 games aren't out yet

Ashes of the singularity and a fair number of tech demoes.

System Name Main PC
Processor Intel Core i5-4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel Z97 Motherboards GA-Z97-HD3P
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Super SC
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO's in RAID 0
Software Windows 10
I don't see what the big deal is. Most of us are not going to want to use our current cards in a year anyway. Regardless of if its NVIDIA or AMD. So in a year when there are a lot more DX12 games out, if in fact AMD is faster we will all just buy AMD at that time. I don't understand this brand loyalty stuff unless you are employed by one of the companies. NVIDIA is better NOW.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Nvidia did indeed optimize for DX11, both software- and hardware-wise. But is that a bad thing? This way Nvidia was able to sell their units with a much higher margin than AMD + providing better perf/watt at the same time thanks to that optimization. And by the time DX12 will see wide adoption Pascal will be out. So things have worked out rather nicely for Nvidia I'd say.

But it can only be healthy for us gamers that AMD is able to regain lost ground thanks to DX12.

Last edited:
System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
oh yay. more charts, slides and graphs predicting nvidia's doom.

even if all this was true, it doesn't mean much to me. i game on a 4k TV where HDMI 2.0 is a must, which AMD for some reason decided to skip. the fabled DP to 4k 60Hz adapters haven't materialized yet.

if this turns out to be true, my next cards will be arctic island GPUs. but i've seen AMD over promise and under deliver enough times to be skeptical of their power points.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
oh yay. more charts, slides and graphs predicting nvidia's doom.

More like calling them out on their typical crap.

I wouldn't really call it "predicting their doom." No one said this is going to ground the company, no one here is that stupid (hopefully).

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Once we have games people actually want to play that are 100% DirectX 12, we will be onto completely new GPU generations for both AMD and Nvidia. All this garbage over a single game that has effectively blown up every geek forum into AMD vs NVIDIA jargon will be mute.

More like calling them out on their typical crap.

I wouldn't really call it "predicting their doom." No one said this is going to ground the company, no one here is that stupid (hopefully).

Well there is one guy, I won't name names, but ill give you a hint. Starts with Sony.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Nvidias current hardware focused on DX11.
AMD planned ahead (even with the console hardware) and aimed for what they wanted to become mantle/DX12.
With *CURRENT HARDWARE* AMD gets an advantage in DX12

the technical reasons vary with asynch shaders being a large part of it, but this weird black and white view of a complex issue is just bizarre... does AMD having a temporary lead make Nvidia cards E-peens shrink or something?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Nvidias current hardware focused on DX11.
AMD planned ahead (even with the console hardware) and aimed for what they wanted to become mantle/DX12.
With *CURRENT HARDWARE* AMD gets an advantage in DX12

the technical reasons vary with asynch shaders being a large part of it, but this weird black and white view of a complex issue is just bizarre... does AMD having a temporary lead make Nvidia cards E-peens shrink or something?

That planning ahead (Hawaii) meant the cards that were firmly bound in DX11 failed to overturn Nvidia's GPU lead. That planning ahead has brought the company to its knees. I have no doubt at all AoS is far superior on AMD hardware but it almost seems like its become a massive PR push for things that have no current relevance.
It does seem Nvidia have a significant potential disadvantage and perhaps they are bluffing their way through on this gen but I don't for a second think AMD have played the game well over the past two years.
Even now there is no reason why they can't allow AIB's to sell air cooled Fury X cards, with more appeal than an AIO water cooler. AMD are still being arses. They may have planned ahead but very little they have done is bringing financial success.
New management, a funding injection and broader R&D would benefit the company and the consumer far more.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
That planning ahead (Hawaii) meant the cards that were firmly bound in DX11 failed to overturn Nvidia's GPU lead. That planning ahead has brought the company to its knees. I have no doubt at all AoS is far superior on AMD hardware but it almost seems like its become a massive PR push for things that have no current relevance.
It does seem Nvidia have a significant potential disadvantage and perhaps they are bluffing their way through on this gen but I don't for a second think AMD have played the game well over the past two years.
Even now there is no reason why they can't allow AIB's to sell air cooled Fury X cards, with more appeal than an AIO water cooler. AMD are still being arses. They may have planned ahead but very little they have done is bringing financial success.
New management, a funding injection and broader R&D would benefit the company and the consumer far more.

time will tell on that one, because they can sell old stock of older, tried and tested products for DX12 gaming where Nvidia need that R&D budget to catch up. AMD's profits could jump ahead because of this.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Well there is one guy, I won't name names, but ill give you a hint. Starts with Sony.

Ah, come on. I'm not that mean.

...not like I disagree, but...

... ok maybe I am.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
time will tell on that one, because they can sell old stock of older, tried and tested products for DX12 gaming where Nvidia need that R&D budget to catch up. AMD's profits could jump ahead because of this.

In that position they'll have harder time selling Fiji. If Hawaii performs as well as 980ti in DX12, Fiji becomes a white elephant, bearing in mind on some of the AoS benches, Hawaii matches Fiji.

But given Nvidia's product development deviations, if DX12 does hurt them, expect an earlier version of Pascal on HBM1 if HBM2 looks too distant.
Nvidia rarely manage to stick to any projected plan (and usually it's because of problems).
But hey, if my card falls behind in the next year, I'll happily trade out for a 390X but then I'd be humped on DX11 games. It is true time will tell but frankly it is too early.
Nvidia zealots come out with conspiracy nonsense and AMD flag wearers think the battle's won.
Fact is, the battle was lost by AMD a long time ago, the next battle isn't until 2016 and the MASS adoption of DX12.
Nobody can afford to be smug.

Last edited:
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
...Even now there is no reason why they can't allow AIB's to sell air cooled Fury X cards...
limited core and/or hbm supplys.
foundry struggling to catch up is probably the reason for 6m delay on fury and all those paper launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.