• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon AIB Partners "Frustrated" at AMD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Troubles mount for AMD as its Radeon add-in board (AIB) partners have reportedly expressed frustration at the company's lack of competition for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards, and the timing of the company's May 26 unveiling of its Polaris 10 graphics card, which could be missing in action at the 2016 Computex expo. NVIDIA recently launched its GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards, which are impressive on paper, with timely market availability by May 27 (for GTX 1080) and June 10 (for GTX 1070).

AMD hasn't launched a new performance-segment GPU since 2012. The company has been continuously re-branding its big high-end chips as performance-segment chips of future generations, which inevitably lose out on performance/Watt against NVIDIA, which has been launching new performance-segment chips since the GeForce "Kepler" architecture. AMD reportedly hasn't shared any strategy to counter the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 with its partners, nor has it named a successor to its R9 Fury series. It is, however, pacifying partners with good price-performance gains for its upcoming "Polaris" chips, which should help it win key mid-range and the lower-end of the performance-segment.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
About what is this article? Bad news based on air? A bit sour taste... like from fudzilla.

System Name Custom
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X 3D
Motherboard Asus Prime
Cooling Li Lian All in One RGB
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Display(s) Samsung 8K 85inch
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Samsung Dolby Atmos 7.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W Power Supply
PC gpus are not AMD's bread and butter anymore. Being the inexpensive integrated partner to console manufacturers and other business entities is. They are no longer concerned or financially able to be competitive in any area other than the APU sector. As a gamer it is a little sad, but as long as AMD doesn't official come out saying just that, Intel and Nvidia will be held to decent pricing. I was so proud of my Athlon64 way back when...

Processor 4690K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Cooling CRYORIG H7
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury, DDRS 1600MH2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
Storage Lots
Display(s) 24" Predator GN246HL, 1080p, 144Hz
Case Phanteks P300
Power Supply Corsair CX650
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 1/0 0.o
My guess is that it's "read team only AIB's" (sapphire, XFX ... ) that are pissed .. why would say asus, MSI or gigabyte care ?

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
One more Nviditorial that is trying to pass as news. I am expecting half the tech press that hopes for Nvidia card samples, or got Nvidia cards and wants to publish a "thank you for that sample", to copy this article and push it in the first page as news.

Last edited:
Okay this I don't understand.

Troubles mount for AMD as its Radeon add-in board (AIB) partners have reportedly expressed frustration at the company's lack of competition for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards, and the timing of the company's May 26 unveiling of its Polaris 10 graphics card, which could be missing in action at the 2016 Computex expo. NVIDIA recently launched its GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards, which are impressive on paper, with timely market availability by May 27 (for GTX 1080) and June 10 (for GTX 1070).

AMD hasn't launched a new performance-segment GPU since 2012. The company has been continuously re-branding its big high-end chips as performance-segment chips of future generations, which inevitably lose out on performance/Watt against NVIDIA, which has been launching new performance-segment chips since the GeForce "Kepler" architecture. AMD reportedly hasn't shared any strategy to counter the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 with its partners, nor has it named a successor to its R9 Fury series. It is, however, pacifying partners with good price-performance gains for its upcoming "Polaris" chips, which should help it win key mid-range and the lower-end of the performance-segment.

But the article translates to this

Nordic Hardware said:
Not the first time AMD puts gag
Even more frustrating is said to be the fact that AMD does not seem ready to show off some new graphics card public during Computex in early June.While the company is a closed press event in Macau on 26th May, the information conveyed there to be under embargo and not get published until later in June.AMD's partners hoped to showcase new graphics card models at the Computex trade show stands so far with the gag.

Which sounds like the act that occurred at Computex 2015 when AMD withheld at the official launch of the Radeon R9 300 series but where the partner manufacturerssurreptitiously showed short circuits and behind closed doors.

The very same article says they will be shown.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Okay this I don't understand.

But the article translates to this

The very same article says they will be shown.

Nordichardware is suggesting the cards won't be ready for Computex in June... Computex ends on 4th of June, the source article does suggest the cards wont be on show that early.

the information conveyed there to be under embargo and not get published until later in June.AMD's partners hoped to showcase new graphics card models at the Computex trade show stands so far with the gag.

If info isn't published till later in June, how can AIB's show cards early in June? If they are there it will not be for public expo which is the same as not being there. As they say, another closed door invite only event.

Nordichardware is suggesting the cards won't be ready for Computex in June... Computex ends on 4th of June, the source article does suggest the cards wont be on show that early.

If info isn't published till alter in June, how can AIB's show cards early in June?

Read the last sentence translated I posted. I'll bold it.

Nordic Hardware said:
Not the first time AMD puts gag
Even more frustrating is said to be the fact that AMD does not seem ready to show off some new graphics card public during Computex in early June.While the company is a closed press event in Macau on 26th May, the information conveyed there to be under embargo and not get published until later in June.AMD's partners hoped to showcase new graphics card models at the Computex trade show stands so far with the gag.

Which sounds like the act that occurred at Computex 2015 when AMD withheld at the official launch of the Radeon R9 300 series but where the partner manufacturerssurreptitiously showed short circuits and behind closed doors.

Gag usually means don't let information out.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Troubles mount for AMD as its Radeon add-in board (AIB) partners have reportedly expressed frustration at the company's lack of competition for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards
Yup, they've been rebranding GPUs since 2012 and people wonder why I don't bother with their products any more. :shadedshu:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm not a fan of either AMD or NVIDIA. I want to two strong competitors slugging it out for our money and preferably in a price war. This would result in increasingly better tech at increasingly better price points, but we don't have this as things stand.

Technical advancements in computers are supposed to lead to better technology each generation at the same or lower price point. Without this critical competition NVIDIA is giving us better tech each gen at increasingly higher price points and that seriously sucks for us. For this gen, it looks like the mid tier GTX 1080 (GP104) is going to be priced at the same price as the previous top end GTX 980 Ti (GM200) while the as yet unannounced top end "GTX 1080 Ti" that I'm interested in is going to be significantly more expensive, perhaps at Titan levels, which would place it out of my reach as no way am I spending £800-£1000 on a graphics card.

And in other news, this is forum post 12000. :peace:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Read the last sentence translated I posted. I'll bold it.

Gag usually means don't let information out.

We're going to go round in circles but I'll be explicit.

I took your post to mean AMD partners will show cards at Computex in the public halls.
However, that seems it is only for an invite only, closed door event. So really, the cards wont be on show.

I quoted the line from Nordic that references the 2015 closed door invite to illustrate my point.

So I think we both are saying cards will be at Computex but I am suggesting the source article states invite only, closed door (not public) which differs from TPU post. However, if the cards aren't publicly on show for the AIB's, that still makes the TPU post relevant and accurate.

I would suggest though that some of TPU's recent news post have very much been 'read the source to get the actual article' pieces which is a bit lazy. In fact, I'd suggest that by doing half coverage of a story it increases forum friction because the other half (as you state) suggests a slightly different picture.

And FTR I know what gags are for. Not sure if you're being condescending or not.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
PC gpus are not AMD's bread and butter anymore. Being the inexpensive integrated partner to console manufacturers and other business entities is. They are no longer concerned or financially able to be competitive in any area other than the APU sector. As a gamer it is a little sad, but as long as AMD doesn't official come out saying just that, Intel and Nvidia will be held to decent pricing. I was so proud of my Athlon64 way back when...

Actually, if I recall they make more in GPUs than pretty much anywhere. It's one of their few remaining profitable divisions.

One more Nviditorial that is trying to pass as news. I am expecting half the tech press that hopes for Nvidia card samples, or got Nvidia cards and wants to publish a "thank you for that sample", to copy this article and push it in the first page as news.

Always a fun time, watching "journalists" earn their nvidia handouts.

No wonder AMD closed the doors to most sites during their last event. The media falls in line to nvidia every time and sells their PR as fact while everything AMD does is under a critical eye. Don't get me wrong, I can see why. Expensive freebies to review that can drive ad revenue from the rabid nvidia fanboys which is obviously a much larger audience to cater to.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Aren't most GPU's sold in the segment Polaris is targeting? It's what I keep hearing amyway, I have no idea if it's true.

AMD hasn't launched a new performance-segment GPU since 2012
Sorry, but this is just an outright lie. Hawaii was an entirely new GPU and released in 2013. Fiji was an entirely new GPU and came out less than a year ago. The fact they're both based on GCN is irrelevant, as Polaris and Vega will be too, so I guess if Hawaii and Fiji don't count, neither will those. Either way, you'd expect a tech "journalist" to know the basic difference between a chip and an underlying architecture.

We're going to go round in circles but I'll be explicit.

I took your post to mean AMD partners will show cards at Computex in the public halls.
However, that seems it is only for an invite only, closed door event. So really, the cards wont be on show.

I quoted the line from Nordic that references the 2015 closed door invite to illustrate my point.

So I think we both are saying cards will be at Computex but I am suggesting the source article states invite only, closed door (not public) which differs from TPU post. However, if the cards aren't publicly on show for the AIB's, that still makes the TPU post relevant and accurate.

It states the partners hope to showcase at Computex with a gag. He then suggest it will be like 2015 a close door event.
Pick which ever he never says they will not be there

He is writing an article and is guessing on the outcome from his own findings. Which leads to the TPU article saying they might be MIA.

So we went from showcasing to close doors, to are they going to be there? :confused: o_O :banghead: :shadedshu:

Last edited:
Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Sorry, but this is just an outright lie. Hawaii was an entirely new GPU and released in 2013. Fiji was an entirely new GPU and came out less than a year ago. The fact they're both based on GCN is irrelevant, as Polaris and Vega will be too, so I guess if Hawaii and Fiji don't count, neither will those. Either way, you'd expect a tech "journalist" to know the basic difference between a chip and an underlying architecture.

Couple of people at Techpowerup have been pretty uptight about AMD products. I know i will face a lot of flake for supporting AMD at TP but AMD had no new performance-segment GPU since 2012 ??? Even Nvidia fanboys would agree Hawaii & Fiji with HBM were performance segment cards from AMD.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro

Couple of people at Techpowerup have been pretty uptight about AMD products. I know i will face a lot of flake for supporting AMD at TP but AMD had no new performance-segment GPU since 2012 ??? Even Nvidia fanboys would agree Hawaii & Fiji with HBM were performance segment cards from AMD.

When they say performance-segment, they are referring to the middle tier cards. AMD has not had an entire lineup refresh from top to bottom in quite some time. Just rebadging existing GPUs as they age. You are both thinking of enthusiast class hardware. @Aretak So before you want to start ripping on a tech journalist you might want to read and take in some context. Your fanboy stench is wreaking......

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
When they say performance-segment, they are referring to the middle tier cards. AMD has not had an entire lineup refresh from top to bottom in quite some time. Just rebadging existing GPUs as they age. You are both thinking of enthusiast class hardware. @Aretak So before you want to start ripping on a tech journalist you might want to read and take in some context. Your fanboy stench is wreaking......

Fiji is not a performance-segment GPU. It is an enthusiast-segment one. When it launched, Hawaii wasn't a performance-segment GPU either, it was enthusiast-segment.

R9 380X (Fully loaded tonga) wasn't a new GPU ??? Tonga (R9 285) wasn't a new GPU ??? @kiddagoat - And how does a debate suddenly becomes a fanboyism when its backed by data ?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Fiji is not a performance-segment GPU. It is an enthusiast-segment one. When it launched, Hawaii wasn't a performance-segment GPU either, it was enthusiast-segment.

"Tahiti," which was enthusiast-segment under HD 7000 series, was rebranded to drive performance-segment SKUs (R9 280 series), when Hawaii drove enthusiast-segment SKUs. Hawaii itself was rebranded to drive performance-segment SKUs of the next series (R9 390 series), while Fiji drives enthusiast-segment (R9 Fury/Nano series). By the time "Tonga" launched, it was driving sub-$250 (upper-mainstream) SKUs, not performance-segment. "Tonga" based SKUs competed with upper-mainstream NVIDIA SKUs (eg: GTX 960), never NVIDIA's performance-segment SKUs.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
When they say performance-segment, they are referring to the middle tier cards. AMD has not had an entire lineup refresh from top to bottom in quite some time. Just rebadging existing GPUs as they age. You are both thinking of enthusiast class hardware.
Tonga.
Also the price of 290 and latter 390 was low enough to be considered a performance segment card. Or is it considered hi end a card with a price of lower than $350?

"Tahiti," which was enthusiast-segment under HD 7000 series, was rebranded to drive performance-segment SKUs (R9 280 series), when Hawaii drove enthusiast-segment SKUs. Hawaii itself was rebranded to drive performance-segment SKUs of the next series (R9 390 series), while Fiji drives enthusiast-segment (R9 Fury/Nano series). By the time "Tonga" launched, it was driving sub-$250 (upper-mainstream) SKUs, not performance-segment. "Tonga" based SKUs competed with upper-mainstream NVIDIA SKUs (eg: GTX 960), never NVIDIA's performance-segment SKUs.

Time machine time

AMD Also Announces Radeon R9 380 Performance-segment Graphics
by btarunr

You kind of refer to Tonga as performance-segment on most of the news articles

HIS Radeon R9 285 Smiles for the Camera
by btarunr
Here are the first pictures a HIS branded Radeon R9 285, the third in a series of leaked press-shots of cards based on AMD's new performance-segment GPU, designed to take on NVIDIA's bestselling GeForce GTX 760 in not just performance, but also energy-efficiency. The card is based on a new ASIC, codenamed "Tonga," which is rumored to feature a stream processor count identical to one of the variants of "Tahiti," and a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, holding 2 GB of memory. HIS' card features a compact variant of the company's IceQ X² cooling solution. Its pictures also reveal that the R9 285 "Tonga" will feature XDMA CrossFire, much like the R9 290 series.

:fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear:

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) onboard
performance-segment
lower upper performance-segment
middle upper performance-segment
highest upper performance-segment
lowest lower enthusiast-segment
middle lower enthusiast-segment
highest lower enthusiast-segment
almost enthusiast-segment

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yeah, we have devolved into semantics here, cut it short imo.

Performance segment... they are all just marketing terms to denote some tier of hardware, and this line is shifting over time as products are shoved into the release line up

btarunr you try to give it context, but I wouldn't waste your breath on it even though you are 100% correct, 'performance' vs 'high end' vs 'enthusiast' are all just abstract terms. I remember discussing with rtwjunkie on that a few months ago, where we were in disagreement over whether GTX 970 and 980 are 'mid range' or 'high end'. There is no definite conclusion here, and price really isn't part of the equation, but actual performance related to price. (ie a 980 'golden edition' for +200 eur above MSRP changes nothing about its positioning in the performance or enthusiast bracket)

@john_ great minds think alike? :)

Last edited:
Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
is it only me or not.. I feel TPU.com kind of pissed off by AMD for recent years.. and no more hype from TPU.com about AMD product since HD5000 review... if we looking back, no phsyx support always be a cons for AMD cards, if I"m not wrong I already told about it.. and now it was gone... cuz I think it was not relevant to be a cons..

and now I feel like TPU.com kind of subjective, more to nvidia.. I'm frankly said this, cuz as a tech lover to read a review that said "fucked" to one brand.. so really a rare thing for journalism.

but it wasn't totally wrong, just littlebit odd... since TPU.com visited by people around the world by level of age.

and for this and some other articles, I've seen some inconsistency, mr. Xzibit already told it..

we knew AMD sometime or maybe manytime really fucked by nvidia, but really, just can we give some respect for all products from any brand, cuz without them there is no competion and as endusers we will have no much choices.. and we knew, there is some guys on their table worked hard and put their heart and idea to make a good product for us.. just, really?

I'm not judging, just wondered why and what happened with TPU.com and AMD?

Ps: I'm still learning English... Peace :)

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Im not judging, just wondered why and whathappen with TPU.com and AMD?

Frankly, AMD stopped producing competitive products in the enthusiast scene, which most of us are a part of.

I hope that changes, but even GPU side the last really high-end competive product that took the crown was the 7970 I think, and it got bought up by bitcoin miners, driving the price through the ceiling so it was an awful deal financially.

Their CPUs currently suck. No other way to put it. There is plenty of Zen hype of course, but we'll see.