• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which graphics card(s?) for 6 x high res monitors, not gaming

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
For that price, better off going with two RX 560s.

RX 560 = 3 displays
RX 570 = 5 displays
RX 580 = 5 displays

Can't find anything on Vega. :(
Yeah, the price isn't great but, the price might be worth it for a single slot card with 6 mDP outputs. Anyone looking at this is not planning on doing any gaming and cares more about how much space it takes up and how many monitor outputs can be used. Unfortunately, the only way to get a single slot card and 6 output is with 6x mDP outputs and options for those is very limited. Looking only turned up this card, a more expensive 7870 (not single slot either,) and some very expensive FirePro cards which themselves aren't single slot either, except for one that's basically exactly like the 7750 there.

200 USD might be worth it for 6 monitors and a single slot card given the OP's requirements.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Reason why two cards is better than one is, for example, video playback on multiple screens. Each video decoding taxes the GPU so the more grunt behind it, the better it is able to keep up.

If power consumption and heat are a concern, better off with having two NVIDIA cards. NVIDIA has historically drawn less power driving multiple monitors.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Reason why two cards is better than one is, for example, video playback on multiple screens. Each video decoding taxes the GPU so the more grunt behind it, the better it is able to keep up.

If power consumption and heat are a concern, better off with having two NVIDIA cards. NVIDIA has historically drawn less power driving multiple monitors.
But, that's not what he's going to be using this for. He described what he wants to use this for:
In a given session I might have:
2 open browser windows/tabs with documentation for what I am working on
1 code editor
1 database interface
1 slack/skype window
1 Postman app to test API calls
1 project management thing (Trello)
1 browser to search for error messages, stackoverflow posts etc
This is for productivity and GCN 1.0 is capable of doing decent playback. Even VLIW5 with my 6870s could handle most formats I was using but, it's enough for 1080p and anything else isn't exactly what the OP is looking for. So while I agree that multiple GPUs are good for that purpose, it's not something I think the OP is looking for. This about displaying information more than anything else.

Last edited:
Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
But, that's not what he's going to be using this for. He described what he wants to use this for:

This is for productivity and GCN 1.0 is capable of doing decent playback. Even VLIW5 with my 6870s could handle most formats I was using but, it's enough for 1080p and anything else isn't exactly what the OP is looking for. So while I agree that multiple GPUs are good for that purpose, it's not something I think the OP is looking for. This about displaying information more than anything else.
he has if you read the OP post, 6x 1440p monitors not 1080p

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
he has if you read the OP post, 6x 1440p monitors not 1080p
You missed the point then because the OP said nothing about watching videos at 1440p. In fact the OP said absolutely nothing about watching videos in the first place but, it's not unlikely that the 7750 could decode 1440p video in certain situations. The OP did a fairly good job making it clear that the goal is to use this machine for productivity purposes and never once mentioned video but did mention that gaming was not a factor so, given that and the quote below, I think you can say with confidence that video performance at his native resolution isn't a cocern that is paramount.

You may have missed it but, the OP did say what the was going to use this for:
In a given session I might have:
2 open browser windows/tabs with documentation for what I am working on
1 code editor
1 database interface
1 slack/skype window
1 Postman app to test API calls
1 project management thing (Trello)
1 browser to search for error messages, stackoverflow posts etc

The OP also made it very clear what his goal was. It's even in large, bold, text... preceded by what it's not for.
What graphics card(s?) should I go for, to feed the 6 monitors at this resolution?

It will not be used for gaming at all, so game performance is irrelevant.

What you're seeing is a dev who doesn't want to switch between windows. Honestly, I can't really blame him. I got the three 1080ps under the same mentality.

I have had 4K monitors. Did not care for it. I much prefer this.

Main reasons:
- I really want the area, square centimeters, not just the pixels
- Each screen to me is a workspace. This one has documentation, skype and slack run on this one, here is the code editor, here is a browser etc etc.

For gaming, this would not be optimal and the bezels might distract you. For my use, this is way better.
well that does make sense, but windows can be separated into workspaces in software (probably easier in linux with certain window managers), the pixel count is specific to fixed size user interface elements like the browser addressbar, taskbar, etc

i guess screen size would limit the choices to televisions or overpriced industrial, also makes me wonder about the structural integrity of a single large screen with its weight