• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 Shipping with DDR4 Instead of GDDR5

Low-end graphics cards usually don't attract much attention from the enthusiasts crowd. Nevertheless, not all computer users are avid gamers, and most average-joe users are perfectly happy with an entry-level graphics card, for example, a GeForce GT 1030. To refresh our memories a bit, NVIDIA launched the GeForce GT 1030 last year to compete against AMD's Radeon RX 550. It was recently discovered that several manufacturers have been shipping a lower-spec'd version of the GeForce GT 1030. According to NVIDIA's official specifications, the reference GeForce GT 1030 was shipped with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory running at 6008 MHz (GDDR5-effective) across a 64-bit wide memory bus which amassed to a memory bandwidth of 48 GB/s. However, some models from MSI, Gigabyte, and Palit come with DDR4 memory operating at 2100 MHz instead. If you do the math, that comes down to a memory bandwidth of 16.8 GB/s which certainly is a huge downgrade, on paper at least. The good news amid the bad is that the DDR4-based variants consume 10W less than the reference model.

Will this memory swap affect real-world performance? Probably. However, we won't know till what extent without proper testing. Unlike the GeForce MX150 fiasco, manufacturers were kind enough to let consumers know the difference between both models this time around. The lower-end DDR4 variant carries the "D4" denotation as part of the graphics card's model or consumers can find the denotation on the box. Beware, though, as not all manufacturers will give you the heads up. For example, Palit doesn't.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Not enough drama!

But before NVIDIA takes mostly undeserved flak, let's throw in some logic, reasoning, common sense and data for a change. :)

First of all, NVIDIA does not sell [comsumer GPUs based on the] GT 1030 [chip], unlike the title of this click-bait news says.

Secondly, GT 1030 specs page does not list a memory type.

Thirdly, it's up to NVIDIA's partners to specify low speed memory type and, oh, my god, at least MSI is semi-honest about that: GEFORCE GT 1030 2GD4 LP OC and GEFORCE GT 1030 2GHD4 LP OC (there are two more cards with GD4 monikers but I'm too lazy to list them) - see, it's "D4" meaning DDR4.

Fourthly, GT 1030 is such an underpowered chip, lower spec'ed RAM will hardly make it significantly slower than it already is. Hardly anyone buys GT 1030 to game - this chip is barely faster than built-in Coffee Lake graphics.

Fourthly, it must always be up to a buyer to verify his or her purchases against previously known specs.

Sixthly, it's up to NVIDIA's partners to specify the cards which have a worse memory configuration - this is perhaps the only thing you might accuse NVIDIA of.

Now, let's have some serious drama and loud vapid accusations.

Not enough drama!

But before NVIDIA takes mostly undeserved flak, let's throw in some logic, reasoning, common sense and data for a change. :)

First of all, NVIDIA does not sell [comsumer GPUs based on the] GT 1030 [chip], unlike the title of this click-bait news says.

Thirdly, it's up to NVIDIA's partners to specify low speed memory type and, oh, my god, at least MSI is semi-honest about that: GEFORCE GT 1030 2GD4 LP OC and GEFORCE GT 1030 2GHD4 LP OC (there are two more cards with GD4 monikers but I'm too lazy to list them) - see, it's "D4" meaning DDR4.

Fourthly, GT 1030 is such an underpowered chip, lower spec'ed RAM will hardly make it significantly slower than it already is. Hardly anyone buys GT 1030 to game - this chip is barely faster than built-in Coffee Lake graphics.

Fourthly, it must always be up to a buyer to verify his or her purchases against previously known specs.

Sixthly, it's up to NVIDIA's partners to specify the cards which have a worse memory configuration - this is perhaps the only thing you might accuse NVIDIA of.

WTH are you talking about, the GDDR5 models are at least 2x faster than any Intel IGP out there, except the Iris/Pro parts :rolleyes:

Can't say how the DDR4 models will fare, but it depends on the DDR4 mem speed.

Not enough drama!

You are the one doing drama here

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Where? All the title implies is that an NVIDIA based card is being downgraded, it doesn't say by whom.

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
All I know is that when this happens to Radeon cards, the forum explodes with outrage, but when Team Green cards are getting downgraded nobody cares. The sad part is that us power users will know the difference, so if we put together a PC for mom or dad, this won't be an issue. The problem is when mom or dad get a PC with this in there and they're still getting buffering on their youtube videos or are getting low FPS on solitaire :laugh:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Not enough drama!

No but they list the memory speed and chip speed, which are both lowered with these new cards(note there's no UP-TO speeds anywhere on the spec list). But yeah, this is nothing new with low end graphics cards and Nvidia will most probably update the specs page in future(take a gt 730 specs for example).

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Not enough drama!

Sure thing , number one Nvidia and Intel defender. Coming out of the woodwork every time you spot your favorite color being critiqued , huh ?

We don't need any drama , especially yours.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Why didn't they use a new name, GT 1020 for example? Naming and product specs are always a mess on the low end.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Nobody cares because nobody buys a POS card like this for gaming. Personally I think the lower power consumption is far more useful for its intended market than bandwidth that is either never going to be used, or end up being irrelevant because other areas of the card are just too slow. Considering the card's TDP is 30W, shaving 10W off that is a massive improvement that makes me wonder why these things aren't passively cooled.

Chino said:
Beware, though, as not all manufacturers will give you the heads up. For example, Palit doesn't.

I feel like they aren't going to bother with small details like that on a 3D render.

WTH are you talking about, the GDDR5 models are at least 2x faster than any Intel IGP out there, except the Iris/Pro parts

If you're buying this card as an upgrade from an IGP, you're doing something so very, very wrong.

Where? All the title implies is that an NVIDIA based card is being downgraded, it doesn't say by whom.

Are you honestly going to claim with a straight face that most users of this traditionally pro-AMD forum are not going to jump to the obvious conclusion? Especially when most of the users who jump into AMD/NVIDIA threads are either the cheerleaders or detractors whose only "contribution" consists of slagging off the "enemy" team? As we have seen aptly demonstrated in this very thread?

If so, I've got a couple of bridges to sell you.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Only use for the 1030 is a cheap GPU for a Ryzen build, upgrading for an old Core2Duo/Phenom II/FX, or having something good for Vulkan and specially OpenGL coding.

If you're buying this card as an upgrade from an IGP, you're doing something so very, very wrong.
I'm not, I just have it in my laptop as an MX150. Also I was correcting him when he said CFL IGP can match the GT 1030, it doesn't & the regular GDDR5 models are 2x as fast. Thirdly, depending on whether you get the DDR4 version or GDDR5, you're numbers (gaming or otherwise) could drop anywhere between 20 to 60% easily due to the limited bandwidth that 64bit wide bus (DDR4) will provide.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
What... isn't that a typo? DDR4? Not even GDDR4? Are you sure?

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
it usually is in desktop prebuilt computers. useless card on what you can not do anything.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
What... isn't that a typo? DDR4? Not even GDDR4? Are you sure?

That's correct, GDDR4 only ever shipped on a handful of products because GDDR3 is cheaper and GDDR5 (which arrived shortly after) is faster. I'm guessing plain-Jane DDR4 is used because it sips less power than the G- variants.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Meh, who cares as long as its marked differently from the GDDR5 counterparts. Its such a low end card as is it makes sense to have some lower end memory as well. Not going to be gaming on it much at least anyways, its mostly for system to have a better than stock GPU performance for light tasks. I use something small and similar in my Dell server just to give it better output, let a friend play some very light games on it should the need arise, and to boost performance a bit in some of the tasks I have it do.

If they are going to completely phase out the GDDR5 variant then it just needs to be marked accordingly and problem solved.

Not part of the GPP ?

Nvidia said:
The GeForce Partner Program is designed to ensure that gamers have full transparency into the GPU platform and software they’re being sold, and can confidently select products that carry the NVIDIA GeForce promise.

Sure thing , number one Nvidia and Intel defender. Coming out of the woodwork every time you spot your favorite color being critiqued , huh ?

We don't need any drama , especially yours.

Transgressing to ad hominem attacks - I see. Attacking the opponent, instead of his arguments - I see.

Meanwhile I've never defended neither NVIDIA, nor Intel. However talking reasonably about companies and their marketing and product tactics/policy is not welcome here. I get it.

I must love the underdog (AMD) and dismiss or slam everything that Intel and NVIDIA do. Pretty much everything. I get it.

Too bad, in my life I've owned roughly the same share of Intel and AMD CPUs (2 each) and the same share share of NVIDIA and ATI/AMD GPUs (also, 2 of each). I must be mad for choosing the best bang for the buck instead of being a blind faithful fanboy. I get it.

Cheers, fella. I'm replying to your message by mistake: TPU doesn't filter blacklisted people in the news comments section.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
However talking reasonably about companies and their marketing and product tactics/policy is not welcome here.

You are not doing any of that buddy , don't kid yourself. This was no "ad hominem attack ", just saying what I see.

I'm replying to your message by mistake: .

Well , then don't reply back ... by mistake. However that works.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You have stated facts and reasoned argument, so are therefore a bad person to have rotten eggs thrown at! :p I know, I've been there so many times, buddy.

You have also committed the cardinal sin of going straight from fourthly to sixthly, with no fifthly. For this you should should be shot at dawn! :laugh:

Finally, check out my graphics card showdown in my siggy. The GT 1030 is actually as fast as a GTX 285 from 2009 and obliterates the legendary 8800 GTX from 2006. Given this, DX12 support, low power etc, it's actually a super top end card when compared to these. Oh and my one does all this passively with no sign of overheating, too. I love how what's considered high end changes with the times. :)

And referring to the article, if these lower end variants had been around when I got my GT 1030, I would have made sure to avoid them. Sure, I only got it to play with and run these benchmarks, but I still want the best variant out there. I don't appreciate companies like Palit hiding such pertinent details.

Last edited:
System Name No Name
Processor i7 980 @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard GA-X99M-GAMING
Video Card(s) MSU Gaming X 1070
Audio Device(s) X7 Creative LE
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard K95 Corsair RGB Blue

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Why doesn't Nvidia just outright block anything other than GDDR5 on their GPUs?.