• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Works on "Zen 5" Micro-architecture Already

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD late Monday posted a video of key people associated with the company's successful Ryzen processor family, to walk down memory lane and stare into the future, on its official YouTube channel. Mike Clark, who holds the designation of Sr. Fellow Design Engineering at AMD, stated that he is "already working on Zen 5." Going by AMD's naming convention, the number next to "Zen" denotes major micro-architecture generation since "Zen" and any "+" following the number denotes refinement to a newer silicon fabrication node. "Zen+," for example, is a refinement of "Zen 1" or simply "Zen" to the newer 12 nm process, and allows AMD engineers to make minor improvements without any major design changes.

On the other hand, "Zen 2" presents AMD with the opportunity to bring about major design changes (think "more than 4 cores per CCX"), or even improvements within the core itself. "Zen 5" is hence the fifth major micro-architecture chance since "Zen," although it would be premature to call it "6th generation Ryzen," as there could be several "+" stopgaps between "Zen +" and "Zen 5." To ensure people don't dismiss Clark's words for a slip of the tongue, AMD even annotated "Yes, he said Zen 5, see Endnote," and in the Endnote that has a lot of CYA statements, confirmed that "Zen 5" is a legit internal code-name for a micro-architecture AMD is working on.

The video follows.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

That's cool. I mean, that AMD finally got traction on their CPU's. I just wish they'd achieve the same with GPU's. They were doing so well and their effort just flattened entirely in recent years. Which is a shame, they made amazing GPU's in the past. Not that distant past...

So I'm assuming Zen5 is Ryzen 5xxx series or has the Raja bug spread to the CPU division as well :shadedshu:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
So I'm assuming Zen5 is Ryzen 5xxx series or has the Raja bug spread to the CPU division as well :shadedshu:

Why would it be? Ryzen 2xxx isn't Zen 2, it's Zen+.

Why would it be? Ryzen 2xxx isn't Zen 2, it's Zen+.
Because if it's the fifth major iteration to Zen then expect it to come no sooner than 6-8 years from now, AMD themselves are looking at tick tock. Also this ~

It is an internal codename, could be anything in reality though since PR isn't officially Zen+ IIRC

That's cool. I mean, that AMD finally got traction on their CPU's. I just wish they'd achieve the same with GPU's. They were doing so well and their effort just flattened entirely in recent years. Which is a shame, they made amazing GPU's in the past. Not that distant past...

Objectively speaking, vega is actually solid, its just that nvidia has been on steroids with new architectures back to back. Nvidias dominance also is not related to their performance because historically; even when AMD had superior performance and architectures they still struggled to get market share. And with AMD pushing for dx12 (close to the metal capability) it only backfired because more developers design their games for nvidia in mind since its the no brainer thing to do with their higher marketshare. Vega as it stands has alot of untapped potential due to features that no one is using. For example Vega is more capable than pascal in general purpose compute, but thats useless when the majority of the professional world is stuck with nvidias proprietary ecosystem. In order for AMD to compete it needs to stop creating original balanced designs and create a simple shader heavy design that tackles the common mainstream game design model.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Objectively speaking, vega is actually solid, its just that nvidia has been on steroids with new architectures back to back.

So basically it's fine as long as it doesn't have to actually go up against competition ;)

In other news, companies have a development pipeline. That changes the way we understand the world around us :D

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
So basically it's fine as long as it doesn't have to actually go up against competition ;)

In other news, companies have a development pipeline. That changes the way we understand the world around us :D
Last I check Vega was pitted against the 1080 from AMDs slides, so unless you have internal knowledge...Vega did quite well. Sorry if it didn't fit your expectations.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Last I check Vega was pitted against the 1080 from AMDs slides, so unless you have internal knowledge...Vega did quite well. Sorry if it didn't fit your expectations.
I was just picking on @sergionography 's wording. Sorry if I tarnished your precious :D

So Zen 3 is not last version of Zen, as they hinted. They have no resources to put in Zen 3 everything what they planned to do, so moved part of work into new revision

System Name Blackwidow/
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Software Win 10 Pro
I was just picking on @sergionography 's wording. Sorry if I tarnished your precious :D
That is one thing I don't care about. I'll buy whatever I want regardless of what people say. I can get a Titan V if I wanted to right now...I just refuse to. Don't spread fud is all I ask...comments like yours is why I and a lot of people I know are avoiding forums now a days, people cant act right anymore.

@TristanX all it is just a name, could be on a new socket and the sorts. Original Zen is over a year old, if there is a + after every revision then this could be about 5-8 years time.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
So Zen 3 is not last version of Zen, as they hinted. They have no resources to put in Zen 3 everything what they planned to do, so moved part of work into new revision
Well, Prescott and Bulldozer have stayed with us for longer than 3 iterations and they were terrible CPUs. I'd be surprised if Zen didn't live past its third iteration.
But at the same time, AMD's own Hammer architecture which used to run circles around Intel, hasn't seen that many iterations in the end. So who knows?

Objectively speaking, vega is actually solid, its just that nvidia has been on steroids with new architectures back to back. Nvidias dominance also is not related to their performance because historically; even when AMD had superior performance and architectures they still struggled to get market share. And with AMD pushing for dx12 (close to the metal capability) it only backfired because more developers design their games for nvidia in mind since its the no brainer thing to do with their higher marketshare. Vega as it stands has alot of untapped potential due to features that no one is using. For example Vega is more capable than pascal in general purpose compute, but thats useless when the majority of the professional world is stuck with nvidias proprietary ecosystem. In order for AMD to compete it needs to stop creating original balanced designs and create a simple shader heavy design that tackles the common mainstream game design model.

I know. I wanted one. t's just that it was unobtainable for months. And you basically still can't get an aftermarket one. I didn't mind the higher power draw. I have a quality 750W PSU.

System Name HydroAMD
Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Watercooling: 360mm Fans: 6x Corsair RGB 120mm
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo @ 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Black
Storage Samsung Evo 960 500GB - 2TB HP EX950 m.2 - 1TB 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 32" Curved QHD C32HG70 2560×1440
Case Corsair Crystal 570X
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy - 18284
It should be no surprise that companies in the semi-conductor industry are working on 4-5+ generations ahead. It takes a LOOOONG time to develop these architectures and bring them to market... And, the fact that every company is sand-bagging... lol. Trust me, I work in the industry... We could have made memory modules with a TB+ of storage... but we don't, because that doesn't make a lot money over time.

Welcome to the industry... Where we know you'll always buy the next gen +10-15% performance boost. XD

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
AMD Ryzen has definitely given Intel a much deserved kick in the rear end but I wouldn't say that Ryzen's been a complete success. There are definitely some issues that came up, memory compatibility, lower single-threaded performance and high clock speed when compared to that of Intel are three major issues that plagued Ryzen. Memory compatibility may be solved with Ryzen 2xxx series but certainly not the single-threaded performance issue along with the clock speed issue, those I seriously doubt will be fixed until Zen 2 (Ryzen 3xxx-series).

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

For lower power/budget it seems ok aka the new APUs, but the likes of 56/64, it strains and struggles.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
zen 5 for ddr5 then?

System Name Blackwidow/
Software Win 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen has definitely given Intel a much deserved kick in the rear end but I wouldn't say that Ryzen's been a complete success. There are definitely some issues that came up, memory compatibility, lower single-threaded performance and high clock speed when compared to that of Intel are three major issues that plagued Ryzen. Memory compatibility may be solved with Ryzen 2xxx series but certainly not the single-threaded performance issue along with the clock speed issue, those I seriously doubt will be fixed until Zen 2 (Ryzen 3xxx-series).
As if Intel don't have the same kind of release issues...I was a launch owner of the X99 platform. I still have some issues til this day...and I'm quite certain that I cant be the only one.

It went up against gtx1080 because thats the best it can do right now. But what i was saying is that it has potential for much more except that AMD isnt dominant enough at this point to push their own technology and features to developers. To put things in perspective for you; Vega 64 has the same die size as a gtx1080 ti, and when run at the same power level as a 1080ti its actually a bit slower than a 1080.

For lower power/budget it seems ok aka the new APUs, but the likes of 56/64, it strains and struggles.
Yes because the way amd design their gpus isnt like nvidia. nvidia build their architecture with a preset configuration that gets scaled from top to buttom. Amd on the other hand uses a lego like approach so u end up with different chips from the same generation having varying efficiency due to their different configurations and ratio of compute units that make up the overall package. In general GCN/vega is way more general purpose than pascal, which also could be said is overengineered, so just like amd did with ryzen, they need to streamline their gpu architecture into a simple solid design. Over-engineering almost always ends up giving u some extra features or perks at the price of the main function of the product/design