• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Ends Controversial GeForce Partner Program (GPP)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I guess some dumbasses fresh outta college had a meeting in some pot smoke filled room thinking that we couldn't tell the difference between a GPU from AMD or nVidia?
You'll be surprised. The majority of my customers only look at obvious "what's on the box" stuff, so they can be duped into buying an old GT740 with 4GB DDR3 over a 2GB GTX1050 thinking that it's a better and cheaper option. Or chosing a PC with a quad-core Celeron N3150 versus a dual-core Celeron G3930 for office work, and then complaining that it's too slow.

Though, I don't think that "preventing confusion amongst customers" was on the top of NV priority list when they've created GPP. :kookoo:

tnn500aff

Bad NVIDIA, bad NVIDIA !

dogggg.jpg

"AMD is an underdog in graphics, so let's hate NVIDIA because it's so cool", right? Not a single piece of reliable information has leaked in regard to GPP, yet suddenly NVIDIA is the worst offender of its market position.

People hate nVidia because they are anti-consumer and anti-competitive (I won't go into details about their vendor lock-ins, they are well known). If a company acts like an --snip-- then it should expect to be treated like an --snip-- ...

And if GPP was so transparent, nVidia could easily dismiss every misinformation about it and emerge as a big winner. The fact that they axed it, just confirms that everything about the program was shady.

And don't get me started on NVIDIA trying to monopolize the GPU market. They have done nothing akin to what Intel exercised in the AMD K8 days. NVIDIA just wanted to be featured as a brand.

No! They hijacked the best Gaming brands to get an advantage (that they don't really need) over their competitor and push their market share even higher. It doesn't matter if this is worse or better than Intel vs AMD, consumers should not support this!

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
You'll be surprised. The majority of my customers only look at obvious "what's on the box" stuff, so they can be duped into buying an old GT740 with 4GB DDR3 over a 2GB GTX1050 thinking that it's a better and cheaper option. Or chosing a PC with a quad-core Celeron N3150 versus a dual-core Celeron G3930 for office work, and then complaining that it's too slow.

Though, I don't think that "preventing confusion amongst customers" was on the top of NV priority list when they've created GPP. :kookoo:

The sad thing is that an regular person who just knows how to use the pc, without knowing the real value of the hardware is unfortunately wrapped in a thing called big company's lullaby and it is i quote

"The manufacture, packaging, distribution and marketing of bullshit. High-quality, grade-A, prime-cut, pure bullshit."

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
A load of bullocks. This entire GPP program and all the vapid accusations in regard to it.

"AMD is an underdog in graphics, so let's hate NVIDIA because it's so cool", right? Not a single piece of reliable information has leaked in regard to GPP, yet suddenly NVIDIA is the worst offender of its market position.

I find those NVIDIA/AMD sub brands (MSI GAMING, ASUS ROG, Gigabyte AURUS, etc.) completely useless for all intends and purposes.

I don't buy GPUs because they are funnily branded. I buy GPUs based solely on their performance (cooling, oc'bility)/price/specs.

I couldn't care less about an additional moniker of the GPU in my computer.

It's a moniker. No one has ever stopped ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, Palit, etc. from creating an additional brand for AMD GPUs. Nothing.

And don't get me started on NVIDIA trying to monopolize the GPU market. They have done nothing akin to what Intel exercised in the AMD K8 days. NVIDIA just wanted to be featured as a brand. Intel actively bribed (in one way or another) OEMs, system integrators and whole sellers, so that they didn't sell AMD CPUs.
What the GPP required would not be so harmful to AMD in the end, but it's better to nip such monopolistic practises in the bud before they go too far.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600 PRO
Motherboard AsRock B450 Pro4
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 /w Noctua NF-P12
Memory Silicon Power XPower Zenith 2x8GB @1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB / Crucial MX 500 1TB
Display(s) Dell P2419H
Case Fractal Design Pop Air /w 3x Arctic P12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Edifier R1000T4
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse Microsoft Intelimouse Pro
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Turns on on the first try! Usually.
A load of bullocks. This entire GPP program and all the vapid accusations in regard to it.

I find those NVIDIA/AMD sub brands (MSI GAMING, ASUS ROG, Gigabyte AURUS, etc.) completely useless for all intends and purposes.

I don't buy GPUs because they are funnily branded. I buy GPUs based solely on their performance (cooling, oc'bility)/price/specs.

I couldn't care less about an additional moniker of the GPU in my computer.

It's a moniker. No one has ever stopped ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, Palit, etc. from creating an additional brand for AMD GPUs. Nothing.

And don't get me started on NVIDIA trying to monopolize the GPU market. They have done nothing akin to what Intel exercised in the AMD K8 days. NVIDIA just wanted to be featured as a brand. Intel actively bribed (in one way or another) OEMs, system integrators and whole sellers, so that they didn't sell AMD CPUs.
See that bolded part, the whole GPP ordeal was not mean for the likes of you, or most users of this (or any other) tech forum. It was meant to "trick" the average user to buy the "gaming" brand.
Forum goers know what kind of performance/cooling/power consumption will they get when they buy a GPU, but an average consumer won't, they'll buy a shiny gaming box and that's it.
That was the whole issue with GPP on the consumer side, and, as others said, it might have been a move to stop Vega M from creeping into the OEM gaming territory.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Good riddance! But I doubt they will stop trying manipulating the market, although they won't dare make it so profound again soon. They didn't dare to make an official press announcement though but just a blog post. For something non-existant eh? :p

What's really interesting (aside from all the vapid accusations without any hard evidence on each and every online forum) is this (source):
Kyle_Bennett said:
NVIDIA told me I would be cut off if I published the GPP story. Since I did that, they will not reply to any of my emails, so I suspect that bridge is burned forever.
AMD is obviously happy over it, as you would expect.
As for AIBs, we are not into new video card season yet, but I would guess that it is very possible that NVIDIA will forbid them from sampling HardOCP with NV GPU cards.
It will be interesting if NVIDIA pushes the AIBs to pull advertising from my site, which I figure will happen too.
So all in all, it is likely this will put an end to HardOCP, but I knew that when I published the story. Not crying over spilt milk here, just discussing the facts around the situation.

Kyle is the HardOCP editor who spilt the story.

I do understand why NVIDIA might got offended but this gesture might indicate that something is inherently wrong about the GPP, 'cause otherwise they wouldn't have a reason to react in a such a mean way.

I for one will wait until the investigation into the GPP is over and we get some hard evidence of what the GPP really was and what it stipulated. Unlike all NVIDIA/Intel/insert_your_brand_here haters I prefer to work with facts, not emotions and conjectures.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
well that escalated quickly. But, it was expected that OEMs won't sign up for such controversial program, no matter how sweet it may sound. That'll teach Nvidia a lesson on how to NOT piss everyone off. AMD may be laughing their asses off by now, considering how bad the community responded to the green camp's program...

What's really interesting (aside from all the vapid accusations without any hard evidence on each and every online forum) is this (source):

Kyle is the HardOCP editor who spilt the story.

I do understand why NVIDIA might got offended but this gesture might indicate that something is inherently wrong about the GPP, 'cause otherwise they wouldn't have a reason to react in a such a mean way.

I for one will wait until the investigation into the GPP is over and we get some hard evidence of what the GPP really was and what it stipulated. Unlike all NVIDIA/Intel/insert_your_brand_here haters I prefer to work with facts, not emotions and conjectures.

Funny enough Nvidia doesnt want to give us or anyone any facts on this "transparent program". They could have easily cleared things up if they wanted at anytime throughout this ordeal.

They could of layed the facts out as to why this program is so great, Instead they....

Nvidia said:
A lot has been said recently about our GeForce Partner Program. The rumors, conjecture and mistruths go far beyond its intent. Rather than battling misinformation, we have decided to cancel the program.

Guess it wasn't so great or even worth being transparent about it after all.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
@Xzibit guess the "transparent" part of their program isn't all that crystal clear after all...

If I were in the administration of this forum, I'd delete most of the replies in this discussion. People keep on speculating that the GPP was anticompetitive without any real data. All I see is, "NVIDIA is bad, the GPP is bad". Such a "constructive" discussion, guys. More like a BS discussion.

One of the reasons the GPP was ended is because it's a PR disaster even if there was nothing anticompetive about it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Funny enough Nvidia doesnt want to give us or anyone any facts on this "transparent program". They could have easily cleared things up if they wanted at anytime throughout this ordeal.

They could of layed the facts out as to why this program is so great, Instead they....

Guess it wasn't so great or even worth being transparent about it after all.

I had no major beef with a company leveraging their brand advantage but your point is absolutely correct. Their lack of transparency did no good at all, leading to the reaction it received.
If you dont want to appear monopolistic, you need to be really honest about your practices.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I suspect NVIDIA burned the trail and made sure everyone that saw the contract did too under observation. The only evidence will be testimony by people that saw it--the same people that Bennett questioned.

One of the reasons the GPP was ended is because it's a PR disaster even if there was nothing anticompetive about it.
They likely issued the retraction while admitting no guilt via their blog because blogs are opinion pieces and the timing of it (after NASDAQ closed for the weekend) is very, very typical of corporations publishing bad news. If they retracted it via a press release (official corporate dealings), forget the FTC, the Department of Justice and a dozen states would be filing suit within a week. Lying on a press release, because NVIDIA is a publicly traded company, instantly turns it into a securities fraud investigation on top of anti-trust. Huang would likely end up with a prison sentence on securities fraud charges. Considering that, would any company in NVIDIA's position not sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened? This goes far beyond PR. I expect NVIDIA's stock to dive on Monday. The only reason why it wouldn't is if investors don't believe the threat of anti-trust investigation is real.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
even if there was nothing anticompetive about it
Anti-Competitive? I want to sell you something you need to make your product and I also want to dictate what can and what you cannot do with the thing you just bought from me. How would you feel about it?
... aaand Anti-Competitive part is in the demand itself - they wanted to reserve already popular and established aib brands to themselves and force creating new ones for competition

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I'm glad they ended GPP. It really was not fair to ask other manufacturers to choose a side and say it's better for gamers this way. Now the only thing I'm interested is what will ASUS do with the AREZ lineup.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Our hearts bleed for poor Kyle.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Only if it's all defamation. If what Bennett published is all factual, NVIDIA can't do anything except cut ties to Bennett. If the FTC presses anti-trust charges against NVIDIA, Bennett and AMD can sue NVIDIA as damaged parties referencing the FTC suit. I think Bennett could likely find employment with someone else. It will no doubt be a rough patch for HardOCP though.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Are Radeon cards under the same brands as the Geforce cards again? If not then the whole program fulfilled it's purpose and continues unofficially.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Hit and run. Nvidia knows very well what they are doing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8h3msl
And now they could be gunning for hardocp

And that's how review sites end up being manipulated by Nvidia/AMD/Intel to give favorable reviews and such because otherwise you get jack shit from them and can't do your job properly anymore. These guys aren't bribing anyone , instead they put pressure on everyone to keep their mouths shut and if you don't...

So, whenever you see sites not picking up controversial news or they refrain from giving their own opinion , it's not by mistake.

Last edited:
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403