• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Zen 2" IPC 29 Percent Higher than "Zen"

I'm not sure where you and I disagree. All these CPUs will work at 95W at their designated baseline clocks. With beefier heat sinks you can extract more performance. Nothing has changed, except the boost algorithms that have become smarter. Would you prefer a hard 95W limitation instead or what's your beef here?
Smarter boost algorithms have absolutely nothing to do with this. Intel already had Speedstep to take care of dynamically downclocking the CPU to lower power states during low-intensity workloads In fact they've had it since 2005, so long that their trademark on Speedstep lapsed in 2012.

My 6700K has no trouble downclocking to save power when it's not necessary. The 3rd Gen i5 I'm typing this on has no trouble with that either. The Pentium 4 660 had it, I can find from a cursory google. In fact, support for the power-saving tech was originally mainly difficult not due to the platforms, but because of a lack of operating system support for the feature. "Smarter" power saving algorithms should have nothing to do with "Turbo boost" technology.

We disagree in that you think it is reasonable for Intel to consider a 9900K as "working according to spec" at 3.6GHz and "Overclocked" at 4.7GHz, when clearly these products are actually designed to run at higher clocks, and are expected to by consumers, and *will run* at higher clocks, it's just that it is only achievable at a *much* higher TDP than intel claims their CPU actually has.

They can't have their cake and eat it - Either the 9900K is "The world's fastest gaming CPU (At 150W TDP)", or it is a 95W part (but isn't anywhere close to being the fastest gaming CPU at that TDP).

Intel should not be allowed to advertise this product as both of these mutually exclusive things.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Buying AM4 was the best choice.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
We disagree in that you think it is reasonable for Intel to consider a 9900K as "working according to spec" at 3.6GHz and "Overclocked" at 4.7GHz, when clearly these products are actually designed to run at higher clocks, and are expected to by consumers, and *will run* at higher clocks, it's just that it is only achievable at a *much* higher TDP than intel claims their CPU actually has.

Clearly? Are you sure about that?

They can't have their cake and eat it - Either the 9900K is "The world's fastest gaming CPU (At 150W TDP)", or it is a 95W part (but isn't anywhere close to being the fastest gaming CPU at that TDP).

There's no either/or here. It's both/and.
It used to be easy to say this CPU is better than that CPU when CPUs had a single core. It's become more complicated ever since.

I want at least 5ghz on all cores from new 2700x equivalent.15-20% ipc gain. Then I'm sold.Am I asking for too much? I do no think so considering Intel has not played die shrink hand yet but will do late in 2019.they probably will reach 5.5ghz plus.I want all AMD with cpu and gpu and use a free sync monitor.but AMD has to show me something for me to depart with my money.

Clearly? Are you sure about that?

There's no either/or here. It's both/and.
It used to be easy to say this CPU is better than that CPU when CPUs had a single core. It's become more complicated ever since.
1 - Yes, yes I am sure about that.

2 - Intel wants to claim it can be the fastest gaming CPU while being 95W TDP. That's simply not true. It's 95W, or it's fast. One or the other.

It's not a 95W part at the same time as being the fastest gaming CPU.
It's not the fastest gaming CPU at 95W.

Why are you so insistent on defending their clear attempt to advertise a dichotomous product in a misleading way? What do you get out of refusing to admit that Intel's CPU draws as much power as it actually does?

System Name N/A
Processor Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
Storage SSD
Display(s) Samsung 4K HDR 60 Hz TV
Case Eagle Warrior Gaming
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Coolermaster Elite 460W
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
Should have... would they be able to? A new node enables a new design I think and the compromises to do it on 14nm would kill the advantage anyway. 14nm is clearly pushed to the limit, and even over it for some parts if you look at their stock temps, (9th gen hi).

Eh... IPS in my mind is In Plane Switching for displays.
He spelled it fine, you didn't read it right

AMD increased IPC with each iteration of Bulldozer, all of them 32/28 nm. So why couldn't Intel increase IPC in 14 nm?
About the temps, by increasing IPC Intel could reduce clocks and still have higher performance with lower temps.

Gosh, I'm really sorry, was my bad! View attachment 110394
Picked the wrong quote, was meant to quote @WikiFM

Smartcom

I said single threaded or IPC not because I think they are the same, but because Intel beats AMD in both.

Last edited:
AMD increased IPC with each iteration of Bulldozer, all of them 28 nm. So why couldn't Intel increase IPC in 14 nm?
About the temps, by increasing IPC Intel could reduce clocks and still have higher performance with lower temps.

I said single threaded or IPC not because I think they are the same, but because Intel beats AMD in both.
You mean once on 32nm & twice on 28nm? As for Intel ~ remember Tick Tock, which is now Tick Tock Tick Tick Tick :laugh:

Lisa Su said that work on Zen2 began 4 years back, sometime after that they would've realized that their vision could only be fulfilled on 7nm. Like wise for Intel they've been working on Icelake for 4~6 years & even if one assumes it could theoretically be backported to 14nm+++ that simply wouldn't work without major compromises to the final design. Just an FYI retail chips are rumored to feature AVX512, which is simply not possible on this node. That IPC gain includes a hefty one time benefit from AVX512.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
AMD increased IPC with each iteration of Bulldozer, all of them 28 nm. So why couldn't Intel increase IPC in 14 nm?

Because architecture isn't bound to a node but to a design. A viable architecture can scale as the nodes get smaller - Core and Zen represent such architectures.

The real story is told by IPC advances within the Core architecture and those are so massive, they are responsible for the lead AMD is still working to catch up on. Intel's main issue with Core is that they pulled out all the stops already with Sandy Bridge, and it was so strong, it remains relevant to this day. This is also why I among others say that Core has reached its peak and it needs radical changes to remain relevant. Its the same with GCN. Everything shows that it has been stretched to the max.

The story with Bulldozer is different and its remarkably similar to how they approach GPU up to today: as an iterative work in progress. You basically buy something that isn't fully optimized, and then you get to say 'ooh aah' every time AMD releases an update because performance increased. Unfortunately when the competition does go all the way, that means you end up with inferior product where optimization always trails reality.

Last edited:
System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
How I envision AMD's Zen2 roadmap:
[…]
Of course, this is all pulled straight out of my rear end. Still, one is allowed to dream, no?
Can I beat that please? Since I dreamed about Intel being at least somewhat competent all out of a sudden too!
bgrin15x18.gif

Intel could – and I want that being understood as my forecast for their oh so awesome and totally revealing event on December 11th (hint: It won't be …) – they could help themselves quite a bit, if they just blatantly copy AMD's Fineglue. Whereas I strongly guess, that they will do exactly this;

How I'm envision Intel's near future roud-map:

Prediction:
For the consumer-market, Intel copies AMD's (UMI's?) HBM-alike MCP-approach and starts to manufature CPUs being glued-together (hurr, hurr) from complete and rather unchanged unaltered common CPU-Dies using QPI UPI, like two dual-core and quad-core Dies on a single chip – pretty much what they're about to do now with Cascade Lake in the server-space. So a rather common approach on unaltered MCP-level, just whole Dies combined unaltered at PCB-level.

After that, Intel in their second coming copies AMD on technology-level (once again) in the direction of a 'clustered CPU' and starts with a modular assembly using chiplets of different manufatured node-sizes too, connected (optimally hopefully) via their EMIB. That way they would be able to manufacture tiny core-chiplets which shall be reduced to e.g. only 4 cores per chiplet (or just 2 cores or even a single one). Such embodied pure-core chiplet or core-complex would be so tiny, that Intel could fab such chiplets hopefully even on their broken totally working on track™ 10nm node.

That way, they wouldn't have to give up their ardently loved black hole called iGPU too (or how I like to call it: »Adventures of The Mighty Blue Electron facing Competition: The Road towards Iris-Graphics«), while still bringing it in as a dedicated modular chiplet on e.g. 22nm 14nm.

So, tiny dedicated and independent core-complexes for the CPU-core part – let's call them CCi for now (Core Complex Independency) – while bringing in the rest of it on 14nm or even 22nm (given that their 28 nm process stopgap isn't still running yet …). All that as a modular Cluster-CPU put glued-together on actual Die-level as chiplets.

But seriously, ... that way, a) Intel could save their own ass over the time-span while they literally has nothing left (to lose) until they come up with their a hopefully newly revamped architecture, b) use and thus save their disastrous 10nm-fiasco (without the obvious need to just write it off [since for anything more than a Dual-core that node's yields are evidently out for the count]) and they c) even would come down from their insanely expensive monolithic Die-approach while even saving huge manufacturing- and processing-costs and thus d) increase profits.

Sounds quite like a plan, doesn't it?! Actually like a real epic masterplan I must say! I wonder why no-one else hasn't come up with such brilliancy yet?! … oh, wait!

Well, one can dream, can I?
abash19x18.gif

Anyway, I'm thrilled!

Smartcom

Last edited:
System Name N/A
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Storage SSD
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
You mean once on 32nm & twice on 28nm? As for Intel ~ remember Tick Tock, which is now Tick Tock Tick Tick Tick :laugh:

Lisa Su said that work on Zen2 began 4 years back, sometime after that they would've realized that their vision could only be fulfilled on 7nm. Like wise for Intel they've been working on Icelake for 4~6 years & even if one assumes it could theoretically be backported to 14nm+++ that simply wouldn't work without major compromises to the final design. Just an FYI retail chips are rumored to feature AVX512, which is simply not possible on this node. That IPC gain includes a hefty one time benefit from AVX512.

You are right 32 nm too(Vishera and Piledriver), plus 28 nm(Steamroller and Excavator), 4 iterations.
Skylake-X has AVX512 in 14 nm, so mainstream AVX512 in 14 nm can be possible.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I have read that very article. It says the CPU is built to run at 95W by default, but that TDP can be adjusted to squeeze more juice out of it.
Maybe people have been unaware till now, but this a trick that has been employed for a while by both Intel and AMD. The only thing that changed is Intel decided to put fewer numbers on the box. The numbers were apparently easily accessible to the people that wrote that article, so it's not like Intel keeps them secret.
1 - Yes, yes I am sure about that.

My apology, I didn't know you had the power to decide what's reasonable and what's not reasonable around here.

2 - Intel wants to claim it can be the fastest gaming CPU while being 95W TDP. That's simply not true. It's 95W, or it's fast. One or the other.

It's not a 95W part at the same time as being the fastest gaming CPU.
It's not the fastest gaming CPU at 95W.

Why are you so insistent on defending their clear attempt to advertise a dichotomous product in a misleading way? What do you get out of refusing to admit that Intel's CPU draws as much power as it actually does?
I didn't realize you know what Intel wants to claim either.

To me this is extremely simple: people are stupid, you put more than one number on the box, they get confused. Intel realized that and decided not to put several TDPs on the box anymore.
For those genuinely curious about the platform and how to properly tweak it, all the info is right here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html (search for PL2)

System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
Isn't Cannon Lake's infamous i3 8121U their first CPU within the mainstream space which features AVX-512 already?

Edit: @bug That TDP-classification of just 95W still is just deceptive …
Though that was without question the whole intention from the get-go when they started rating it that way, based on base-clocks.
It was an (working) approach to make look their chips more energy-efficiency while the efficiency of those chips didn't really changed at all.

Smartcom

Last edited:
I have read that very article. It says the CPU is built to run at 95W by default, but that TDP can be adjusted to squeeze more juice out of it.
Maybe people have been unaware till now, but this a trick that has been employed for a while by both Intel and AMD. The only thing that changed is Intel decided to put fewer numbers on the box. The numbers were apparently easily accessible to the people that wrote that article, so it's not like Intel keeps them secret.

My apology, I didn't know you had the power to decide what's reasonable and what's not reasonable around here.

I didn't realize you know what Intel wants to claim either.

To me this is extremely simple: people are stupid, you put more than one number on the box, they get confused. Intel realized that and decided not to put several TDPs on the box anymore.
For those genuinely curious about the platform and how to properly tweak it, all the info is right here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html (search for PL2)
From the Anandtech article:
"Over the last decade, while the use of the term TDP has not changed much, the way that its processors use a power budget has. The recent advent of six-core and eight-core consumer processors going north of 4.0 GHz means that we are seeing processors, with a heavy workload, go beyond that TDP value. In the past, we would see quad-core processors have a rating of 95W but only use 50W, even at full load with turbo applied. As we add on the cores, without changing the TDP on the box, something has to give. "

There has been a change from what was before.

You are right 32 nm too(Vishera and Piledriver), plus 28 nm(Steamroller and Excavator), 4 iterations.
Skylake-X has AVX512 in 14 nm, so mainstream AVX512 in 14 nm can be possible.
SKL-X is huge, the cheapest variants cost what 8~10x the cost of the cheapest mainstream chip, not to mention the area dedicated towards AVX is also huge.
So no ICL, if it has AVX512, is not possible on any variant of 14nm.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
From the Anandtech article:
"Over the last decade, while the use of the term TDP has not changed much, the way that its processors use a power budget has. The recent advent of six-core and eight-core consumer processors going north of 4.0 GHz means that we are seeing processors, with a heavy workload, go beyond that TDP value. In the past, we would see quad-core processors have a rating of 95W but only use 50W, even at full load with turbo applied. As we add on the cores, without changing the TDP on the box, something has to give. "

There has been a change from what was before.
Yes, I believe I have acknowledged that earlier. Depending on which manufacturer had the upper hand in power draw, they were quick to use the absolute power draw as TDP. And boast about how they are using the "right" metric. As soon as they lost that crown, they moved back to TDP meaning average power draw.

Keep in mind cTDP is not new. It has been with us since 2012 (actually introduced by AMD, not Intel), but we've been used to seeing it used the other way around, in laptops.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
It appears to be a waste of materials to make anything less than 8 core to me.
Yes, an 8 core with 2 disabled is what I meant. It'll probably be a great budget chip.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Oh please, stop the apologism. The 9900K will work within a 95W power envelope, yes. At 3.6GHz base clock, with occasional jumps to higher speeds where the cooling solution's "thermal capacitance" can be leveraged.

But these chips and this silicon aren't designed to be 3.6GHz parts in daily use. They are ~4.7GHz parts that Intel reduced the base clocks on, in order to be able to claim a 95W TDP. If you had the choice between running a 7700K and a 9900K at base clocks, the 7700K would actually get you the better gaming performance in most games. Would you say that's Intel's intention? To create a market where a CPU 2 generations old, with half the cores, outperforms their current flagship in exactly the task Intel advertise the 9900K to perform?

Or would you say that actually, Intel has transitioned from using boost clock as "This is extra performance if you can cool it", to using boost clock as the figure expected to sell the CPU, and therefore the figure most users expect to see in use?

You can clearly see this in the progression of the flagships, each generation.

6700K - 4.0GHz Base, 4 Cores, 95W TDP
7700K - 4.2GHz Base, 4 Cores, 95W TDP
8700K - 3.7GHz Base, 6 Cores, 95W TDP
9900K - 3.6GHz Base, 8 Cores, 95W TDP.

Oh well would you look at that - As soon as Intel started adding cores, they dropped the base clocks dramatically in order to keep their "95W TDP at base clocks" claim technically true. But look at the all core boost clocks:

4.0GHz, 4.4GHz, 4.3GHz, 4.7GHz

They dipped by 100MHz on the 8700K, to prevent a problem similar to the 7700K, which was known to spike in temperature even under adequate cooling, only to come back up on the 9900K, but this time with Solder TIM to prevent that from happening.

Single core is the same story - 4.2, 4.5, 4.7, 5.0. A constant increase in clockspeed each generation.

Like I said - Boost is no longer a boost. Boost has become the expected performance standard of Intel chips. Once you judge the chips on that basis, the 9900K reveals itself to be a power hungry monster that makes the hottest Prescott P4 chips look mild in comparison.

This is just so wrong.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I disagree, for one very simple reason - Tooling up production for 2 different physical products/dies would likely be more expensive than the material savings in not using as much silicon per product. This stuff is not cheap to do, and in CPU manufacture, volume savings are almost always much more dramatic than design/material savings.

Serving Mainstream, HEDT, and Server customers from a single die integrated into multiple packages, is one of the main reasons AMD are in such good shape right now - Intel has to produce their Mainstream, LCC, HCC, and XCC dies and then bin and disable cores on all 4 of them for each market segment. AMD only has to produce and bin one die, to throw onto a variety of packages at *every level* of their product stack.

It's not even worth producing a second die unless the move would bring in not only more profit, but enough extra profit to completely cover the cost of tooling up for that. Bear in mind here that I mean something very specific:

If AMD spends 1bn to produce a second die, and rakes in 1.5bn extra profit over last year, that doesn't necessarily mean tooling up for the extra die was worth it. What if their profits still would have gone up by 1bn anyway, using a single die in production? If that were the case, tooling up just cost AMD a cool $1,000,000,000 in order to make $500,000,000. Sure, they might have gained a bit more marketshare, but not only did it lose them money, it also ended up making their product design procedures more complex and caused additional overheads right the way up through every level of the company, keeping track of the two independent pieces of silicon. It also probably means having further stratification in motherboards and chipsets, whereas right now AMD are very flexible in what they can do to bring these packages to older chipsets or avoid bringing in new ones.

Edit: Not to mention, that using a single, much higher capability die, has other benefits - Like for example being able to provide customers with a *much* longer support period for upgrades - something that has already won them sales with their "AM4 until 2020" approach bringing in consumers who are sick of Intel's socket and chipset-hopping.

Or simply being able to unlock CCXs on new products as and when the market demands that - After all, why would you intentionally design a product that reduces your ability to respond to competition, when your competition is Intel, who you *know* are scrambling to use their higher R&D budget to smack you down again before you get too far ahead?
You're not wrong in terms of a single design being far cheaper, the only issue is that AMD has had two different dice for Ryzen since the launch of Raven Ridge. What I'm proposing is nothing more than adapting 2nd-gen APU dice to fit within the broader "MCM with I/O die" paradigm. There's going to be a low-end die for mobile no matter what - the sales volumes and need for power draw optimization in that market are too high for them to use disabled 8-core dice for the 15W mobile parts. They didn't for Zen or Zen+, and they won't for Zen2.

Using disabled 8-core dice for low-end 2c4t 15W mobile parts with near zero margin for $400 laptops will not fly, no matter what. If yields on 7nm are bad enough for this to be a viable solution, that's a significant problem, and if yields are good, they'd need to disable working silicon to sell as <$100 mobile parts with next-to-no margin. In the millions, as that's the numbers those markets operate in. That billion dollars would suddenly become inconsequential as they'd be wasting higher-grade dice to sell as low-end crap for no profit. It doesn't take much of this for a smaller, better suited design to become the cheaper solution.

Yes, I believe I have acknowledged that earlier. Depending on which manufacturer had the upper hand in power draw, they were quick to use the absolute power draw as TDP. And boast about how they are using the "right" metric. As soon as they lost that crown, they moved back to TDP meaning average power draw.

Keep in mind cTDP is not new. It has been with us since 2012 (actually introduced by AMD, not Intel), but we've been used to seeing it used the other way around, in laptops.
So I guess what the previous poster and probably others are complaining about is that Intel didn't change the TDP spec on the box. They are finding themselves in a hard spot but pretending that everything is fine, magically doubling the core count while going higher on turbo at the exact same power level using virtually the same process node. However this is not the whole truth and different (key word here) than the past. As Anandtech states:
"So where do we go from here? I'd argue that Intel needs to put two power numbers on the box:
  • TDP (Peak) for PL2
  • TDP (Sustained) for PL1
This way Intel and other can rationalise a high peak power consumption (mostly), as well as the base frequency response that is guaranteed."

This is just so wrong.
Read the Anandtech article and then come back and see how you think about what's going on with Intel TDP numbers.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
So I guess what the previous poster and probably others are complaining about is that Intel didn't change the TDP spec on the box. They are finding themselves in a hard spot but pretending that everything is fine, magically doubling the core count while going higher on turbo at the exact same power level using virtually the same process node. However this is not the whole truth and different (key word here) than the past. As Anandtech states:
"So where do we go from here? I'd argue that Intel needs to put two power numbers on the box:
  • TDP (Peak) for PL2
  • TDP (Sustained) for PL1
This way Intel and other can rationalise a high peak power consumption (mostly), as well as the base frequency response that is guaranteed."

Read the Anandtech article and then come back and see how you think about what's going on with Intel TDP numbers.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo
This is really not complicated. More cores will draw more power, there's no bending the laws of physics. However, if you lower the base clock, you will draw less current (power does not scale linear with frequency), thus your heat sink will be cooler. When the heat sink starts cooler, it can accommodate higher frequencies for a while, until it heats up.
Again, I see no trickery at work. Just a company finding a way to squeeze more cores on a production node they were planning to leave behind at least two years ago. Both Nvidia and AMD had to do something similar when TSMC failed with their 22nm node and everybody got stuck with 28nm for a couple more years than originally planned.

Isn't Cannon Lake's infamous i3 8121U their first CPU within the mainstream space which features AVX-512 already?

Edit: @bug That TDP-classification of just 95W still is just deceptive …
Though that was without question the whole intention from the get-go when they started rating it that way, based on base-clocks.
It was an (working) approach to make look their chips more energy-efficiency while the efficiency of those chips didn't really changed at all.

Smartcom
Well, I don't see it as deceptive, because 95W is all a board manufacturer has to support.
But when you start using words like "without question" to make your point, you're kind of preventing us further discussing this. Have a nice day.

System Name N/A
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Storage SSD
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
SKL-X is huge, the cheapest variants cost what 8~10x the cost of the cheapest mainstream chip, not to mention the area dedicated towards AVX is also huge.
So no ICL, if it has AVX512, is not possible on any variant of 14nm.

Smartcom

So a cheap 8121U has AVX512 and also the $359 7800X 14 nm, so mainstream AVX512 is a reality that could have been widely spread by now.

Let me provide some perspective for the 29% IPC gain.

The test used, AFAICT, was a concurrent discrete kernel workload - running on an unknown dataset of an unknown size - and an RSA cryptography workload - unknown version, complexity, optimizations, etc...

The IPC values gives us some clue about how this was run.

First, dkern() frequently runs almost entirely within the FPU and performance is more a factor of branch prediction and getting results from the FPU back into an ALU branch pipeline. It's actually a pretty decent generic test for the front end and FPU - not coincidentally the only two things AMD really talked about in regards to core improvements.

RSA is a heavy integer and floating point load. It does pow() (exponents) and gcd() (greatest common denominator) operations, integer comparisons, type casts, and all manner of operation that usually hammers ALUs and FPUs in turn (rather than concurrently). It uses different ALUs than dkern() and mostly can benefit from the same types of improvements - as well as the CPU recognizing, for example, the gcd() code pattern and optimizing it on the fly on multiple ALUs concurrently.

Together, this CPU was being hammered during testing by two workloads that do quite well with instruction level parallelism (ILP) - the magic behind IPC with x86.

We can't read anything more from these results other than Zen 2 is ~30% faster when doing mixed integer and floating point workloads.

However, that particular scenario is actually very common. For games, specifically, we should see a large jump - mixed integer, branch, and floating point work loads with significant cross communication is exactly what the cores see in heavy gaming loads - Intel has won here because they have a unified scheduler, making it easier to get FPU results back to dependent instructions which will execute on an ALU (which might even be the same port on Intel...), it looks like AMD has aimed for superiority on this front.