• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Betrays AMD's Socket AM4 Longevity Promise: No Zen2 for 300-series?

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
It looks like MSI don't want people buying there motherboards at all.
The one thing I'm well aware of is many people will actually buy a new x570 motherboard regardless of backwards compatibility. To ensure every single feature can be tapped into with the new Processors.

So this is simply a MSI greed tactic that WILL backfire.

Any company that follow suit should also see low overall sales.

SL2

AMD is not a part of the decision at hand. Keep the blame where it belongs.
You're right, but it's actually not a bad thing if AMD gets some of the blame, because this could possibly make AMD put some pressure on MSI.

Have AMD officially said that the 300 series will work with Matisse? If so then it's up to AMD to make it happen, motherboard vendors tend to get lazy from time to time and might need some pushing to get back on track.

MSI trying to push Intel-like tactics on AMD products, even to the point of going against what AMD themselves already publicly committed to? Bad precedence, bad judgment, and bad business IMO.

What I'm REALLY curious about are motherboards like the Asrock x470 Tai Chi which have massively overspec VRM and power delivery solution; will they get a x570 bios update because the board itself can certainly handle it.

because it is the most make sense move for motherboard maker. bad judgment? for consumer it might be. bad business? was it bad if they can sell more product that way?

RedBull108

I had enough of MSI when even the fan on the GTX 660 failed and i have seen plenty of people with the same problems on GTX 9xx/1XXX series. Crap quality overall, after that 660 i avoided them for every single component and looks like it was a good thing to do

It looks like MSI don't want people buying there motherboards at all.
The one thing I'm well aware of is many people will actually buy a new x570 motherboard regardless of backwards compatibility. To ensure every single feature can be tapped into with the new Processors.

So this is simply a MSI greed tactic that WILL backfire.

Any company that follow suit should also see low overall sales.

which is better? knowing they probably going to buy new mobo or guarantee them to get the new mobo whether they like it or not? for consumer it is simple greed.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
o_O:kookoo::shadedshu::wtf: If they insist in doing this, they wll lose many MB sales. I was ready to get their B450 Tomahawk later in the year and would advice a friend of mine to do the same but I will go to Asrock or Gigabyte if they don't change their plans. So, let's make some noise to change their mind on that. ;) Customer is always right after all...

System Name Phanteks Primo Mod
Processor I7 6700k@4,2GHz all cores
Motherboard Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9
Cooling Phanteks C350i
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4 3000
Video Card(s) EVGA 980TI SC with HK4
Storage 2,5GB SSDs
Display(s) Acer Predator 27" 1440p G-synced IPS
Case Phanteks Primo Modded
Audio Device(s) SBx G5
Power Supply BQ Dark Power Pro 10 750W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Being german, I can tell that in Terms of Translation, the email is Crystal clear and to the Point. Given that this may not represent MSI´s real reaction, but an uninformed (lazy) reply, I´d say wait and see. I have not jumped the AM4 Train yet, as I did not buy AMDs promise that even gen1 Zen boards actually can handle zen+ or even zen2 in the first place. The platform is interesting, but right now there is no benefit for me switching from Skylake to Zen+ in my working Scenarios (gaming!).

You're right, but it's actually not a bad thing if AMD gets some of the blame, because this could possibly make AMD put some pressure on MSI.

Have AMD officially said that the 300 series will work with Matisse? If so then it's up to AMD to make it happen, motherboard vendors tend to get lazy from time to time and might need some pushing to get back on track.
Even then AMD can't force MSI or any other mobo maker to update their BIOS, making the switch to Zen2 possible. MSI & others can & likely will give BS reasons to skip the AGESA updates altogether.

D

Deleted member 158293

because it is the most make sense move for motherboard maker. bad judgment? for consumer it might be. bad business? was it bad if they can sell more product that way?

Indeed they want to sell more product, especially with artificial limitations is more profitable. Bad business is directly publicly contradicting your business partner in the process.

Even if msi thinks their branding can take the PR hit, then it's a calculated risk with limited upside. Unlike corporate, marketing, hype, and branding for the consumer market is vital.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I speculate that the boards will work fine but might miss out somewhat on Precision Boost Overdrive 2 which will be part of Ryzen 2. I actually have had a great relationship with the MSI BIOS engineers in the past. They quickly wrote me a beta BIOS for my 890FX board to support AM3+ within about 3 days of request, and a second beta BIOS a week later to extend my DDR3 overclocking to 2000MT/s despite the board only being rated to 1600MT/s.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650 WiFi
Cooling Frost Commander 140
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -50 uv
Storage KC3000 1TB
Display(s) NZXT 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
o_O:kookoo::shadedshu::wtf: If they insist in doing this, they wll lose many MB sales. I was ready to get their B450 Tomahawk later in the year and would advice a friend of mine to do the same but I will go to Asrock or Gigabyte if they don't change their plans. So, let's make some noise to change their mind on that. ;) Customer is always right after all...

we shouldn't have to make noise to change their mind. I already decided my x570 board will not be MSI, welcome to the free markets. learn how to PR better nubs is my only advice to all the companies.

Not surprising in today's market. I'm just curious how MSI has managed to stay in business at all up to this point. I've personally never had a single MSI product work well, regardless of which tier of product it was, from the basics to high end, they've all not worked properly or at all.

MSI also make their GPUs, this is like chopping your hand to end that scratching itch.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
maby not open with calling vendors greedy based on the information provided by one T1 support agent in Germany ?
to much speculation and faulty assumptions here, I expected better

this crap has been making the rounds with some sites claiming that the bios chip size on B3xx boards was to small to accommodate the microcode, which given that the microcode is a few bytes to a couple of kb and most bios images are < 8MB
is bullshit, so now somebody is blaming the vrm ? in a poorly translated email exchange, ill but that for a dollar

is there possibly unforeseen compatibility oversight on some of the lower end boards, Probly is it a show stopper probably not ...

so why don't we just stop with the click bait articles and stop writing scathing bs posts based on one user dealing with one T1 agent over email
seriously bta you should know better
This is just FUD for now.

Expect MSI to speak out within a week and correct this.

If not, then yes, they're indeed stupid in the face.
I’ve got to second this. One article based upon a not official statement by MSI as a company, and members of this forum pile on like lemmings on a train to Hell.

How about we wait and see for the veracity of this information? It may not be the plan or official policy of MSI. Stop getting the torches and pitchforks out based on rumor.

System Name MSI GT72S 6QE
Processor Core i7 6820HK
Motherboard Intel Sunrise Point CM236
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 2x 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4-RAM (2133 MHz)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8192 MB
Storage 1 ssd 3 hard drives
Display(s) 17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 (LGD0469), IPS, Full HD
Case ??!!!
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC899
Power Supply most beautiful brick you have ever seen
If anyone is looking for me, I am out back sharpening my pitchfork.
#outrage

My German is rusty so ran that through Google Translate:

"No it will not, this will be for X470 and B450. "

Yeah, basicly the higher end chipsets. However chipsets these days are build into the CPU. The motherboard simply offers connectivity and i think it has something todo with the PCI-E lanes or so.

and members of this forum pile on like lemmings on a train to Hell.
Simple reason for this. IF true, MSI is effectively cutting off upgrade paths for many users that expected to be able to upgrade just a CPU.
How about we wait and see for the veracity of this information? It may not be the plan or official policy of MSI. Stop getting the torches and pitchforks out based on rumor.
Prudent of course, however there's nothing wrong with a bit of preemptive outrage to motivate MSI to avoid such a foolish pitfall.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I had enough of MSI when even the fan on the GTX 660 failed and i have seen plenty of people with the same problems on GTX 9xx/1XXX series. Crap quality overall, after that 660 i avoided them for every single component and looks like it was a good thing to do
So one bad fan on a GPU 4 generations ago, and that makes MSI crap? The rest of your statement is laughable, as their 9xx and 10xx series GPU’s have been consistently high quality and cooling.

Also, GPU’s and motherboards are separate issues. Let’s keep them that way.

Yeah, basicly the higher end chipsets. However chipsets these days are build into the CPU. The motherboard simply offers connectivity and i think it has something todo with the PCI-E lanes or so.
Only true for AMD, Intel still needs a dedicated chipset at least for now.

So one bad fan on a GPU 4 generations ago, and that makes MSI crap? The rest of your statement is laughable, as their 9xx and 10xx series GPU’s have been consistently high quality and cooling.

Also, GPU’s and motherboards are separate issues. Let’s keep them that way.
I generally gloss over statements made by new users unless they're asking for help.. That one in particular. Just troll bait..