• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Move 3D XPoint Memory Manufacturing to China

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With its IMFlash Technology joint-venture with Micron coming to an end, Intel is finding itself with manufacturing challenges for its memory businesses. The company holds IP to both 3D NAND flash and its own invention 3D XPoint memory, which it believes will succeed NAND flash in performance and endurance. The company is now mulling to move manufacturing of 3D XPoint to a foundry in China. Intel currently manufactures this exotic new memory at an IMFlash Technology facility in Utah. Intel's $1.3 billion stake-sale to Micron pushes it out of this facility.

Under the terms of the stake-sale, Micron allows Intel to continue to manufacture 3D XPoint at IMFlash for a year, after which it must manufacture it elsewhere. The transfer of stake is scheduled for October 31st, which means Intel's manufacturing in Utah will continue till October 2020. In the meantime, Intel is planning to move manufacturing to its Fab 68, located in Dalian, China. Intel is now manufacturing 1st and 2nd generation 3D Xpoint, while its 3rd generation is under development, and was earlier slated for initial manufacturing at Intel's Fab 11X in New Mexico, USA. It's not known if Intel has changed these plans. 3rd generation 3D XPoint hits mass-production in 2021.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Little Girl
Processor Intel Q9650 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte x48 DQ6
Cooling liquid cooling
Memory 4gb (2x2) OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD6950 unlock to Asus 6970 specs
Storage Crucial CT128M225 128gb SSD
Display(s) Acer 27" LCD @ 2048x1152
Case DIY (spit & glue, ducktape, cardboard)
Audio Device(s) On-board HD Audio
Power Supply ABS Tagan 850w
Software Win7 64bit
I see China taking over Hollywood, the entire household goods, majority of car company production, all electronics. But oh no, they're not taking over the world at all. Relax, here's a free USB dongle.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Increased tariffs might yet see them move to New Mexico.

I see China taking over Hollywood, the entire household goods, majority of car company production, all electronics. But oh no, they're not taking over the world at all. Relax, here's a free USB dongle.
You seem a little confused, take a Bex and have a lay down, if symptoms persist see a doctor.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
They should be prepared to have their IP stolen within an year ;)

So other companies moves out of China in fear of US trade war... but Intel does the opposite... mkay!

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
A very odd decision...

1.) Giving such advanced tech to the Chinese government is an interesting business decision, to say the least...
2.) Have Intel not heard about that little minor trade war thingy that's about to kick off big time?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So other companies moves out of China in fear of US trade war... but Intel does the opposite... mkay!

I think people, particularly stock investors have been too bullish on Intel for too long. Zen is going to dominate with this next release, not only consumer sector but also big data and server sector, so many massive investments into EPYC from supercomputers to big players such as Dell. Intel is in deep trouble in the coming years, everything is fine now, they can float on the monopoly they had there for awhile, but the world is a changing. I see Intel stock price being almost garbage within 10 years.

AMD will prob cap out this year at around $50 a share. I wish I had bought AMD when it was $1-2 a share, AMD and the Zen design is in it for the long haul. The third release of Zen this summer should have all the kinks worked out.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
See what misinformation does to you? If you want to do business in China, you're required by law to transfer the know how over there. There's no stealing involved. Just the inability to reciprocate, because China doesn't have much IP you'd be interested in.

The thing is, I'd love to see XPoint's potential realized sooner rather than later. And this split from Micron + shifting manufacturing around doesn't seem to be helping.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Which is basically legalized theft, besides there are other reports which suggest the lengths China has gone to in order for them to make nearly everything indigenously.
Can you really blame them? The US has emerged as a superpower after it grew an industry so productive they could throw out equipment to win two world wars.

China is copying even that: they're growing industrial prowess at any cost. Should North Korea, Iran or some other party spark a fuse, China will get their moment.

I don't know why Intel built a fab there. I have been inside of one of their fans in Chandler, AZ and it looks deserted, barely any humans, all is robotized. So costs with personnel must be minimal.
Just greed... probably China paid off some of Intel's CEOs. Or blackmailed them.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I don't know why Intel built a fab there. I have been inside of one of their fans in Chandler, AZ and it looks deserted, barely any humans, all is robotized. So costs with personnel must be minimal.
Just greed... probably China paid off some of Intel's CEOs. Or blackmailed them.
Staff is probably not the primary cost, there's also the price of sourcing fab's inputs and such. Tough, the more automated the plant, the more skillful personnel is needed to keep it running.

System Name poopy-chan
Processor 7950x
Motherboard asus x670e rog crosshair hero
Cooling dark rock pro 4
Memory 64GB kingston 5600
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage msi m480, kingston fury renegade, 860evo, 860qvo, 870qvo etc. 15TB ssd total, don't ask
Display(s) hp x32 1440p 165Hz
Case LianLi
Audio Device(s) creative sbx g6, dt 770 pro, hd 600
Power Supply HX1200
Mouse black but with rgb, shiny
Keyboard varmillo moonlight with numpad
Software win11
Which is basically legalized theft, besides there are other reports which suggest the lengths China has gone to in order for them to make nearly everything indigenously.

It's not a theft. It's just a usual protection measures related to foreign investments and it's used by many countries. It's used to ensure that both sides can benefit from these investments, in other case it opens up the possibility for investing side to simply exploit human resources and natural resources of other country and take their business elsewhere after that or simply exploit it until it turns into some third world banana republic abused by corporate machine in order to make it's resources even cheaper. No one forces Intel or other corporate entities to invest in China. This is just basic economy.

It's not a theft. It's just a usual protection measures related to foreign investments and it's used by many countries. It's used to ensure that both sides can benefit from these investments, in other case it opens up the possibility for investing side to simply exploit human resources and natural resources of other country and take their business elsewhere after that or simply exploit it until it turns into some third world banana republic abused by corporate machine in order to make it's resources even cheaper. No one forces Intel or other corporate entities to invest in China. This is just basic economy.
I don't remember any other country forcing tech transfer as a precondition to accessing their (domestic) market. This is by no means fair & certainly not a "safety" feature! Pretty sure Siemens & many other German companies are seething after handing over their designs like Velaro, now China not only makes Maglev (trains) for themselves but also exports them to the detriment of Siemens :ohwell:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Intel's got FAB's building in US, Ireland and Israel, two of those matter very much to the current POTUS. He won't touch Intel.

I don't remember any other country forcing tech transfer as a precondition to accessing their (domestic) market. This is by no means fair & certain not a "safety" feature! Pretty sure Siemens & many other German companies are seething after handing over their designs of Velaro, now China not only makes Maglev trains for themselves but also exports them :ohwell:

R&D theft was always part of a game. Old Greeks learned from Egyptians, Romans mainly from Greeks, North Africa and Middle East from Greeks and Romans, Europe in "dark" middle ages regained forgotten knowledge from European Muslims on Iberia peninsula and southern Italy, US "stole" know how from Britain, Germany, France. Japan, South Korea stole knowledge from US and now in globalized World China is stealing knowledge from everybody. It's how the Civilization as a whole progresses. Patents and taxes can slow it, but not stop it.

Really ~ need I remind you of Tibet, reeducation camps, CCP claims over SCS, Senkaku islands, CPEC among so many others? That's not called progress in my eyes!

Afganistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen … Guantanamo, 144 drone strikes per day, unrecognition of International Criminal Court (ICC), unrecognition of IPCC, current sabotaging and bullying of Venezuela, Iran… Is that called human progress in your eyes?

Last edited:
So you're comparing mainly wars with what China is doing today? Your argument in defense of China is ~ this is how bad the US is, so they can't possibly be any worse :rolleyes:
International Criminal Court (ICC), unrecognition of IPCC
Frankly ICC is useless IMO, IPCC is a policy reversal by the current US admin. Conveniently, of course this is the same argument used by China ~ hey look at the big (bad) US.

I'm not defending the US in any of these matters, however your defense is laughable to say the least. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited:
So you're comparing wars with what China is doing today? So your argument in defense of China is ~ this is how bad the US is, so they can't possibly be any worse :rolleyes:
Frankly ICC is useless IMO, IPCC is a policy reversal by the current US admin. Conveniently, of course this is the same argument used by China ~ hey look at the big (bad) US.

I'm not defending the US in any of these matters, however your defense is laughable to say the least.

IPCC useless? Tell that to your children or grand children when they'll try to grow enough food not to starve to death in vein.
ICC useless? Of course when you're afraid your army officers and politicians might be charged of war crimes.
Let's face if, China has stopped playing by Western rules and we're scared of that. If we like it or not China will become the largest economy in the World very soon. With that also comes power. It will be the dominant force od South East Asia and larger. If climate change or nuclear winter don't kill us all before.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64

That's oversimplified IMO. The sum of capital, know-how etc. makes up the "barrier of entry" to any business. IP's alone doesn't grant you hop-in-the-game-ticket. Some businesses are "protected" by the very nature of the venture. You have two main plane-building companies, two main CPU and GPU companies. I don't think that IP's alone will make China the next guys to enter the CPU arena, but I might be wrong of course.

I said ICC (not IPCC) is useless, learn to read first. What good is the ICC (or UN) if it can't prevent genocides or bring policy reversals in how countries deal with matters of race, religion, ethnic cleansing et al?
The ICC is just a show pony as far as I'm concerned.
China has stopped playing by Western rules and we're scared of that.
China never played by any rules, you're delusional if you think they ever did.

I said ICC (not IPCC) is useless, learn to read first. What good is the ICC (or UN) if it can't prevent genocides or bring policy reversals in how countries deal with matters of race, religion, ethnic cleansing et al?
The ICC is just a show pony as far as I'm concerned.
China never played by any rules, you're delusional if you think they ever did.

ICC has preventive role. If politicians would live in fear that their decisions could lead to being charged of war crimes and locked up for life, they'd think twice before committing war crime atrocities.
China has played by western rules since opening up so it could become a member of WTO, SWIFT network etc. But now they say F... it, we won't play your game, we're too big to be sanctioned anyway. Who can blame them with all the craziness happening on the international stage?